Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

It is,11pm and we just made our umpteenth trip to the yard for the day. I took a flashlight out to see what deposits were made. He tries hard to poop, gurgling stomach but I saw nothing left behind. I am setting my alarm for every hour and sleeping in the chair tonight so I can monitor him. I will call vet in a.m. If they do not contact me by opening time at 8am. He is not himself. he ate a couple of regular Fromm's treats. i tested him to see if he would eat. i ended up with a pb&j sandwich for dinner and he wanted it but got zero, of course. but he has an appetite. Thank you. Mary

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the update Mary.

I hope you can get some restful naps tonight.

Poor Bentley, if only we could understand him better.

We need implants, like L. Neil Smith's scifi dog. Bentley probably thinks we need implants to speak canine. :)

I am not making light of your worry, only giving a Trekkie a bit of distraction. :) Something else to think about for a minute.

I love you and I know how much you love Bentley. As of now, Bentley is in what I call my "Pilgrim's Progress" prayer until I hear he is better. :)

Have good, restful, cozy, relaxing naps. Blessings.

fae

It seems like you are not up alone with your vigil, Mary. Many of us are worried 'mothers' waiting to hear good news. I awoke at 1:00 A.M. your time worrying about Bentley and hoping that you were napping. I know how worried you must be. Thank you for keeping us posted on his progress. Anne

It is 5:30a.m. And it has been a long night. Poor Bentley is just beside himself trying to do his business. We were outside several times as he anxiously paces across the yard around and around looking for a spot to poop. I have followed shortly after him with a flashlight (until light dawned) trying to see what he has done. Most times I hear gurgling across the yard but no traces of poop. Sometimes there was some. I am quite worried.

The vet opens at 8 and I filed for an appt with Alan as early as possible today. I will call just after 8 if they do not call by then or email me. They are very down home and caring but also professional. We used them with our last dog in 1987-1996 when we moved to CO- same vet.

Needless to say Bentley is tired as am I. But more than that- worried. Overall I think he has pretty much excreted most of what is there...but he is gurgling and anxious. Thank you for "holding my hand" during this. I felt less alone. Mary

I will try this again. My iPad ran out of juice so this might get posted twice.

If one wishes a vet to call back, follow these directions: get in the shower and get all soaped up with shampoo and suds well ahead of when you think they will call. So the vet call just past 7am, an hour before they open. My vet, Alan, had an opening at 3 something and Lynn at 8:40 so I grabbed the first one. Bentley is not hmself but his attempts to pass whatever seem futile....but his stomach is still gurgling. So I will leave at 8am (of course the road to the vet is under construction and a detour in rural areas gives one a complete tour of the surrounding countryside). A normally 20 min. run is now 40 min. I will post when I get back hopefully with some test results and medication. I have never been a mom of a toddler but this surely feels much like it must feel...trying not to overreact as I am prone to do since Bill died. Everything feels catastrophic suddenly. Fragility, Fear, Fatigue (good book title, eh?) My other one is Silent Sundays. Stay tuned....with deep gratitude.

Mary

Bentley says thank you also. He is a blob on the floor beside me... fragile, fearful and fatigued also.

Dear Mary,

I am holding both you and Bentley in prayer.

The timing story of the shower would be funny, albeit not so much today. We will all smile later. Fragility, Fear, Fatigue covers it pretty well.

I am just hoping this is nothing very serious. The gurgling and no production has me worried, as I am sure it does Bentley and You.

I will keep checking here for more news, and meanwhile, I will continue to send healing thoughts and prayers.

Blessings, dear one, as you and Bentley go through this difficult time.

fae

Bentley

Dear Friends, I just got home. I think we are ok. This was a new vet to us. I think I saw her once before a long time ago. Not sure. She was extremely thorough. She was absolutely great with Bentley (she has a 14+ year old Golden) and I liked her maybe more than Alan (our vet since 1987 except in CO and that vet is a friend-even came here for Bill's funeral) or at least differently. She did a fecal test as I was able to take him out and gather enough matter for them to test and it was ok, i.e. no parasites of any kind though liquid. She did a thorough physical exam, even vacated the anal glands…I could not believe how thorough she was. She thinks it could be post-kennel stress, though unlikely, but he could have been next to a noisy or threatening dog this time. He has been there a lot, especially when Bill was sick and we were doing Mayo etc…and he never got sick.

