Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

On 3/15/2023 at 1:09 PM, Gwenivere said:

But if we stay on daylight savings you would have that light longer.

No it's when we sprung forward we got that light in the evening. Now it's dark longer in the morning and light longer in the evening.  Whatever they do they need to leave it and quit messing with our sleep pattern!  Even our animals are messed up by feeding schedules, etc.

Marg, I love it!

• Like 1

Sensible truth our ancestors and other people had.  I got so into politics a couple of years ago that I even deleted a lifelong friend from my FB and actually my life.  I don't miss her or have time for stupid cults and theorists.  At my age you can stomp your foot in protest, delete them from your FB, but in looking back at some of my "memories" they send each night for the last 12 years, for that one day, I let things bother me that was unnecessary and feel ashamed for fussing.  I have become an introvert and cannot wait until I get under the roof of my apartment, and do not ever regret moving from that large house. I am surprised when I see an old friend and wonder how we got so old and bent over, and I stand a little straighter, my steps are not dragging, and I'm glad I'm not as old as they are.  Then I get inside my apartment and that walking fast and straight fits right into my recliner, and I go to sleep.  Recliner better than a sleeping pill.  Can't stay awake in it.  

I think we may have had a frost last night.  It is 50 degrees and the sun is out.  All the Dogwoods, fruit trees, azalai's, flowers everywhere, the "grancy graybeards" (fringe trees) and beautiful trees already having their new leaves.  Kelli was putting blankets on all her new rose bushes.  It is so pretty in the south (unless the tornadoes blow them away). 

I hope you all have as good a weekend as you can.  A member of our family (Kelli's poodle "Nawlins" has congestive heart failure).  They will try to clean her teeth, which has been much of her  problems, she is almost toothless now.  She is almost blind and jumped off the bed into a desk.  She is 13 years old and it is going to hurt Kelli so bad.  She is such a sweet pup, would sit in Mama's lap all the time, like she was protecting her, Mama would pet her and call her "kitty."  I think animals have a sense when someone is ill.  

Getting carried away into one of my word salads.  I'll quit now. 

• Like 2

Animals definitely sense(smell?) sickness...Germany they had some dogs actually sniffing people for Covid.....I've heard of Cancer detection in some "medical" dogs.....My new kitten(9 months old and small), gets along with the Puppy like best friends, but the resident 9 year old Cat does not like the new comer at all.......I believe things are getting better but don't leave them alone  for to long.........Makes life interesting....

• Like 2

Kodie (my service dog) and Panther (my feral cat, outdoors only) get along great, they love each other! But I've never left them alone without mesh fence inbetween or supervised, do not need Panther gouging Kodie's eyes out, he has mean claws, you should see what he's done to my outdoor posts!  Huge 1" gouges. Sigh...

Love this time quote, Marg.  Want to share that link.  Gotta figure out how to make .i an open mage.  I’m so ignorant on some things on this tablet. 

The time change messed up my pets internal clocks too even tho the schedule was the same. That animals can detect illness doesn’t surprise me.  I don’t know how, don’t think anyone does, but it's evident.  If  only they could cure it too.

I hear this is the last year we'll have to do this time change.  I'll believe it when I    see it.  

• Like 1

That brings hope to us.  But I hope it gets stuck on Daylight Savings, not Standard time. OR waiting on CA and WA, don't know why we have to always follow suit, why can't we just DO IT like the people voted to!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally over this Easter weekend....screwed up my Carb balance for sure, gave away half the leftovers.......will get back to normal tomorrow....Got a touch of snow last night ....longest Winter(not coldest), just long(Nov 1 and still snow).....Have a good rest of the week...

• Like 1

Kevin, my longest winter was last year, had snow all April (a LOT!) and even had to shovel snow on Mother's Day, May 15!

I stayed on track on Easter, FBS 100.  Tomorrow is a new day!  And at least you gave half of it away!

• Like 1

One year, leaving a beautiful, warm state in May, we headed for Colorado for vacation.  Ran into a blizzard in Alamosa.  Then I understood, it was not the same kind of spring as Louisiana.  

Planting some Tulip Bulbs that already sprouting(cheating), bought at Walmart....Watched Youtube, pretty straight forward...they'll be in Pots.....My other go to flowers are marigolds, Petunias, Zinias, and Sunflowers(planting seeds inside) tomorrow.......

• Like 1
  • Like Copy 1

Gosh and I got 3 1/2" of snow yesterday, of course, I had to go on the roof to get my Viasat equipment off!  Was also sick and no internet.  What a day.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...

lows of 32 and highs in the 70's......Already got two rounds of Golf in, Life is good again...Gave the Dog much needed bath this morning.....emptied out a storage locker, something I won't pay rent on anymore. Issue now is what to do with about 30 storage containers........Adding storage shelves in Garage to make room for my indoor "temporary hot tub"...My senior Cat has lost a step, has difficulty jumping up to his dish or the top bunk bed( 9 years old)........he still doesn't get along with the new kitten.....Everyone have a good day

• Like 1

It was in the 70s here yesterday too!  Heading to upper 80s Friday, then back to 50s.  Cleaned out my wood stove but looks like I'll need it again.

Were those the granddaughter's?

6 hours ago, kevin said:

Issue now is what to do with about 30 storage containers.

