Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

He is by far the most patient being I have ever met. I could report dozens of instances of his patience...and loving ways. I am so lucky and blessed to share my life with him. Thanks, Marty.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the one in the plaid, what a sweet, sweet dog!

Sweet, he is Kay. Last night I was having a bad moment (well, 20 minutes) and he came running and just stood in front of me looking deeply into my soul. Of course, I wrapped my arms around him and he responded with what might be equal to a cat's purr....sort of low guttural noises he makes when that happens.

The plaid is the reverse of the green. The green side is waterproof and the plaid is fleece. He does not mind the jackets but the boots went back to Cabela yesterday....not sure I will ever get boots on him.

My granddoggy, Skye, had custom shoes made for him because of his medical condition...his paws would turn under and drag and he'd bloody them if not for the shoes. I doubt I could get Arlie to wear shoes and keep them on, fortunately Skye was pretty easy going and didn't care if snuff went to a dollar a dip. :)

Arlie's coat is waterproof too as well as keeps him warm...I just wish it went up around his neck better, they made it for a dog with a huge neck and I adjusted it all that I could but it's still too big. Not the greatest fit, but unless you have one custom made...a certain size does NOT fit all breeds!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/16/dogs-in-boots-for-first-time_n_3934121.html

I can't transfer the one I posted on Facebook but here is a similar one. Pretty much what Bentley looks like in his but I sent them back as they would not bend at his ankles. New pair on the way.

Those are so cute! Skye's looked kind of like red tennis shoes.

Anne, I love our animal family also. I have to tell you all how my silly corgi girls got their comeuppance last night. We had an impromptu movie and "beggers buffet" at my house last night, everyone just brought what they had on hand and we shared. It was great fun. My friend Tom brought his daughter and 2 year old granddaughter who were up visiting from Conway for the weekend. Lelia is a sweet girl, and was in many plays with us before she went away to college, and then married. Annelle, the baby is so cute, and loves dogs. They have several in their home. She chased my girls around all night. They would run from her. They are not used to active 2 year olds!! so fun to watch. They were good, did not growl or snap at her, just ran. My dogs are used to being the center of attention, do not think they appreciated the limelight being taken away. I think they were happy when Lelia and Annelle left (before movie, Lelia said no one would enjoy movie if Annelle were there...lol). Anyway, had a great evening with friends....not sure they had not gotten together before hand and decided I needed company last night. I had a call from one first, then a text from another, then a call from yet another, all with similar themes....thinking we needed to all get together....hummmmm a little suspicious, but a really good time. I have lovely friends.(two of the friends were at my house to help my daughter before Mike's body was removed, and another of the friends helped with Sheba, our rescue crippled big black dog who had to be put down the day after Mike died, he came to house with vet and he and another friend talked to Sheba and held her while vet put her to sleep.)As I said, I have lovely friends, who loved Mike also.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

QMary, what a fun evening..well, maybe not so much for the furbabies. It does sound like your friends were up to supporting you. When I look back, I do not know how I would have weathered these years without my friends and I am so glad you are so well insulated with them.

It sounds like you had a wonderful evening with friends and your “beggers buffet” Mary. I have not heard that term before but it is somewhat like our bringing a dish and sharing it while watching a movie or just getting together. Your Sassy and Faith sound like my Benji when small children are around. He runs away also but then creeps back only to run again. I think it is a game with them.

Anne

It was wonderful Anne, and I think my friend Joe just made up the term "beggers buffet" The idea was to not go buy anything, but bring stuff we had on hand. Another note, today games with daughter and family, and looks like tonight a "Golden Globes" party. Friend Joe texted to see if I had any plans to watch the globes....said I did not, but would they like to come in and watch them with me....think Jamie is coming also. So, probably not a food night, just cheese and vegys and dip, with drinks, and watch "Golden Globes" with friends. Probably would not watch them alone, so will enjoy the company. My friends are so great. Without them, and the friends on this site, I could not manage. My friend Joe and his partner Steve have celebrated 15 years together in December. Joe, however, knows about losing your partner. He was in a long term relationship before Steve, and his Jim died. He says he was a real mess for awhile, and still misses him, so he truly is a friend that understands. Joe is very cosmopolitan, very, and Steve is very country, very, and yet they work so well together. Steve has goats, and is very into showing them, etc. Joe could care less, but he supports Steve in this, and helps feed, water, etc. During our really cold temps, he may have been rethinking that however. lol. Joe loves cats, and has several. They had a sweet little dog, who died in the fall. Joe is employed by FedEx, not sure all he does, but one thing is he travels to colleges to recruit.

