Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Update from Houston

Wasn't sure where to post this but wanted everyone to know I am safe and sound here in Houston, but it is really bad in so many areas.  Right now waiting to see what Harvey is going to do the next few days.  My house did not get any water in it, but neighborhood is surrounded with flooded streets.  The area where I work was hit really hard.  No news choppers can get up to show the devastation, but the news is showing enough to see how very horrible this all has been.  I am doing what is advised and hunkering down at home with the dogs.  

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Hi Maryann ~ I moved your post to this forum because members here have been asking about you. Thank you so much for letting us know that you and your fur babies are safe and sound. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, and with everyone else affected by this devastating storm. 

• Like 5

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I am safe and dry, although rain has begun again and a little more windy. So many of my colleagues are having hard times and evacuating, I feel so much for them. I know Mark would be proud that I am keeping my cool and being strong. My fur babes are my priority, and they are keeping close. Just have to hunker down a couple more days.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Froggie4635 said:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I am safe and dry, although rain has begun again and a little more windy. So many of my colleagues are having hard times and evacuating, I feel so much for them. I know Mark would be proud that I am keeping my cool and being strong. My fur babes are my priority, and they are keeping close. Just have to hunker down a couple more days.

You got this! Mark is right there by your side helping you through this.

• Like 1

Kevin,

Yes, I am very lucky and have been able to stay safe and dry with electricity.  My heart hurts though for so many of the others I know and those I don't know who may be in dire straits and away from their homes.  It has been raining all day, but no where near what it was the other night.  Looks like we will still be watching until some time on Wednesday.  My fur babes stick close to me and I stay calm for them.  Been in contact with family and co-workers throughout.  Am ready for Harvey to catch the first flight out of Houston...except the airports are CLosED.....lol.  Thanks for all your care and concern.  

• Like 4

Maryann, glad you are safe.  We have lots of flooding in north Louisiana, but nothing like Harvey and Katrina.  Still, some of my friends had to evacuate around the lake below our town.  They are just now getting back straight.  Please be careful.  

Maryann,

I'm glad you're safe and dry with your dogs.  I've never heard of so much rain!  Guess I can't complain about Oregon.  My heartfelt prayers go with everyone going through this.  I hope you have plenty of food to last you.

• Like 1

Rain has subsided...but so many areas are being overrun with water from rivers overflowing and dams breaching.  Going to have to take a break from all the reports soon because the need for help is everywhere.  There were reports of looting in some stores around my area, so I am not brave enough to venture out right now.  I took one more step today...to avoid getting stir crazy.  I finally cleaned the shower that Mark used...haven't really touched it since he died.  I am going to have a lot of time on my hands the next few days until I know it is safe to leave.  Tomorrow morning I am making myself promise to sit and write upon rising; before I turn on any news.  I am going to escape a little this afternoon by watching "Grey's Anatomy" for a few hours. I feel blessed that I am safe.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I finally ventured out...needed food for my babies.  Wasn't sure if my usual store was open, so went to one I know was open, near my mother in law.  Waited a little until it opened and guess who showed up...my MIL.  When I got out of the car, my knees felt shaky.  I think I am just now feeling the release of the anxiety from the last 4 days.  I have become such a creature of habit and routine. Has been how I have dealt with things since Mark died.  I feel the urge to go and help others, but financially it is rough and my back is still hurting from the car accident and not sure how long I could stand or what I could lift.  Makes you feel helpless at times to see so much hurt.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MarryAnn, sounds like things are slowly improving in your area.....don't venyure anywhere in darkness....Furry ones OK?.....Looks like another 48 hours before Harvey Passes....Saw alligators in someones  back yard....Can't believe the Charity, Selfishness, and out and out Coming together of people.......I believe this is the Majority  of America as opposed to silly riots we are shown on TV.....stay save kevin 

• Like 2

Maryann,

I'm glad you're safe and got your dogs some food.  It must have felt emotional to see someone you love, I would think it would all just rise to the surface.  Let people who are strong and able do the helping right now, you have to take care of yourself, you're still healing.  Like Kevin, I also saw the alligator in someone's yard, there are snakes too.  Dr. Oz was saying there is cholera, e-coli, and more in the water so if a person even has a paper cut it can enter their body, best to avoid it.

Saw some pictures from where I work...8 feet of water on the bottom floor.  So many of those I work closely with have had flooding in their home; one is going to move away and not try and rebuild.  Mark's family is at various locations and a few are worried about flooding from one of the rivers.  I've stopped watching any of the news stories about the evacuees; it just hurts my heart too much right now and is overwhelming.  I relied so much in my "normal" schedule to help keep me in a positive frame of mind.  I miss the daily interaction with my friends and colleagues.  I know there are so many people who are going through so much worse than I am. and I still feel blessed I was kept safe.  I knew there was a reason why we chose this house when we walked through the door that first time.  I continue to work in the house and take advantage of this time off.  Looking at the weather forecast, seems to be some cooler fall weather coming next weekend.  Also looking at another possible tropical disturbance.  I continue to stay in touch with friends and colleagues, to try and keep their spirits up.

• Like 1

We had a brief respite for two days and are heading back into the nineties and more smoke...we have fires in every direction so no matter which way the wind blows, we get it.  We reached one step under hazardous (hazardous means evacuation).  They're saying we'll have this until mid October.  With allergies and athsma it's hard to breathe outside.  I have no A/C so I have to cool down by opening windows at night, it's giving my air filtration systems a real workout.

Whatever I'm going through pales in comparison to what those in Houston are experiencing.  I'm wondering what this means for your job, are you able to do any of your job from home in the interim?  Once this quits and begins to recede they'll have to pump water out of the buildings and do repairs but with this being so widespread it could take a while.  I hope you're okay financially in the meanwhile.  I can understand those wanting to relocate if they have nothing left there.  I heard on the news that this could be a financial boon once reparation is underway, contractors will be working day and night.

Had a conference call with all the staff at the JCC.  Water damaged the electric and air conditioning systems.  There was 12 - 15 feet of water entered the lower level.  We were reassured that we will not lose our jobs, and will continue to get paid.  They could not even begin to give us a possible date where staff could be in the building.  I tried to go to Target and purchase some items to donate to the clean up that needs done for staff, members and the community.  I drove down a street not far from the JCC, and saw so much of the devastation people are dealing with...stuff that had to be pulled from their homes.  The traffic lights were flashing, and I was nervous so I just picked up some items at Target and came back home.  We are all in contact, as a family would be, and are supporting each other in whatever way we can.  I took a complete break from all the news today...I needed it.

• Like 2

Maryanne it must be incredibly stressful trying to manage with everything going on around you.  I would not have a clue of how to deal with such a massively destructive situation.

I have a cousin in Waller TX.  She doesn't reply to messanger and nothing is posted on her Facebook so I just hope she and her husband are safe.  They have dogs and horses and I worry about them even more.  Some of the posts about what is happening with pets and livestock are more than I can barely.  I think some information is intended to shock the reader and may not even be credible, I sure hope much of it is incorrect.

Take care.  I will be praying for everyone who is affected by Harvey.  How did the name come about?  I'm just curious, I know nothing about hurricanes. 👼

• Like 1

Hurricanes and the names, the names are selected 2-3 years in advance by the US National Weather Department....Appears(from Observation), they alternate each storms name by Gender(boy/Girl)...This year was Arlene first storm, Brent the second....after Harvey is Irma...Take care

• Upvote 1