Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

With my food allergies, I got allergic to the very things I ate/loved the most! It lasted for 14 years, then I began to get some things back, never did get fish & asparagus back and still have to watch my quantity of garlic and tomatoes.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a link to a site my vet sent today regarding holidays and over feeding our pets. It includes home made (and less expensive) treat suggestions as well as other feeding tips. Here is an excerpt on treats. I need to add that I would never switch out Bentley's entire diet (and I do not think that is the intention of this piece) as we all know that can cause distress for our dogs. I recommend reading the entire article.

This meal is for a 20 to 40 lb. dog. Reduce or increase portion size accordingly.

Salad
Chopped spinach (1/2 cup), baby carrots (4) and apple cubes (6 - ½” cubes) – approximately 25 calories

Main Course
Turkey – roasted breast without the skin – 2 ounces – approximately 75 calories
Cooked sweet potato – ¼ large sweet potato – approximately 40 calories
Green beans – ½ cup – approximately 8 calories

Desert
Canned pumpkin – ¼ cup – approximately 20 calories
Graham crackers (plain) – ½ sheet (2 cookies) – approximately 30 calories
Honey – ½ teaspoon – approximately 12 calories
Cinnamon spice – pinch

If you have any questions or concerns, you should always visit or call your veterinarian – they are your best resource to ensure the health and well-being of your pets.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/lifestyle/holiday-fatness-affects-pets-too#sthash.Vmn6cPke.dpuf

I think the author of this holiday meal for dogs was intending to show how many calories are in the food that people give their dogs (in part or all) and to watch the calories. There are many people who still feed their dogs table food or a raw food diet. I would never give my dog this food either but I might give him a bit of a sweet potato or other item on this list. Not sure if anyone would do this for their dog. Read the article and you will see what the author intended. I probably should have posted the whole piece but the link is there. The point is to keep the calories down on our pets over the holidays. Sorry for the confusion. My fault.

Mary

My daughter has to work until 1 on Thanksgiving, so guess I will be cooking. My dogs will probably get a little turkey, but that is about all. They will, however, look at us eating at the table, sadly, like they are starving to death. Not sure if I am going to cook traditional or something different. Probably traditional, as that will be what the granddaughters want.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

We've always given our dogs baby carrots for treats, they love them. A little potato or meat w/o skin/fat is fine, but I think it should be in small quantity.

I think the author of this holiday meal for dogs was intending to show how many calories are in the food that people give their dogs (in part or all) and to watch the calories. There are many people who still feed their dogs table food or a raw food diet. I would never give my dog this food either but I might give him a bit of a sweet potato or other item on this list. Not sure if anyone would do this for their dog. Read the article and you will see what the author intended. I probably should have posted the whole piece but the link is there. The point is to keep the calories down on our pets over the holidays. Sorry for the confusion. My fault.

Mary

Ah got ya, no my fault, should have read it. :) I think - as with people - the key is moderation. I'm not above giving mine little bits of something I'm having, but the key is "little bits." He's happy because he feels like he's getting something, but in reality it's scarcely a bite of food. And I watch what it is - typically a small piece of cheese etc. In fact I advise being VERY careful what "people food" you do give a dog, even small amounts - chocolate isn't the only thing that can be harmful or even fatal! And it can vary from breed to breed (ham for example can be fatal to certain breeds even in tiny amounts, but not others).

I agree. The key is moderation and being careful of what goes in their mouths. I give Bentley veggies, a little, some fruit now and then and an egg once in a blue moon. He does get a small scoop of ice cream, vanilla, on rare occasions and his birthday.

Peace

Mary

Today I get Sammy for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm concerned because she's on Gravy Train, whereas Arlie has a more sensitive constitution and eats healthier dogfood. Dogs being dogs, they will want each other's food. And they don't always eat on command. When Arlie stayed there, Sammy ate his food so he was forced to eat Sammy's. I didn't like this, but it was only two days. 2 1/2 weeks is altogether different. Am not sure how to handle this. I'm just plain nervous about how all this is going to go. I was kind of backed into a corner with this. Kitty will not take kindly to this wild puppy in the house and will go into hiding behind the washing machine. I always felt bad enough when my son's puppies came, but at least that was two days, not 2 1/2 weeks. Ugh!

