Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

Or just out and out painted.  :D

• 3 weeks later...

Oh so true...

Today I was at a luncheon and the speaker told us his story and said that divorce was way more painful than losing someone to death.  I wanted to scream at him!  He hasn't lost a spouse to death so he has no clue what he's talking about.  Yes, divorce is painful, but it's also different and I felt he offended anyone sitting there that was widowed.  He also kept making remarks like "I'm white, free, blah blah blah".  The "white" remark was offensive to me.  It didn't matter that everyone there was white, what offended me is that race shouldn't enter in, as if one is better to be than another!  I was furious by the time I left and the only reason I stuck it out is because I had brought a guest.  I talked to her about it on the way home, told her why it upset me, apparently it didn't have the same effect on her that it did on me.  Seriously?!

We are learning, aren't we Kay, that some people say hurtful things. We also know that each loss is different and cannot be compared. I am sorry you had to sit through this and that things were said that offended you. Not everyone knows how to be tactful nor does everyone know how to be empathetic. 

I just wish I could have addressed it with him afterward, quietly, not to embarrass him, but for him to learn something.

I'm glad we touched base last night!  Funny that we both thought of it at the same time!

I've lived that quote!

• 2 weeks later...

From our friend and colleague Annette Childs:

"The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make a difference that you have lived and lived well." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

These are powerful words that are necessary reminders that growth is seldom peaceful and easy.  Evolution is serious business and if you have come into this lifetime to grow your soul, then today’s quote likely rings all too true.

Between reality TV, the ridiculous highlight reel brand of social media shares that the vast majority of society imbibes in, and the photo shopped reality the advertising world envelops us in every day- it is easy to fall into the false belief that ‘everyone else out there is happy…’

Call me a pessimist but carte blanche happiness is a dead end road. Struggle is the thing that helps to form the very best parts of who we are. My opinion on this is rather strong- having spent 25 years as a grief therapist, I have watched time and again how the most extreme life circumstances can bring the most extraordinary gifts.

Happy is a great thing to strive toward, but do not make happiness alone your goal in life. Let it come in and go out in waves… And when the tides of life bring you into deep waters- on those days, make sure that you are useful, honorable, and compassionate- because when happiness is far away, it is these things that will allow you to be buoyant.

Let the storms come and let the tides carry you out- trusting that they will always eventually return you safely back to shore…. where you will find happiness near you again on some other day.

[Source: Happiness]

• Upvote 1

Finding purpose and meaning was one of the greatest challenges after I lost George.  It took a long time, I didn't feel any sense of purpose in the early days.  Being Arlie's mom and rescuing him and Kitty and Miss Mocha gives me incentive to keep going.  I find purpose in helping anyone else through this journey.  I try to give back to my church and my community.  My home is an open door to my kids.  I may not have money, but I'll share what I have with others...a pot of soup, a warm fire, a listening ear, and a place of peace.  And once in a while, for just a moment, I do feel "happy".  It's a fleeting moment, very quick and then it's gone as fast as it came, but it came, and the point is, I must be on the right track.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I received this from a good friend who also grieves with the rest of us.

For all of you my friends..........I care.

Stephen

FB_IMG_1452717900653.thumb.jpg.bf34f9e34

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that's amazing!  Someone's been eating a lot of paste! :)