Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

“All the world is queer save thee and me, and even thou art a little queer.” ― robert owen   (In 1700's)..

My mom would always say "all the world is crazy except me and thee and sometimes I worry about thee."  Have to say as our world has evolved, so has our language and the meaning of the words.  

My sister is still in ICU but seems to be behaving.  I've got to hurry to meet visiting hours.  They think they removed all the cancer, but it was such an enormous operation,, she looks like a little autumn leaf in that big ICU bed and it hurts me, but nothing like she has gone through.  

I am shaking more from the essential tremor, and eventually it will be like/or evolve into Parkinson's disease.  Used to be called a familial tremor, as it is inherited. Ah, so is life.  

• Like 3

Marg, that could be what mine is, I haven't talked to a doctor but my mom was diagnosed with it, she didn't shake though, go figure.  That was in her 90s in her dementia care center so I don't know if the meds they had her on kept it from it or what.  Just what I'd need, another med.

Marg, my heart hurts for you. Doesn't she grasp that she is taking a big chance by leaving too soon? I don't see how she's even able to get around by herself so soon. She must be tough as nails.

• Like 2

Day 4. , Daughter and Law(Mother) and myself put in three hours and were ready for the movers...Job was done and completed bt 3 pm......I'm having a few beers now....Father very appreciative as is Megean (the daughter)

• Like 2

I think the worse thing I had with the essential tremor was that it was not noticeable by just watching me, but when we did slow dancing at the high school age dancing, close dances, my partner would get excited because he thought he was getting to me.  It was funny/sad, I quit slow dancing.  My nerves in my body just vibrated slowly, I guess.  I can get really stressed out and lay down and it was something my mom used to say I thought was odd, she worked so hard all the time (loved farming) and after her shower she would say her "body was singing."  My body "sings" silently when I have had an unnerving day like today.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, kevin said:

Day 4. , Daughter and Law(Mother) and myself put in three hours and were ready for the movers...Job was done and completed bt 3 pm......I'm having a few beers now....Father very appreciative as is Megean (the daughter)

Great job, Kevin!  You the man!

• Like 2

Marg, I assume you're talking about your sister? It sounds like she's sealing her fate. Whatever happens, you are not responsible nor do you owe it to her to rescue her from her own decisions/actions.

Repeat.

Repeat.

I'm sorry...I know it's unnerving.

20 hours ago, KarenK said:

Doesn't she grasp that she is taking a big chance by leaving too soon?

I will not lie about this, no exaggeration, she thinks she is so intelligent with so many degrees that she is smarter than the doc's and nurses...........no kidding at all.  I tried to get them to get a psych consult and two doc's that spoke to her said she spoke very intelligently..  If they had read the notes of the nurses, she was having auditory and visual hallucinations.  Maybe she is smarter.  Right now I am brain tired.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2023 at 5:36 AM, kayc said:

Marg, I assume you're talking about your sister? It sounds like she's sealing her fate. Whatever happens, you are not responsible nor do you owe it to her to rescue her from her own decisions/actions.

I deleted all I had written.  I went a few days not talking to her (and that hurts), but things were so irrational, I could not talk about it.  She has since had time to hurt, to think about things and the realization that she was totally paranoid this hospitalization has become apparent to her.  She will ask her family physician for a referral for a psych evaluation.  She realizes what she did, knows it was a paranoia that was not natural.  But, I was with her 10 years ago after her hysterectomy.  These things happened then too, so I insisted that she include any hospitalizations in the problem.  She gets a terrible anger toward the people trying to help, including me.  She now realizes this and wants psychological help in understanding it/overcoming it.  She wrote on the survey that was sent to her that she apologized to all that tried to help her.  She took her chemo, each day inside a room with others without this rage.  The fact that she realizes she needs help is encouragement to me.  I want her to find help, she might need this again.  

• Like 2

I would have had no part of helping her leave.  And for her to keep you awake when you're so exhausted?!  I'm sorry, Marg, there's lines of respect and she's crossing the boundary.  She made her decision, let her live the results.  Yes even without you.  I know that sounds harsh, but maybe she needed more of that all these years.  She obviously doesn't understand limits and boundaries.