I agree. The key is moderation and being careful of what goes in their mouths. I give Bentley veggies, a little, some fruit now and then and an egg once in a blue moon. He does get a small scoop of ice cream, vanilla, on rare occasions and his birthday.

Peace

Mary

That reminds me, he hasn't had "Frosty Paws" in a long time, I might get him some for the holidays :)

Today I get Sammy for 2 1/2 weeks. I'm concerned because she's on Gravy Train, whereas Arlie has a more sensitive constitution and eats healthier dogfood. Dogs being dogs, they will want each other's food. And they don't always eat on command. When Arlie stayed there, Sammy ate his food so he was forced to eat Sammy's. I didn't like this, but it was only two days. 2 1/2 weeks is altogether different. Am not sure how to handle this. I'm just plain nervous about how all this is going to go. I was kind of backed into a corner with this. Kitty will not take kindly to this wild puppy in the house and will go into hiding behind the washing machine. I always felt bad enough when my son's puppies came, but at least that was two days, not 2 1/2 weeks. Ugh!

How about putting the visiting dog's bowls in a diff room?

It doesn't matter, she sneaks into things. Arlie will have to learn to eat fast.

Well my little Corgi girls are quite miffed at me today. They had to wait on their breakfast until my daughter came by here on her way to work. I really think I could sort of squat down and feed them myself, but she won't hear of it. She started to fuss at me yesterday, as my blue garbage and recycle bins were back by the garage....barely let me explain that my friend Tom brought them in from the road when he came by to check on me....lol. She is very protective of her Mom...guess I don't mind.

Sassy, Faith and I are just doing a lot of sitting around, and in my case reading. I am not sure how that will work out after the other eye. Right now I am still seeing up close out of left eye, and able to use glasses, although it is a little strange....

Poor little fur babies, they are so mistreated!!

Kay, Arlie can take lessons from Sassy, she can inhale her food in a second flat....I really don't think she chews!!

I survived yesterday (thank you, fae). Taking care of this pup...she is the strangest I have ever seen. If you call her she doesn't come, she gets on the floor in a submissive position and refuses to walk, gets all weird. Still can't get her to pee, tried walks, pen, going in yard, everything, nope! Only wants Arlie's food. Went through an ordeal to feed the cats. They're terrified of this wild pup so they opted to go outside. Then the neighbor's bully cat comes over and steals their food and terrorizes them. So it's a mixture of getting them to come in laundry room or out on patio and having to watch and move their food/water. Good grief! I feel this is a more than fulltime job! I feel like listing the pup on Facebook! Ha! But can't do that. Hardly slept last night, stupid pup wouldn't leave me alone. Arlie went behind the couch and growled when she came near because he'd had enough. Smart dog. I try to remember the pup misses her master, doesn't know what's going on, isn't used to rules/discipline, so this is quite the adjustment for her too. She doesn't leave you alone. Ever. Not for one second. No space. I like interaction, but this is ridiculous!

That's funny, QMary, that your Corgis are miffed! They like things to be the same.

Kay, I have gotten to where, when I dog sit, with either my daughter's dog, or my friend Dana's pug, I just feed everyone my dog food. Easier on my dogs, and the other dogs don't seem to mind. Too hard if you have to feed everyone different. I think I missed the first part, who does Sammy belong to...your son? The pup is probably a little stressed at being away from home, but they adapt pretty quickly, so maybe things will settle down very soon. Poor Arlie, going to be a long 2 1/2 weeks for him....

Arlie's enjoying her visit, he knows how to handle her...it's me and the cats that aren't faring so well. :) The dog belongs to a neighbor. She's never been taught anything, very unruly and wild. When she landed on my fractured leg last night I probably would have killed her if I could have moved! Am trying to teach her some house manners. Good luck in this short of time, but I'm going to try! I'll discipline her but I also spend lots of time/attention on her as I know she misses her dad and everything is new to her.

