Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

Oh, Anne, I know you are sad and heartbroken...I am so sorry. So much loss...I send hugs. (((((((Anne)))))))

Mary

Listening with Tara Brach-the first two podcasts on the following page.

http://www.tarabrach.com/audioarchives2014.html#begin

post-14525-0-73518300-1390670967_thumb.p The Chinese characters for the word Listen. We all want to be heard.

If you sign up here, you will receive FREE, no strings attached...6 guided meditations and 9 pieces of meditation music.

Lower right hand corner of http://www.soundstrue.com/shop/welcome

Now here is a meditation: A mezmerizing murmuration

This arrived in my email this morning. This is not meant to be an endorsement, as I do not know the author and I have not read her book. I'm sharing it here for those who may be interested:

events-icon-192574eef80330c97ef1fdc83644Mindfulness & Grief Book Launch Hangout google-plus-6617a72bb36cc548861652780c9ephoto.jpg
events-time.png Sat, March 1, 12:00 PM EST
Are you going?
event_theme.jpg

Relax and celebrate the release of Heather Stang's Mindfulness & Grief: The 8 Week Guide to living mindfully after loss. This online event will feature guided meditations from the book as well as special offers and book discounts. Heather will also host a live Q&A session. Whether you are grieving or a grief professional, this free one hour event will help you calm your mind & restore your body!

"Whether we sit in formal meditation with our eyes closed, go for a walk or throw a football, if we do it with awareness we are meditating. We can sit with our eyes closed but if our mind is scattered then there's no stillness, while we can be running everywhere playing competitive sport but if our mind is focused and aware then we are being mindful. A clear and comprehensive training in mindfulness is vital, so it can become integral to every part of our life. Play to win: practice mindfulness!"

Read more here: Amazing: Super Bowl and TIME Magazine Both Focus on Mindfulness

Marty, In the 70s I played racquetball twice a week. It is fast moving and demands total concentration. I was meditating when I played. (BTW I quit when I went after a ball that would mean I won the game. I knew I should not go after it as it was way too demanding. I broke my ankle that night...end of story :) end of racquetball for ell over a year.

Ah, now I know why they won. :)

The game, the first football game I ever watched in its entirety in my entire life, was ultimately quite boring with a score of 43-8 there was little doubt who would win.

But knowing that meditation played a role in the Seahawks victory...is quite comforting...

It works folks...it really works.

Daily Meditation: February 8, 2014

dm_snow_wheat.jpg

Care, the Source of All Cure

Care is something other than cure. Cure means “change.” A doctor, a lawyer, a minister, a social worker-they all want to use their professional skills to bring about changes in people’s lives. They get paid for whatever kind of cure they can bring about. But cure, desirable as it may be, can easily become violent, manipulative, and even destructive if it does not grow out of care. Care is being with, crying out with, suffering with, feeling with. Care is compassion. It is claiming the truth that the other person is my brother or sister, human, mortal, vulnerable, like I am.

When care is our first concern, cure can be received as a gift. Often we are not able to cure, but we are always able to care. To care is to be human.

henri_full_signature_black.gif

It sounds so simple. I guess the lesson is to learn how to STAY.

In meditation we discover our inherent restlessness. Sometimes we get up and leave. Sometimes we sit there but our bodies wiggle and squirm and our minds go far away. This can be so uncomfortable that we feel it’s impossible to stay. Yet this feeling can teach us not just about ourselves but what it is to be human…we really don’t want to stay with the nakedness of our present experience. It goes against the grain to stay present. These are the times when only gentleness and a sense of humor can give us the strength to settle down…so whenever we wander off, we gently encourage ourselves to “stay” and settle down. Are we experiencing restlessness? Stay! Are fear and loathing out of control? Stay! Aching knees and throbbing back? Stay! What’s for lunch? Stay! I can’t stand this another minute! Stay!”
Pema Chödrön

I agree, Ann...stay is the key but that does not mean that we do not move. There is walking meditation, mindfulness using shells, flowers, rocks, etc. in addition to sitting meditation. When I was at Kripalu a century ago, we did Yoga in motion because Americans are not good at sitting. The word 'stay' for me is stay present, which is hard enough in and off itself...gently bringing our minds back to whatever it is we have chosen to use to stay present when they wander...and they will wander. When I am restless, I use Bill's rock/shell collection studying the intricacies of these items. It is a challenge...but worth the effort. :closedeyes:

I remember teaching my middle school students and junior high level students to meditate in the 70s and I know it made a difference in the way the school day went. They loved it. We meditated upon arrival and journaled at the end of the day. A practice we could all benefit from doing....it can change our brains and make the journey through grief a bit easier...and every bit helps with such deep pain.
"To me, bringing mindfulness-based practices to students, teachers and parents is some of the most important work we can be doing. If we can help the next generation become more self-aware, empathetic and emotionally resilient, they will bring their wisdom to healing the earth and creating a more peaceful world." - Tara Brach
1888533_602095066529928_955487135_n.jpg

Mary, I so agree with you about the idea of 'stay'- stay present to what it is we are doing right now and not being stationary. I don't think you and I are the only ones who thought it important to teach our students the importance of focusing on what we are doing. I don't know if I called it meditation but I did talk about being aware of our breathing. Later on, when I taught teachers technology software to use in their curriculum we always started off with a relaxation exercise so they could be more focused. Coming in to a workshop after spending six hours with students could leave you pretty rattled. :)

Anne, I assume you were doing this in the 70s as was I. I think we were ahead of our times...Yes, i have to say in my teaching days, I never enjoyed going to meetings or trainings AFTER teaching all day. Smart to do relaxation first. That never happened when I was teaching and i have no clue why I did not take the lead. :)

Janice choreographed this dance to music written by her husband...on the 1st anniversary of his death. I see it as a meditation on love and light and yes, death.

"Remembering" - for Dan (August 23, 1946 - January 24, 2013)
from Butoh Dancer 1 week agoNot Yet Rated

Dancer/Choreographer: Janice Kovar
Music: Dan Kramer ("Lullaby" & "Tender Hearts")
Video: Evan Spitzer & Kayla Reopelle
Editing: Mandy Caughey

"so I thought: maybe death isn't darkness, after all, but so much light wrapping itself around us." - Mary Oliver

Such a beautiful expression of love. Thank you, Mary, for sharing the video. How amazing to witness the raw emotions of someone who has loved so much. I see it as a journey from deep pain to emerging acceptance to eventual remembering of what was good. Meditation takes on all forms - dance is definitely one of them.

Thank you for finding this. I love it.

Anne

Another blessing by John O'Donohue

Blessing by John O’Donohue

May you listen to your longing to be free.

May the frames of your belonging be generous enough for your dreams.

May you arise each day with a voice of blessing whispering in your heart.

May you find harmony between your soul and your life.

May the sanctuary of your soul never become haunted.

May you know the eternal longing that lives at the heart of time.

May there be kindness in your gaze when you look within.

May you never place walls between the light and yourself.

May you allow the wild beauty of the invisible world to gather you, mind you and embrace you in belonging.