Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Transformations On This Path

Hi Kay,

Just home and it is snowing here and I am enjoying this first taste of real winter weather. So super!

Yes, I think our passions waft into our hearts and stick there. :)

fae

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know some of you LOVE your winters but let's face it, it can drag out longer than you may want ~ I have an alternative for you to THINK about ~ I had to put it in pdf format because of the photos so IF you're curious click on the pdf and enjoy.

Anne

Beautiful Arizona.pdf

Anne's Spa or Anne B&B?

What a lovely gesture!

Beautiful except I don't like the heat or desert...we have desert here too, but in eastern Oregon. I love my tall evergreens and mountains! I agree though, winters are lasting way too long, about seven months now, ugh! I am enjoying Autumn! We're having lovely days, about 70, cool nights about 40, sunny and clear.

fae, I hope you have a fire going and some hot soups or chile!

Anne,

Whew, what a beautiful invitation. What a super idea, too! Where I was just on retreat, I know the owner is happy to have gatherings at her place, because she is pretty isolated all winter.

Kay, I've been outside walking in the snow, sipping a mug of hot Tulsi tea, and praying from the center of my Kiva Garden/Medicine Wheel. The snow was whipping in from due North, and if was tingling and invigorating on my face. I love this weather! Earlier, I got the car serviced, went to the post office, toured around town to see the snow, and then came home to the beautiful snow out here. Most of it has melted now. We have sunny days of 70s before us. Which will be good for those last autumn spins in the little car. :) No fires going: the house is holding at 67F, which is fine with me. And later, I'll be sweating on the treadmill.

I trimmed out the bowl I threw yesterday, and it is pretty, small, suitable as a gift piece when it is finished. The little bud vase may get recycled. Anyway, now I am taking a break from ironing a lot of the last cycle of laundry, and waiting for the days to warm and the sun to shine so I can hang out the next round of clothing. Then I will be caught up from travels. My desk is almost cleared, and most things are put away. I have some superb memories of Fairbanks, and some good memories of scenery at the host ranch.

I am writing a piece to Doug these days, in my journal. It is a memory conversation and I am writing down a lot of wonderful memories, making snapshots with words. :) It feels very good to be able to write and smile, when I think of all the the tear-stained pages the first couple of years. Wow.

I'd better finish my ironing because I have a long list of projects today. :)

Enjoy the day and the beauty of your country. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

My dear Anne, I just love how you love Arizona ~ and believe me, I completely understand why. Truly it is a beautiful place, and of all the places I've ever lived (Michigan, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Florida), Arizona is my favorite.

Oh, it all looks so beautiful. How far are you from the observatory? I want to go to the Caverns, the Big Rocks, the Botanical Gardens, for sure! What lovely places!

(see feralfae scribbling little notes about birds to find around there)

Thank you Anne, dear one, I am going to think about this as perhaps a reward for getting at least one series done by this autumn and early winter.

I am going out tomorrow to get the boxes from storage and begin unpacking my sewing supplies. I am settling back in a little bit, making myself at home again, slowly. And I am feeling all right with unpacking what was that dream, that life and letting most of it go. I am setting my things back on the shelves, handy and part of this new solo life. This is such a remarkable journey. I am amazed at the intensity of so much of it, and also for the things I am learning. Whew!

Okay, time for dinner break, and then back to the studio for an hour or so.

namaste,

fae

There are so very many beautiful places around our country, fae. In AZ, the Lowell Observatory is about 2 1/2 hours from my home depending on traffic on 17. It has been years since I've been to the Observatory in Flagstaff ~ the Clark Telescope is closed until mid 2015 ~ one has to be careful with the high elevation for it can be an issue for some. The last time I was up to the Grand Canyon I went with a group of girl friend teachers from school and we hiked down Angel Pass after staying up most of the night! When Jim and I moved here we went all over the State of Arizona and everytime visitors would come we'd head for the Grand Canyon. My favorite spots now are Sedona and places closer to home. I love the water and get a kick out of people's reactions when they find out that we have lakes in the state! I still get thrill when we rent a pontoon boat and spend hours on one of the lakes.

