Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

fae,

I'm glad you like them! I am trying to do something productive each day, whether it be making cards, cleaning, selling on eBay, or running errands. And of course it's okay to have a day now and then to veg out. :) I'm glad you're feeling better! I did laundry, dishes, cleaned house yesterday. Today I've been listing on eBay. I'm altogether too slow at it, I wish I were better at taking picturese, I'd do a lot better. Oh well, enjoying having all the time in the world to get things done!

Jan, I'm enjoying the 21 days too, am not sure if they'll send me a link, post to FB or what, will have to go check that out.

I can't get the meditation to load today, tried again and again. Some others commented they were having problems too. Did anyone get to play it?

Tomorrow is the next free webinar delivered by Tara Brach this time. She is a favorite of mine.

Tomorrow (Wed, 6th) you can watch Tara talk about the three gateways to moving toward presence and finding true refuge during a free webinar sponsored by the National Institute for the Clinical Application of Behavioral Medicine.

To watch at 5pm Eastern Time, sign up here: http://www.nicabm.com/php/redirects/?id=487

Also, I'm so very glad so many of us are doing the 21 Days of Gratitude. It feels very good to be connected with so many of us.

Kay, did you get set up yet? I just love your cards. Now I have to get busy and write real notes to people! Something i don't do enough of with e-mail these days!

I am just so grateful for so many beautiful people here at our fire. I'm not sure about my purpose today. I knew what it was when I was teaching and when I was raising Jackie and when I was caregiving. Maybe it is just focusing on the present moment.

-“I give thanks to the living universe by focusing on my purpose, and sharing it with the world.”

Keeping you all close. Anne

Oh yes, purpose! I don't know mine at all. I know I need to help Rainie and the little ones (and Rainie had to rush to nursery to fetch Rosie-Mae home yesterday with a high temperature). But as to any other purpose I don't feel I have one at all. When Pete was alive my purpose was to love and be with him and make him happy. We never articulated it like that but it was true. Now?

When George was alive, I knew my purpose. When my kids were growing up, I knew my purpose. I don't know what it is now but I try to just respond in life as I should and hope I am fulfilling some unseen purpose.

Anne, I signed up for and listened to day one. I tried several times to listen to day two to no avail. Today is no better. I see from the comments left that others have the same problem. I don't know if there's a computer glitch or what. You guys seem to be able to listen to it with no problem. For me, nothing loads. I don't have problems with any other downloads, videos, etc.

I think one of our purposes now is to heal and come to know ourselves as well as possible. I have always had the passions of my human rights work and my art, supplemented by my consulting.

Now, I am passionate about healing from Doug's leaving and all the subsequent nastiness. I want to heal so I can go on with life without feeling a victim or that I have nothing left to live for anymore. I don't know what will inspire me. I have lots of art stuff out, but no energy yet to dive in. I envy you your wonderful creativity with the cards.

And, truth be told, a part of my passion/purpose right now is being here with all of you, healing and learning how to live this new life that is taking me in new directions. I know I have my G*dchildren around me, even if not my grandsons.

Oh, Kay, I wish I knew how to fix things so you could share 21 Days with us all. Did you get an email? If not, try signing up again maybe? I do know some people are having problems getting to listen the programs. I wonder if it is a Windows issue, but with so many Windows users, I'd think not.

Kay, maybe your mom has made her peace with herself and her life in her own way, and is now being the person who is content. I hope she at last is feeling safe and secure enough to, as you said, let go of all the old tapes, perhaps by forgetting them. I know it is hard on you right now. I am keeping you in my prayers, and thinking of you as you find things working out for the best, no matter if we do not understand.

Namaste,

*<twinkles>*

fae

Just a few minutes to Praise the Morning.

Morning has broken, like the first morning.
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird.
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning,
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word.

Sweet the rain's new fall, sunlight from heaven.
Like the first dew fall on the first grass.
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden,
Sprung in completeness where His feet pass.

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning.
Born of the one light Eden saw play.
Praise with elation, praise every morning;
God's recreation of the new day.

Morning has broken, like the first morning.
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird.
Praise for the singing, praise for the morning,
Praise for them springing fresh from the Word.

Thank you Anne,

Praise for the day, the Word, for Life, and for Love.

Thank you.

It is a beautiful day here, I am grateful to be alive, and to have this wonderful fire.

Namaste

*<twinkles>*

fae

What a beautiful bird! I always loved that song. Thank you, Anne!

I think I've heard this one before, it's a good one.

Here is a good piece for those who are new to meditation.

A Beginners Guide to Meditation: http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life/a-beginners-guide-to-meditation-20131025-2w5pq.html

An excerpt:

FOUR STEPS TO CALM

From author of ‘Quiet the mind’ Matthew Johnstone

1: Sit in a comfortable position on the floor or in a straight-backed chair. Imagine a piece of fishing line running from the base of your spine up your back and out the top of your head, pulling you upright. Concentrate on the feel of your feet anchoring to the floor, your bottom sinking into the chair, your clothes against your skin.

2: Tune your hearing into what's going on outside the room –people chatting, a dog barking, the sound of the wind. Then acknowledge the room you're sitting in – a ticking clock, electrical appliances buzzing. Finally bring your attention within, to the feel of your heart beating and any areas of tightness in your body. As you breath in repeat to yourself "I am here" and as you breath out "I am now".

