Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Anne,

I esp. love that second picture, great profile! He is so adorable. Do keep us posted when you get the results back...praying, crossing fingers, I'd even say a Hail Mary if I knew how!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update on Benji… his vet called me today to give me a report on the tests that have come back so far. His chem panel was normal. Benji’s liver enzymes were high the first time Benji had blood tests in January and the vet said that could have been from the stress in being taken to the shelter. Yesterday’s tests showed that his liver enzymes were up from 300 to 890 – the vet said that it could be from the seizure he had suffered yesterday. The vet wants to do more tests to check for other possible reasons. He is waiting on Valley Fever results first and than will call me.

It’s like having a sick child and not knowing what’s wrong. I am still scared and worried. The other tests the vet wants to have done are checking for Cushing’s disease, thyroid tests to be sure he doesn’t have hypothyroidism (I can assure you he doesn’t), and a more through enzyme work-up. So, I wait. Can you hear the fear in my writing! Anne

Anne, I am so sorry that Benji's health is now added to your own health concerns I am relieved that they are doing thorough testing. But worried as I know you are also. Yes, I hear the fear...and totally understand it. Thanks for the update and I will watch for more. Mary with love.

Thank you, dear Mary. Now go stare in the eyes of your Bentley and throw those toys he brings to you. He missed you when you were gone and wants some love time. Anne

Dear Anne,

I'm praying for you and sweet Benji. You've grown to love each other so much. Thank God the vet has checked everything out thoroughly. I can't imagine how scared you were when this happened. Pictures of him are so sweet. We'll wait to hear good news from your vet.

Anne,

I pray they find what is causing it and that it can be easily corrected. I am certain that Benji was sent to you for you to love and care for him and for him to bring you love and joy, and I don't think the placement was a mistake by any means. Unfortunately, with love often comes fear as we await the outcome. Do please keep us posted as soon as you know something, and know you and little Benji are in our prayers.

Anne, just read about Benji, and praying that they find an answer for you very soon. I know you are scared for him. Will be praying for you and Benji. Keep us posted.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Thank you, dear Mary. Now go stare in the eyes of your Bentley and throw those toys he brings to you. He missed you when you were gone and wants some love time. Anne

I have played with Bentley and thrown toys with him....and now am watching the birds on the wire and listening to their song on a very still evening in Wisconsin. A patch of blue in the sky surrounded by clouds and sunlight...the first I have seen of sun in several days. A rainy gray spring and it is just fine with me.

Thank you, Marty. We are still waiting for two blood tests and Benji's vet will call me so we know where we go from there. I'm like a mother with a child who you don't know if anything is wrong or not! I worry. Benji is acting fine. He likes spending time near the pool. He went in on the first step twice now.

post-15704-0-10591800-1370972802_thumb.j

post-15704-0-58125100-1370972818_thumb.j

post-15704-0-09022900-1370972912_thumb.j

OMG, Anne, he is so adorable! It's been hard to see his face/eyes in the other pictures, these really captured him! (Black dogs are harder to photograph). Can he swim? What a beautiful, darling dog! We're hoping and praying along with you, Anne. All mother hens needed here!

Do keep us posted, Anne. Like I said to Kay when Arlie was sick....all of our dogs, cats, fish, birds, ferrets...and more belong to all of us now. :wub:

Update on Benji – NO Valley Fever – he will go in for the day tomorrow :( for more blood workup due to the seizure he had last week. His vet wants to rule out a few other things before he chocks things up to a one-time seizure! A mother’s worry!

The main test he will have is called a low dose Dex test to check for Cushing’s disease. Just to make sure there aren’t any tumors. The vet is concerned about this because of the high cortisol levels in his blood – again the high doses could be because of the seizure since he had the blood tests within the hour of the seizure.

They will need to keep him all day to test his blood every four hours after they inject him with some kind of 'junk' to see how the blood levels look! These little creature’s are just like people only they walk on four legs instead of two. Actually, Benji is too young for this condition and he really doesn’t exhibit any of the common symptoms to my knowledge. I really don’t want to read too much about Cushings disease in dogs for any needless worry that I would sure do. So, I have to think of something to do while he is away from me all day! Maybe a spa day to busy my mind or maybe I’ll just eat chocolates all day. :P

When I am worried I always try to laugh it off but most times it doesn't work.

I'm off to my cardiac team meeting armed with questions.

Well, I know you are worried and glad you are not going to do internet searches until or IF you need to. I wonder if his cortisol level is high because he just went through a huge change leaving one home and moving to a new home, house, etc. I bet my cortisol level was high for months after Bill died..probably still in sometimes.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You go, girl...get answers!!!

Mary

Anne,

Try to focus on the positive aspect...that he is too young for this condition and he doesn't exhibit the common symptoms. And while your vet is ruling out things, choose to believe the best possible outcome. And I'm so glad NO VALLEY FEVER!

And by all means, while he is having his day out, go to the spa...and bring chocolate! (Have a piece for me too, I'm out!)

And Anne...of course you're worried, I'm a mom and I'd be worried too...I worried for WEEKS about Arlie!

(((hugs to you and Benji)))

Thinking that may not be enough...post-914-0-31471700-1371066650_thumb.jpg

I don't know, Kay, she may need a carton of bags....but Marty's will fit in her pocket for emergencies during the meeting and yours will be waiting for her on arrival home. Right, Anne!!

Hope the meeting went well, Anne and you know where we all are...let us know when you can.

Peace

Mary

Well, it is clear that I need to read the manual for my new cell phone camera. Could not get a sharp picture...this phone has so many bells and whistles on it...drives me nuts but fun. Too tired to keep trying or use a real camera. You get the idea. I left the TV in the background on so you could see all our red...but it is calm now.

Here are a couple of bad shots of a dog who really does not want to have his picture taken...immediately after I "released" him from his "wait", he laid down and fell asleep...being groomed is so exhausting ;)

Bentley x.pdf Bentley b.pdf

First of all - Bentley is so precious. He looks so tired. Those eyes can hardly stay open. I imagine it's like how we feel when we have a good massage! Mary, has the weather calmed down? I am so glad that you are home.

I really appreciate all the chocolate. I will eat them sparingly - yeah, right!

Benji goes in tomorrow at 7:00 am and they will call me in the early evening to pick him up! It should be a long day but I have a few things planned.

I will post about my meeting today over on the thread 'In Darkness Comes Light' that way I'll keep things together. Sure!

It took me a while to get the pictures transposed as they are bad shots but there they are....He kept moving when I did not shoot right away...he was so tired.

Anne,I am glad you had so much chocolate to carry you through. I will check the other topic for your feedback.

Mary

Ahh, Bentley is so cute! He does look tired but he's still smiling!

Anne, will look for your post later today.