Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

Let your emotions flow like a river, free and swift. Don't try to hold back what needs to flow. Don't try to swim against the current either or you will only suffer more. Letting your emotions -- all of them -- flush through you has a healing effect.
581043_10152892553975374_1051776833_n.jp

Another quote by Tara Brach. She will be in Madison late this year or early next year and I WILL be there. Cheri Maples, a retired Madison police officer, is now a Buddhist teacher and consultant and her organization is bringing Tara to our town.

Tara Brach "Imagine presence as a spring-fed forest pond—clear, still, and pure. Because we’ve spent so much time lost in the woods of our thoughts and emotions, we often have trouble finding this pond. But as we sit down to meditate again and again, we become familiar with the path through the woods. We can find the gap between the trees; we know the roots we’ve tripped over before; we trust that even if we get caught up in the brush and bramble, we’ll find our way." ~ True Refuge

983705_483981985007904_857690010_n.jpg

In addition to packing a bit (less than usually taken anywhere)....today's schedule includes the following:

post-14525-0-62624100-1370191706_thumb.j

I AM learning :P

From FB today...

Tara Brach

"When we expose our own hurt or fear, we actually give others permission to be more authentic. ... While it takes courage to be vulnerable, the reward is sweet: We awaken compassion and genuine intimacy in our relationships with others." ~ Radical Acceptance
995571_487300354676067_1566370718_n.jpg

I believe that we all matter. Anne

post-15704-0-11897200-1370717795_thumb.j

Anne, you might enjoy her book True Refuge and also Radical Acceptance. Both outstanding. She will be in Madtown next year and I will be there.... :)

When reading about turtles, I wanted to share this. I keep a pond in my yard that Kathy and I started twelve years ago. Among the Koi, we added two water turtles, exotic names I can't even remember. We lost one years ago when the heat got to it out of the water. We never saw the other one but once in a blue moon. Kathy always said he's like Big Foot, No one ever sees him but he exists just the same. Last year I saw him after three or more years. He was huge. Yet there he was sunning himself on the deck like it was his domain. I don't know his name and he will never ask mine but he is, and that is all that matters. He just came out to tell me Kathy was right. Turtles are cool. They live a quiet, solitary life, showing themselves ounce in a blue moon.

Thank you, Mary for the book recommendations True Refuge and Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach. Both are on my to-read list.

The quote below is from one of Mary's links on meditation that I found worth thinking about:

"As we begin to develop awareness of the mind, the mind itself appears to divide into two. A new aspect of the mind arises. This is referred to variously as the witness, the seer, the knower, or the observer. It witnesses without judgment...
944412_633135080049217_2017451706_n.jpg

I don't know which one I am yet - witness, seer, knower, observer -perhaps all at different times.....

As I was reading Brene Brown's book Daring Greatly today I came across this quote:

"[Daring Greatly] means the courage to be vulnerable. It means to show up and be seen. To ask for what you need. To talk about how you're feeling. To have hard conversations."

Wow! It hit me that for several days I was struggling with whether or not I should post something on the forum. I guess I was not seeing that being vulnerable was good. It was not a weakness as I've often thought of it. I shall work on this and as I finish reading the book I hope that I come to a better awareness of how important it is to allow others into my life as I proceed on my journey.

"Loving ourselves through the process of owning our story is the bravest thing we'll ever do." Anne

Anne, I saw that quote. I love that book...not finished yet...reading about 4 at a time..depending on mood.Yes, vulnerability is a good thing...it is how we get close to others, become real, and more. There is a quote from the Bible (not sure where) "In my weakness, is my strength" A similar feeling. Mary

..."it is how we get close to others, become real, and more..."

Sounds like a favorite of mine The Velveteen Rabbit

As long as you only have four books you're reading are you familiar with Marianne Williamson's book: A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of a Course in Miracles? It is a newer edition. One I am finding of some interest.