Kay, Good luck with the house manners. Managed to feed the dogs myself today, sitting in chair between them and one at a time (Sassy first of course) leaning slightly and getting their bowls on floor without letting head bend down, kept it up. Worked pretty good. I am glad because it is pouring today and I hated for my daughter to have to make a stop on her way to work, she will get wet enough there today with the planes. Going to be fun trying to dry off the dogs after they go out today. Main thing is if I can just sort of squat, and keep head up, I think I am good. Hope your little guest is good for you today Kay. I have no doubt that Arlie can handle it!!

I hope today is better for you, Kay. It is so true that animals have their own schedule and if you don't abide by their schedule you are in for a time of it. I think Benji has me trained in that reguard! Be firm and I'm sure you'll have that little pup trained before your neighbor returns. She may even want to stay with you. :)

Queeniemary, you're doing so well. How nice of your daughter to care for the girls. It is necessary to not bend and I'm glad you're listening to that advice. Keep healing. Anne

I see so much strength, hope, and courage among all of us here. What a wonderful place to come and find new words of fortitude, compassion, understanding, and hope.

I am so grateful for everyone who shares their lives and losses, their joys and victories here. Thank you all. HRHQMary, I am so happy to hear your wonderful healing reports. Kay, I hope the Sammy Dog settles down a bit today and you can rest a little more, that Arlie can eat his own food, and that kitty comes out of hiding. And mostly, I hope your leg is better. Anne, you and Benji have a lovely day and I hope some pool time, getting some soaking and gentle exercise to help relieve the aches from the PT.

It is snowing here in lovely large flakes, and I am off to Butte, Montana, driving a beautiful section of Montana's rare interstate system (not many people, not many interstates) to go meet with the printer and typesetter, then meet my G*dson Jason for lunch between his engineering classes.

Every time one of us here around our fire, one of our Tribe, has a success, heals well, finds something good to share, or stumbles through a rough day with grace and faith, I am renewed with hope that life is going to be all right. I am actually sitting here typing this morning until I finish crying, just because I woke up missing Doug so very much, wishing he were here to play in the snow with me, and longing to have him with me for the drive today, which we used to enjoy and expand to sometimes include side adventures into the mountains along the Divide.

So, even with all I am accepting, the acceptance is not clean and whole: it is just accepting these little pieces, one at a time. Today, I am working on accepting that Doug will never be here to play with me in the snow again. Each season, each day, brings its own new offering of the reality of this loss and this absence. Somehow, we learn to make a life alone, just as we learned to make a life together, and we go on.

Blessings, sorry this is not much about our pets today. But there were two deer beneath the bird feeders earlier, scavenging the tossed seeds that land beneath the hanging feeders. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Sometimes we say we are OK when we really are not. As we move along in our journeys we learn to accept. I think this is what you are saying, fae. Our hurt will always be with us and what we do now is learn to weave our loved ones into our daily lives and go about the business of living.

You have deer out your window and I have to be careful of the coyotes who are here. Our doggies could be in danger so a watchful eye is always necessary.

Anne

Mary, please be careful, I'd hate to see you bite off more than you can chew and then suffer for it. I'm sure your daughter doesn't mind stopping...I wouldn't mind if it was my mom. (((hugs)))

fae, you're getting there, all of you are, bit my bit. I realize I'm further along in this journey than most of you, yet I also realize it's ongoing. Things will seem well for a while and then something hits in my life that brings the loss acutely back...missing him going through all the rest of my journey with me. That will be true for all of us and that part doesn't end. But with it comes a growing assurance and confidence that I can handle anything life throws me...there may be times I doubt that, but yet I'm doing it so it must be true. I feel George's confidence in me bolstering me. He thought I was superwoman, and although I know I'm not, I try not to breathe that too loud, wouldn't want him to hear ME say that! :D

Getting more accustomed to having Sammy here although I'll be glad when things are back to "normal"...including holidays. Such a busy time of year to face with an uncertain truck!

