Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Arlie is eating his new food fine, I mix it with his old food, will do that for the next couple of months before he switches over completely. I imagine it will take a long time to lose the weight,but so long as it starts going in the right direction, I'll be happy. I can't weigh him unless I go to the vet about 65 miles away and thankfully he hasn't had cause to lately!

I'm sorry about the reminder, QMary, I know how hard that is. :(

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had to unpack today (not going to retreat after all)...Arlie has pus coming out of his penis and it doesn't look good so we're making the 120 mile round trip to go to the vet this morning. I just made same trip to go to the doctor yesterday. :( Please pray my baby will be alright and that he won't need surgery (hoping he doesn't have something up inside of him).

Dear Kay,

I will be holding you and Arlie in my heart today. I am so sorry you must make this extra trip, and that you will miss retreat, but I hope that whatever is the matter with Arlie is a simple fix.

I know these days of worry are so difficult. If only they could talk to us just a little bit better to let us know what is wrong. Wishing you both all the best.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Kay, I am so sorry Arlie is having a problem. Believe me I know the feelings that race through our minds. I am also sorry you will miss your retreat. Please do let us know what happens today re Arlie.

Oh Kay, I am so sorry that you have yet another bump in your road ~ please update us on Arlie when you can.

I am sorry you will miss the retreat. Our doggies do come first.

Hi, just got back, the good news is he doesn't have a UTI, the bad news is he has Balanoposthitis, which is an infection in the sheath of the penis. I have to inject a cleansing solution and massage it around, let it flush out, then inject a topical antibiotic and massage it around every day for a week. I hope this is feasibly possible, we'll see. I've had a lot of male dogs and this is a first for this! I took him to PetSmart after his ordeal and let him pick out a toy to bring home and destroy. :) He weighed in at 130 lbs so at least we have a base line.

Again I am sorry you are missing your retreat and being with your friend. It looks like you have a week of treating Arlie instead. Glad he is on antibiotics and you know the treatment now. Thank you for sharing this with us. I love how you let him pick out a toy to destroy :wub:

He is still playing with his toy, hasn't chewed it up yet!

Balanoposthitis,

I had to go look it up. An inflammation under the sheath of the penis, this is a condition occurring in uncircumcised males.

Well, now we know. We all just knew it as a medical condition of men in some cultures.

Learning all the time.

Thank you for that interesting word, Kay. So glad Arlie is being kind to his chew toy, but I imagine that as soon as he feels better, he will be destroying it. And you have a weight baseline. Things are looking up! But the nursing job for Arlie is postponing your away time. I hope you can find a way to get away soon after Arlie is well. And I hope you see improvement very soon. Tonight.

*<twinkles>*

fae

In his case, it's more than inflammation, it's an infection. It can be a condition that's even worse, so I'm thankful it isn't. I'm nervous about administering the treatments, I hope it goes okay and he cooperates.

Can you get someone to distract Arlie by being in front of him with chicken or cheese treats while you apply the med?

Today he was so shellshocked and scared he froze. It took about ten minutes for four of us to get him to roll over and expose that side. He wouldn't even take the treat I was handing him. He was terrified. I think it'll be better at home with me, but we'll see. My neighbor offered to come assist if I end up needing it. We are the two people in the world he trusts the most.

Wbentley is far better and calmer at home with things than at the vet. I hope it all works out.

I have the best dog in the world! He let me do what I needed to do and got his treat afterwards...two even!

Kay, that is so wonderful that everything went well and you were able to apply the medication. Yes, I'd say you both earned two treats! What a relief to know Arlie understands that you are trying to help him get well.

• 2 weeks later...

Something going on with my Sassy today. I have an appointment in about an hour with the vet. She got up with a limp, that has progressively gotten worse, and she is a little lethargic today also. She was fine, no limp when she went to bed last night. I would wait and see how she does thru the weekend, but after losing Faith, I am a little too nervous to do that. Will update after vet. visit. Say a little prayers for my corgi girl.

QMary

Sassy is fine. Vet thinks she may have a pulled muscle. He did xrays, and she does have some hip dysplasia, but he said if she was a lab, it would be considered really bad, but because she is a Corgi, not so bad...did not really understand that, (I guess because she is so short) but am just grateful she is ok. He gave her some pain meds, and trimmed her toe nails for me. I know I could have just waited until Monday, and she would have probably been fine, but was worried. Expensive little trip, but worth it to find out she is all right. She has gained a few pounds since April, she is now 26.5, still well within her range. I have busy weekend planned, so is good to know I can leave her alone.

QMary

Sassy may have been fine if you'd waited, QMary, but I think you would've been a wreck over the weekend, worrying about her! I'm SO relieved to know that she is okay. Thanks for letting us know ~ and I wish you both a lovely weekend!