Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Kay,

What a fright! I was panting there right along with Anne. That scare was enough to cause you to need to take two BP tablets. I'm so glad your big boy likes his hotdogs, and that his mama knows him well. Would you believe I took a break from these books because I was getting frazzled due to a problem I'm having difficulty with?

Anne, you had a regular little escape artist in your cute and sweet little Benji.

Marty, you really suffered regarding your Muffin. I'm sorry that happened to you. The only experience I ever had that even came close to yours is when Amberly's cat D.G. escaped when she was a teenager, and was gone for several days. We did all the usual things to find him. We were thinking that he was so beautiful that someone had likely stolen him. Just as we were giving up hope, we learned that a lady had found him, and was about to take him to the pound that very day, because he was battered, bruised, and looked more than half dead (not beautiful enough for anyone to steal him, for sure). We took him to the vet, nursed him back to health, and he lived many more years.

Callie was out after a delivery person left our front deck gate opened to the road. We didn't suffer the fear as you guys did, for we didn't know the little bugger had gone exploring until she was back home. She had crossed the street, and explored a tar weed (mountain misery) field, before a car had to stop in the middle of the street for her as she waddled back home. We didn't see that either. The driver delivered her to me, and said, "I believe this is yours." THAT is when we nearly went a little nutty. We knew she had taken a stroll through the tar weed (way over a Doxie'd head) only because she reeked of the strong scent. Both girls were total house babies, and the decks have baby fencing all around them, but all it took was someone deliberately fixing the gate so it would not automatically close for a near-disaster to happen.

Kay, I'm so glad your Arlie is home. Now, if Axil would just come home.

Carrie

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know all of you can relate because of the experiences you've each had.

Carrie, I remember tar weed so well...my childhood dog used to get into it and we were in a valley, not a mountain! We don't have it here, thank heavens, but there's elk skat to get into. Either one requires a bath!

Anne, I remember Benji's escapades! He put you through it! :)

Marty, Huskies are known for escaping...I'm fortunate he's also Golden Retriever, which means when he does escape, he stays nearby, whereas my son's dog, Skye, used to be found in the next county! He escaped one time while Paul was at school and someone found him dodging traffic on a busy highway! They had a rope and tied him up by the side of the road and called and left a message for Paul. He said he was going to check on him later and make sure he'd been picked up so he wouldn't be stuck there. It made us shudder in retrospect, but it's different when you don't know until after they're safe! Yes, like your Muffin!

Arlie's gotten loose before, my neighbor let him loose twice lately, but I was never afraid like this time, because of the highway being so close. They are our babies, and we feel like any mother would, terrified until they're safely home! Yes, Carrie, if Axil would just come home.

• 2 weeks later...

Arlie's limping again (same foot), he ran with the pup earlier today, am thinking it's just too much for him. Maybe he has arthritis starting. Am going to have to curtail his activities some, he's not as young as he once was...am not sure he realizes it...until too late.

Sorry Kay, hope he is better with rest. They are just like us, we feel okay so we end up overdoing it. I am doing the same thing. My back and leg were feeling good after the shots so I think I am back to normal and then the pain reminds me to stop. When I stop I think more and then there is that pain in your heart, remembering what is lost. Life is not for the weak, that is for sure. Just have to keep going. I really hope Arlie stops limping. Maybe it is just arthritis like you said. How old is Arlie?

Arlie is seven but he's 132 lbs and big dogs age faster. I have him on a diet but he doesn't seem to be losing. He eats less than my son's dogs that are half his size. :( I'm afraid he got his mommy's genetics! I've been dieting for 3 1/2 months and plateaued for 7-8 weeks now.

You're right, it's every time he overdoes it. The first time I thought he'd bruised his pad or turned an ankle, but now I'm thinking it's probably arthritis because it's always the same leg. His ankle doesn't seem sensitive though, but if I press on the pad, he pulls back. There's nothing in them, no cuts. He did cut a pad all the way through once and they had to staple it together, but I don't remember which paw it was, I should call the vet and ask them...maybe arthritis from that injury?

Kay,

I'm sorry Arlie is limping again. If it's arthritis, he can really hurt badly. He could even have arthritis in his toes. If he would stand in warm to hot water, even for a few minutes at a time, the moist heat will feel good. I have Beauregard and Callie stand in hot water almost every day, but they're little and easy to manage. If arthritis, Metacam is a good anti- inflammatory. Beauregard couldn't take it due to his stomach, but both Ashely and Callie took it. I give it to Callie every other day. It was given every day until we learned of her having kidney disease. It takes her kidneys longer to filter now, so the vet said to make the change.