3:Imagine your mind and body slowing down, like a ship that's been on "full steam ahead" through rough seas. See yourself entering calm, still water where it is safe to take your foot off the accelerator. If your mind is abuzz, rather than owning your thoughts, try to observe them from a distance. Picture your thoughts as a swarm of bees that are behind a glass sliding door.

4: Be kind to unwind. I often hear people say "I tried meditation once and just couldn't do it" but that's like going for one jog and expecting to be fit instantly. It takes time to train a busy mind to be still and some days your meditations will be turbulent. Whatever happens there is still great benefit in sitting quietly.

You do not have to buy any tapes or CDs...just go to www.TaraBrach.com or YouTube search guided meditations or scroll back through this topic for many meditations placed here by members. It is all free...and helpful.

An interesting perspective on worry, posted on The Daily Om, November 11, 2013:

When Worry Becomes a Prayer: Creating What We Don’t Want by Madisyn Taylor

When our thoughts become consumed with worry, we become a beacon of worry to the world.

If prayer is an intention that we announce to the universe in order to create a desired outcome, then our every thought is a prayer. This includes thoughts of worry as well as of hope. All thoughts are subtle creative energy. Some thoughts are more focused or repeated more often, gathering strength. Some are written down or spoken, giving them even greater power. Every thought we have is part of a process whereby we cocreate our experience and our reality with the universe. When we use our creative energy unconsciously, we create what is commonly known as self-fulfilling prophecy. In essence, when we worry, we are repeatedly praying and lending our energy to the creation of something we don’t want. Read on here.

I found today's meditation on 21 days to be difficult to connect. My heart just would not go there today. I am grateful for Doug, but I still miss him so much that this was just a tough meditation, so I did other meditations instead of this one.

I wonder if I am the only one of us doing these each day who found today a bit dificult?

Fae

I found today's meditation on 21 days to be difficult to connect. My heart just would not go there today. I am grateful for Doug, but I still miss him so much that this was just a tough meditation, so I did other meditations instead of this one.

I wonder if I am the only one of us doing these each day who found today a bit dificult?

Fae

Good morning, fae

I have not watched these meditations but I support you in your wise choice to do something else when the meditation did not feel right to you. Good for you. Each of us must listen to our own hearts as you know...and you do that well...very well, in my opinion. Your heart was just not where that meditation was and you made a wise decision.

Peace to that wise and kind heart of yours,

Mary

I am several days behind so I haven't reached that one yet, but I have to admit to finding the whole idea of gratitude in my situation very difficult. However whilst in Leeds with Rainie I had a nasty experience when she went out in her car to the supermarket (bear in mind that she only just passed her test) and was very very late coming back. I died many deaths of worry and when she was Ok I realised I still had things to be grateful for. I have to be grateful for what I still have even though my loss seems so huge a thing else seems minute.

Sometimes it's not just the message but the timing, we have to be sensitive to both.

I'm still not able to hear the meditations, I heard day one, that was it. It starts to speak for a few seconds, then that's it.

Dear Jan,

I think that you are right that is is hard sometimes to feel grateful. I have certainly found this meditation exercise very helpful in bringing me back to Earth and helping me to look at things closer to home to be grateful about.

The meditation I skipped was on being grateful for our spouse or significant other, and family. I could not yet pull my grief far enough away from my heart for that one.

I am smiling a bit at your worry about Rainie and the car. I remember when I was away doing archaeology somewhere, and the girls had explicit orders Not to drive the little MG anywhere, don't even start it. Both had their license, and were allowed to ride their scooters, but only in Evanston. They took off to go shop at downtown. They were an hour late getting back, and we were ready to call the chief of police in about ten minutes. David was a lot more worried than I was about it, but he was a true worrier, even then. When they came home, we both told them how much we loved them, and if they ever scared us like that again, and did not call, well, you can imagine. They both burst out laughing at us. :)

But, yes, even when we know there are things to be grateful for, we still must go through this journey of grief. These days, I just let myself cry and don't even try to winkle out why I am crying exactly, because I have come to know it is energy of sadness, grief, aloneness, hurt, and all the rest that must be washed out of me. I am grateful I have learned to cry so honestly and cleanly, for I do feel that I have learned that much: to cry when it is time to cry and to laugh when it is time to laugh.

Again, welcome home from your lovely mini-holiday.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Good morning, fae

I have not watched these meditations but I support you in your wise choice to do something else when the meditation did not feel right to you. Good for you. Each of us must listen to our own hearts as you know...and you do that well...very well, in my opinion. Your heart was just not where that meditation was and you made a wise decision.

Peace to that wise and kind heart of yours,

Mary

Oh, thank you so much Mary. Yes, I simply could not muster up gratitude yet in the face of Doug being gone. Maybe later. You are so right that my heart is just not where that meditation was.

I think we should be throwing a party to have you back among us, Dear Mary. :wub::D You and Marty are a very wise team for anyone who finds their way here.

Thank you and

Namaste

*<twinkles>*

fae

fae, you are welcome. Now seeing what the meditation was about, i.e. gratitude for your spouse...I understand even more why that was a tough one. We all just need to honor where we are on our journeys and do what we know is best for us. It does not mean you are not grateful for Doug, of course. It just means that particular meditation just did not work for you. Good for you. And thanks for the party idea...I feel very welcomed by everyone and it is good to be back.

Peace to your heart, fae

Mary

We've all been grateful for our spouses, it's just hard to hear about now that we've lost them. I think it's good to be sensitive to that fact.