Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Kevin, glad you got a new car, they've gone up here so much few can afford them since Covid.  I have my evacuation laptop which I updated Monday, ugh, I hate Microsoft and McAfee both.  Can't get away from them. My PC is going for the world's record on Windows 7...I love it, not so invasive.  I don't need Cortana, etc.

@kevin

Are you affected by the wildfires in Canada?  Worried about you!  We have evacuations everywhere, just got off one and now they're saying lightning today/tomorrow. I'm leaving to take care of my grandkids Tues-Thurs and Hurricane Hilary is supposed to hit Tuesday...can't find out it's impact on the Cascade foothills...hope I have a home to come back to!

• Like 2

In Central Alberta we have no danger, its Southern interior of BC(Kelowna Area on Large Lake that is in Alert status ) and the Far North capital of Yellowknife is 90% evacuated...The fire up there is on Pause about 25 miles from the town....Need rain and cooler weather which is here or super close....No loss of life and limited structure losses in the major urban area,s...

• Like 3

That is good news Kevin.  Our California coast and further inland, they are having a terrible time.  On top of the heat, a hurricane (named Hilary, of course), has even caused an earthquake.  And then there is Maui.  We just try to stay inside and hope the A/C keeps working.  Stay safe USA.  Strange situations.

• Like 2

Everything here is improving....the strategy is over due on the Evacs and we can aways come back ....some concerns on the evacs of Native children up north without proper consent...Always something...Real news is fire is not advancing and rain in forecast....and its cool in the morning 37F.....Golf tomorrow with Judi's Grandson, last time before school..

• Like 3

I'd give anything for rain!  Lightning predicted Friday, I hope not!

I love T&L storms but not the fires lightning starts.

Kevin, I got your FB message and was so relieved to hear you guys are okay!  A nearby fire the evacs were just downgraded so people can come home but need to stay packed.  Our air is better this morning than it's been in a long time (been in the hundreds), now 56!  I'm going to take care of my grandkids, nervous about the long drive alone, they truly live in the sticks, hard to find, GPS quits...

• Like 1

That's gasreat, Kevin!

The smoke at home is bad, one good day (the day I left) then back to the smoke, went back to level 3 on Lookoutl. What, they let people go home for one day?!  Crazy!  One started a mile from my son's job (Salem, OR) so took him an extra hour to get home, poor guy had to work on a van until late last night and has big wigs coming in for his presentation at work this morning, hinging on their planes making it in.

Had fun with the grandkids, going by fast, leave later today...coming home to T&L, hope it doesn't start more fires!

• Like 1

Last 30 hours have been a roller coaster...My youngest Granddaughter, who turns 14 next month but thinks she's 24, ran away(via bedroom window)....her Aunt contacted police, put up posters, step mother was tracking phone activity, Facebook notification posted, and I had stakeout planned today  in suspected neighborhood.....Three AM i got notified Police found her....Still lots of questions but I am, the whole family, are  so relieved she is safe....Challenge now is to figure out why did she left in the first place...

• Sad 2

Kevin, so sorry to hear this, but glad she was found safe. What goes on in the heads of teens is a mystery. They don't grasp the evils that lurk out there. In their minds they are invincible. Hope she will communicate with you.

• Like 4

Oh Kevin, I am so sorry your family is going through this! Very hard! I saw in the news that an 11 year old boy who went missing and then back with foster family, has now run away again.  :( These kids don't think very far ahead, what do they think they're going to do!

I'm saying the same thing....got to find out why she has the need to "run away" or sneak out at the age of 14...The dangers that are out there scares the dickens out of me....We got a Great Grand Daughter and I fear the same things for her..Not a great World out there...

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is almost back to normal, Fires out, Granddaughter good for ten days, school is back in session....I have issue with sick dog, stomach issue(diarreha?).....giving her some pumpkin puree, spirits are good...I'm the one whose not sleeping...3 AM and I'm making a pot of soup(all garden stuff) with dog sleeping on the couch..Have a good Sunday

• Like 2

I had to cook for Arlie daily as he had acute chronic Colitis his whole life, or at least when I got him from rescue. rice, chicken breast (no fat!) yogurt, pumpkin, I had certain veggies I gave him when not in outbreak.  I used it on Kodie when we went to retreat and he got a hold of onion someone dropped on the floor, he was one very sick pup for a couple of days!  Next day amazing recovery.

