Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Six Months and Moving Forward

On February 1, 2016 at 2:58 PM, kayc said:

Brad, I got more snow during the night.  I got my Treasurer's Reports done at the church today, came home and started a big pot of soup, and got my firewood in.  I plan on sitting by the fire and reading this afternoon! :) 

Kay- 

We got about a foot of snow maybe yesterday. It is hard to tell since it was so windy so it drifted a lot. Today I left early to come to the Valley for dr appts. Got a kick out of watching school kids on the bus gawking at my snow covered car as I drove through Scottsdale. 

Hello, I lost my husband of 34 years on 7/08/2015 due to complications from pneumonia.  I never imagined when we went into the hospital that we would not return together.  It has been a tough 6 months. I had a panic attack today that came out of nowhere. trying to cope and know that I am drinking to much. I can't sleep so the wine has been helping. He passed, I sold the house and moved out of Boston, Ma. to Wilmington, N.C.  My family is here and they have been great, but I have lost my partner. Thanks for listening

• Upvote 1

Penny my most sincere condolences and Welcome to this unfortunate club.....Pneumonia seems curable, this was a major shock .. You must have been numb......I have been fortunate as of late, The Grief attacks, out of the blue have abated, almost feel its manageable, but am on guard and avoid known Grief situations.......Alcohol masks as a friend but sometimes digs us a hole, and I am speaking from the bottom of many holes......Come back let us know how you are doing.......there are some great people going through exactly the same as us.....Marty is a Gem....good luck

Penny,

I am sorry you lost your husband so unexpectedly, my husband died at 51 of a heart attack, never expected that either.  Alcohol is a depressant so doesn't help your mood overall, maybe you can talk to your doctor about your panic attack and trouble sleeping.  I have anxiety esp. at night (hence I'm up now) and know how that feels.  Also trouble sleeping lately due to the anxiety.

I'm glad you're near family, you have been through a lot in six months.

Penny, I also am sad to welcome you here.  But it is a wonderful 'family' that is there and priceless.  I didn't have the sudden loss as you did, mine took years.  But many can offer you their experiences.  We also all do things that are not the best for us when hit with such a shock.  You will find your way thru that.  Best to now express your feelings if you want and see if that helps.  I have panic attacks also and I know how horrible they feel.  I don't know what your feeling is about meds, but they are available to help.  I have wine at night too because I need to unwind from getting thru a day alone, even if I have been with others.  You are at that 6/7 month point when things start becoming very real and that is very difficult.  I hope you will feel safe enough to take advantage of all the wonderful people that don't want to be here also.  I can tell you there has been nothing said someone couldn't relate to.  

• Upvote 1

I wish I could feel as positive as all of you here.  It's been 7 1/2 months for me, and, yes, I am moving forward in a sense, doing things, working part-time, joined a music group, spending time with friends, but I'm doing it with such a broken heart, which doesn't make me feel very positive.  It all still feels like a chore and I am so sad and fighting hard feelings all the time.  I feel like everyone is moving forward and I'm stuck in time......

• Upvote 3

Dear Cookie,

What an appropriate word...chore.  That is how a lot of the things I do because I have to, or social times when I have to.  I try and take myself out of the sadness I feel; but it is so tiring trying to be something I am not.  Trying to NOT be sad, when I am.  I am looking at 14 months tomorrow.

• Upvote 2

Oh Maryann, I know how hard it is facing yet another hour, month without them.  Now that I am at 15 months, those hit hardest.  I don't know where the time went, but I do know I have been in pain another long time to mark off.  Trying to escape the sadness drains me also, so I quit doing that.  It was an impossible task anyway.  I now structure as best I can things I have to do around it.  Sometimes I am surprised and I find I get lost in the moment for a little bit.  Others it is counting the minutes til I can depart.  One thing that has helped was giving up what anyone thought about my actions or lack of them.  This is my journey alone and if they don't get it, fine.  Thus is all about us now.  How we go on living.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Cookie said:

working part-time, joined a music group, spending time with friends, but I'm doing it with such a broken heart, which doesn't make me feel very positive.  It all still feels like a chore and I am so sad and fighting hard feelings all the time.  I feel like everyone is moving forward and I'm stuck in time......

Cookie,

You are working hard and although you don't feel it that hard work is paying off. You are moving through your grief just as we all are. You are far more sociable than I and while it feels like a chore and will for a long time, it is helping you to grow. I see you as being the one moving forward and myself the one stuck in time. 

