Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Voices and Visits

This seems like it is way out there but my Wife Angela's voice woke me up a few nights ago. I was around 2 AM, (can't sleep) making some soup, simmering the onions and beef on the stove. I went to watch TV and  dozed....next thing I heard was Kevin, wake up.......my feet hit the ground and I went to the kitchen. Then I looked around and tried to process what just happened........I was never one to talk about or even convinced the Spirit world existed......but I am now....I discussed this with an Elderly Lady and she said what I experienced is common....don't deny it, but embrace it..... 

Edited by kevin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About two weeks after my wife passed, I felt she shook the bed, and crawled in and snuggled next to me.  I woke up startled as she was not able to sleep in the bed for two years prior to her death.  I went back to sleep and got woke up again, This time she was running to my side of the bed and jumped in said something startled her and she came to me for comfort.  I don't know what the experience was. It seemed real to me. I don't know what to make of it.  I just accepted it for whatever it was.  I have not had anything like that happen since.  Shalom. 

Kevin, I assume that when you dozed off it was while things were actually cooking on the stove. If that is the case, then you have your reason and explanation as well. My wife and I believed in afterlife communication and before she died in 2011, she told me she would try her best to reach me. She found a way. From the very first day, she has been pretty active in more ways than I can mention here. My son who entered my home to get something for me and knowing things I had told him about my wife and the house, asked her a question and a light above his head turned on. When he came to me, he said you won't believe what happened. I said "let me guess".

When things like this happen to you, you tend to find others with similar experiences so when someone asks do I believe in after life communication, I answer "you bet I do".

By the way Marty, when I first was getting grief counseling from our mutual friend, she came to my home and when I mentioned what was happening, she told me that it was very common. She said they have a way with electricity. I was further convinced that I wasn't going mad.

Remember Chris who used to post here?  His wife would ring the doorbell, it came to mean a lot to him.

I know that Mark is with me; I can feel his energy.  I also know that he was here to help the electrician put in the electric box under that counter. The man was working and made a comment, "Geez, that wire just dropped perfectly right where I needed it to."  I said, "that is Mr. Mueller helping you."  He asked, "who's Mr. Mueller?"  I said, "my husband.  He is in there helping you."  I know he considered himself my protector; not in a macho kind of way, but I know he would kill tigers for me.  I have not had any dream visitations of him; I haven't allowed myself to ask for one.  Not sure if I would handle it well just yet.  I know he gave me the biggest sign when I took my trip to Eugene.  He sent me a giant rooster.  Couldn't have asked for a bigger sign that he was watching out over me.

Rooster.jpg

I went looking for this so I could get a picture of it for you and I couldn't find it (I even called the hotel).  I'm glad to see you took a picture!

Kevin, so many incidents have happened since my Doug left that I have some to watch a bit better for their appearance.  From wind chimes ringing on still days when I would sit down on our special bench, to the arrival of special gifts on anniversaries, to things falling from shelves, or rolling out in front of me, things happen.  And sometimes, Doug comes in my dreams, usually to answer a question I have, or to give me a message about letting go of something, or to simply stand in front of me and tell me he loves me.  

What has come to surprise me is not the communications, but our cultural incredulity at events considered quite normal in lots of cultures.  We are surrounded by love and loving spirits.  And it is such a wonderful gift to be able to feel and hear, to know that they are with us.  

Maryann, I am smiling at Mark's giant rooster!  How absolutely super!

*<twinkles>*

fae

• 2 weeks later...

Debi, just a tip, whenever you feel a cool draft, your "spidey senses" should start to tingle....I actually think it takes a sender and a receiver to make this communication work. It is without a doubt, that the Spirit or Essence of our recently passed are still apart of us.....I talk to Angela all the time........today I worked on my Van and got the A/C blower replaced, once the job was complete, I looked at the passenger seat and said, told you I'd fix it..........If  I ever meet someone else, she will have to be very understanding........ 

