Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am so glad you both see his patience and his regal look. He is indeed the most patient creature I have ever known. I see that and I know our boy can also be a bit stubborn at times....in a humorous and cute way. He will look at me, knowing exactly what I want, and dig himself in...especially if food is involved. But...patience is, indeed, his middle name. I love him so.

Mary

I told Bentley you guys saw him as regal and patient and I apologized to him for calling him stubborn...though it is truly a term of endearment. He is endearing...He looks so cute and sweet and when he is newly groomed. I can hardly take my eyes off of him....nor can I stop hugging him and he just follows me around and when I sit, he sits in front of me and looks deeply into my eyes. I can hardly imagine life without him so I don't. I am so blessed with his presence in my life. I even felt badly after using the word stubborn...ask me if I am hypersensitive these days.

Bentley will celebrate his 9th birthday on Friday, Oct. 4th. I remember the night we brought him home (November something)...like bringing our baby home. Bill had been in the hospital with pneumonia and was released the day before we went to get Bentley. Bill was pretty weak. The night we got him home was a cold, November night and it poured all night. I spent most of the night up with Bentley as Bill was really worn out and needed sleep. I fell asleep finally maybe 4am...Bentley was only content and calm in my arms (or Bill's) so he slept on my heart and shoulder in a chair all night so Bill could get some sleep. He was so tiny. I woke up and Bentley was gone...after my panic, I saw that Bill was also gone. I knew Bill had gentley removed him from my arms and I apprently never budged. It was still dark out, of course, and still pouring and I looked outside and there is Bill with an umbrella over his head waiting for Bentley to pee. Bentley was sitting between Bill's feet...out of the rain. He is smart. So I got them to come inside and if I remember correctly, we all fell asleep in bed. Bentley spent about 30 minutes in a crate that night and cried so hard I could not stand to hear his pain. He never spent another night or day or hour in a crate...I am such a softy. However, Bill was able (in that house) to fence off the kitchen so Bentley had a huge crate at night once he was able to sleep alone...that took a while...can't remember how long. But seeing Bill out in the cold rain, fresh out of the hospital...a night to remember. So like Bill.

I have a nifty candle for his cake...which will be a hamburger that I make...usually we would go to McDonald's on Bentley's birthday but I bought beef to make him a "cake". My friend wanted to know why I did not get a cupcake but I can't bring myself to allow Bentley to ingest an entire cupcake...so beef it is. And he will be delighted....pure chuck.

Thanks for seeing the beauty in our boy. Honestly he is so lovable, cuddly, huggable and yes he clings...you can ask anyone in Spring Green (he is recognized on the streets) or even the tourists. I am so lucky. He is my living link to Bill and I know Bill's tenderness is something Bentley learned from Bill. Now I am crying. Good night, friends and thank you.

Mary

Mary,

Thank you so much.

I just love Bentley. But I have a thing for Goldens. Goofy, lovable, underfoot, loyal, bright, charming, and sometimes regal if not caught in some dilemma.

You know, I really got to know you Mary, and Anne, Jan, and Kay a lot from reading your posts here on this thread, and seeing the loving side of each of you, the part of you that was healing and not in so much grief. All the joy and happiness here, was a loving and bright shift from all our sadness. Of course sometimes there were setbacks for the pups, but by and large, This is a place to celebrate being able to love and feel it pour from our hearts again. Pretty special. :) Some of us had the pups prior to our Beloved leaving.

I have too much traveling to do to get any animals now. I know I must go to China. I am probably going back to Egypt.

I will natter about that all elsewhere...

*<twinkles>*

fae

We met through the pets. :) Sort of.

Yes, our pets are reflections of us. When I get off track...I see it in Bentley. Saturday, I saw myself in him...when he starts carrying bathroom towels out to the living room; bringing me one by one all his toys; and is overall restless...I know he is my mirror trying to tell me to get with the program....I have learned to listen to his wisdom. :)

I hope once your frequent travels subside, there is a Golden (since they are your thing...totally understandable) waiting for you at the end of that road. I hope the trips to China and Egypt are relaxing and not too soon.

Peace

Mary

I can just see Bentley, bringing one toy at a time, hoping one of them will distract you from whatever else is distracting you, and help you to get back into a happier frame of mind, especially a playful one. Dogs are just so smart about reading us. I love Goldens, but my Westie was also a very special person/dog in my life, and so it is a toss-up. We have the Border Collies at the ranch, and they are both wonderful, but when I have brought them home here (after roundup when they are not working time and half) they get antsy in about three days and start looking for things to herd. I get herded. :glare: Border Collies are just such brilliant, Type A dogs, and very focused on keeping order. There is not enough for them to do here. No cows to herd, or horses to chase for fun. (Yes, they do that, and they know how to avoid being kicked, too.) They have huge vocabularies. But, for the near future, I am going to work, replace the funds that went to pay medical bills as much as I can, and see where life takes me.