Regarding your diet, you are eating healthfully, so you're likely fine to plateau for a while. I think I remember you saying that you are eating kale. Amberly helped one of the doctors at the clinic give a seminar on eating healthfully a couple of weeks ago. He teaches to eat a lot of raw veggies and fruits, and suggests making them into smoothies. Kale is a prime ingredient. That girl is about to turn me green with purple streaks on kale. Eating her prescribed four turnips in a week, along with all these greens, was just a tad much (kill or cure?).

Shalady, try to take care of yourself and not overdo. I'm glad the shots help, and sorry you still hurt when you overdo. I'm not really good at taking my own advice. Callie (Doxie) is feeling better due to her medicine, so she and I were running together through Jerry's shop, and having a grand time until I got a cramp in an upper abdominal muscle, and a powerful hurt in my right SI joint when I turned a corner too fast (I forgot momentarily that I'm old!). It was late in the day, so it was off to bed with a heating pad for me until morning. I sent Callie to her bed underneath her light for heat. I overdid, and I suspect she did also. She's pushing fifteen.

Hugs to both,

Carrie

Hope Arlie is resting leg and feeling better. I know how worried you must be. The weather is not good for arthritis either. We just want them to be healthy and happy. Let us know how he is doing. Don't worry too much about your weight. You are eating healthy and as long as you keep your glucose at a good number that is what is important. The weight will take care of itself. You will be more active come Spring and maybe that will make a difference.

I went out yesterday and stayed too long on my feet. I am really paying for it now. Have to get the Aleve going. I don't want to take too much of the other pain medicine. More shots on Tuesday.

Shalady

Yes, I make Kale smoothies, Kale & Spinach soup, Kale & everything else Salad, I even make Boca Burgers from Kale! I've never eaten so healthy!

Arlie was fine the next morning, it seems every time he overdoes it, this happens. I think he doesn't realize his age. For his weight, he is the equivalent of age 64! Last night he went and played with Sammy for an hour, and the pup was not outside (next door) and he did not overdo it, and he didn't limp. It seems only to happen following the pup being out...he likes to run back and forth along the fence and tries to keep up with the pup...we all know we can't keep up with a pup! But he pays for it later. I give him two baby aspirin when he's suffering like that. I can't imagine getting him to stand in warm water...it'd be as easy and getting a wild horse to do what you want!

Is Metacam a pill or an ointment? I am leery of putting ointments on him for fear of him licking them off, they aren't always safe for ingestion. But if it's a pill I could get it down him with bribery (one good thing about having a dog that is a glutton!)

Metacam is a pill. It is like Naproxen or Celebrex. Vets like to use it, and now it's being prescribed by physicians as well. Celebrex is the safest of the anti-inflammatory drugs, according to all of Jerry's doctors. Of course, it's not "on the formulary" (I'm beginning to think few things are).

Carrie

I hadn't had my coffee. Metacam is also a liquid, and dosage is based on weight and given carefully. Less than prescribed can be used, but never more. Never put directly into their mouth; instead, put it into food. We use the liquid for Callie. Works well. I have one eye open. I'll go now and work on the other one.

I was told dogs couldn't process anti-inflammatory medicine, that it's like poison to them (like Ibuprofen). Liquid would be easier to get into them, I'm sure. I just read the side effects for Metacam for dogs and it doesn't sound good...Arlie has a sensitive stomach already. I wish there was an easy fix!

Actually, vets use them regularly, but with caution. OTC kinds may be different, but I'm not an authority on this. They're not usually monitored by the vet, so that would be a variable also. Vets at two locations told us that of all the anti-inflammatory meds, Metacam causes fewer problems. Stomach problems are most common for animals and people. Some can cause stokes. Celebrex is safest for people, according to Jerry's doctors. Mine prefers for me to take Celebrex, if I "must" take one, because it causes fewer strokes. Because of the price, I use naproxen instead. He's not happy with me, but I do what I must do. I try to take fewer. As I said, I'm no authority on this subject. Of course, you will want to follow your own vet's advice for Arlie, because he or she knows your big boy best.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since this section was used. I am still very, very sick, and to top it off, suffering with allergies severe! Arlie has been on my heart as he's been head-shaking for the last eight days, usually indicative of an ear infection. He rubbed his head on the ground to try and alleviate the itching even. I've had him on an ear ointment Gentizol for seven days, twice a day, cleaning his ear, then putting in the ointment. Yesterday I took him in to the vet and she took too long trying to look into his ear, when he suddenly jerked his head. He actually was being pretty good (for him) but I think vets expect them to act like adult people you can reason with! She said she could knock him out and examine him. No thank you! I remember being knocked out myself before Christmas, no do trust anymore! If it was a life or death situation maybe, but not for this. She said normally there's indication of something wrong in the outer ear when there's an inner ear infection. I've heard the opposite. I reminded her he had dug at his ear and got it bleeding but due to my vigilance and good care it healed up readily. She said she'd leave it my call, so I told her to prescribe an antibiotic to be sure. She had told me he could have wax or a hair inside his ear bothering him and I could put olive oil into his ear and let him shake it out. I reminded her that the Gentizol is oily and I'd been putting 2 ml in each ear all week, twice a day. She said, "oh yeah, that should do the same thing." She said to discontinue the Gentizol and she prescribed an oral antibiotic that she cautioned to give two capsules twice a day with food. She said it could make his stomach hurt. On the bottle it said to discontinue if it hurt the stomach. I gave him his first two doses yesterday with some human food to get it down him (I can't command him to eat his dog food, he eats it when he feels like it). He never touched his food all day. He laid there all lethargic, all day/eve. eyes drooping, clearly not feeling well. The vet had seemed more interested in his weight than his ears. I am upset that she prescribed this Rx when Amoxicillin would have worked fine, been cheaper and easier to tolerate. I'm not giving him any more, he can't go ten days w/o his food! Maybe the Gentizol already did the trick, I don't know, he isn't shaking his head as much, but still does once in a while, although the ointment itself might be bugging him. I've decided to clean his ear and then leave it alone and see what happens. Poor baby! If only they could tell us how they're feeling.