Air was160 yesterday, don't know what brought it on unless they're doing some backburning, and we'd thought it was all gone!  It was horrid mountains to valley, but esp. up here.

Karen, need an update from you!  Woke up thinking about you this morning...

Dog's half healed but started throwing up a bit this morning...she has good appedite and lots of Energy, made a Vet appointment for Monday just in case things aren't back to normal.....blue skies and smoke is gone... Autumn in a couple of days...love the leaves

• Like 2

Waiting for the fall colors to go with the weather, it was 34 night before last and 50 most of the day, 60 for a short time.  Edenpure running full time but keeping me from freezing just barely.  I don't want to start a fire yet as I go on my retreat in five days and don't want to build one until I get back.

I hope your dog gets better...did he eat something bad? If a Colitis episode, you can try chicken breast (no grease!), yogurt, pumpkin, and rice, it'll help him heal up.  Had to do that with Kodie last year when he got some onions at ladies retreat someone dropped a bunch on the floor.  He was sicker than a dog for two days until his system made it through.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Winter has returned, about 4 inches of snow and cold (15-20 deg)....going to be cold until Halloween..40 deg,,,Leaves still on the trees....Messy clean up in the future but the snow makes things look so clean....The Positive

• Like 1

I'm still sleeping under the cooling blanket.  It is 73 degrees at 10:40 p.m.  I still sleep with the fan and A/C on.  We got one cool day and I turned on the heat and I guess the heated dust made the fire alarm go off.  I turned it off and have not needed it again.  No rain.  If she didn't live so far away I'd go see Karen, our weather must be the same.  I'm going to be the first person griping though when it gets too cold.  Wrap up good.  Enjoy it.  

• Like 1

We're having the same as Kevin except it's further up the mountain with the snow, but we got hail (unpredicted until last night...guess they looked out the window) yesterday.  32 here today & yesterday.  I'm tired of people posting they want snow, I just want to enjoy AUTUMN before it IS winter!

• 1 month later...

Our shuffell board group started up again after about a year ....Had a good time and will return next week for sure...Got a surprise this week end, we are baby sitting the grandchild extra 3 days as the Fathers family is sick( grandfather hospitalized)something that is contagious....Kids mother back on drugs again(still)....Santa Claus has to find her new pair of skates for the Kid for Christmas....weather unseasonally dry and above normal forecast....Strange for up here  We will pay for it.. 

• Like 1

Good luck on the weather Kevin. Good luck with the family situation.  I dread Christmas.  Granddaughter won't come because she and her mom are at (sometimes) a silent war.  I'm trying to hold on to a sanity that at age 81 is tenuous.  My daughter is mental, my granddaughter is full of hate.  Age 24 is not a child anymore, but damage has been done and both want to throw me in the middle.  I do not know how to save me, much less anyone else.  I wish they would not put me in the middle.  Someone is always angry at me because I'm tired. My staying silent makes both angry at me.  Families can kill you.  My son is angry, and like my dad, it seems to come out to the wrong person.  My daughter lives at his house, he wants no part of their anger.  Neither do I.  I remember marrying Billy to get away from my mom.  In 1960, there seemed no other option.  Billy knew it.  Frying pan into the fire.  Made the best of 54 years and I miss my protector.  Best years of my long life. 

It is 55 degrees and sunny.  Got to get groceries.  Get cataracts taken care of in January.  Had cause to go to urgent care, shower made my ear stop up and my aggravating it did not help. I put up with it for three days. The female doc took a lot of time with me just talking.  How do you find a doc that will do that anymore?  Not medical, just talk. My state group insurance picks places that are "free" and I'm sure my insurance paid it, but it was free for me.  You can't say you have a wonderful experience with doctors anymore.  I can now.  I'm glad it was just an aggravation and not serious.  

My sister is in her 14th month of chemo.  I bought her car.  She needed money more than the car.  It was her idea.  I am her transportation nearly every day.  She wants days where she keeps the car and it is in my name, but she is covered under the very expensive insurance that I pay too.  There are tear places on the sides of the bottom where she runs over curbs.  She needed a jeep.  

Have I griped enough?  Golden years?  Someone that was not old made those words up.  

• Like 2