My favorite cousin died yesterday, I am heartsick, she was a wonderful person, raised kids she didn't birth, educated, worked a great job all her life...she had to rehome her dog a couple of months ago.  She never complained. Yet this was coming, her lungs completely shot from the years she smoked, severe COPD, took her two hours to get dressed. 12 days before she was getting her truck fixed.  I had no idea.  I loved her. Did I ever tell her?  Did she know?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two steps forward, going backwards yesterday for sure...Drug troubled step-Granddaughter left her Fathers place and is back with drug dealer boyfriend.....She was 9 days clean but she perceived family was unkind to her....My concern is this whole cycle will restart or it has ...The rehab is on hold....Bright spot is The Grandmother has got full custody of the Granddaughter( Court Date was Yesterday).........Found out a Pharmacist can prescribe antibiotics in Alberta(since 2004), spent two visits to the hospital, asked for a Strep test second visit( each visit is 5 hours), two days later they phoned in prescription.....Truth today ,there is a instant test for Strep B....lots of needless suffering...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Wow, her grandmother has taken on a lot, but I'm glad she's with family. I'm sorry about your granddaughter, this happens. :(

So you have strep? I used to get that, I haven't in many many years.  Good to know they have instant test, I wonder why it took two visits to hospital to get the help you needed!  Happens too much.  I'm glad you'll be on the mend soon!

That’s crazy they didn’t catch that right away on the strep.  It’s very easy to diagnose in my experience with it.  So sorry to hear step grand daughter is back with drug boyfriend.  No guessing where that will lead.  Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

I was somewhat upset about the Hospital taking a total of (3) visits to get it right....Giving popsicles should tip them off its a throat issue.....The instant test and local pharma dispensing antibiotics big step in the right direction...The grand daughter saga continued over the weekend, may be back with Dad.....Finally above freezing starting tomorrow, still freezes at night, almost Spring like.....

• Like 1

Well, they don't always get it right south of Canada either.  My sister is requesting a psych consult, but thinks she has found the cause of her problem.  She has found her diagnosis, and it fits: "Post-operative delirium (POD) can occur from 10 minutes after anesthesia to up to 7 days in the hospital or until discharge. It is commonly recognized in the post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) as sudden, fluctuating, and usually reversible disturbance of mental status with some degree of inattention."  Problem is it happens every time.  Whatever, I'm here if she needs me.  Guess that is family.

I hope the granddaughter finds an answer to her problem.  Again, these things become whole family problems.  My grandson is homeless in the floods in California.  We have not heard from him and that does not bode well.  At least, in prison, even with the attacks (good looking young man), we know he has food and shelter.  So sorry so many families go through this.  

• Like 1

Not Spring like here, middle of winter still...expected .2" last night, nope, started snowing snowballs at 4-7 got 3", made 3 passes shoveling, loaded fire, when it was ready to shut down barely got Kodie cuddle time, asleep at 7:30, still messed up from the time change.  Do any other countries mess with the time like this?!  I hate it!

I imagine most countries do as it’s based on Grenich Mean Time in the UK.  Washington is split.  Most hate it.  I’m in that group.  Yes, we have more light and d and dark being so north, but this mucking even more.  They say every year they’re going to stop but it gets forgotten to bring in the legislature.  

• Like 1

We voted to end the madness but they're waiting for the west coast to all do it.  Why do we always have to wait on CA and WA? The people have spoken! Personally I'd like to see it stay DST all year around.  Last night all the light shining in my eyes made it hard to go to sleep.

But if we stay on daylight savings you would have that light longer.  I don’t care way they go.  Just pick one and leave it.  I didn’t know we were part of tho hold up.  Everyone I know wants it to end.

• Like 1

It was originally started as a way to save energy by using more natural light. I guess AZ doesn't need to save energy.  lol  It was always so strange to me in KY in the summer and still light out at 9 pm.

• Like 1