Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

May Peace be with you......Namaste !

1376656_598583350204340_147538677_n.jpg

I do believe that meditation brings our minds home. Thanks for that, Anne.

http://youtu.be/EbapmXaKRhA

http://www.freemindfulness.org/download

Following yesterday's webcast on mindfulness, I am spending some time looking up and evaluating some exercises (both mindfulness and DBT) that you mind enjoy for your practice. I will post some more later but these are very simple and helpful in my opinion.

For those who missed the webcast yesterday, Marsha Lineham, founder of DBT (Dialectical Behavior Therapy- a techique used for many purposes including relaxation and mindfulness) presented the history of DBT which she founded and discussed its value for relaxation, stress management, and mindfulness.

Peace, Mary

I really liked the video, Band of Light. I did watch the webinar yesterday but found it to be way above my understanding. I appreciated the history of DBT but found Marsha Linehan hard to follow. I liked some of the skills mentioned and think that we can all apply them to our lives especially the distraction skill and the pace breathing. I think this webinar was more for those who are the clinicians or whose work is in psychology.

Anne, I too had difficulty with her. I found it hard to understand some of her words which was distracting. I agree that these webcasts are geared to professionals in the mental health field. I do also think that Tara, and some of the others will be more enjoyable. As I find Mindfulness exercises I will keep posting them. I like this one also...the light.

Mary

Yep, agreed. But then I was disappointed with Stephen earlier this week. It wasn't what I'd expected.

I appreciate the exercises you keep listing, and am glad I'm now home so I can participate! :)

Dear Ones ~ This just in:

We are sending you this personal invitation to join us and thousands who have already registered around the world in a project that could change the world.

Mentors Channel, in collaboration with award winning cinematographer Louie Schwartzberg has created a one-of-a-kind meditation series entitled, 21 Days of Gratitude presented by Louie Schwartzberg. We have graciously invited Louie, along with 20 other inspiring thought leaders, to share his personal insights on gratitude.

What makes this series so unique is that it is directed to non-meditators, want to be meditators and lifelong meditators. Here’s why. With 21 Days of Gratitude, you can meditate either with your eyes open or, if you choose, eyes closed. That’s because each meditation not only offers beautiful, relaxing music, but also stunning, serene images filmed by Louie. It’s nearly impossible not to be totally mesmerized by the rhythms and patterns of nature that appear on the screen. Your attention becomes so focused on the beauty, random thoughts which may have distracted you in the past, gently disappear.

Each day features inspirational thoughts on different aspects of gratitude, beginning with inner strengths such as purpose, passion and focus. The second week is spent on deepening and expressing gratitude for our families and extended families. The last week will expand our love and gratitude for the world we inhabit, and all its wonders.

This is one you don’t want to miss! We want to create a wave of gratitude that will surround and uplift the world. You can be an important part of this mission. And, by the way, all of this unique, transformational journey is absolutely FREE. Join a growing family of thousands of meditators around the world, beginning Monday, November 4.

We encourage you to register today. And please forward this gift to all your loved ones, twitter followers and Facebook friends as well. No doubt they will thank you later.

btn_register_NOW.jpg

Thank you, Marty. This looks wonderful. This statement: "This is one you don’t want to miss! We want to create a wave of gratitude that will surround and uplift the world." reminds me of the study done on Transcendental Meditation. One study monitored the crime rate in a big city for a long time and then they sent a huge number of meditators to that city to meditate for a certain period of time and saw the crime rate decrease. It was carefully studied for variables etc. A well constructed experiment. Many like this have been done with positive results showing that where two or more are gathered, the energy is powerful.

This has the same potential whether we ever know the results or not. We are more powerful than we know. I am going to sign up now and look forward to this. Gratitude is very big in my life. Thanks for this, Marty.

Peace,

Mary

This should be a very good way to spend time, Marty. Thank you for this and I did sign up when I saw it in my e-mail. I have participated in two of these 21 Day Meditation programs and have found them to be excellent. One was with Deepak Chopra and Oprah and the other one was part of the meditation challenge with Deva Premal and Miten which was a 21 Day Mantra Meditation Journey - also very good. I am looking forward to the November 4th challenge 21 Days of Gratitude presented by Louie Schwartzberg and others. Anne

TODAY'S webinar features Ram Dass, PhD who will speak on the topics below - the web site can be found at:
www.nicabm.com
These are a series of webinars that will be shown for the next several Wednesdays. The webinars are free -
"When people experience life-changing injury or illness, they can feel frightened, overwhelmed, and alone.
But when Ram Dass suffered a stroke, he called it grace.
For the full story, please join us this Wednesday, as Ram Dass, PhD shares his journey through courage, growth, and grace with us."
Here are the topics we'll be covering:
  • Why it is So Difficult to Give and Receive Unconditional Love
  • Using Mindfulness to Disassociate from "Roles" and Improve healing
  • Why Health Problems Can Sharpen Attunement
  • How to Love Even the People You Dislike
  • How to Help Patients Overcome the Fear of Growing Old
  • Why Mindful Living is Preparation for Dying

And don't forget the 21 Days of Gratitude beginning November 4th that Marty shared with us above.

