Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

One of my precious dogs had degenerative myelopathy and gradually lost the use of her hind legs. She used wheels for nine months and did well - she was a feisty girl. Then she began to stumble on her front legs and was having more and more trouble. With a heavy heart I made that awful decision to let her go before things got worse. For months afterwards I agonized over whether or not I had made the right decision. The next time I saw my vet we talked about it, and he said something I'll never forget which helped me. He said, you took her to the edge of the cliff but didn't let her go over. I see many dog parents wait too long to let them go which they do for their own benefit and not for the dog. Our final gift to these precious souls is to walk with them when their days are coming to an end and spare them unnecessary pain. Would that we could do that for our human companions. As I watched my husband suffer and struggle to breathe day after day, I thought of what I had done for Whitney and wished the medical profession would allow the same peaceful end for Steve.

Loss of back leg use is common in older, declining dogs, and typically a sign the end is - or more to your point, should - be near. Most people don't realize that this is necessary for most dogs (to be put to sleep ie the humane thing to do); they don't conveniently get old and then die peacefully in their sleep. I will always regret we did not put our (well, her) last dog to sleep sooner, and largely that was my fault; I kept talking her out of it, saying don't you think he'd rather live than not, even if it's difficult etc - I had us both convinced, and that poor dog suffered because of it. I vow not to do that with this one, who is getting up there, but it will be one of the hardest things I've ever done. He has been the ONLY one who was there for me every step of the way in my loss. He has no idea how huge he has been to me.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

dear widower, I agree that the dog should be our primary concern, and not our wishes. If it were up to us they'd live forever, comfortably, but life has another way it seems.

Thank you for asking. I posted this this morning but I must have forgotten to click "post".

Update on Bentley

I met with my new holistic vet at our home for 3 hours yesterday. Cost less than my regular vet. She is a U of MN trained vet with many years experience but also trained for 2 years in Hawaii in Chinese medicine; then certified in Chiropractic, Acupuncture and homeopathy. She and I really connected and she adores Bentley.

She asked a zillion questions as any homoeopathist does about things that seemingly were unrelated but which under the surface are very related... helping her determine his personality type in Chinese medicine...there are 5 personalities. He is Earth. This leads to knowledge about the organ weaknesses and strengths etc. She examined Bentley thoroughly, checked 18 pulses and learned more. She did 12 acupuncture needles for pain and to start the clearing of the lymphatic system. (He has lymphoma). I will take him to her office in Madison next Tuesday for more acupuncture and a homeopathic remedy or two. She may do some spinal adjustments but did not want to overload him on first visit. Bentley was totally comfortable.

She put him on a capsule of 9 Chinese herbs each chosen for his body, a crock pot cooked diet unique to his needs (his system will not handle raw but neither does mine :) . High protein-(organic beef, turkey, mackerel, eggs), low glycemic veggies, seaweed, turnips, coconut oil, calcium, mushroom mix etc. So today I will go get all this and prepare the first batch and increase it in his diet by 10% every 5-7 days as I reduce the ID food by 10%. Treats will be freeze dried liver and tripe purchased in a natural foods Madison pet store. He will remain on his probiotic forever.

I feel I am doing the best I can for him and though I will only know how he is doing by what I see and what she sees when she examines him i.e. no more ultrasounds, tests, no more vaccinations (because of the cancer this is legal) and the research on vaccinations. I will keep my old vet in the loop for ER or whatever. She said the stress of doing tests that will not help him only causes more inflammation. I won't bore you with more details but wanted to share this much as so many here are pet lovers and I am learning other ways to feed and care for him beyond what is considered the good care I thought I was giving him. And in the end it is less expensive as vet bills go down.

Bentley is stable. We walk 1.5 - 2 miles a day split am/pm. I hope to see him still doing well a year from now but I also know that could change anytime. So we go forward one day at a time....Thank you for caring. I appreciate it. I will post if things change.

Mary,

It sounds like Bentley is in good medical hands ( holistic vet) and loving hands, yours. We love our canines and they love us unconditionally. One of life's joys.

