Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Could Bentley be sensing some barometric change or storm to come? Dogs are more acutely aware of changes, long before we realize things.

I took Kitty off the pumpkin mixture and probiotics and within a day or two she was back with the Diarrhea. I've decided to continue giving her the mixture and Probiotics the rest of her life if I have to, it seems to keep her system healthy and functioning. Perhaps it's just old age that's doing her in, she is nearly 18. Otherwise she is in good health. I've also decided to grind her Zyrtec pill (1/2/day) into her pumpkin mix so I won't have to cram it down her throat any more, she hates that and runs from me in the morning because of it. It'd be nice to have her trust me again. The 240 g. container I've been buying runs about $16 but I found a 5 lb. container of Probios yesterday for $41, it'll definitely save me in the long run as it has almost ten times as much. I also got her Zyrtec for $15 instead of the $30 I paid last time. So, good shopping!

Arlie snuck into kitty's pumpkin mix this morning so from now on I'll have to put him in his pen before I mix it up for her. I hope her Zyrtec doesn't hurt him! He's a pill...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could Bentley be sensing some barometric change or storm to come? Dogs are more acutely aware of changes, long before we realize things.

Arlie snuck into kitty's pumpkin mix this morning so from now on I'll have to put him in his pen before I mix it up for her. I hope her Zyrtec doesn't hurt him! He's a pill...

I think Bentley is sensing the tension in me...with the picture hanging and the weather with the severe thunderstorm the other night...a nearby airport lost two hangars. The wind was fierce. He has been perfectly calm today...finally. Even though I was gone to paint for a couple of hours tonight.

I am glad you are finding those bargains and that your kitty is good again. Arlie is a con artist....gets into what is not good for hm. I remember when he got into taco soup or chili....he sounds so cute and a lot of fun.

Oh yeah, he takes some watching, no doubt! I've had him for over four years, and I'm STILL learning! :)

I'm glad to hear Bentley is doing better, settling down.

Bentley is NOT enjoying the carpet cleaning event that is going on right now. He is pretty much at my feet but checking the procedure on and off. He does not like HIS house to change in any way. He has not barked at the equipment yet...

Your Bentley is hilarious! I have raised Arlie to have routine, thinking it helped them know what to expect and thus feel more secure, since it's hard to communicate out of the ordinary things to them. My son's been the opposite with his dog, poor Skye never knows what to expect or when, except when he's at his grandma's house. :)

Jan, Bentley barks at the doorbell which I allow because I am alone here and though I feel 99.9% safe, there is no harm in having the bark of a 75 lb dog. Sometimes he barks when a dog walks by but that has died for the most part. When we first moved here he was not used to people traffic.

Kay, Bentley is a creature of routine also. He knows what we are doing when mostly by watching me. Shoes go on, he know one or both of us is leaving, etc. Then when things change...like right now there is total chaos again for about 3 more hours when I put everything back where it was. He prefers things be where they belong....so do I. :)

Arlie is very protective of me and the truck. I get complaints when I go to the local restaurant from a neighbor because he'll put up a storm every time someone goes near the truck...I try to park away from the door, but...

Arlie is very regimented as far as recognizing the signs of what's going to happen...he takes it akin to a promise! For instance, when he sees me putting my shoes/socks on, he knows it's walk time! It's kind of funny, really.

I just have to share a picture of Skye and Mozzy at Home Depot with my son. Skye is crippled, he has a slipped disc, a neurological disorder, among other things. He doesn't seem to be in pain and always has a dumb happy look. My son made him a walker but his back feet are starting to lose feeling as well as the front so he can't use it. Here they are, going for their "walk" in Home Depot:

post-914-0-78259800-1370184303_thumb.jpg

It appears your son is as much an animal lover and a caring person like his mom. Nice that Home Depot allows them in. How great is that?