That's a wonderful tip Kevin and I get what you mean when you say the phrase 'spidey senses' because it is a tingle like no other. I understand too that it is a 2 way communication and the receiver has to be open to it. I am fascinated that as you have said before you previously didn't believe in this, so I know that your signs have been very strong to change your mind.

My husband believed in it because he experienced it many times alone and the both of us together. About 3 months before he died he heard someone come into the living room carrying plates (he heard them rattle) and walk into the kitchen. He assumed it was me and as he was washing up he didn't turn, just started a conversation. When he no one answered he turned and of course there was no one there. He was so sure of what he had felt that he came upstairs to find and question me. On the morning of my mother's funeral he heard her say to him I'I am here' My husband was not a fanciful man, very practical with mechanics skills, actually he could fix anything, he had even built a house for his family. He had had a very hard life and this had made him sensitive rather than hard. 

I know he would try and come through if at all possible and I am distressed he hasn't. Maybe the numb raw grief is blocking this? It has only be 5 weeks today when he passed. Having said that we were sitting in a friend's garden around 10pm and a feather floated down from nowhere - he loved birds......I think I am expecting a marching band or a full sighting and therefore expecting way too much. I suppose I am finding it impossible to believe that I won't catch a glimpse of his gorgeous face on this earth again. Some things are too painful to even contemplate.

As for your meeting someone else in the future and her understanding. Your convictions and sensitivity make you a far more rounded and interesting man Kevin. The right person would understand that. Death cannot destroy love. I think that is a 2 way street too.

I too have had some mystical experiences and still do ... I remember one morning hearing my name shouted and it literally shocked me away.  Then I realized the call had come from inside of me and I quickly sent the words by thought "I'm here Ric".   Sometimes I'm awakened, and go to sleep, just feeling his energy move over my body.  When I feel the energy I send the thought "I feel you".  It is comforting to me to know that there are times that he's still close to me.

I also forgot to mention that I FINALLY saw him in full technicolor (almost 120 days after he died) last Monday morning.  I remember I came out of terminal (like an airport or bus terminal) and I just stood there looking.  I turned to my right and there he was, Mr. Handsome Man.  It was raining, and he was standing under an umbrella ... strong and healthy ... and he looked happy.  He was also standing in front of his new 5 series BMW that he'd bought just before he died (that I had to return to the dealer).  I was really happy to see that he had his car.  Then he waved at me and I started moving toward him.  Then the closer I got the dream faded and I woke up.  I was so happy and so grateful for my dream.

Edited by Suitearia
Add Content

Debi ... give him time.  He may need to heal a little bit and get used to his new life.  He may have been trying to get through to you and just cannot.  I've read that when we are so raw and emotional after grief that it can be hard for them to get through.  

I've read a lot of books on grief, a lot.  My favorite remains one by Doreen Virtue and James Van Praagh called "how to heal a broken heart".  On page 5 they talk about sending healing prayers to Heaven.   Here is what the authors say " Heaven sends you healing prayers and you can send them back to heaven!  Pray for your loved ones in Spirit, sending then love and asking God, Jesus, and the angels to help them as they transition into the afterlife".  Don't forget to ask God, Jesus, and the angels to send you love to heal and help you transition in your new life as well.  My therapist just reminded me of that one ... 

This meant a lot to me as it gave me something to DO for Ric.  I could still love him and touch him through prayer.  I hope that this doesn't offend you ... 

Our loved ones are around us.  Sometimes it takes us awhile to realize it ... and I'll confess Debi, I've been jealous when I wasn't getting anything and others were (and not just here).   {hugs to you}

Debi,

Suzanne is right. It might take some time. I have the same book as her, and it helps me. I still haven't had a dream of Mark, and I feel sad when others talk of seeing their loved one. But perhaps it is because I'm not ready to SEE him. I know I don't give myself enough quiet time to HEAR him. But I do FEEL him, his energy is so present with me...even now as I type this. He will contact you, Debi. And just give yourself time to SEE the signs.