Anne, how far away are the coyotes? That is frightening! I not only lost a cat to a cougar that came into my back yard, but once had a band of coyotes circling around as my son and I were with Lucky (dog)...it was very eerie! He had to carry her while I threw rocks to keep them at bay. Was so glad when we reached home! Keep an eye on little Benji!

Kay, Good luck with the house manners. Managed to feed the dogs myself today, sitting in chair between them and one at a time (Sassy first of course) leaning slightly and getting their bowls on floor without letting head bend down, kept it up. Worked pretty good. I am glad because it is pouring today and I hated for my daughter to have to make a stop on her way to work, she will get wet enough there today with the planes. Going to be fun trying to dry off the dogs after they go out today. Main thing is if I can just sort of squat, and keep head up, I think I am good. Hope your little guest is good for you today Kay. I have no doubt that Arlie can handle it!!

QMary, please do be careful of the bending. I was told it is not just the bending or keeping your head up but the pressure on the diaphragm.....do consider putting their food perhaps on a sheet on the bed if they can jump up there or let someone feed them. And i bet your daughter does not mind getting a bit wet...no chances...they are your eyes...the only set you get. End of sermon. I am glad you are doing so well....wonderful wonderful! Peace, Mary

Oh, Bill's Mary, that makes so much sense.

And, besides HRH Mary, you are doing something that is not wise. Please follow the doc's instructions to the letter, and even to the dots above the is. (sorry, bad pun) You have a lot to gain by patience and following the orders for a few days.

And this is totally the voice of experience speaking on such matters. :glare:^_^

Listen to Mary, and everyone. Do not color outside the lines for a couple more weeks, please, and only then if you must. We want the best possible outcome for you, all of us.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Kay, I must ask: was Lucky in heat? That is the only time I have seen coyotes or wolves approach domestics in the wild, especially if there are humans around. Even though I know they eat domestics sometimes. That must have been scary.

nattering ...

I love the songs of coyotes and wolves, and have a great story about hunting elk and having a visit with some wolves. Doug had wolves often in camps in the Circle. He tried to look calorically valueless and would watch them circling his tent, mostly out of curiosity. And I once played a duet—flute and calling—with a coyote, on a frosty night, as we sat on opposite sides of a stream. :) That was truly magical.

But, yes, if one has domestics, whether cattle, sheep, dogs, cats, anything, one needs to be mindful that a lot of their wariness has been bred out of these animals, and they need help staying safe. Good for you Anne, for keeping watch for Benji. There are lions in our city park. My friend Judy who lives in town never, ever lets her cats go outside because of coyotes and lions.

Here, I have mule and white tail deer, elk, bear, lion, fox, coyote, skunk, raccoon, grouse (not many), but no moose. We had moose in the yard in Alaska.

Okay, time to go have some kitcherie and basmati rice for dinner. :)

Blessings and

*<twinkles>*

fae

Ladies, I do appreciate your concern about my feeding the dogs. My doctor's activities sheet says the following "1. Resume normal activities except when bending over keep your head above your heart for one week." By sitting in a chair, and leaning slightly to the front with head held up, my head is above my heart, and I am able to place their bowls on floor, sometimes with just a little spillage (does not matter to them, they get it all) . I cannot put their food higher, as corgis have such short legs. Sassy has a little longer ones than Faith, and she can actually jump up on the built in bench on the back porch, but Faith cannot, and so would still be an issue for her. I do have a stool downstairs that I will bring up today, if I sit on that I will be closer to floor, with very little leaning. I have also talked to the eye Dr. nurse, and she feels that what I am doing is fine.

I am loving this seeing without glasses. Went to the college play of True West last night with my friend Tom (a really intense play, wonderful) and it was so thrilling to sit in the Lyric and be able to see the action on stage without glasses. It was Tom's 65th birthday yesterday, and I treated him to dinner, then we went to the play. I am thinking, if everything goes well, I will only need reading glasses after the second surgery. I do realize that things can go wrong, and I do greatly appreciate your concern. Believe me, I would not be doing anything that I thought would harm my vision. Probably should have posted this on the vision thread.....but as it does concern my Corgi babies, I guess this is ok. lol