Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

A lovely meditation on grief led by Joan Halifax, Buddhist educator and author and so much more. It is 10 minutes that will quiet you. Her voice and words are reassuring. Also notice below this meditation is a link to an interview with her. Worth your time.

http://www.onbeing.org/blog/encountering-grief-guided-meditation/4983

May I be open to the sorrow, to the pain of grief.

May I find the inner resources to really be present to my sorrow.

May I accept my sadness, knowing that I am not my sadness.

May I forgive myself for not always being able to meet my loved one's needs.

May I forgive myself for mistakes made and things left undone.

May I be open with others and with myself about my experience

May I be open to receive the kindness of others as they support me in this journey of grief.

May I and all beings learn from and transform sorrow.

• Upvote 1

Mary, Thank you for this meditation. It is a favorite of mine. A while back I framed those words and have them in my meditation corner. Sometimes I will take just one of the sentences and think about it during the day.

The other picture is one that has become a mantra - for all of us - I think.

"May I accept my sadness, knowing that I am not my sadness."

Anne

post-15704-0-25324700-1389469320_thumb.j

post-15704-0-08712300-1389469366_thumb.j

Anne, this is so lovely and yes, calming. Good for you, first for having a meditation corner. I can not tell you how many women I have suggested that to in my many years in my office. Many did it. Many never did. It is so important even when we live alone to have that special place that when we enter its sacredness, we are home. Especially true for we who have lost the person who was home.

• Upvote 1

Glad you like it, Marty. I love Joan Halifax and she does a LOT with the dying. Her talks on grief are truly amazing. I will see if i can locate one or two. Yes the meditation string is outstanding. Just chuck full of good stuff. xoxo

What nine months does for the embryo
Forty early mornings
Will do for your growing awareness

Jelaluddin Rumi

A FREE 40 day journey starts today for people of all faiths/spiritual beliefs or who do not connect with any faith...just a time out in winter to be present.

http://www.winterfeastforthesoul.com/index2.php

This is the YouTube of the opening ceremony for the 40 day journey.

By the way, I was led to this site from www.gratefulness.org which is loaded with meditation tools from labyrinths to the hours of the office to ecards and more.

Thank you Mary, wonderful sites and I signed up for the series of meditations.

The guided imagery on YouTube by Belleruth Naperstek for trauma healing is wonderful, by the way.

Thank you so very much for offering these gifts to me.

namaste

fae

• Upvote 1

You are welcome and thanks for the link to the video.

Mary

I get email from a meditation group in Madison where I have done some 1 day and 3 day retreats. This came with the announcement of the upcoming retreats. This group brings in Sharon Salzberg, Tara Brach, and is led by a woman who as a Madison Police officer taught the Madison police to meditate.

Song of Retreat
by Laura Karl

(The following poem was written after attending the August 2013 retreat)

If you sit quietly

A species of bird you have not previously heard may sing to you,

Tall blue-green prairie grass you have never noticed may grow before you

If you sit quietly

A mother skunk and her kittens may trot atop the railing on your horizon,

An adorable, fearfully frightened bat may cling to your clothing

If you sit quietly

The lark in your larynx may pry open your voice box

And you may spontaneously sing an original melody

If you sit quietly

You may hear the words your soul has been shouting since the day you were born,

The bird-like quality of your spirit may take to flight

If you sit quietly

Your Seattle-fog may condense and rain into your lake-like, mirror mind

You may catch a kaleidoscopic, panoramic view of your life

If you sit quietly

All of your past, present, and future teachers may summon a poem from you,

Your pen may rebel and refuse to return to the dark den she knows as her purse.

If you sit quietly

You may look upon all others with the limitless compassion of the Buddha,

And you may discover who you really are.

• Upvote 1

I really enjoyed the poem "Song of Retreat" Mary. It is one I have added to "Things to Save and Come Back To" file.

I do not know too much about Echkart Tolle. This is a breathing meditation with Joseph Goldstein.

Anne, this is just lovely...peaceful, quieting. I have read, I think, all of Tolle's books and watched his several session webcasts with Oprah a few years ago. I go through phases with him...sometimes reading/watching/listening and then go for months without that. Overall, I do like what he says and I do like this video. Thank you.

This is my meditation for tonight. I really like this video. I could watch it everyday. Tonight I am grateful for good reports and will try to look on my life as a blessing. I have work to do and I am grateful. Many of you will know this video. I never tire of it.

http://www.gratefulness.org/brotherdavid/a-good-day.htm

I do love this one also, Anne. Thank you...a lovely way to end my day too.

• Upvote 1

I also love this and have days like this even after YEARS of sitting. :wacko:

I didn't know where to put this but this lady has such good messages for those of us who are grieving.

Why Grief Feels Like a Revolving Door by Maureen Hunter. I can't post the one from FB but maybe this link will work.

Anne, Thank you for the piece by Esdeer. I have been reading her for years...and recently she has taken time off but pops in every once in a while. I might have missed this were it not for your post. So thanks, much.

The link does work, btw. :)

Thinking of you these painful days,

Mary

Yes, Esdeer played a huge part in my walking through grief in my first year as did Marty's online course that I took.

I so appreciate how much you and all of our forum members have been with me during these most difficult days - thank you.

I have to find some readings on pet loss as I come to grips with this most painful time.

Anne, here is the link to the search results on Marty's Grief Healing site (for pet loss). There are 8 pages of links on this link.

http://www.griefhealingblog.com/#uds-search-results

Marty, everytime I visit your GriefHealing.com site, I see how it has grown and is just overflowing with incredible and helpful information. It is truly an amazing site. A wealth of information, folks....a place worth visiting often. I use it a lot for my own professional and personal growth and I refer others to it more often than any other site.

Well, I guess this sounds like a sales pitch...but it is really just excitement about that site. ;)

Thank you Mary and Marty. I agree with you about Grief Healing, Mary. I too go to it often. I signed up for the Pet Loss online course - NEVER thought I'd have to do that. How sad and heartbroken I feel.