Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Has Anyone Put Ash Remains In A Necklace?

I am wearing Glenn's wedding ring on a chain around my neck, but am I nuts in thinking of buying a piece of cremation jewellery? I've no plans for his ashes yet but the container is sitting down on his workbench in his workshop and I'm thinking of buying something to hold a small amount of ashes to wear around my neck. Is this totally bizarre?

Dimci,

I have done just as your thinking, Ruth's Urn sits on a special couch table she loved so much with pictures of us, a couple of angels she loved, an electronic candle that burns daily, some silk lily's, and a puzzle of Jesus she built while she was sick hangs above her in a frame, I have also purchased a pocket urn that is with me daily, so no your not nuts if so I am also....one thing I learned while shopping for this item ensure you get one that can be sealed after it's filled as the screws can come loose with daily wearing, mine is a small vial with heart openings on the sides and you view her ashes thru the heart openings, the ashes are held in glass and it is sealed....I find great comfort having her with me...we all must do what we feel comfort with as there is no school, book, or practice for this journey we are on.....May God Continue to Bless and Comfort You....

NATS

Dimcl, I agree with everything NATS and Lindakay have said!! I myself am not much of a jewlery gal but am very interested in finding out where NATS got his pocket urn, it sounds like a great one. I have been looking online but just cant seem to find something I feel would be acceptable to both my Honey and me.

Rachel

Dimcl, I have most of Michael's ashes in a Arizona Red Rock Urn, but I still have a few in the box that I plan to scatter when I feel the time is right. I kind of like the idea of a necklace with a few ashes in it, may look into that also.

In my opinion, nothing is bizarre if you feel comfortable with it.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I think it's a lovely idea.

I and his children each bought a necklace when we were arranging the funeral / memorial service. The rest of the ashes were scattered. I have a tiny heart, that I have not yet worn as I'm scared of losing it, but it stays at my bedside so he is close by as I sleep.

Before being in this situation, I might've found it a little strange, but now I think it's a wonderful way of knowing a little piece of him is always with me, as well as always in my heart.

Lily

I would be very cautious about the necklaces with the ashes in them. I bought one and had some of my husbands ashes put in it....long story short, the little screw holding in the ashes that connected the crystal heart to the necklace came undone and it fell into the dryer while I was doing laundry, and I didn't realize it until the clothes were dry and his ashes were gone. I sat right on the floor in front of the dryer in tears.....but then imagined my husband (who had an amazing sense of humor) laughing and telling me not to cry over spilled ashes.

I also am wearing his wedding band on a chain around my neck.....but I had it shaped into a heart.

Tammy

Dimci, I like your idea of having his wedding ring into the form of a heart

I have Jim's thumbprint that I wear all the time but I think I would like the heart with ashes, especially when I am out of town at my daughters.

At this point in our lives nothing you do is crazy, if it gives you comfort wear it.

Darl

Before Cec passed I too did not think I could ever have an urn in my house full of ashes.

Guess what that is what I did and feel comfort with it here in my living room. I had it engraved and it sits by his picture along with a toy school bus that he had in his school bus.

Some of the ashes I spread around our back yard as he took such pride in our home and all the work he did to it.

I would like to get a pocket urn too. NATS where did you find it??

I wear his wedding band on my thumb and it gives me great comfort.

Whatever gives us comfort is important!

Allana

I would also love to get a necklace. I have checked a few places but have been unable to find anything.Maybe the funeral home? Could Nats or Tammy share where they got theirs?

Lars' ashes are in the bedroom on his dresser with some pictures. He loved working in the yard, so I like the idea of spreading the ashes there, maybe my perennial garden. My only worry is what will I feel when the time comes to move.

Lainey

I am wearing Glenn's wedding ring on a chain around my neck, but am I nuts in thinking of buying a piece of cremation jewellery? I've no plans for his ashes yet but the container is sitting down on his workbench in his workshop and I'm thinking of buying something to hold a small amount of ashes to wear around my neck. Is this totally bizarre?

