Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I hate cooking for only one person. Really does not seem worth the bother. However, I am tired of frozen dinners and I can't affort to eat out very often. How are the rest of you dealing with this problem. Any suggestions for healthy, quick easy meals for one person?

thanks

Hi Redwind,

I know what you mean about frozen dinners etc. I find that the Steamers are quite good as well as a few of the Lean Cuisine aren't bad. I'm trying to get into a habit of making up enough salad for a couple meals, then adding tuna or sliced ham or chicken breast for protein. Another thing I keep in the fridge is hard boiled eggs

cut up veggies and fruit made into a salad.

I also love chicken breasts, so will cook a couple extra and make a stir fry or fried rice with them.

My family comes for Sunday supper quite often, that gives me a couple of meals to freeze, or if I go to their house they usually send a care package home with me.

I think there are cook books that have recipes for one.. but like you said.. who wants to bother!

I hope some of my ideas help you.

Hugs,

Lainey

I have never much enjoyed cooking and now dislike it. However, my daughter needs to eat, so I am cooking for 2 (feel sorry for her :rolleyes: ). But I do make larger portions so there is enough for leftovers, as it is difficult to cook anything when I get home from work, and she doesn't have much patience for me poking around in the kitchen. (I am going to have to get more creative, as my first homestay student is due next month).

Korina

I do a few things. I quick freeze protein portions so all I have to do is select one for dinner, put it in the fridge in the AM and it's defrosted by dinnertime. When I bbq, I make extra and use it in a salad the next day(s). Foil packet meals are simple and healthy. I make mine in a toaster oven to save energy and not heat up my kitchen. Make a quiche and eat it for breakfast for several days or add a salad and have it as lunch or dinner. Make a casserole and divvy it up into indy portions and freeze. Your very own Homemade freezer meal. I go out to Happy Hours for inexpensive dining out. Lots of places have cheap appetizers and its fun to get out of the house.

Hi Redwind,

Well I feel the same way as you do, I can't cook anymore, so it is a little bit of a problem, I eat a lot of salad with tuna or grilled chicken, I eat brown rice and goya beans with grated cheese on top, I make some garden burgers already made just heat up and a sweet potatoe in the micro, lots of sandwiches turkey and cheese, it is terrible to eat alone, you just do it to fill up. I stopped eating all the healthy good food we used to eat, because it did nothing for johnny, did it? I am eating whatever i am not supposed to eat, i have high cholesterol, sll i have been eating is cheese, like a death wish. which i do have.

sorry to be so depressing

take care,

Karen

Dear Redwind 30,

I love to cook and found it to be something that keeps me from having a 'pity party'. Having to cook for a couple is different from cooking for one, in the earlier stage of my loss, I did not feel the urge to cook and ended buying frozen meals, this turn out to be a disaster and also a Blessing in a way.

I bought the meals for one and since the supermarket was having 'specials' I decided to buy different selections of meals, all toll 6 or 7 of them and put it in the freezer, finally the day came when I felt lazy and took one of the frozen goodies to have for dinner.

The disappointment on the tucker was unbelivable and that was it, took the lot and put it into the bin. Now I ensure I cook nourishing and appetizing food I like, making it a point to eat one and freeze the others, I find when I buy a small quantity of chicken,pork or beef fillet adding fresh vegetables in season and cooking stir fry dishes is quick and easy, I am able to serve 3 servings from one dish, likewise casseroles and soups, when it comes to roast, i will wait when I have family or friends over for dinner more often there will be left over.

I found at the end of the day, by buying your meat,fish and veg it works out cheaper then buying takeaway or frozen food, I will say, I cook about 3 to 4 times a week depending on what inspires me especially after watching "Masterchef"

Food for thought.

Golden48

Hi Redwind,

I plan all my meals on sunday, which is when I do my shopping. This gives me something to do on sunday. The meals are very simple. I plan for sun-wed. Four meals. I have leftovers on thursday. I do take out sushi or pizza on friday's. Saturday is open. Since it is hard to eat and I am so exhausted from the day, it has to be quick and easy to prepare. I get everything prepped or done ahead of time. I like to have a glass or two of wine before I eat. If things are not done ahead, I find that I don't want to eat or cook after the glass of wine!!

The first 8 months after my husmands death, I invited either the neighbors or my in laws over one night a week for dinner. This forced me to be around people even though I didn't want to be around anyone. Cooking was always a big part of my life with my husband. We always ate together and he always helped chop and plan the meals. No matter how tired I have been since his death, the nights I spend with others in my kitchen helps. I find that having people over to my house is less of a burden than going to their house or going out. The sanctuary of home.