Kay, you'd love the weather here during the October to May months. I even use the fireplace and the outdoor firepit on some of those cooler nights and early mornings.

Marty, why don't you think about returning to Arizona when you retire!? :D

It all sounds heavenly, but I can see some long-distance trips and higher elevations could be an issue. Staying closer to sea level sounds better. ^_^ And you are quite a swimmer, so of course you like the water. I can float. And swim a little. I might take swimming lessons—that is a thought. A good winter activity.

I have not swum in years. I used to swim a LOT. Anne, your part of the country sounds and looks so heavenly, I can see why you enjoy living there. I am sure you will have some takers for your wonderful invitation. Oh, my, what a nice little dream for us all. We will see how things shape up. :) It is a super concept.

namaste,

fae

Anne,

I lived in Phoenix from March to July, it was so incredibly hot (no A/C) and couldn't take it, that's why we moved back to Oregon. I should have taken in Flagstaff while I was there! And I've always wanted to see the Grand Canyon. Sigh... I think there's beauty in all of our states, just different kinds of beauty, that's why we're so lucky to live in this country, there's something for all of us, as different as we are!

I ate at McD's here for the last time, they're closing their doors in half an hour. :( So sad for this town, lots of memories! My daughter and SIL met there as teenagers and fell in love there. It's hard to see it close.

I adore Arizona, Mike wanted to retire there. I do love my Ozarks also...but what a wonderful idea...would it not be great if several of us could come at the same time and enjoy Arizona warmth! I have been to Grand Canyon, Sedona, and a multitude of other Arizona places, I never tire of the beautiful desert and also the mountains. If we get the winter they are predicting here in Arkansas....may come flying out your way, Anne! It was 46 when I got up today, supposed to be about 65 for a high. My brother and SIL will be here this afternoon, then in the morning we will go to visit my sister in the nursing home. We are going to a special little restaurant in Hardy Arkansas for lunch tomorrow. Called the Pig and Whistle. Run and owned by a young couple (to me, they are 40s) who met while working on a cruise ship. She is from Hardy, he is from London. They married and moved to Hardy and opened this British themed restaurant. I had fish and chips the one time I have been there...cod, fries and smashed peas....really good! Now that I have built it up to my brother and SIL, hope it lives up to expectations!!

QMary

QMary, It sounds like your temperatures are running about like ours! Only we'll be about 10 degrees warmer that you until Tuesday.

Same here in Wisconsin...woke up to 36 degrees and rain and now at 10:20am it is all of 48. Winter is sneaking up on us.

At a friend's home....just past the next town....TODAY

1379722_10205091417350250_40309725479824

Beautiful picture, Mary! It's hard for me to conceive of snow this early. I've had it in late October, but not this early. Here it was 85 today but cools off at night. Just took the dogs to our neighbor's so all of them could run together, they loved it!

It is normal here to get our first snowfall in early October...does not last or amount to much more than a reminder that winter is approaching.

Same here, Mary, although it is usually mid-October, with the first big blizzard arriving with the trick-or-treaters many years. But to day is warm and sunny, and while the wheel is turning slowly and there is a stack of ready-to-throw balls of clay, I have no energy to throw today after yesterday's work and energy use.

I did not go to meeting, and realize that I am still sorting what was a pretty traumatic experience at the retreat. I am recovering, but it was such a shock and disappointment. It will help me to build better walls against aggressive lesbians, which seem to be more in evidence since Doug left. Maybe recruiting widows is a tactic, not a thing I would have thought prior to this experience. Anyway, it also gives me pause to stop trying to be friendly to gay women, who often interpret it according to their own desires. I'm just nattering.

I have led a sheltered life, for all of my human rights work. Very ivory-towered, I guess. Some things still surprise me. :)

I am wandering around the house in my nightgown and robe, sipping decaf, hardly functioning, just easing my way through this weekend. Two weeks ago I was in Alaska, one week ago I was at the retreat. I guess my body, heart, mind, and spirit all need some quite time alone to settle all that has happened recently.