These friends are determined I will be surrounded and I love them for it.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

It sounds like a very fun night, you have great friends! Glad your dogs survived it...

Joy Cardin is a local and is on WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio). This show is on dog behavior and might be of interest to the dog "owners" among us.

http://www.wpr.org/listen/406776

OMG, how adorable!

2:10 AM Tuesday

This will be very brief. Our Benji had more seizures Sunday night and his little heart took a beating. After hours of watching and waiting Benji is no longer with me.

My heart is broken. My heart is just broken. Leaving him tonight has just broken my heart. I do not want to say anymore right now but wanted my online family to know that Benji no longer runs around the house nudging my leg with a toy in his month letting me know that he wants to play. Or telling me almost exactly to the minute that it is treat time. Or getting so excited when it’s walk or car time that you’d swear he understood English! The house is very quiet right now.

Why, why now? Everything I love is taken away from me. I don’t know what I’m fighting for anymore. Can we love an animal this much in such a short time (I adopted Benji only one year ago on January 16th 2013)? My heart is totally broken? Why did he come into my life only to be gone in such a short time? I did not know I had any more tears left in my body. Nothing can console me. Life just sucks. What have I done to have such sorrow fill my very being? Now what is left for me? Who will rap their arms around me and just be with me in this pain? My house is very quiet now.

Anne

post-15704-0-91703300-1390296695_thumb.j

Dearest Anne,

I am sending love and {{{hugs}}} to you this early morning. I am devastated that you are enduring yet another loss, and this time of our dear Benji, so loved by us all.

This is not a time for you to be alone.

You have my telephone number, and I will be here today.

My heart is with you, dear Anne.

I don't have answers to your questions, and I wish I did.

I am just so very sorry.

Much Love and many hugs and

*<twinkles>*

fae

My dear Anne,

I just awoke to this news and I can't tell you how sorry I am. I know what Benji means to you and all this loss is just so huge. I am just so very sorry.

With my love

Mary

Oh Anne, I am sorry beyond words. I know what Benji means to you. I felt the same feelings and asked the same questions when Chappy was taken from me. I only had him between one and two years, I'd felt God gave him to me to help with my loss of George, only to be taken from me. It is hard. I know no answers. I know we have no guarantee how long our pets will live and when the loss hits, it's devastating. They become like children and companions, entertainers, everything to us.

One of the things that came to my mind was "Why, WHY did Anne have to get a dog that had physical problems?! Hasn't she had enough!" And yet I know you wouldn't have had it any other way...would not have undone any minute of being Benji's mom, not one day spent with him, of having him in your life. I dread the day I will lose Arlie, and yet in the back of my mind, I know it will come someday. It will hit hard. It's not whether we have our husband or our dog in our life a short while or a long time, it's the quality of the relationship that makes the loss so danged hard! And the price we pay for loving is this dreadful pain at the end. I wish I could ease that pain for you.

I wish I were there to physically wrap my arms around you. Call me if you want to talk.

Love,

Kay

Oh Anne,

I'm just so terribly sorry. I know Benji was such a friend & companion to you. When we lost our Mickey a few years ago, I was constantly looking behind me for him as he always followed me from room to room. I wasn't even able to go to the bathroom without a big black dog at my feet.

Benji was here for you to love & nourish, just as you were for him. As with anything in life, I guess, we don't get to choose how long we are allowed to love each other.

I can certainly be there in a couple of hours if you want a friend by your side.

Love,

Karen