Everything about grieving is work. Starting a new routine with meals after 20 years was horrendous. I would suggest coming up with a plan, trying it and then tweaking it to something comfortable. I planted a garden and this helped me enjoy the fruits of my labor. Who can waste a good tomatoe when you grow it yourself! To me, food is love and comfort. It helps sooth my soul. I try to always eat only what I love and what will make me feel good. Thank god for chocolate chip cookies!!

Take care, I'm thinking of you and your loss. I have felt your pain and understand how hard it is. Cheryl

Hi Redwind, I to know how you feel. Cooking for one just isn t the same as cooking for your family or your spouse. I would love to cook when Rick was alive. He loved to eat anything. Mine was the winter season his the bbq season. We would sit outside and have a few drinks enjoying the weather and the sound of our pond. At first I didnt feel like cooking at all problem is my job is a daycare cook which i love doing. So sometimes i bring leftovers home for the meal the next night. I also have my parents over usually once a week and they have me back. I love to cook for people. My best girlfriend of 20 years every wednesday night for over a year now we take turns cooking. I dont think we have ever repeated anything. I look forward to my wednesday nights. Love to go to my kids houses and cook for them. They like it when mom comes. That makes me still feel good to. I have had the few frozen dinners and in a pinch they are ok. I try to have someone on a Friday night or Sunday morning brunch to cook for. Take care. Mrs.B

I don't cook ever any more. When Ray got sicker he wouldn't eat any more so haven't cooked for a long time now. Seems so sensless to cook for just me and is impossible to cook for one. Raising 6 kids I always had to cook large amounts and had a real hard time over the years to cook for two, but now I really have no interest in eating meals. Don't lose weight, but never cook a meal. Doubt I ever will again.. Kids and grandkids come by often and bring me food, but that's about it.

I loved to cook and Sunday morning Michael and I would watch the cooking shows or go on-line and find something creative to make, now, I'm eating "ready meals" from the supermarket, a step above the take-aways I started with. When I go to the supermarket, I always seem to have a anxiety attack the tears start and I just brace myself, get in and get out and go home. I can't seem to shop, never mind cook - the thought of it being for "one" just does me in. I have a friend coming from the UK for 5 weeks next Tuesday, I am so hoping having company will "fix" this... Take care Debby

I have never been a great cook, and Michael was pretty easy on what he wanted to eat. Most days before he went to work at 6pm, he wanted baked pork steak, and either baked potato or white beans. He was a pretty good cook himself, on specialty dishes, gumbo, both a seafood one, and a turkey one were his specialties. When he made them, he made a huge stock pot full. I still have a couple of his seafood gumbo packages in the freezer.

Mostly I have lived on frozen dinners, and take out since his death. Once in a great while I will cook. If the kids are coming over, or something like that. I need to do better, but the "Stoffers" frozen meals are not bad at all, and honestly, I really still don't have much of an appetite. I lost about 15 pounds in the first couple of months and have not put anything back on. I eat out some, but just don't seem to have the "want to" to do much cooking. I rarely feel hungry. I think this will all eventually get better, but right now, that is the way it is. Just over 6 months since I lost him, and still all seems like a very bad dream. This week, driving home from work, I found myself crying a couple of times. During the day I am busy at work, but as I head home, I realize that he will never be there again, and sometimes I can hardly stand it.

Praying for all of us in this club we never wanted to join.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

my husband did most of the cooking because he enjoyed it...I didn't ever particularly enjoy it.....tonight I went thru a drive thru....every once in a while I give myself a talking to and use my Geore Foreman grill..it is really good and fast for fish and chicken.....I throw out so much food..I find it hard to even shop for one, never mind cook it.......it sucks.

I find setting the table and eating alone one of the most soul destroying things I can do - recipe for emotional disaster not a nice meal.

It just reminds me how much I miss laughing together, our fun talks about anything and everything, catching up on our day apart, planning the week ahead etc etc etc. We both loved to cook so all that could happen over a nice meal.

Now I'm an expert in bowl food. Something quick like stir fry taht I can eat anywhere so as to avoid the lonely placemat for one syndrome. It's a coping mechanism that I've developed...Susie Q

Gosh, you mean there's another way other than eating the same thing five days in a row for lunch and for dinner? LOL!

There's always the freezing portions...

or the dogs love leftovers...

Get together with a friend, take turns cooking once a week?

Cereal, salads, fruit, healthy snacks on hand...