Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Well I thank Kay and George for their sharing the Keto low Carb benefits.....The more I learn about the Keto and intermittent fasting benefits, the more  positive lifestyle I am rewarded with....Finally warming up here, doing some painting inside Garage today...Hopefully  taking Wife out for early Valentines Dinner  this evening....We've been babysitting sick grand daughter last two days(today will be #3), night out is well deserved, my patience is not what it used to be...I'm officially Grumpy.....

• Like 4

Aww, just a sign of getting old, we aren't able to do what we used to, children come to the young for a reason.  We're supposed to be grandparents for visits and holidays!

And you're so welcome, I love our site and doing it...I've learned so much in the over three years since starting this journey to health!

Gained some weight while I was burned, nearly two months I couldn't do much, should have cut my eating back and now I'm paying for it, started this week, cut out desserts and cut back on food, lost two lbs, more to go!  Do NOT want to gain weight back!  Dr. Westman says if you're stalled to cut out peanut butter and almond flour, it's likened to kill me but I have.  

I can’t imagine not having peanut butter!  I live n the stuff for lunch every day.  I’m not trying to lose weight tho.  Also having a tough time eating being so slouched.  Grass always looks greener on the other side.  I’d love to walk.  🙂

• Like 1

I know, right?!  Think of me when you eat it! :D

Big snowstorm coming tonight on, every day except Wed.  Shoveling snow...not my favorite thing to do...

• Like 2

Weather getting cold again up here< starting Feb 22-28(minus 10-15), and that should be it...The Flu is really disrupting things, two grand kids had it bad, Judi really had it  bad for 14 days now, I got off easy .....This being cooped in doesn't help......Bought a portable inflatable Hot tub yesterday, it going in my garage for now....Arrives next week ,after the severe cold ends.....Good news, adding another two holes in my belt, slowly getting smaller...

• Like 1

Peanut Butter is one of my basics, I backed off a lot but a spoonful twice daily is my compromise......I let the dog lick the spoon.....On the serious note, calling a few shelters today to check up on my Daughter, sad issue...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kevin said:

.On the serious note, calling a few shelters today to check up on my Daughter, sad issue...

I know, you hope they are fed and warm.  Do not think it is easy for a good looking young man in those jails in California, but that is how they take winter.  Get caught shoplifting and you are guaranteed shelter.  Such a sad way to get it.  At least their winters against the coast are not that bad.  My son has been out there so often to try to "save" his son, but even after giving him a tent and sleeping bag.  They were sold for the dope or were stolen by stronger people.  It is hard, never thought it would happen like this, but we all have a family member somewhere we cannot help.  You think you can't give up, but even getting as low as possible, they still hang on to the stuff.  My son was lucky to get off it, but like my AA member sister, she got off the liquor with help from rehab.  Grandson came out of rehab saying "sorry, it is the only life I want.  Everything has been done we can do.  They will take anything and you just hope and pray they do not get a hold of Fentanyl and you know it is there.  I'm sorry Kevin.  The stuff has altered their minds,  and sometimes we can't help.  We helped my son, but he wanted to be off of them to please his dad.  He did it by himself.  Same song, second verse.

• Like 2

Some good news about my Marley dog. Dropped her off at 6AM for an ultrasound. They had still not gotten around to her by 1PM so we decided to pick her up and reschedule when they weren't so "busy".  They had done bloodwork and vet says her recovery is miraculous. They had expected her to die when we took her in the first time. Last week her platelets had dropped to 15,000. They have risen to 135,000. She still has a bit of an infection and continues antibiotics. Taking two steroids(one of them probably for life) and unless she fails badly again, the ultrasound is off the table. It has been very expensive, but she is worth every penny.

• Like 5

So happy for you, your family, and for Marley Karen.  Good things do happen.

I saw a quote the other day that reminded me of Marty's dad.  And, I wish we had a million of Marty's dads to help us along now.  If the computers crash, that doc you see 3 times a year, he has no idea what is wrong with you.  I miss the paper charts.  Sometimes they got filed in the wrong place, but eventually they were found.  (and this is how I glow)

sweat.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 7:05 AM, kevin said:

Peanut Butter is one of my basics, I backed off a lot but a spoonful twice daily is my compromise......I let the dog lick the spoon...