Jo

I've loved and lost 3 Labrador Retrievers in 18 years

Mary, I am delighted to learn of this, you are doing all you can for your Bentley. I have never heard of a holistic vet, and did not know they had acupuncture for animals. You must live near a large city to have all of this available, that is a big plus! I wouldn't begin to know where to get those ingredients. This all sounds so wonderful and I'm sure will help Bentley feel better and give him more quality time in his life.

I had a dream last night that Arlie could think a thought and I could hear it in my thoughts. It was a happy dream!

Kay, I believe Arlie CAN think a thought and you can hear it in your thoughts. I had an animal communicator talk to Bentley on Monday morning and then she called me to tell me of her talk. What she told me was astounding. I did not really know how much I believed about animal communicators but this was fun and I believe very meaningful. It was only $50 for one animal and after the first time, follow ups are free.

Yes, I do live near Madison which has just about anything I would want but after growing up in Chicago, it seems very small to me. The shop where i got the freeze dried liver and tripe and other products does mail orders. I have to say this first purchase was pricey but now I have those products. We have a co-op in Madison where i got the seaweed. I used to eat seaweed in my stews etc. when I did macrobiotics years ago. It is loaded with minerals and not expensive. Probably available on line (Nori is what i got)

My regular vet also does acupuncture here but I never used it for Bentley. This gal put 12 tiny needles in him. He did not flinch. She also does laser acupuncture but with cancer patients, she uses needles. it takes an hour to get to her office and I will visit her there most of the time. I think a lot of the products are available on line also, kay. If I can help let me know. Let me know what you can't find.

Mary,

It sounds like Bentley is in good medical hands ( holistic vet) and loving hands, yours. We love our canines and they love us unconditionally. One of life's joys.

Jo

I've loved and lost 3 Labrador Retrievers in 18 years

Yes, Jo...I do believe he is in good hands. 3 Labs in 18 years is a lot of pain and loss. I am so sorry. I wish they could live forever.

Mary, so glad to hear the information about the holistic vet, and it sounds like Bentley is in very good hands, including yours most of all! Hugs to both of you.

QMary

Thank you, Mary...we are plugging along. Spent a lot of time preparing the first batch of his food today...it is still in the crock pot.

Mary, I am with you in spirit, applauding all you are doing for your Bentley, I would do the same for my Arlie. I hope he liked his new food!

I hope he likes it also. I will package and freeze it today based on the amounts I need over the next week plus. I KNOW you would do this for Arlie. Take it easy today!!!

Bittersweet for me. . .missing my Benji.

I was watching my granddog, Fred, for four days and it really did my soul good. With our temperatures staying in the 110° mark for a few weeks I bought some ice cream cones and a pint of vanilla bean gelato. One evening I fixed myself a cone and sat down to enjoy it. Two eyes never left my gaze and being a very polite dog I decided to let Fred have a few licks. He tasted and the next thing I knew he had taken it right out of my hand and ate the entire thing. My trip to the freezer had him following me. Instead of a cone I decided to place another scoop of gelato into a bowl and added some caramel topping. I was able to finish my share but felt so guilty as I finished my treat and Fred sat and watched every movement of my spoon that I didn’t have anymore treats until Fred went back home.

One of the many things I love about our grands (human or canine) is how they give us permission to indulge in all our guilty pleasures! This is wonderful, Anne. I'm so glad you had some bonding time with Fred ~ and I KNOW he loved every minute of it too!

Yes, Anne, bittersweet but so glad Fred was there. With Bentley's rigid diet I find it hard to eat anything in front of him. The vet said I could give him some egg, tripe and freeze dried liver but that is hardly the tablespoon of ice cream, vanilla, I used to give him. Their eyes say it all. So glad Fred visits....and glad he grabbed your cone. :)

Oh, dear Anne, I am so glad you had a stand-in for Benji for a little while. I am laughing about Foxy Fred, who made off with the cone! What fun!