His weight was down 3 pounds since last Monday when he had shots. So we are watching that but he has not eaten hardly anything since Tuesday and at the kennel he does not eat well and always loses weight (stress) plus he has vacated everything so I will monitor. She asked me if I wanted to treat the symptoms and then wait to see if this reoccurs or run more tests (blood, x-rays etc). I asked what I always ask…”what would you do if this was your dog”? So we are treating symptoms. I am to call by noon tomorrow to give feedback (and I know they will call if I do not) and come back in. She said since it is early in the week we can treat symptoms and monitor closely. He is not allowed outside alone so I can see if he eats grass, pees, poops, etc. I have a regiment of easily digested food (dry and canned) to start tonight (no food for 24 hours but I started that last evening) with 6-8 feedings a day and work my way down to 3-4 etc. to normal over a week or so and then mix slowly with his food. This is more than you want to know, I would guess. I have medication to stop the diarrhea which has all but stopped anyway and probiotics. The medication is also an anti-inflamatory and and anti-baterial. He is acting better but lethargic. She said if we see no change over 24 hours, we will do more tests but she is pretty clear that this is a passing thing…could have gotten into something in the play yard at the kennel, in our yard, stress, the treats (she asked if they were well baked and refrigerated). She did not miss much. Temperature normal. Checked pulses, eyes, ears, gurgling was not audible at all and I am not hearing it either. So I suspect we are ok here but will feel better a week from now. She said if this happens after his next kennel stay that I need to make other arrangements for him…Bentley stresses easily…he is a Golden

I thank you for worrying. It really helps to know you are all concerned. Having this circle of people during these days matters a lot. A couple of my friends know but the support was so far removed from what this group gives….night and day. difference. So thank you. I will post on the pet topic at least once each day of what is going on. Deep gratitude!!!!

Thanks so much for the full report, Mary ~ Needless to say, we're ALL waiting with bated breath.

Since Bentley is such a sensitive dog, and so tuned into his lady, I am wondering: Is he picking up on your anxiety about your eyes? Your recent visit with your ophthalmologist? Your forthcoming eye surgery? Bentley is most definitely a canine barometer in your life, Mary, and we all know the stress that YOU've been under these last few weeks. Perhaps Bentley is simply reflecting all that stress. Maybe you need to teach him to meditate with you ~ or increase the frequency of your own relaxation techniques! I'm just saying . . .

Marty, the thought occurred to me driving home (through glorious spring green hills and trees with temps at 86 before noon) that he may be reacting to my anxiety; to the chaos he has lived through with painters...he even barked and growled at the kitchen draped in plastic and tarps; and since Christmas my stress level has been pretty high in spite of actions I take. I actually have increased my meditations to 4x a day. I just started doubling them since the eye doc appt and I also transferred a bunch of meditation CDs to my ipod to listen to as I fall asleep instead of NPR discussions of whatever...head stuff.

I believe that you and I are on the same track. Surprise! :o and I thank you for your honesty and concern.

Peace and love

Mary and

Bentley

Dear Mary,

I am holding both you and Bentley in prayer.The timing story of the shower would be funny, albeit not so much today. We will all smile later. Fragility, Fear, Fatigue covers it pretty well. The gurgling and no production has me worried,

Dear fae, thank you for your concern. I think we are out of the woods. I hope in a week to leave out the word "think" and say, we ARE out of the woods. But I do feel pretty certain. Thank you so much, Mary

Oh Mary, I am so sorry for all you have been through in the last 24 hours! My internet was down at home so I missed all of this until just now, but I'm glad you had others to sit with you during the all night vigil, people here are great!

I don't know who I feel worse for, you or Bentley. I do know how it feels as Arlie is so sensitive and so is Skye. We've finally hit on what works for Skye and don't deviate. But Arlie has the anxiety order that affects his constitution and I'm wondering if that's not what's going on with Bentley too. Bless his heart! Did the vet give you any ideas what to feed him after the 24 hours without food? I usually start with 24 hours no food too to give his system a break, just a spoon of something easy on his tummy enough to get the Probiotics in, then nothing for 24 hours, then on the concoction I make up for him. I usually have him on that for a week or two before easing back into dogfood.

You're right, it's hard being a Mommy sometimes! I hope you can both rest today. I didn't think to tell you, but my vet has me give Arlie Immodium when his Diarrhea is like that, I usually just have to give it to him once to stop it up. I don't any more than that because I don't want it to come to a screeching halt. I tried Pepto Bismo but Arlie said "No way!" I kind of feel that way myself. :blink:

Please give us updates, we'll all be checking in.

Good news so far Mary. Am thinking of you. Jan

Thank you, Jan. Yes, please do rest rest rest. Your body, like mine has, is screaming for attention. Mary

Oh Mary, I am so sorry for all you have been through in the last 24 hours!

I usually start with 24 hours no food too to give his system a break, just a spoon of something easy on his tummy enough to get the Probiotics

You're right, it's hard being a Mommy sometimes! I hope you can both rest today. I didn't think to tell you, but my vet has me give Arlie Immodium when his Diarrhea is like that, I usually just have to give it to him once to stop it up. I don't any more than that because I don't want it to come to a screeching halt. I tried Pepto Bismo but Arlie said "No way!" I kind of feel that way myself. :blink: Please give us updates, we'll all be checking in.

Thank you, Kay. Yes, I have a schedule of food and meds for 20 days. The food program starts tonight following what will be 24 hours no food and stretches out to the 26th of May. The meds go to the 25th, and the probiotics go to June 3 and the food is all measured and does not incorporate his regular food until Sunday and then just a bit increasing gradually the Fromm's and decreasing the easily digested which is Hill's ID. I am not a Hill's fan but it was that or boil beef and mix it with rice and I was just so tired that I opted for the Hill's. I will update. Thank you for your love.

