Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

I am sorry...call it old age....here it is and if you search his name on YouTube.com there are dozens more:

I am glad the waters have receded....for now. We all know those tsunamis come and go and as we travel on this path, they come far far less frequently and one develops a knowingness that "this too shall pass" and that it is healilng to allow the pain.

Peace,

Mary

OLD AGE - you - NO!! We are only one year apart and I am far from old age yet. I still can't believe I'm 71! Most days I feel like I am 50. :)

Thank you for the link.

I also will get a reminder on Dec. 22nd for Thich Nhat Hahn speaking on Mindfulness with Oprah.

I am glad that it is "healing" to allow the pain.

I am 73 and quickly approaching 74 and you are right...I am not old..just "older" and I do not feel old...do we ever?

Mary

http://www.calm.com/

Anne found this and it is wonderful. You can change the time, the scene, the sound and more from the left side and lower right side.

This piece in the Huffington Post is one that might be interesting to many of us. It leads you to apps that are all about meditation, stress management, relaxation and more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/12/the-10-best-apps-for-a-ca_n_4426410.html?utm_hp_ref=gps-for-the-soul&ir=GPS+for+the+Soul

With all the popularity of Buddhism and meditation and mindfulness right now and yes, finally, this is an interview Oprah did with Jack Kornfield who basically brought Buddhist to the western world. He explains that Buddhism is not a religion though for some it has become that. He adds that whatever religion you may practice or none at all, Buddhist practices can be used to improve your life. I spent a day with Kornfield in 1980 and will never forget the impact it had on my life and meditation as a younger :) adult at the time. Now 33 years later, his energy/spirituality and more influence me as do his many books. I have and will use whatever tools help me as I walk this journey called life which includes, of course, the grief of losing Bill. Enjoy this...the page has several helpful links on it. Kornfield is a wounded healer....

I wish each of you a peaceful day in the midst of loss, sickness, holidays and more.

Mary

http://www.oprah.com/own-super-soul-sunday/First-Look-Oprah-and-Author-Jack-Kornfield-on-Buddhism-Video

A great Super Bowl Sunday for me.

"This is a new day who will I be?" A great way to start each day.

Thank you for posting the interview here, Mary. I missed it this morning and was glad to listen tonight.

Anne

I have to smile, dear Anne. Super Bowl Sunday??? Maybe Super Soul???? :)

M

No Green Bay Packers? They won by 1 point today...so I heard. I do not watch football....Glad the Bears won :) Spring Green curls up into their TVs when the Packers are playing.

Peace

Mary

This link will take you to a site that is offering a free 28 day email meditation series to assist you in getting into meditation. It also has links to an entire year of offerings...free but request donation if you wish to make one.

http://www.wildmind.org/going-deeper

Daily Meditation: January 3, 2014

dm_winter_fence.jpg

Vulnerable, Like a Bird

Life is precious. Not because it is unchangeable, like a diamond, but because it is vulnerable, like a little bird. To love life means to love its vulnerability, asking for care, attention, guidance, and support. Life and death are connected by vulnerability. The newborn child and the dying elder both remind us of the preciousness of our lives. Let’s not forget the preciousness and vulnerability of life during the times we are powerful, successful, and popular.

henri_full_signature_black.gif

Text excerpts taken from Bread for the Journey, by Henri J.M. Nouwen , © 1997 HarperSanFrancisco. All Scripture from The Jerusalem Bible ©1966, 1967, and 1968 Darton, Longman & Todd and Doubleday & Co. Inc. Photo by V. Dobson.

Anne, Nouwen and Watts are two favorites. I think it was Watts who said, way back in the 70s, "Have a cup of tea and stop the war inside." These posts are great.

Yes, Mary, Nouwen has been a favorite of mine for years and I'm just starting to really like Watts. I have been listening to him about every other day now for awhile. I like his calming voice and his messages always give me much to think about. There is a meditation (I call them meditation) from Watts called "Images of God" that I'm going to listen to tonight.

Today: being fruitful rather than successful

Daily Meditation: January 4, 2014

dm_winter_fence.jpg

Fruits That Grow in Vulnerability

There is a great difference between successfulness and fruitfulness. Success comes from strength, control, and respectability. A successful person has the energy to create something, to keep control over its development, and to make it available in large quantities. Success brings many rewards and often fame. Fruits, however, come from weakness and vulnerability. And fruits are unique. A child is the fruit conceived in vulnerability, community is the fruit born through shared brokenness, and intimacy is the fruit that grows through touching one another’s wounds. Let’s remind one another that what brings us true joy is not successfulness but fruitfulness.

Posted on January 5, 2014 by daily meditation

I won't post these all year - the link is above if anyone is interested.

dm_winter_trees.jpg

Living the Moment to the Fullest

Patience is a hard discipline. It is not just waiting until something happens over which we have no control: the arrival of the bus, the end of the rain, the return of a friend, the resolution of a conflict. Patience is not a waiting passivity until someone else does something. Patience asks us to live the moment to the fullest, to be completely present to the moment, to taste the here and now, to be where we are. When we are impatient we try to get away from where we are. We behave as if the real thing will happen tomorrow, later and somewhere else. Let’s be patient and trust that the treasure we look for is hidden in the ground on which we stand.

I have referred to my journey through grief as a walk through a labyrinth. For those who have never walked a labyrinth for meditation or insight, this graphic gives one a sense of how it weaves itself back and forth, in towards the center and back to the edges repeatedly. What "should" be a short journey from entrance to center, becomes a long, convoluted, journey with what feels like setbacks or repetitions. Try this and I urge you to choose "your own power". If you do, just place your mouse just in front of the arrow and sort of pull it through the labyrinth... According to Lauren Artress, Grace Episcopal Church in San Francisco and author of the Sacred Path, walking a labyrinth is to gain insight into our journeys, ponder those insights at the center, and take with us as we walk back to the entrance, the resolves we made.

http://www.gratefulness.org/labyrinth/index.htm