Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

We are still having trouble letting some humans know that they have souls, sigh. But I am truly glad there is so much now being taught about the spirits of all living things. And this is such a beautiful teaching. We're all in this together.

fae

Yes, fae there is so much more freedom to talk about things spiritual now. In the early 80s when I was consulting with corporations on Wellness I was not allowed to mention spirituality. Now corporations have spiritual direction available right on campus. Slowly slowly we evolve even when it looks like the planet is crashing into nothingness....chaos precedes growth and creativity and order....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lovely, Mary, I have no doubt about them having souls. Poor little Sassy is very lethargic and clingy today. She did not like me leaving her yesterday, although my daughter came on lunch hour, and after work and spent time with her while I was with my sister. I am going to be leaving her again tomorrow. :( She will be unhappy again. We are both missing Faith so much. Every night at bedtime, I would get each of the dogs a crunchy little treat, (with carrots in it) and give it to them when they got in their crate. Faith was always the first down the hall when she saw me get the box down....I forgot last night and got out 2...out of habit. Did not realize it until I got to the bedroom, however, Sassy did not get an extra. I took it back to the kitchen. Made me feel sad.

QMary

QMary, it will be like that for a while, until your habit patterns have changed. The habits we have are like a rude awakening when we suffer loss. :( Poor little Sassy!

My neighbor's mom (also a neighbor) lost her dog, Sassy yesterday. She had Diabetes and it was too far gone, she was vomiting blood. They racked up $1,000 in charges before giving her the bad news. She's old and on social security and fighting cancer, she didn't need this. Sassy was a sweetheart (Chihuahua)

Sorry about Chihuahua Sassy. It is hard to know how far to go sometimes to save the animals. As long as there was a chance for Faith, I would have kept fighting. I was very fortunate that she knew the time, and just let go on her own. It was sad, but not as bad if I had been the one to make the decision for her. Sassy and I are doing better, but she is still mopey. After my friend Dana gets back from her trip next week to Atlanta, may see if Herc, her pug can come for a visit, might cheer Sassy up a little. She likes Herc. Also I have caught myself calling her Faith a couple of times, got to watch that, don't want to confuse her.

QMary

Thank you, Rita. Bentley has been stable and has had more energy and is more responsive as a result of the meds he was on for 10 days. He finished the meds last Friday and remains stable. Tomorrow we have two blood tests...one requires 2 draws with a 4 hour wait between following an injection of cortisol.... so it will be a long day. I will post results. Thank you for asking.

Keeping you and Bentley in mind today. I hope he can have a treat after the needles, he's such a good boy!

Thank you, Kay. I just got home. It was a rough morning for Bentley as everything is new to him...the site is new, the vet is new and the blood draw technique is new. So he squirmed and challenged us but did so lovingly. It was a total of one injection and three blood draws. She will call me when results are back. I was reminded as we were there of the many many vet trips we have made since May (3 different vets and UW visit). If I had any doubts about subjecting Bentley tests and treatments that I consider unnecessary...today confirmed it. However, I have no doubts.

The vet noticed a big difference in Bentley in the two weeks since she first met him. More active and energetic. He also lost a couple of pounds so I will up the food again...trying to find the right amount is tricky. He put on too much weight (2-3 pounds up) and today 1 pound down from his normal. I am pretty fussy about weight.

Thanks for asking and caring. And now I am going to get a nap. Bentley is already sounds asleep. It was a long morning. 5 hours including the driving.

Dear Mary,

I am relieved to hear that you are home and Bentley and you are both resting, napping.

You are doing all you can, and weight watching as well. I am just glad you are both home and back in your own peaceful space.

Thinking of you both with much love,

fae

I am glad Bentley made it through it all and is home napping now, and you too. When he wakes up, please give him a hug for me...a kiss is alright too.

Thanks, Marty. We had naps. It was hard to watch Bentley squirm and be frightened of the blood draws. She used a razor to shave a spot for a blood draw (which is the proper way to do it to minimize the risk of infection) but no vet has ever used one on him and it scared him. The tourniquet scared him as well as everything being new.

The great news is she is determined to keep this boy feeling as good as possible for a long time. Her horse had a bad accident and everyone thought he should be put down but she knew he would heal and he is healing. She is a very personable woman and we sat and talked for a long time. A new friend.

Thanks to all,

Mary

Poor Bentley! Maybe he'll be less scared if he ever has to go through it again, being as he survived this time. I hope you both have a good evening together!

Yes, it was a rough day for Bentley and ultimately for me as I watched him be frightened and uncomfortable. He is good tonight. thank you.

Hope Bentley is relaxed today, and over the stress of yesterday. Hope you, Mary, and Bentley have a calm serene weekend. I am going to my brother's in Hot Springs, and am a little stressed over it. Sassy is already acting clingy, as she sees my packed suitcase. My daughter and her girls will be here, and she loves them, but I feel like I am abandoning her! :(

QMary

post-13798-0-35653300-1409929396_thumb.j

I understand, Mary. When I go to Chicago this month I will be boarding Bentley for just ONE night and when that suitcase comes out, he will pout and cling. As he has been dealing with so many vets all summer, he is clingy....so glad they bounce back once you reappear in the doorway.

Yes, once you reappear and they tell you off (Arlie has to have his say), they forget so quickly and all is right with their world again!

Bentley does not have Addison's disease which is easy to treat but very dangerous untreated. We did not test for the immune disorder as she felt it unnecessary...because his GI tract returned to normal. However, tonight it appears to be headed downhill again after quite a while but off meds (which he can not take forever) he may be headed back into the diarrhea mode. Morning will tell. I think this is how it is going to be. Lymphoma can cause loose stools and/or diarrhea. When I walk him I pray for good stools...we live from stool to stool. Weird but true. He also lost a couple of pounds...so my challenge is to live on the Bentley roller coaster. It runs right next to the Bill roller coaster.

Thinking of all of you who have lost pets.

Well, Bentley's stool was normal this morning. So we are on the upswing again. :rolleyes:

Dear, dear Mary,

I think this is the first time that news of a good doggy stool has made me smile. :)

It is good news. I hope the good days continue and that you two keep coming home from walks with smiles on your faces. It is a challenge not to worry a lot, I know. I am glad you are celebrating the good days.

fae

Being a doggy parent I know what you mean...you can tell so much of their health by their stools. And I remember living "from stool to stool" when Arlie was sick. At the time we don't know what we're dealing with and that can be frightening...all we want is for them to be well and happy. I know you're prepared, as well as you can be, to go through this with him, just as you did with Bill. I also know that journey will have special moments and very hard moments. We will be here lifting you up as you go through whatever lies ahead. I celebrate Bentley's healthy stool this morning and pray he has a good day today.