Dear Mary,

Thank you for the updates. I am just back from a list of errands, office, airport run for a friend, and now home to catch up on you two.

I think Marty has hit it in one: of course Bentley picks on your stress, and his stomach must be even more sensitive to stress than yours is.

Now we will all be watching and waiting to see how things go.

Rest, relax, rest more, and have a good rest of the day ... resting.

fae

Thanks, fae

I just had to put in a call to the vet as Bentley was gagging and trying to vomit. She said if it happens again to bring him down for more tests...but if it is an isolated incident she is not worried. If he is not better by noon tomorrow, she will do those tests anyway. This is not fun for him...or for me.

Your day sounds very full....how about some rest???

Mary

Hi Mary, and everyone else who is keeping tabs.

I am resting now, home from office and running about, but may do some more packing of things, then must meet with the accountant this afternoon later on for a couple of hours.

Jan, I hope you are resting.

Mary, I am still concerned about Bentley. I hope that he is feeling much better already. The whole gagging does not sound good, and I am also worried a bit.

Okay, I need a nap if I am going to function with numbers and tax returns in a couple of hours. :)

Much Love to everyone,

fae

Mary,

Please give Bentley a gentle belly rub or ear rub for me.

Mary, your post crossed with mine...

Is it possible he swallowed something he's trying to get up or do you think he's just trying to empty his tummy of it's discomfort?

Bentley is still having a lethargic day, very clingy, but no diarrhea except a tiny bit when we got home at 10:30ish from the vet. He drank a lot of water and will get food at about 7pm...not much but easily digested food and another pill. I feel so sad for him as I can't explain what is happening...and he is within two feet of me always. I am not going to book club tomorrow and will determine Thursday whether or not I have coffee with my friend (Lutheran pastor). Friday I have two clients in my home office and Bentley is usually in the office during those sessions. Friday night I have a concert nearby-a kid Bill and I support in his opera career. We shall see about that.

Bentley is first...he and I tie for 1st place. :) It is very quiet here and Bentley has quit asking to go out so I know the diarrhea med is working but sleeping or sitting with his head on my leg or just staring at me...(staring and panting means 'out' these days. Usually staring means out.

Again thank you for the support. I talked to Cathy (my friend from Barrington who is recovering from cancer) today and she was super supportive when she heard Bentley was sick. She has some serious issues going on with the cancer so I hope to get good news from her tomorrow but it could go the other way. She is like a sister to me...I am closer to her than I am to my sister.

Peace

Mary

Just got on the internet, Mary, and saw the posts about poor Bentley. How awful this must be for him, and of course, for you also. I am so sorry he is sick. The worst part with the animals is that they do not understand about the different, and maybe not so tasty food, and they certainly don't understand why they don't feel good. Twice in her life, Sassy has had crystals in her urine, and to keep them from becomming stones, the vet has put her on the Hills s/d. Both times that is absolutely all she could have, and was on it both times for a couple of months. She ate it, but looked pretty sad. Of course Corgis will eat anything, but you could tell she felt that I was falling down on my job. I hope Bentley recovers rapidly from this illness, and that you are able to be calm, and not let this add too much to your already stretched stress level (I know the answer here) Your levels are shooting out of sight, I am sure. I think it is possible that Bentley may have picked up on your stress levels, however, there were much more stressful times, when Bill was alive and so ill, and then died, if he did not get sick then, I wonder if that can be the cause now.Wish could help you, but all I can do is send positive thoughts for you and Bentley.

In my thoughts

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Thank you, Mary. I just fed him his first food in 24 hours and the last food was one Fromm's treat so it is really about 32 hours. He woofed it down even though it was 1/2 cup of Hill's ID and one tablespoon of same with a nasty tasting pill in it. I will give him the same at 8:30 and every two hours tomorrow. Pill twice a day and start probiotics tomorrow. So far so good. He is right here...not himself for sure but eating so vet says his stomach is not that bad if he eats. I am watching for vomit however as he tried earlier.

I am calm, worried but calm if that can be possible. I am meditating more often in view of my inability to avoid anxiety without a ton of meditation. (medication and meditation are very similar words). He never got sick, nor did I sure the 5 years of caregiving and except for his regression after Bill died (which was behavioral) he never got sick. So I wonder. But the last months have been tricky to navigate. I do feel I am out of that space now and hope never to return...it felt like a good bye...when I was so sad in Feb. and March. Not that I am not sad but it feels different now. Just lots to juggle...emotionally so I must not take on anything at all...just handle what I have on my plate. Yes, it is hard not to be able to explain to Bentley that iI am sorry he has to eat Hill's...I do not even like Hill's, the research on it for daily food is not good. But this version is supposed to be for digestive stuff. Thanks for checking in. I saw another post from you and will go read that now. I was up all night and fell asleep a while ago and got about 2.5 hours in I think...I was really sound asleep..could not figure out where I was when I awakened.

Mary