Good for you with the belt notches!  My problem is, it's amazing how much peanut butter a spoon can hold!  And Kodie loves licking the spoon!  It can be one of my addictions.  Dr. Westman said if your weight stalls no matter what to leave off the peanut butter and almond flour!  It like to have killed me.  And the video George posted yesterday was good info about fasting,

Sorry, couldn't get it to display as a link.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KarenK said:

They have risen to 135,000.

That's much closer to normal!  That's great, Karen!  So happy for you, is it the steroids?  I took ONE steroid drop for my eye and it raised my BS way too much.  I'm glad he's tolerating it.

13 hours ago, KarenK said:

but she is worth every penny.

Absolutely!  I wish they had a hug emoticon but we're pretty limited here...sad and like, that's it.:wub: (Will use emoji instead.)

Probably the steroids are causing the improvement. The vet was quite surprised. There's no direct cause, nor cure for this disease. Vets just do the best they know how. In this case, it seems to be working. Even if it clears up, it can recur at any time.

• Sad 1

Praying for your Marley!  And I pray no repercussions from the steroids.

Good news is I'm going to assist in a Cat(s) rescue today....Wife's Granddaughter is seeking treatment and needs someone to move her contents....We are making the arrangements which includes the Cats....Temperature is minus 20F.  Trick is getting access, then catching the Cats, and then finding a new owner(s)...... Arranged movers and a storage unit yesterday..       

• Like 2

This is great Kevin.  My daughter and granddaughter did this years ago and both still reflect back on it.  I'm not searching, but think there was something in the Bible about being kind to the smallest creatures.  With my memory it could have been Edgar Allen Poe or Emerson, or some other poet.  I applaud you and your family for this.

• Like 1

Day 1 of of four complete..The two Cats are now in my office together, I'm taking one to a Lady tomorrow and think we may keep the second one...We will pack, bag, and box the apartment  tomorrow' Sunday, and Monday......It's only a one bedroom apartment but it's just so full....Feel sorry for the kid to get herself jammed up like this...

• Like 2

I think I misunderstood Kevin.  My girls worked with a veterinarian taking care of a bunch of cats.  I wish the very best for the granddaughter.  I know it must be tough moving in "minus" degree temperature.  Be safe.  

• Like 1

I can't even imagine going out in weather like that!  Coldest I've ever been was 12 below, recently it was 9 below here.  I was amazed Panther survived but they find places to stay warm.  He stayed above my storage room (houses water tank, pipes, freezer) where I had a heater on.  I think he makes a bed above the insulation.

So kind of you all to help her when she's down.  She may not realize it but you two are her heroes.

It is so cold this morning  Minus 36.....Out to warm up vehicle(plug in), unload vehicle and get moving once I get day light and minor supplies.....Cats ate something last night and used litter box(good sign).....Judi's Granddaughter on 6th day of detox...

• Like 2

And I think 20 is cold!

How long will they keep your granddaughter and what's to ensure not a relapse when she gets out?  Just wondering the time frame...

Good kitties!

2 hours ago, kayc said:

what's to ensure not a relapse when she gets out? 

:No insurance against a relapse ever.  My grandson has been through rehab, and with a "sane" mind when leaving rehab, "I'm sorry, I do not want that way of life" and by that he meant a life of "sanity" without drugs.  Totally sane moment of a mind that had been bent so far into mind blowing drugs that reality is not a life he wanted to live.  Reality is what we live.  They prefer a life that is not reality.  It is almost like the counselors tell my granddaughter "you have to learn to love yourself."  That is good, if the reason you are going to a counselor in the first place is because you hate yourself. Sanity is nice work, if you can reach it.  These past few days, my sister in ICU, visiting hours far apart.  She has to learn to breathe on her own.  We have to learn to live on our own.  As widows and widowers, we understand this "sanity" as much as anyone.  

• Like 2

Your post blew my mind, Marg.   Sanity s  a good thing too.  I  miss mine from when the  active, laughing  days.  Problems were solvable.    Reality was where I wanted to be.  I am now but it’s a horrible place   I  still don’t think my mind has fully accepted everything that has been lost.  Deny as I might. 

• Like 1

I'm not talking financially, Marg, didn't expect ins. would cover. 

I think I'm sane but have to wonder what happened to the rest of the world, politicians, etc..

• Like 1