On ‎3‎.‎2‎.‎2016 at 3:57 AM, penny714 said:

Hello, I lost my husband of 34 years on 7/08/2015 due to complications from pneumonia.  I never imagined when we went into the hospital that we would not return together.  It has been a tough 6 months. I had a panic attack today that came out of nowhere. trying to cope and know that I am drinking to much. I can't sleep so the wine has been helping. He passed, I sold the house and moved out of Boston, Ma. to Wilmington, N.C.  My family is here and they have been great, but I have lost my partner. Thanks for listening

Dear Penny,

I´d also like to tell you how much I´m sorry for the loss of your beloved husband and being here,I truly hope,you can find much needed understanding,such a big support and a lot of comfort giving by other great people here who never let you down.Just come here as often as possible to make it through together.We all are here for you.Please,take care!

Hugs from Janka

SpreadLove.gif

Kevin, that's a for sure!!

When Arlie is sick I make a concoction of chopped (without skin) cooked chicken breast, NO GREASE or spices, rice, and potato, can be moistened with plain yogurt.  Normally he has two cups dogfood twice a day.  I have him go without food for 24 hours to give his intestines and colon a chance to rest and heal, then I give him 1 cup of this mixture for his first meal, and see how he does.  If he does okay, I give him another cup next meal.  Still doing okay, I put him on two cups twice a day.  I do this for about five days and it heals him right up.  (Huskies are prone to Colitis and other digestive problems).  I also give him Probiotics every day, there's one called Probios, made for animals, 1 tsp. day for most dogs.

• Upvote 1

There are 3 types of people in my life:

The roots,being here for me in the good times and the bad times too...

The leaves,falling down after the good times are gone...

The weeds,embittering my life until I rip out them one by one...

Janka

KayC...how old is your Dog?............Probiotics what make?........thanks...Dogs like a kid....when sick need attention...........Janka, I like yanking out the weeds, even if they are in laws , family I still put up with...

Arlie just turned eight.  The brand is called Probios, I bought it the first time at the vet, it's dispersible powder.  It tells how much for your size dog, cat, etc.  I buy mine on line now because I can get a larger size and save $ on it.  The 240 g was about $15 when I first bought it, it could be slightly more now.  I buy a 5 lb. container now from Santa Cruz Animal Health, I think the last one I bought was about $45, they have an eBay store that's slightly less than their regular store.  I compare prices when I buy it.  He's on it for life, he's only been sick one time since I've kept him on daily probiotics, but the diet straightens him right out.  Arlie is 140 lbs, so he's a big boy. :)

40 minutes ago, kevin said:

KayC...how old is your Dog?............Probiotics what make?........thanks...Dogs like a kid....when sick need attention...........Janka, I like yanking out the weeds, even if they are in laws , family I still put up with...

Kevin,

my "family",that means mother and brother,took away everything from me...the family doesn´t always mean a blood relative...for me the real family does mean people who always truly love me and never let me down...I don´t have a family anymore...just the people close to me that love me and care for me by now.

Janka

PS:And although they both hurt me the most,nevertheless I forgave them everything they two have done to me,but stopped talking to them as they don't care of me anymore.I pray for them so far.That´s all I can do.

Janka

Janka,

I am so sorry this has been your experience.  I am fortunate to have my sisters, but unfortunately they are aging and I fear losing them too someday.  My "family" usually means my dog and two cats. :)  I love my kids but don't get to see them very often.

23 minutes ago, kevin said:

...no room for hate in my life...

I´m the same.The hate is wrong.There´s much needed to pray for them.It´s the best for everyone. :)

Janka

The way it was explained to me,  Hate effects and consumes only the person who chooses to hate, it is a senseless waste of energy.  Where as the Energy expended in  Love effects the Giver and Receiver.....

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, kevin said:

The way it was explained to me,  Hate effects and consumes only the person who chooses to hate, it is a senseless waste of energy.  Where as the Energy expended in  Love effects the Giver and Receiver.....

I agree with what you wrote now,but I´d like to add something that I take for main.It´s a sin.Hate is something unacceptable for me.The love is the only one thing that does matter.

Hugs from Janka

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Janka,

I am so sorry this has been your experience.  I am fortunate to have my sisters, but unfortunately they are aging and I fear losing them too someday.  My "family" usually means my dog and two cats. :)  I love my kids but don't get to see them very often.

Kay,

and what about your dog and two cats?Do they get along well? :rolleyes:

So good,you have them. :)

Hugs from Janka