Mary, I know that giving up these special rituals we have long cherished between us and our Beloved is a time of letting go. I am sorry that you cannot share ice cream with Bentley any more. I wonder if he could have coconut milk ice cream, which is available at health food stores. It might be worth it for everyone to have this knowledge for you, Bentley, and other vets. I have no idea, but it might be an option.

fae

fae, thank you. I will check into the coconut millk. There is coconut butter in his Bentley Stew so possibly. But sugar is the thing we avoid as well as phelgm...cancer likes both. Her goal is to make the environment in his body as balanced (i.e. healthy) as possible so that cancer does not want to grow there and sugar and phelgm (milky etc.) are anathema. Something for us to consider for our own bodies.

Dear Mary,

Yes, I don't eat sugar, nor dairy, other than pure ghee. You are absolutely correct about those things in a diet for anyone with cancer. Doug was grieving about no more chocolate ice cream, and although we found the coconut ice cream, the sugar content is still more than any of us need.

I make a pudding out of half a can of organic coconut milk and one ripe avocado (scrape the inside of th shell, as there are excellent nutrients there) , and add a bit of agave syrup (low glycemic index) and a bit of lemon juice and vanilla. Sometimes, I toss in some frozen strawberries. Chill the whole thing. It is a great source of medium-chain fats as well.

I am thinking of you and Bentley, and sending lots of good wishes.

fae

One of the wonderful things about being a grandma to a fur baby is indulging them in treats. Our kids say we spoil them. So? What's their point? :)

Whenever Arlie is sick and cannot partake in a "last bite" of something I'm eating, I find it very hard to eat in front of him. I thought I was the only one to forgo eating something I wanted because I couldn't share it with Arlie or Kitty! (she's my "second dog", she doesn't realize she's a cat...she can out beg any dog!)

Mary, how is Bentley doing with his Bentley-food?

Kay, you are not alone in refraining from eating in from of your furbaby. I used to share some things with Bentley. Now I carry his special treats (freeze dried liver and freeze dried tripe) in my pocket so when I eat, I can give him something. His eyes get me every time but I am being extremely careful with what goes in his mouth. I consider it medicine.

Sounds like our Bentley is being well cared for, I know he is your priority right now, as it should be. I am pretty worried about my little tri colored Corgi, Faith. She has been a little lethargic for a couple of days, yesterday although she ate, it was like she did not really care. She is breathing rapidly and just lays around. Nose is warm. I could not get her to take her bedtime treat (a crunchie carrot bite the size of a kibble) and this morning she just ignored her morning kibble. I am waiting until vet opens, and taking her there as soon as they can get her in. It seems to be an effort for her to breathe. I am concerned about fluid perhaps, in lungs or heart. Keep her and me in your thoughts and prayers today. I am pretty anxious.

QMary

Yes, Mary, Bentley is top priority and frankly it is somewhat time consuming and emotionally tiring many days as it is a roller coaster ride...up and down and never knowing what a day will bring. But we are doing our best (we being the new vet and myself) to help him.

I am so sorry your little Faith is showing signs of something being wrong. It could be indigestion or of course, something more serious. I hope you get into the vet today and that you get some answers. It is frightening, isn't it. Appetite is important. A sign of how she feels. Please do let all of us know what you learn. I will pray that it is not something serious. Let us know.

They got Faith right in at the Vets Clinic. She is in under oxygen right now, and they are going to do chest xrays after she is better oxygenated. They did not offer a diagnosis at the time. They will call me, was hard to leave her, but I could not do anything. They know me well, and will call as soon as they know anything. I am pretty stressed of course. Will let you all know when I know something more. Thank you for your concern and prayers. She will be 11 next month. When she was born, she has a malformation of her chest, and they did not think she would live, I would say she has done pretty well! Praying for a simple solution, and she will be back home soon.

QMary

Mary, I am so sorry this is happening to you and to faith and especially now with all that is and has been going on with your family. Please do keep us informed. I know you are worried, of course.