Bentley goes to the kennel in the early morning so I can go to my conference. We shall see how he deals with it. It has been pretty calm around her for two or more weeks now so he is not going following the chaos of painting etc. If he gets diarrhea again after this visit...i have a friend who will move in here during my surgery trips. I am, however, convinced as I have talked to more people that it was the pumpkin in the treats. Now I know I have to watch any high fiber foods from now on. So we shall see how Mon-Wed goes.

Isn't it funny that Bentley has to avoid pumpkin and Arlie and Kitty have to have it every day to keep their constitutions healthy and well running?! There seems to be no solution that is perfect for everyone, as we all vary.

Wishing Bentley luck so his mommy can leave with assurance. I hope you have a good time at your conference!

Paul got Skye a little red wagon, it's got wooden slats and his tail hangs out the back. It's longer than most children's wagon's. I tried to find a picture of it but only have a video of it, which I just posted on FB.

I do not see it on FB yet but will check later. I think the pumpkin is typical of various constitutions. Some people need prunes to keep things going and others need to stay far away from them. :blush:

The conference is focused, this year, on children and death. This is not an area I have studied but it is, sadly, one I have had experience with in the past with friends/clients. So part of me is quite interested in the content. The new publisher of our (it will always be mine and Bill's) magazine has invited me to write a column in each issue. She has been trying to get me to do that since day 1 but I finally submitted one for the July issue for the 7th anniversary but I am suggesting to her that I do it on Living and Dying Well and use it to educate. I committed myself in this July submission to leading a grief support group later this year...that is HUGE....but great to get the word out...actually it could be January depending on my own energy level. I will be using a new set of DVDs available through Grief Toolbox and I learned that for $10 I can rent a lovely conference room at our brand new fire station down the street from me. So I guess some pieces are falling into place. No clue why I am posting this here :wacko:

Dear Mary,

I hope your conference goes very well and that Bentley stays healthy with no complications.

I think maybe you are posting here, sharing your path with us, because we are all on paths, and it is helpful to share our journeys with each other as we transform and move through our days. You are finding more parts of your new journey, and being willing to lean into them in your own special and loving way, and I am so happy for you that your spirit is opening to the world. I am happy that you are finding ways to share your love, compassion, knowledge, and kindness with more people in a way that is not, perhaps, as draining as one on one meetings, and where you have control of the interaction and the expenditure of your energy and time.

Writing is such a wonderful tool for introverts, because we can reach out, share, interact, and yet protect our energy and space.

Congratulations on your wonderful flowering of new possibilities.

Much Love,

*<twinkles>*

fae

Oh Mary they will be so lucky to have you. We on the forum who have been fortunate enough to have you one-to-one know how much your words have helped us. Don't overdo it though, will you.

No fears, Jan. I will not do this before mid-January 2014 but I will be integrating the content by watching the DVDs, thinking some but even that I won't start soon. I have a goal to heal my body/mind/spirit and that is my priority. And if in January I am not ready...I will start sometime after that. It just feels good to know that it is something to shoot for that will be meaningful to me.

fae, good to see you back on a little. Thank you for your message. I am currently seeing a couple of clients and will increase that at some point but not in the immediate future or even this year. I have surgeries to deal with along with healing so NO plans that are more

than ideas that I know I want to pursue.

When do you return to the lower 48? How is it going up there?

Peace

Mary

Mary, I am glad you are taking it easy with no plans until you are fully healed from the surgeries, and feeling ready for more. I am proud of you, actually. :)

I am not at all sure when I will be returning at the moment: I seem to have more business and property things to deal with than I had first considered. I will be spending more time with the Trustee and a couple of boards while I am here, and apparently, the disposition of several things is up to me, far more than I knew.

So, I am doing a lot of thinking, but mostly resting and enjoying my dear friends up here.

We had a wise women (wizard) circle last evening, with ages ranging from 18 to 75, and it was almost too many people for me, but I just went out on the deck a little more often. :) Much love and wisdom shared among the group. This is a group I initiated several years ago, having prayer fires on Harvest Moon around the big Mountain Dragon fire pit that Doug made. The group and its members have transposed, grown, shifted, but still meet for prayers. When some of the women had left, we had a wonderful meditation together for Peace on Earth and flowing love to all life. Lovely night, stayed up until 2 am.