I will take the day to settle into my peaceful self and let it all synthesize into my being. What a journey this life can be!

namaste,

fae

Fae, it sounds like you need more than one day to recover. That is a lot of travel and then a LOT of stress. Take it slow!

Yes, Mary, you are quite right. I think the Alaska trip alone would have been fine, but then having only a couple of days rest, then needing to drive 6 hours to the retreat, thinking I would find respite and peace, friendship and sharing there. Instead it was pretty awful. I am still angry and disappointed that no one thought what the "new person" would think of rooming three days and two nights in the arrangement I had. And no extra beds. I could have left, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on, actually.

Now, I am learning a big lesson from it: in the larger Plan of things, it does not matter if I never see any of those people again, and the group process they used actually discouraged free sharing among the people there. I was too polite and too kind. Fascinating. Also, the facilitator/organizer was so caught up in process that she missed a lot of what was actually going on.

Just one more reason for me to truly appreciate and cherish what we have here. We have a great Tribe here, and wonderful fire tenders leading us along. Thank you . . . thank you . . . thank you. :wub:

namaste,

fae

I am so sorry that you had such a negative experience on the "retreat" you were on, Fae. I hope that this does not ruin your going to Meeting if and when you want to.

We are very fortunate to have a "safe" place here around our fire.

I love the first snow fall when everything is white. It will be good to go up north and play in the snow but I am so glad that I do not have to live where it is bitter cold.

Dear Anne,

No, it won't interfere with going to Meeting here or in Alaska or elsewhere. I will just be more savvy in choosing women's retreats from now on, and will ask questions. I simply made assumptions based on past experiences. :) I swear I live in fairy land sometimes. :wacko:

Yes, we are most fortunate.

Anne, I actually like cold weather and snow. I like the crisp air and the feel of snowflakes melting on my face. I admit that -63F was a bit tough when we were in Fairbanks one winter. Ice fog and very slick ice. But Montana winters are not terrible, and I am actually rather looking forward to making it through this one on my own. With a great deal more consciousness than the last two winters.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Anne, BTW, I love your avatar.

I was utterly exhausted last night after my son & DIL left. It took me hours to put my house back together (laundry, dishes, cleaning, changing bedding again, moving my stuff back into my bedroom & bathroom. Arlie cried heartbroken after they left so I took him to Sammy's to play and we took him for a ride and to the park, it helped soften the blow.

My son took a truckload of his stuff back with him, it didn't even make a dent. While we were out working yesterday, a very pregnant skunk is apparently trying to make this her nest/home for her impending younguns. I spread mothballs around but need to buy some ammonia to put on rags under the garage and patio and porch, I do NOT want such a guest for winter! Sometimes I feel like a "survivor" living here. I got my water turned off for the winter yesterday. There is a bolt I can't turn so I had my son do it yesterday rather than take my chances on getting help in three weeks when I need it done.

fae, "fairy land" is a good place to live. :) But I can't imagine -63! The coldest I've ever been in is -12.

Thank you, Kay, for the comment about my avatar ~ I like to change it according to my mood. I don't know who the artist is but I also really liked it. I do the same thing on my computers. I keep Benji's picture up on my laptop, before his haircut, because it just makes me smile. I talk to him, also ~ I wonder if that makes me "crazy!"

I know how tiring it is to get your home back to where you like it after visitors ~ I love family and company but I'm a little OCD so I don't rest until all is back in order!

Fae, snow is very beautiful when it first falls or if it hasn't been dirtied by all the cars and pollution but I can't imagine living in below temperature weather, now. My blood is too thin from the weather here in Arizona.

Snowbird Bob is predicting a very cold, colder than usual winter, with more snow and ice than we usually get. He is not the only one predicting this, so I am thinking it may happen. I will just stockpile soup/instant coffee/etc., and if my power goes out will cook on my outdoor grill, I can pull it to the back door. My kerosene heater is ready, and my lanterns. If I am just snowed in, with power on, then I will just relax and read......and probably eat... :wub: BTW, Fae, I also love snow and cold weather. I get almost excited as the granddaughters when the snow starts falling...

QMary