Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

My kids' dad used to have chains for his boots, what I wouldn't give for a pair of those! It's been so slippery out when I walk Arlie, I have to keep reminding him to go slow and don't pull, he's been real good, I just worry he'll forget. I know what damage a fall can do, I hope you're real careful HRH QMary! I know you must be disappointed in the postponement, we get psyched up for it and then you feel like you have to re-psyche all over again! It'll happen when the roads are better, and I'm glad you'll consider postponing the show if you must. My church/community didn't postpone anything so most of us just missed it all. :( Oh well, at least I'm home safe. I'm feeling a little housebound and lonely, thank God I have all you and people I can talk on the phone with. Days like today I really wish George were here. Funny, we never stop wishing that...

I've been protective, keeping my animals in, it's just too cold for them to spend any length of time out there, five min. is about right for them to do their business and sniff around!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kay, somewhere I have some type of cleats that Mike used to use on his shoes for ice....may have to try to find them. I am very grateful today that I do not have to try to get to the eye surgery center. They are saying the roads are still very slick, and staying in my warm house, with hot coffee in my cup is far better. We are having a Sound of Music rehearsal tonight, and my friend Tom is going to come and pick me up for it. It will be good to get out of the house. The weather is supposed to warm up, so unless something really unexpected happens, Sound of Music will happen this coming weekend. May be that the postponement of the eye surgery was meant to be, as that means I will be able to work backstage with my friends. Kay I have also been feeling housebound, but have had friends who managed to make it here to see me. My friend Tom came yesterday, then my daughter and family decided to brave the roads....we all did some wii bowling, and had tomato bisque and toasted cheese sandwiches, enjoyed the day.

Everyone stay warm and safe

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

My DIL's "cocoa" (like a ladies tea only cocoa) was changed from today to Thursday and I was glad because better weather was predicted, she really wants me to come and spend the night (2 1/2 hours away), but now they're predicting freezing rain then. I have to play it by ear, day by day, as anything can change. It'd be wonderful to get out but I don't want to risk my safety! And esp. since Arlie would be with me.

Bought Arlie a coat today...some of you saw this on FB but I'll post it for those who aren't on there. Will have to change the neck, it's too big around so it slips down, am thinking of taking the buckle-straps off and replacing with elastic, much quicker to get on him and will fit better.post-914-0-83541800-1386742861_thumb.jpg

Yeah, Mary has one of Bentley in his yellow raincoat, so cute!

I, too, love that purple and royal jacket. And he has his very own chair... :)

Here is the shot of Bentley in his raincoat which is a tad too small but the biggest they had and it has ugly reflective tape on it...which he does not need. I have to get boots and a winter coat for him as he started limping on our walk today...snow in his toes.

post-14525-0-33069000-1386780365_thumb.j

Kay, I am so sorry you are having such water/leaks/plumbing problems. So much more difficult when our men are not here and also now we have to wait for help as, in my books, some of these things are just beyond my willingness to learn e.g. certain leak fixing.

Peace,

Mary

I understand how to do it theoretically, but physically am not strong enough in my hands/wrists for tightening it as I should. :( Still takes a man's touch, bummer!

Am glad you're getting boots for Bentley, I'd feel better if Arlie wore some but am afraid that's be pushing the envelope. I had to chase him around the house to get his coat on him!

I understand, Kay. I have a light bulb burned out in my garage...very high ceiling...demands a tall ladder but I won't use that unless someone is holding it. So, I will have to pay someone to move that fixture so I can easily change a light bulb....nothing is simple :)

I'm the same way about climbing, won't do it with my Neuropathy...which, BTW, is much better since my job ended. Perhaps stress contributed?

So funny...this morning I altered the neck on Arlie's coat, then took him for a walk in it. I told him now he has a coat like Mommy and he looks so pretty! I swear he puffed out his chest and looked like the cock of the walk as he strutted down the street, wagging his tail! Too funny! I swear they know more than we think they do!

I truly never thought I would see the day when I brush a dog's teeth BUT now I do. It took a bit for Bentley to get used to it. I was told to just let him smell and taste the brush first; then add the toothpaste after a few days ONLY dog approved toothpaste as the ingredients in human's toothpaste is dangerous to dogs. Now he likes it...loves the chicken flavored toothpaste. He also gets his teeth cleaned every two years. I would do it more often as my vet recommends but I do not like to subject him to anesthesia and with brushing, I can prevent that. Here is more information.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_4/features/Maintaining-Canine-Dental-Health_20501-1.html?s=FB121213

I truly never thought I would see the day when I brush a dog's teeth BUT now I do. It took a bit for Bentley to get used to it. I was told to just let him smell and taste the brush first; then add the toothpaste after a few days ONLY dog approved toothpaste as the ingredients in human's toothpaste is dangerous to dogs. Now he likes it...loves the chicken flavored toothpaste. He also gets his teeth cleaned every two years. I would do it more often as my vet recommends but I do not like to subject him to anesthesia and with brushing, I can prevent that. Here is more information.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_4/features/Maintaining-Canine-Dental-Health_20501-1.html?s=FB121213

From what I gather you're supposed to do it regularly. I don't. :) But he gets his share of milkbones and rawhides and his teeth seem to be fine, so a once in a great while thing I figure is enough.

Weird isn't it?

Yes, it still seems weird to brush a dog's teeth...but if it will extend his life and quality of life...and I believe it will....brush I will and I am not as regular as I believe I need to be but doing pretty well. And yes, the dry treats do help, I believe.

Mary

I doubt we could get Tatum to stand still long enough to brush her teeth. Her main speed is "run". LOL I do think I'll get her some Milkbones for Christmas.

I will try & get a current picture, too. Robert said yesterday that she won't stop growing. He is 6" tall & when she stands, her paws are on his shoulders. Maybe we missed the "Great Dane" part of her. LOL

Karen

I keep forgetting to ask my vet how big of a deal this is........and just missed a chance when I picked up heartworm pills :angry: Maybe I'll just call.

PS speaking of those pills, I suggest "Iverheart Max" over Heartguard - they cost less (at least here) and give broader protection.

I also use Iverheart....

Does your vet have a website where you can email a question?

Mary

I had what would have been the perfect "Kodak Moment" today, but alas, no camera was ready. I dropped off some things at my son's house today & as I was hugging him goodbye, Tatum decided to make it a "group hug". I am 5' tall & my grandson is 6" tall. As I was on tiptoes hugging him, she came up behind me & stood with her paws on his shoulders enveloping me. It was a real hoot. I think she's buttering me up for Christmas treats.

Karen

I have a great image of this group hug. Our Bentley would get between Bill and me when we hugged...and in fact, if someone else hugs me, he does the same. The sense i get is he just wants to be part of the circle. Dogs are great. Thanks for sharing that great image.

Mary

Arlie likes his group hugs too. :)

:wub:

The cutest little puppies. And I loved the animals needing hugs. We animals. :)

{{{HUGS}}} this beautiful Solstice night. I have been out praying in the Kiva.

I send you all very best wishes for the beginning of what was once the New Year. :) Well, it still is, really. :)

Namaste,

fae

Those puppies are so cute! Did you get your welsh corgi when a puppy?

fae, do you have a picture of your kiva? I like to visualize things in my head.