Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Well, I went into the library to pick up my next set of "driving to Chicago audio CDs", mindless novels as I get distracted by...uh...driving :)

The gal in charge of the READ program (Reading Education Assistance Dog) program all but begged me to get Bentley certified for it. He is already there as far as his tests are concerned, I think. I also think I do not have to have him groomed every time I go there...if I do...I will NOT do it and the librarian basically said in so many words as long as he and I are certified...she is ok with that. Sooooooo since i have thought about it and would like Bentley to have a job this is good. It is 3 blocks away, it is one on one...i.e. one child who reads to the dog while they pet the dog. Bentley sits in on my therapy sessions now and behaves and mostly is not petted all through those so I think he is a candidate...so I am sending for the info and will see the details. She said she has a list a mile long and not enough teams. She assumed I would say no because everyone does but was excited when I told her i taught for 14 years and was a therapist/director with emotionally disturbed (hate that word) and behavior disordered (hate that too) kids in residence for 8 years....she got more excited and then she connected with me and I with her so I think it is a go IF I do not have a billion rules and weekly grooming. I think she hangs loose on the rules and i do not care about the insurance coverage because Bentley would not hurt a flea...well he might eat a flea...I saw him catch a fly once and eat it. Yuck! One never knows where the day will go.

Off to the kennel...I HATE this part...so hard to leave him there.

Mary

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mary,

Your story is "purrfect". My old cat is really Ron's buddy. When he was hospitalized at Christmas, I bought a metal cat sign for him which hangs on his gun safe. It says "A cat knows all about you, but loves you anyway". My favorite and one so true is the one on my fridge that says "In this house, cat hair is a condiment". LOL

Karen

Thanks, Karen and Marty,

I think Bentley's registration as a therapy dog means he is qualified. I have to take an online test after reading a $60 manual :P

So I will pursue this and see where it leads. I know he will love being petted. The kids come into a room with glass walls off to the side so it is just the child, Bentley and me in the room but the glass allows supervision, I am told but not distraction. I have not sat with a young child for a long long long time but I loved doing therapy with seriously hurting and frightened kids (better words than emotionally disturbed) and did it well a long time ago. Once I left residential work I did not work with kids anymore because dealing with the parents was more than I chose to handle. I did strictly adult therapy...so we shall see not how Bentley does but how Mary does. :wacko:

You know Mary,

*<twinkles>*

May I be so bold?

As I've been told,

When we do our part,

Listen to our Heart,

The maps unfold

To Gifts of Gold

If we but make a start.

(I just made that up for you, and my excuse is having had a small diet Pepsi, which I drink maybe twice a year (anything of the pop line) and it had caffeine, so you are being punished with horrid poetry. )

Or, as my Dad used to say whenever I said I wanted to do or be something or someone, "Juts pick up the shovel." Being his reference to the old adage, "If you want to move a mountain, pick up the shovel."

I think you and Bentley may have found a home, near home, while you stay home, to heal, rest, fill yourself with loving energy, and just play.

Brava! Yet another brilliant encore from the Song of our own Mary. *<twinkles>*

All these brilliant, self-caring decisions you are making are leading you right where you are supposed to go, of course. You already know that, of course. You are very good at this.

Dear Mary,

Have a happy drive, a good report, a celebration from room service, and a lovely drive home, where you and Bentley will begin a new adventure. What better place, I ask, than at a Library? (As a child, one of my dreams was to live in the library. Now I have a nice one, but it is packed for a while yet.)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you, fae. I love your poem...especially the love that you used to wrap the gift.

I emailed the local group on this venture -an affiliate of the national Pet Partners. She reminded me of insurance, mentoring, their classes....argh! So I went to the horse...i.e. the group that certifies READ teams and asked if I need to belong to any group beyond Pet Partners...am waiting for an answer. If I do, I need to find a different group even if it means driving further. Nothing, nothing nothing is simple. The librarians hands are tied as we must be certified but I suspect I do not need this local affiliate...

Bentley is at the kennel and his mom misses him big time. Silent house became more silent.

Oh, I can just imagine the silence. Maybe you can teach Bentley to use a cell phone and get one for him. :) I always wonder when that will happen. I am sure soon.

I hope there is a simpler way for you and Bentley to be involved. We live with so much of a fear-based culture, but I think hope is winning. *<twinkles>*

fae

One kennel too far from here has cameras installed and you can watch your dog via the web. I am not sure if you can speak to them...it might confuse them.

I think the gal at our local library may tell me it is ok not to belong to this group. The group leader said she forwarded my info to the READ dog rep who will contact me and that some libraries will ONLY accept teams approved by the local affiliate. Something so simple can get so complicated. Soon I will just give up this quest or do my own dance...my usual style. I am not a joiner but I don't mind belonging on paper. :)

I need to water the garden and pack but here i sit. Best water before dark.

Weird how much more silent the house is tonight when the only change since last night is the absence of Bentley, a dog that would be sound asleep and silent a few feet from where i am sitting...