I'm so sorry you're not getting more helpful cooperation from your vet, Kay ~ How very frustrating this must be for you! Did you look up whatever side effects were possible with the antibiotic she prescribed? It sounds as if you were wise to discontinue the Rx, given Arlie's response. I know these ear infections can be a pain, and very hard to clear up. You know Arlie better than anyone, though, and I'm glad you're following your own good instincts.

I am so sorry that you are still not feeling well Kay. Allergy season is tough enough to deal with without being ill on top of it.

Please keep us informed as to how Arlie is doing. I've heard about using a few drops of olive oil in the ear is helpful for ear problems.

Do take care of yourself and rest when you can.

I've been resting all week, it's all I can do to take care of myself and the animals. I am still miserable. I tried to nap yesterday but got four phone calls in a row and gave up.

Kay,

I hope Arlie continues to improve. I hope you are feeling better, too. Yesterday was very emotional in regards to the trip to the vet...but when I went to pick up the babies, I felt better. They all did well, and my vet bill was pretty good for three dogs. My little Max put on 6 pounds since he was there in June...Pongo has gained 11. Their nails are clipped and they are good to go with new flea meds. This morning was actually a good morning, partly because it is Friday and I am looking forward to a visit from my friend and her puppy. I hope you continue to feel better.

Thanks, Maryann. I just told the Music Chairperson I wouldn't likely be at church Sunday (I'm on the Morning Worship Team) so she could find someone else to sing for me. This is a long knock down drag out bug & allergies!

I'm glad it went well at the vet. I'm still upset with my vet for prescribing something she knew he wouldn't be able to tolerate, she knows his system is delicate, we talked about it right before she Rx this! They only open once a week so I can't even get a hold of her.

Kay, hope you are better very soon. Is this vet the only option available to you? I don't like the sound of her, seems like she does not really listen to you. Hope Arlie is improving.

QMary

It was my only option at the time. I live in the country, she's only up on Wednesdays, and a trip to the other vet would be 120 mile round trip, which I'm not up to while I'm sick. He seems to be okay, just shaking his head once in a great while now.

I have found my new forever friend. Her name is Marley and she is a cream colored lab/shepherd. Just a beautiful girl. I had seen her on the Humane Society website a few nights ago. She had come in that day and I knew someone would scoop her up the next day. Sure enough when I looked , her picture was gone. So yesterday, I checked for other dogs and she was back. I called my son and we went to meet her. I knew she would be fairly sizable and was almost afraid I couldn't handle her. Although she is 60+ lbs., she is 3 years old and will not grow and does well on the leash. She is very human oriented and wants to be right by your side and she is housebroken, a big plus. She and my grandson love each other. She stayed in his room until I got up this morning.

I am so glad I could give her a new home and it is a new "leaf" for me. Will take some pictures as soon as I can.

Love,

Karen

Congrats Karen...Marley will bring you all sorts of love and comfort. I am so very thankful for my pack at home...Pongo, Hannah and Max. Mark and I were both the kind of people if we had a big place, we would go and adopt all kinds of dogs to love. It feels wonderful when we can give love to a rescue dog. I can already feel all the love that Marley is going to get.

Best to you all,

Maryann

Karen,

I am so happy for you! This is a wonderful addition to your family! I can't wait to see pictures and hear Marley stories! And if you find her starting to pull too hard, you can try a Halti. They make the difference between my being able to handle my dog...or not. I've learned a lot of tricks about how to handle a large dog (mine is 132 lbs & I'm a small 62 year old). If you ever need tips, message me.