Oh, I miss Mary's presence here for all the excellent links on meditation and significant quotes and kind and wise input on all the other threads. Selfish of me but I do understand... Anne

Ruth Buczynski, PhD and her interview with Ram Dass (Servant of God) this afternoon was awe-inspiring. What a beautiful man. His kindness shown through his interview… He talked about living in the present and not worrying about the past or future. He talked about loving unconditionally – accepting people for what they are (souls) and not for their roles. He talked about taking our illnesses and using them as teaching tools. We are NOT our illnesses he kept saying rather we are “loving awareness.” We are souls and if we see others as souls we will be able to love everyone unconditionally. Clinicians can treat their clients as souls rather than people with problems and only then begin to reach those their trying to help with unconditional love.

This interview really put me into another realm. It will take practice to move from our egos to our souls. It will take practice to be in the now yet that is what will bring us to becoming more mindful.

I have no idea if this is clear to anyone but me. He touched my soul as he struggled with what he wanted to say due to his recent stroke. Anne

Yes, Anne, I think I understand your words. You choose your words carefully. I am going to think about this today.

I had an interesting time at the doc, and will share more about that tomorrow, after I synthesize all the new data.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Anne, it sounds like the message was just what you needed!

fae,

Anxious to hear about you, hope all is okay.

Mindfulness. . ."...it's all about attending."

Reflections from Jon Kabot Zinn a mindfulness teacher. To view videos from Jon Kabot we have to google his name because some of his videos are not available anymore.

While there are misconceptions and myths about many topics, one of the most popular topics is meditation. Say the word, "meditation" and all kinds of images and notions come up. Is this for me? I can't sit for long hours. Who wants to meditate anyway?

Here are some of the most common myths about meditation: Ten Myths about Meditation

Found this on my FB page today. It has meaning for me and thought you would enjoy it.

Since I live in AZ we do not change clocks back or forward but I hope that each one of you reading this did something special with the extra hour you gained today. Don't forget tomorrow is the beginning of our 21 Days of Gratitude series. Hope some of you are joining me. Anne

Tara Brach

Question: What does opening your heart mean? Tara says it at the beginning of most meditations, and what does "what is your intention" mean also said at the beginning of meditations?

Response: I’m glad you asked about “opening your heart.” To me, it begins with intention, which you also mention. Our intention, in meditation, refers to what we long for…what quality of being (presence, peace, silence, kindness, openheartedness) we hope to cultivate and experience. These qualities are already an essential part of who we are, yet it is through our intention to realize them that we actually energize our attention and connect with what is here.

The essence quality of openheartedness is experienced as we relax and connect with the felt experience of the heart. At first we might contact the habitual tensions that contract the heart. Yet with continued presence (including, if it helps, to breathe into and out of the heart area), we begin to discover a sense of space within us. As we continue paying attention, that space fills with tenderness. This tender space in the heart area is openheartedness. Naturally our reactivity to stress will contract us, but we can rediscover openheartedness if we pause and offer a gentle attention to our heart.

Wishing you all blessings on the path! Tara

photo.jpg

Anne, where are you posting your 21 days of gratitude? I see some have been doing that for a couple of days already on FB.

Kay, Marty sent us a link back on page 46 of this thread to the 21 days of Gratitude. You can register there or on FB or I sent you an e-mail link. Hope you join us, It starts Nov. 4th - that's tomorrow. I am receiving it through my e-mail. Anne

Edited by MartyT
Link inserted

The link to the meditation gratitude came in earlier, and I listened to it immediately even before I got up. And it inspired me as I did my first walk of the day to list aloud those things I must be grateful for, including being able to walk to the sea on a lovely day with a loving dog, and remember happy memories. I think it will be a good programme. I know Anne is doing it. Anyone else?

It's good to think we are doing it together. I played it again but then had a visitor. It seems that no one else put themselves up for councillor so now I have a new role. The first meeting apart from tonight to which I shall not go, is first Monday in December. I'm going to have to be careful not to wear my Clerks hat. I had to be a whizz on procedure when clerk!

Jan,

Perhaps this is a bit of your purpose arriving. :) Congratulations, and best wishes.

I also like that we are doing it together. I have listened to it once today, and may do so again later. I love the images.

Namaste,

*<twinkles>*

fae

I signed up for it too, it's on my FB.

This is so great that we have joined, so many of us around this fire.

*<twinkles>*

Kay, I cannot begin to tell you how much I love your beautiful cards. I am so very happy you are having fun making the! I think maybe you have found a part of your purpose, making beauty. :)

MIne today was more mundane: I vacuumed the upper level and around the big wood stove, and did desk work, a bit of laundry, and made chicken and rice for lunch. I am feeling better for honoring my own sense of well-being as much as I can stay tuned in, and not getting outside of my comfort zone, as I am also trying to de-stress my life one day at a time. :)

We are going to make it. I think this 21 Days is going to be wonderful for us all.

*<twinkles>*

fae