Dear Dimcl,

I don't think this is bizarre at all! I think whatever you feel you need to do is the just what you should do. All of our journey's are common because of the pain but how we journey through the pain is unique to only ourself. Melissa was interred so I do not have ashes. I do wear here ring around my neck on a chain and like Tammy I had it shaped into a heart.

Courage and Blessings, Carol Ann

Hello Everyone,

I purchased mine from the place I had Ruth cremated and here is a link to a one like it and a website you can order them, I would check locally though as someone will have to open the large Urn, fill your keepsake, then close both, I couldn't do it that's why I didn't order and they wouldn't fill one not purchased by them....also before you purchase one make sure your main Urn is not sealed, I requested mine not be sealed just for this reason....hope this helps....

NATS

This one is almost like mine except mine has hearts on it and you can see the ashes thru small

heart shaped windows...

plain-1_1258648627.jpg

My link

Here is a link to the site that I bought Michael's Arizona Red Rock Urn from, they offer several styles of jewelry. http://www.memorial-urns.com/cremation_jewelry.html Hope that came through all right, not very good at links. I think I am going to order something, just not sure what yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Since I started this thread, I wanted to let you all know what I've done in this regard. I looked at cremation jewellery (and the prices!) and thought, "There must be another alternative", so I put on my thinking cap and wondered what I could use instead of paying a large price for a piece of jewellery that nobody else would see but me (I wear Glenn's ring on the long chain as well and just want them to be private). What I came up with was 6 small brass containers for $4.00! Apparently, their purpose is to attach to luggage, etc. You put a little strip of rolled-up paper in them with your name and address and attach it to whatever you pack with you and, in case you lose it, the cylinder is unscrewed and there's your name and address. Well, I liked the looks of them and filled all six with some of Glenn's ashes. The quality of these is very good and since they screw together in the middle and have very high-quality threads, I have no fear of having them come undone. I think I put ashes in the other five because in the Spring, I might stash these little things in areas of the yard ie. in a nook in the cherry tree, etc. Glenn's passion was the yard and keeping it looking immaculate and I think he'd like to know that he was "overseeing" it, so to speak. :) Glenn was an inventor, an innovator and often made his own tools. I know he'd be very proud of my ingenuity.

I just thought I'd pass this on because there are alternatives to buying expensive jewellery. Besides, I'm not much of a jewellery-wearer and this seemed more appropriate for me.

post-14403-129274816029_thumb.jpgThe photo isn't great but I've included the ring so you can get an idea of the size.

Hi Mary. I got them from a wonderful store that I've used for high-quality and one-of-a-kind gifts for years. The following is the US version of their website: http://www.leevalley.com/us/?c=2. On the left side, search for item #45K07.15. They're simply called "Brass ID Containers".

Di

(And if you want to pay $9.00, search for item 50K41.01 - it's the best kitchen gadget ever invented!) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I plan (when the time feels right) to have some of my wife's ashes made into a diamond. It has been almost five years since she died, but my hope is to do it to commemorate something she would have been proud of. I thought perhaps I would have felt the time was right after I ran a half-marathon to raise funds to fight cancer, but I didn't, and still don't after running every year. I'm still doing the run to fight cancer, and she would have been proud and happy about it, but that isn't the thing that has made me feel the time was right.

Anyhoo, that's the extremely long version of "no, you're not nuts for thinking of buying a piece of cremation jewelry." (Unless we're all nuts too...) :P

post-2941-129395966447_thumb.png

Steven, I have never heard of having ashes made into a diamond! How does one go about having that done? It is wonderful that you do the run to fight cancer. My brother, at age 63 is a runner, he once did the Boston marathon (in his age group) along with his sons. Hope you have a peaceful day, this day after New Years Day. I am going to spend the day working on a scrapbook for our local arts council. We have to get a grant application in for operational expenses in by the end of January, and they like to see what we have been doing by having pages of the scrapbook sent along with the application. We need the funds desperately, so today I am devoting to that. Will certainly keep me busy. Keeping busy has saved me this year, that and close supportive friends and family, and not at all least, this forum. Thanks friends.