Well Kevin, I live by myself in a two bedroom apartment.  I moved in the big plastic "tubs" with tops that fit on them.  We cannot open our windows, ants come in, and even baby snails. Remember we get lots of water), very humid state. (I rid that problem with salt).  I also love my probably 12 big boxes right over my windows (at the bottom).  My front window has a huge pretty green shrub growing up to the window and lately (they will trim), if anyone tried to get in, they'd kill themself. I do not care how they look.  I can sleep good at night I live in Louisiana, and somehow, we are not the safest state.  People go around and shoot up houses for no reason.  We have lots of guns.  (Not me, I have wasp spray and a fish fillet knife).  I actually feel safe here, until I'm not.  We live in one of the most crime-free areas, although on one of the richer streets close, a gang of boys broke in every car on the block.  Oh yes, they have pictures, and I try to tell them if they gave that picture to one of the FBI TV shows, they'd have them in custody in an hour.  Enjoy that warm.

• Like 1

Where do you put the salt, Marg? Inside or outside? I wouldn't want salt inside, so where do you spread it outside?

OMG, the Dept of Forestry sent four guys out yesterday (no phone call or notice) to create defensible space around my place, they cut a lot of small trees and shrubbery down, the place looks so different, it's hard to get used to!  No privacy barrier anymore.  But they didn't do a lot to the Photinia or Mahogany tree, both taller than the house.  Mahagany is fire resistant so not to worry but the Photinia, I don't know, but it is green all year and doesn't seem to die no matter what.  Still they cut it back a bit, not that I can tell.  Anyway, my place should pass inspection now!  Kodie has a lot less places to hide in now but he'll make do in a pinch.

Marg, they have the same thing going on in Eugene now, glad I don't have to worry about that although every time I hear about a Camry in an accident or broken into, I have to make sure my daughter's okay!

We had below average snowfall which means not much run off from the melt but the Farmers will suffer....Its dry up here, I'm concerned about the Fire Hazard this early in the year...Need some April showers all through May...Only Crime up here is Drug related......a shame

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kayc said:

Where do you put the salt, Marg? Inside or outside? I wouldn't want salt inside, so where do you spread it outside?

We have had so much rain, it would wash away outside.  They are tiny snails, I spread a string of salt against the wall on the carpet and put a string of salt at the window closure.  Our first night here Brianna had a coke on the window and we looked and there were a million tiny ants coming off the bush at the window onto the coke.  I sealed the windows with paper towels, closed them tight (wet the paper towels), and we have not been bothered since.  I do not know what kind of big bush, thick, very thick, (pretty) with each leaf formed into many stickers.  That is why that window does not scare me.  My others, well, living alone, there is so much meanness now, I am not trusting.  I have nothing valuable to steal, but that does not seem to matter, they take TV's mostly.  Will say, we have not had that in these apartments.  Have not even seen the police stopping anywhere.  Honestly, I don't know why, and it is not a race problem, it is a gun problem.  In Shreveport they just go by houses and shoot up the houses.  I want to tell them all to keep their kids in the back room.  More than one child has been killed and a man recently hit in the hip.  This is senseless shooting, no rhyme or reason and they usually target neighborhoods that are downtrodden and their own kind.  Makes you not understand humankind.  

• Like 1

All these shootings are getting way out of hand, ridiculous and horrific at the same time!  Not sure what the answer is. It's true that if you outlaw guns the only ones who have them will be the outlaws, but I don't see any need for any automatic assault guns!  Really, what do you need one for!  I know people are afraid for our "rights" being taken from us, but then again, what about one's right to live?

Oakridge Air just got a grant for assessment of property up here, did a walk around, now mind you, this was AFTER hiring my tree guy to cut/limb trees on my place following the Waldo Lake Fire that was so horrific to us last year, one mile from my dead end road, only way out TOWARDS the fire, air quality over 1,600!  Made national news, couldn't go out without a mask on, poor Panther kitty can no longer meow because of it!  He only squeaks now, it's sad.  Anyway, Forestry Dept came out and cut limbs/brush here, they don't climb trees, was supposed to "chip" the branches, ha!  Their "chips" are up to 1 1/2 feet long in places!  Those I'm picking up with the limbs.  Day before last I picked up branches left by them all afternoon, in the 90s, yesterday, also 90s, I picked up a ton of them left in back yard, still have more.  The mess they made and left is astronomical!  Now my place is more open, no more privacy barrier.  It's sad, after 46 years of living here one can no longer live in the trees like we once did.  I did tell them not to touch my forest, it's away from the house with a creek on the other side.

Kevin, I wish you well up there, all of us...we had 200% snowfall but STILL they're saying we're in danger.  I swear, they're never happy!

• Like 1

I can’t find one need for assault weapons.  If people want a gun, there ar e plenty of choices .  I’m anti gun, but that’s a fantasy.  I grew up target shooting.  We owned a shotgun once but I gave it away after Steve died.  Can’t stand hand guns.  I interpret the 2nd amendment differently as it was written before we had all the armed forces. 

Land and and house taxes infuriate me .   They always increase those to raise what we owe for roads, public transport and schools.  We home owners pay for everything.  I’m sure rents go up for it too.  We don’t have a state income tax.  Very high pay a s you buy tax.  Not on food, but everting else.   I'd rather have an income tax, but so many are against it.

• Like 2

Here we need one in case of cougars threatening our animals, but don't see much point otherwise.  I bought mine when threatened by EK (White supremacist) thanks to con John having an affair with one.  Glad they're out of my life, that was 15 years ago.   

We have state income tax but not for our purchases, I'd be better off the other way around but Oregon won't hinge dropping one until it gets the other and we don't trust them.  Once they get something they'll always have it.

Another day in the life of...my heart is heavy, got a call on the prayer chain last night, a lady (40s-50 at the most) keeled over, hit her head, no idea why she went out like that, ambulance took her in, she has three kids, is a single parent, their father is dead, family is across the US.  Worried about her...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1