Yes, Anne, vulnerability is about the Velveteen Rabbit and vice versa. The part of that book with the explanation of being real.."What does it mean to be real?" etc. I don't remember the circumstances but somehow my dad found out I liked that rather lengthy quote...this is adult years after he quit drinking...e was a typographer for newspapers all his adult life and he had an old printing press in the basement that he used to set up tickets (and print them) for the church..Holy Name Society, Altar and Rosary society, church raffles, ad books, scouts, etc. as a volunteer project. No computers in those days. Letter by letter and backwards. I still have some type and when he died I ended up with the printing press and 30 draws of type in our basement. No one could let it go and we had space. Bill and I ultimately donated it to a small museum in Wisconsin. I learned to read backwards when I proofed for him. Anyway, I digress :). I went out to my parents' home one time to visit and he had typeset that entire paragraph and printed out a dozen of them for me. I must have left the book with my mom to read. I had it framed in my office for a long time. I still have the original. I learned that book was originally published in 1922 but I think this was the late 70s or early 80s.

If I hide, the person I hide from is usually me...and it is not something I do often. I am, however, cautious and don't jump into quicksand blindly in being vulnerable. I read people and decide if it is wise to share even if I am not heard. I still blow it sometimes and get hurt but I prefer that to hiding. With my grief, I do not share my painful feelings unless I am with a person/people whose responses I trust...I read people pretty well so I can usually tell pretty quickly if I am safe or not. Sometimes I blow it and get hurt. Vulnerability and honesty are first cousins, of course. And I despise dishonesty.

As for Williamson, I have not read her for years. I will check out the book. I have four going, as I said, and a pile I keep separate that I have not read and that pile is growing rapidly. I read more on line these days as I can enlarge the print and set the contrast. Once I get through these surgeries I am most looking forward to reading and reading and reading again. Now it is a struggle as my eye tired so quickly. I am reading through fog. Even my watercolor will be affected. I think I will be surprised at how the colors change....at least I hope it all goes this way.

I will be anxious to hear about your consultation today with the team. I know this is an important one as you proceed with your list of questions and gather information. My prayers go with you.

Peace to your soul,

Mary

A Note from The Universe

Do you know how to give folks what they most, most, most want from you, without even asking them what it is?

In all regards, just be yourself.

That's what they were after when they manifested you into their lives.

Transcending Loss: Understanding the lifelong impact of grief Sometimes you might skate along the surface of your grief. It is there but you are 'on top of it.' And other times, you drop deeply into the depths of the abyss that is grief. There you touch the center of your pain. Both places are necessary for the journey. Both have their purpose. From Facebook

And another from FB from -

So whether on the surface or into the depths we shall always carry our loved ones in our whole beings.

"Your task is not to let go. You will never let go. Why? Because your dear one will always be a part of you, intricately part of your mind and soul. Instead, your task is to carry your dear one into every part of your life. They are with you, always."
166035_10152856751660374_939678766_n.jpg

Anne

Lovely, Anne! Is Benji at the vet?

Grief Speaks “The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wow, that kind of nails it, doesn't it!

I was feeling a little fragile this afternoon and then I came across this quote from Tara Brach - I love words - they are so soothing to the soul.

"When we feel held by a caring presence, by something larger than our small frightened self, we begin to find room in our own heart for the fragments of our life, and for the lives of others. The suffering that might have seemed 'too much' can awaken us to the sweetness of compassion." ~ Radical Acceptance

photo: Shell Fischer
5824_489996931073076_1067339274_n.jpg

I think the 'fragile' comes from so much going on in my life right now. Anne

7276_533762619993826_1209549494_n.jpg
Refuse to fall down. If you cannot refuse to fall down, refuse to stay down. If you cannot refuse to stay down, lift your heart toward heaven, and like a hungry beggar, ask that it be filled, and it will be filled. You may be pushed down. You may be kept from rising. But no one can keep you from lifting your heart toward heaven.

~ Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estés

Anne, I love that quote and find it to be so true. And fae, yours is inspiring too.

I can't seem to stay away from FB - this is another quote from Tara Brach - it spoke to me:

"The practice of looking through the eyes of one who loves us can be a powerful and surprisingly direct way to remember our beauty and goodness." ~ Radical Acceptance

179732_490522111020558_630663704_n.jpg

Today I needed to know that there was someone (Benji) who loved me.