But even sleeping, Bentley's' energy would be dancing all around you, criss-crossing back and forth from your heart to his. The lines are longer now to reach each other's love, but I think it can be done, don't you think so?

I am sure you are sending Bentley love right now, and if we were monitoring him, we would see a shift. :) Love is so cool as an energy form.

Well, things are all spiffied up, a goat is bleating in the background, and closer to home, chickadees are calling. I go to read the Robinsons. Finally.

:)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Ironically his kennel is less than a block away....so the energy does not have to travel too far.

Enjoy your book...finally :)

I know you are missing Bentley right now. Your idea sounds great for using him as a therapy dog, and you wouldn't even have to travel far! Arlie could never be a therapy dog except for me...but my son did say yesterday that he's the most fun dog he's ever met. :)

Bentley is home with a mouthful of clean teeth. Alan, vet, said his teeth are in good shape and his gums. His bloodwork was normal with one tiny exception that is not significant enough to even do follow up on. I came home with a new toothbrush and the stuff they suggest I put on the outside of his teeth (where they meet the gums) once a week and brush his teeth (daily would be ideal) but I know it won't happen daily. I will shoot for a few times a week. He loves the toothpaste as it tastes like chicken. His teeth are coated to prevent plaque build up.

Next Friday- the groomer...he is the worst I have seen him as I missed a grooming due to my eye stuff. I will take his picture after grooming and post it. :)

Mary, do they knock him out to work on his teeth? I can't imagine Arlie cooperating...

Yes, they do blood work up and run a tube down his throat and give him oxygen and a light sedative. The last time he was not groggy in the evening but he will be 9 soon and those two years make a difference. They also use a different drug now, lighter, but perhaps that difference made him respond differently. I am not worried. She said he might not feel great tonight but i am confident he will be ok in the morning. Today when I let him out to the yard, a rabbit was sitting there. He watched it from inside. I rattled the door so the rabbit would run...it was 8 feet away...and get a head start before Bentley tore after him. He tore.... Tomorrow is a new day.

I think the vets would be able to manage Arlie but then I never met Arlie :) I postpone it as long as I can but ultimately within 20 months, I get those teeth cleaned. Last time they pulled two cracked teeth. This time...all was well.

There is a disease hitting dogs in Ohio and this vet is reliable regarding information about it.

http://speakingforspot.com/blog/2013/09/22/canine-circovirus-our-current-knowledge/

Well, Bentley missed his grooming last month and was a royal mess...but yesterday his groomer performed another miracle.

post-14525-0-90301000-1380423093_thumb.j Finished and wants down....

post-14525-0-35366200-1380423110_thumb.j Tired

post-14525-0-29638000-1380423127_thumb.j This is his stubborn look...no more pictures, Mom.

Love your Bentley, Mary. So wise and gentle. . .

Benji had a haircut on Friday also. I can't seem to get his pretty brown eyes but this is his stance and his sweet look. And remember my little Tasmanian devil when I first adopted him?

post-15704-0-63104000-1380423649_thumb.j

post-15704-0-47921800-1380423900_thumb.j

I do laugh out loud with the tasmanian devil and I know you have a special vision because you brought him home looking like that. Now that is being able to see potential. The other one...post grooming...shows me his playful, energetic self. Nice shots, Anne.

What gorgeous dogs and so different! My Kelbi has had a hard week as I haven't been out since last Sunday. I've been suffering a very severe bout of ibs. I'm sure it's been caused by stress and grief. I'm still not well and it's meant that poor Kelbi hasn't had her two daily walks. She is such a lively dog and although I've sat in the garden with her it's not enough. I'm still feeling very rough and have realised the close connection between mind and body in a way I didn't appreciate until now. I'm meditating and trying to get back to some equilibrium but I have a long way to go. Because it's related to my state of mind it's difficult to sort out as my state of mind is bad. But thanks to support from some of you (you know) I've been helped. I suppose we must expect these big setbacks. England is experiencing the best summer and autumn for many many years. I keep thinking how much my Pete would have loved it. Oh well, onward and upward Jan.

I agree, Jan. Benji is just the most lovable and cute critter and so is Bentley. I hope your IBS subsides and that you feel well enough to walk your Kelbi and yourself today.

Peace

Mary

Jan, Mary, Anne,

I think you all have wonderful fur family members, and no matter their hair styles or sizes, they are all just a loving and delightful as their "pack" who have fingers to type. Thank you so much for sharing photos. I have a couple of cards (from Kay) for dog friends, and I know just who is going to get them, too. :)

*<twinkles>*
fae

post-14525-0-49529800-1380470588_thumb.j

fae, this is for you...the first 9 weeks of Bentley's life. he joined us at home at week 7.5.

Your pictures are adorable! Arlie says Bentley looks regal, not stubborn. :) Anne, Benji's haircuts do him wonders, does he notice a difference?

He does, indeed, look regal, Kay and I also know that stubborn look he gets...so cute. We had just gotten home from the groomer and I know he wanted to take a nap....

Mary