Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahh, she's all tucked in for the night! Mary had one of Bentley like that on FB. Must be the midwest and eastern cold, everyone needs to wrap up their dogs in blankets! :)

Oh Deborah, my dear, I'm so sorry that your baby gave you such a scare. She looks adorable, all wrapped up in her blanket. Do let us know what the vet has to say tomorrow ~ and yes, of course we'll keep Maggie and you in our prayers.

Okay, I'll check back in a few hours and see what you find out. Let them know $ is a concern so they don't do unnecessary tests. Lots of times their gut instinct is right and the tests that are for naught are costly.

Update: She has torn the muscle surrounding her hip joint on one side and has a tiny fracture in her hip. Sent home w/meds and have to go back in 2 weeks. No running, jumping etc. The vet said these can heal but if she is not better in 2 weeks they want to do a more intensive xray, putting her to sleep with dye and stuff. I so so tired, worried myself sick over this. She's asleep now. 300.00 dollars later. Thankful its no worse. It just doesn't leave me much to go on. Thanks everyone for their prayers, it means so much. Heading upstairs to rest, Deborah

Deborah, your Maggie is so precious looking, love the picture. So glad they found what is wrong, and believe that it will heal, with patience. I do understand your concern over vet bills. When my little Faith was sick in August, her illness put a huge dent in my budget, but I would do it over in a heartbeat. I just wish the vets and I had been able to save her. Sassy and I miss her still very much. Sassy will not have near as much fun in the snow this year without Faith. They were so much fun to watch.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Maggie heals quickly.

QMary

I too am glad they found what it is. Sounds like with rest she will be ok. They are so very dear to us. Your hardest job is to keep her from overdoing it. Sounds like you need much rest too so take time for both of you. Hopefully the vet will let you make payments due to the large amount. I am sending you hugs, prayers and positive energy from me and my lab Zach. Let us know how things are going.

Shalady

Thank you all, No my vet requires payment immediately on the spot, I was short 54.00 and they've already called twice. I will have to borrow the rest from my brother. I have 3.00 in my checking acct. now. It gets hard not to feel defeated when I try so hard. I'm grateful the diagnosis wasn't worse. She did seem to sleep well last night, I was able to get one pill in her before bedtime. Deborah

I am glad that Maggie slept some last night. When I had to give Benji his pills for seizures I used to fold the pill in a small piece of bread or cheese and never had to worry. If I put it in his dish with his food I'd find everything gone and the pill was still in the dish.

It is such a reality for some of us who have lost our soul mates to struggle with finances. I am so sorry that you continue to have struggles.

We do what we can do and hope that it is enough.

Anne

Deborah,

I am so sorry, I know how hard the finances are, and when they concern our furry babies, it's the hardest. I will pray every day that she gets better, let's hope she won't need to go back in two weeks, that she'll show signs of improvement. She will probably lay still as much as she can if doing otherwise hurts, which will enable her to heal faster.

My neighbor uses peanut butter to get pills down, Easy Cheese works too, but I have found it easiest to shove the pill into the back of the throat and immediately follow with a yummy treat for them to gobble down before they have a chance to think of spitting it out. I've always had the kind of pets that caught on to sticking pills in the middle of a meatball, etc...they eat the meat and spit out the pill. :)

I hope you're able to get some rest.

She figured out the peanut butter trick, lol. I still try to get in into her mouth and eventually she swallows it. She's caught on to pretty much everything I've tried cheese, lunch meat, etc. and like Anne said I've put a pill in her food before and its always still sitting there when she's done. The vet said don't let her chase rabbits or anything (no kidding). I just brought her in from using the bathroom and what goes past us????? a black cat, well she leaped and of course now is holding her leg up. Oh for heaven sakes Larry please help me.

Will she let you take her out on a leash to do her business? I don't have a fenced yard so I take Arlie out to his pen or out on a leash to do his job and if he sees a cat or squirrel and wants to go after it, I hold onto his collar and twist slightly, pulling up slightly, which gives me leverage (he's 130 lbs) until the moment passes. (You wouldn't want to pull up because that would put weight to the back.) What a challenge they can be sometimes!

• 4 weeks later...

I was patting my Kelbi's chest and found a large lump. She is eight and a cocker spaniel. I know they are prone to lipomas and I so hope that is what it is. She has had little lumps but this is big. I can't think how I missed it. Oh I do hope it won't be cancer. I am making an appointment for next week as then my dear friend Sandra can come too as she is wonderful with Kelbi who has a vet phobia and has to wear a muzzle.

Jan, how has Kelbi been acting, maybe this is a false alarm, and something benign. I am so sorry, I know you are so worried. Will be keeping you and Kelbi in my thoughts and prayers, let us know after Kelbi sees the Vet next week.

QMary

Oh Jan, do let us know how it turns out, I hope everything is fine. Arlie gets lipomas too (Golden Retriever side) so I point them out to the vet and keep an eye on them.

Jan, you and Kelbi are in my thoughts and prayers. We had a yellow lab and he would get those. As with Kay, we would keep an eye on them and happily there was no problem. I hope this is the same situation. I will be waiting with the others to hear how things are.

Shalady

Arlie started limping last night, but did okay taking his walk today so I let him play with Sammy and the pup. When we got home, he was picking up his leg, so I gave him two baby aspirin...it didn't seem to help. I don't see anything wrong with his foot/paw, but when I barely touched it he yelped. He can tend to be an over-reacter so I don't know if it really hurt to barely touch or if he was afraid I'd hurt it and yelped before getting hurt,hard telling with him. So he's on bed rest the next couple of days and we'll see if it gets better or worse. I seriously doubt it's broken or he couldn't have run around on it like he did. Maybe he overdid it running with the pup. But I'm worried about him. :( Some way for him to spend his birthday Saturday.

Our pets are just like our children. Could he have injured the pad of his foot? Sometimes it is hard to see. The pads are so vulnerable, especially when they run around playing, stepping on something sharp can injure it. I remember once a dog of ours did that. My husband actually found a little burr embedded between two of the pads I hope the bed rest helps and he is feeling better for his birthday. Our first black lab we ever had was named Shalimar and her birthday was February 14. She was a sweet girl. Wishing Arlie well.

Shalady

He could have bruised the pad of his foot or turned his "ankle", I don't see anything. Last night he was carrying his foot, today he's putting it down but has a slight limp. I'm not "walking" him today or letting him play with other dogs or jump in/out of the truck, so it's going to be a boring week or two for him...so sad because I'd wanted to give him a nice birthday tomorrow. I let him walk with me to the mailbox and he can go in/out of his pen, but I'm trying to keep him still and remind him to "go slow" when he does have to walk.

I adopted Arlie Feb. 3, six years ago from a rescue and the vet told me the next day that he was "not quite a year" so I chose Feb. 14 to celebrate his birthday as I figured it'd be close to his actual bday.

I'm sure you always think of Shalimar on Feb. 14, we always remember and miss our pets when they go.

Kay,

I just saw this, after asking about Arlie, and I see he has a bruised pad or ankle injury. I hope it is better soon. Meanwhile, I know you will find a way to make a "Happy Birthday" for Arlie and he will enjoy every minute, even it if is just with you. You are a great fur-mom. :)

I am sorry I missed this post earlier. I am tardy with reading posts here.

*<twinkles>*

fae