The trips are both work. But I hope and plan to have enjoyable times both places. I have a few friends in China, lots of friends in Egypt. Typing of work, I'd better get ready for the day.

Mary, please do rest those lovely, caring eyes.

Much Love and

*<twinkles>*

fae

Yes, Bentley is a barometer, fae. I know if I see a bathroom hand towel which he has removed from the bathroom sink and carried onto his bed...that I need to pay attention. Also when he starts bringing me his toys one by one. It says I am pre-occupied..i.e. not present and when I am not present...I am not centered.

I think someday down the road...an autobiography is in order. Your life sounds fascinating. People tell me mine has been but I truly can not hold a candle to what I pick up about your history.

It sounds like you are taking one day at at time...YES!

I love to read your nattering about dogs...to me, dogs are the joy in life!

I am trying to get a fire going...it is cold in here! We had record rains for Sept., well over six inches.

Sun would help...all this rain has to be getting to you. It was 82 here today but rain is coming and we need it. Colors are awesome. It is a glorious fall weather wise and I wish I could share it with you. Mary

It poured rain all the way down and all the way back from getting my car yesterday, but even so, I enjoyed the colors on the drive. (It is hard to enjoy the drive to/from work lately.)

I think I should teach Bentley to do this since he is half way there when he brings me his toys. I have to pick up toys every night so I don't kill myself on them in the night. :) This dog looks just like Bentley.

What a good boy! Arlie doesn't put his away either. :)

Bentley celebrated his 9th birthday last Friday and I discovered that I forgot to give him his "cake" that I made for him...a hamburger. He got it a few days late and did not seem to mind. This video brought back memories not only of him in his first weeks because it looks exactly like he looked 9 years ago... but it also brings up memories of Bill who adored this puppy.

I tried to watch the video but it stopped responding. The puppy looks just like my old golden retriever, Teddy, when he was a pup. So adorable! I'm glad Bentley enjoyed his hamburger.

I tried to watch the video but it stopped responding. The puppy looks just like my old golden retriever, Teddy, when he was a pup. So adorable! I'm glad Bentley enjoyed his hamburger.

My guess is that it was buffering. You mentioned elsewhere that you have slow internet and that is what happens when it is a slow hook up. It is a cute video of this pup. Bentley did enjoy his burger....He is now 9. Hard to believe.

A bleated Happy Hamburger Day to Bentley!

My email notification had a longer post....must have gotten moved or deleted. I am glad you are enjoying your guests and being able to talk about Doug....

Are you thinking of a puppy or an older dog, Anne? I bet Benji would have a great time with a dog. I sometimes wished I had gotten two dogs when I got Bentley. Let us know where this idea goes :) Lots of my friends have two dogs and I do not see it as much more work, just doubles the expense with vets and food, etc.

Mary, you are right, double the expenses, but as far as taking care of them, not much more trouble than one. I love having my two corgi girls, and am dreading the time when I will not have them. They are nearly 10, I could still have them possibly 5 more years, and even longer, since they are in good health, and housedogs. They certainly give my life structure.... :wacko: Very cute video.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I agree, Mary. A dog gives life structure...My friend just lost one of her two dogs and it was difficult, to put it mildly, on her and on the other dog. She is getting a new dog sooner than she normally would for the sake of her other dog. Like you, I dread the day Bentley and I must say good-bye to each other. I can hardly bare to let the thought into my awareness. It feels like losing another partner in so many ways...as we share each day, have our routines, our cuddle time, etc. I know losing him won't be nearly like or even close to the pain of losing Bill, of course, but with Bill gone, it will be even harder to lose Bentley. But I tip toe into that space and then back off...and enjoy him. I do not want to live in denial that it will happen so my tip toeing might help...I hope. Bentley is in good health at 9 and the life span is 12-14. Our last Golden was 14 when he died...I am hoping to get lucky and go for 15....but as I see him sleeping more and more...well...who knows. I am here today and so is he and it is time to get him out for his morning walk. :)

If I had a fenced yard (or a dog that minds), I'd have two dogs, so they could play with each other. Arlie loves it when my son's dogs come to visit!

Bentley is friendly with all dogs but he smells them and walks to the owner to lean on and get petted by a human. I think two dogs would not result in him interacting much at all. I think it is a Golden thing...they like people more than dogs. I have had him in day care situations and he smells all the dogs and goes to the one running the day care and stays at their side. Oh, well.

Here is our not so little "Tatum" laying in the grass outside the cabin enjoying her favorite pastime, chewing on limbs. The most ferocious thing about her is the intensity of her slobbery kisses. She is afraid of the dark in the forest & all the animal sounds, much less the sight of them. She's about 10 mo. old. I wonder how much bigger she will get.

Thank you, Anne, for your help.

Karen

post-16449-0-01283000-1381459849_thumb.j

Karen, I love the stick...10 months old and a huge stick. I wonder also, how big she will get. What fun to watch a puppy grow and change. Mary