It was a year or two before I had a dream with George in it.  I couldn't understand why everyone else did except me, when we were so close to each other, we were each other's world.  It doesn't have anything to do with how much you love each other, some of us dream and don't remember them because we sleep so hard.

Suitearia, Maryann and KayC, Thank you thank you for sharing your experiences and for your honesty when you all say that reading of other peoples signs when you had none yourselves was agony! 

Suitearia, how absolutely wonderful to hear him call you and to feel his energy when you are sleeping. Your glorious technicolour experience brought me to tears and I too am so happy Ric had his car back. I wonder if the rain is the tears you have and continue to shed? What a wonderful affirmation of your love and so comforting particularly to see him so happy and well.  You are right. I need to give my husband time. His death was so sudden that it takes time for it to sink it not least for him, the shock goes both ways I am sure. I will look for the book you and Maryann have and I am not at all offended by the idea of touching our loved ones through prayer. I think it is beautiful. 

I think I have become so desperate in my grief that I want everything to happen now. We were joined at the hip in life and I feel like an something so much a part of me physically, mentally and spiritually has gone it has left me gasping for air and trying to put it all back together again. 

You may well be right Maryann, maybe I am just not ready. I am having problems starting a dialogue with him because I just want to scream 'Come Back' which isn't fair to either of us, I know. Like you I often don't have enough quiet time, because when I can't hear his voice chatting to me I panic and fill the void with TV or music. I pray you are right Maryann and that he will contact me and I pray too that you soon have glorious dreams of Mark.

KayC my son has a theory about keeping a dream journal so you write and record the smallest detail you remember from any dream. he says in this way you can start training your brain to remember. I don't know if it works but I am happy you finally dreamt of George. My love goes out to you all.

That idea of the dream Journal is dynamite....I write down every dream, every odd voice, wind chime without wind, and when someone else mentions a similar event.......It is amazing even finding something out of place or something shows up unexpectedly.......It will be six weeks tomorrow since I lost Angela and definitely feel I am making progress with my Grief control. But I had a long journey yesterday and was flooded with memories, and Tears. Go figure..

Kevin, I am delighted that you have a dream journal, I will tell my son and I will start one and also to mark any little 'coincidences' or odd happenings. I haven't really had many though have you ? I know you heard Angela's voice which is wonderful. I have yet to receive anything so tangible.

Like you it is 6 weeks today for me since I lost my beloved husband. I am not surprised you had a bad time the other day. It is ONLY 6 weeks.

George and I were like joined at the hip, yet it took me a year or two before I dreamed of him.  I couldn't understand why, when he was my whole life.  I wouldn't worry unduly about whether you do or don't have dreams of him, he consumes your waking moments, that is enough.

Special Room or Place........................I find or sense, certain areas of the house bring on some special "memories". This is almost like rewinding a memory. In my house it is our Hot Tub room....it was decorated by Angela, flowers, hanging stuff, Chimes, whole nine yards....in her last years she would sit in there and gaze around , then she would say, somebody did a lot of work here, and I would answer, it was you.....then she will smile and say, I know. This memory is so vivid....I'm in the Tub three times daily and leave with smiles and tears everytime...........Good news is went to the Gym today, and walked 8 miles.

Smiles and tears...seems to describe our journey.

Good for you, Kevin!  8 miles!  You're going to do marathons like our Harry.

Kevin

i have experienced a couple times in eight months hearing my bride's beautiful voice waking me and I swear I see her sometimes when I smell things with her scent.  I thought I was insane.  But I guess not.  

Blessings to you

Butch

Butch it is real, embrace it, you are not going crazy........I talked to an older lady whose husband passed away after 55 years, she says this happens often,but usually at home.......It is so common, it is difficult to dispute......It is a strange journey we are in,who would figure.....