But I am tired today, so sitting here, writing in my journal, not doing much else.

And I think I will take a nap.

Much Love,

*<twinkles>*

fae

Your plate sounds full. I remember having a lot of legal papers and more to deal with early on but nothing like you have with two homes and several organizations/businesses. I am glad you are pacing yourself and enjoying your friends...nothing like a women's circle. I used to lead women's groups and I loved them....there is nothing like a circle of women. One of the groups used Clarissa Pinkola Estes book Women Who Run with the Wolves. She is a Jungian analyst and storyteller and the book is loaded with Jungian approaches to the fairy tales that date back to before there was communication between continents and islands and are archetypal in nature. Excellent book for women but frankly men should read it also. I read it a couple of times and then Bill and I read it together.

Yes, I am committed to my well being and will NOT do anything more professionally than I am now until I am truly ready....that is the way it is. In just these two weeks I know with all the solitude that I am on the right track. I had two phone calls today (my sister who does not take a breath and another friend and I got agitated just listening and at an appropriate moment told each that I needed to stop talking. I am not a phone talker...in spite of my long posts :closedeyes:

Your group sounds great except for the 2am bedtime.... :)

Be good to yourself and I will be good to myself.

Mary

Mary, it's right above the golden sleeping on the table.

I will look again. :)

I had a very BIG scare today. My Benji had what I thought was a seizure this afternoon. I was in the computer room and I heard some thumping in the hall. When I went out to look Benji was on the floor shaking. His whole body was shaking. I was so frightened. I kept him clear of anything he might bump into until it stopped. I called his vet and brought him in right away. By the time we got to the vet he was active and playing like nothing had happened! I was still so worried because all the way to the vet he was yapping and barking. He never barks when he is in the car!

The vet greeted him and gave him a thorough check up and suggested that they draw blood for a number of things. That done, the vet told me to watch him and take him to the 24 hr vet hospital that he recommends if there is another issue and the office is closed. I’ll get a call in a day or two for blood test results. I guess it’s a guessing game as it is with all of us until they do tests! He said that animals might have one seizure and never have another – they don’t know why! He said it could be Valley Fever that we get here in the South West. It could be from a toxin or an infection or low thyroid, etc. All I know is it really scared me. I am still scared.

Anne

Anne, I am so sorry. I can not imagine how frightening this is and to not know if it will happen again or the cause adds to that. Please do let me (us) know the test results. In the meantime, I am hoping it does not happen again and that you are able, somehow, to relax with this since your stress level is also important. Prayers heading to AZ indefinitely.

Mary

Anne,

I am so sorry, I can imagine how scary that must have been...and still feels, until you know what caused it. I hope it was a one time thing and it never happens again! Between that and the extremely close call I had last night (commuting), it just serves as a reminder how quickly everything can change, how fragile life feels! I know we can't always control outcomes, but all of us here have already learned how much we have to appreciate what we have while it's here. (((big hugs Anne)))

Anne, dear, as I mentioned to you elsewhere, the same thing happened to my beloved Beringer a few years ago, and of course I found it absolutely terrifying. He let out a sound I shall never forget, and as I rushed to his side, I saw him lose control of his bladder while he lay there convulsing. The episode lasted less than half a minute, although to me it seemed an eternity, and afterward he acted as if nothing had happened at all. Like you, we got him to the vet as soon as possible, and she said the same thing as yours: Sometimes dogs have seizures and we never know why. All the tests came back negative, and we never did determine the cause. But I shall never, ever forget how horrified and helpless and frightened I felt as I witnessed this awful event. We're all praying that this will never happen again ~ to you and Benji, dear one ~ and DO keep us posted on his test results, as we are worrying with you.

Thank you for your kind words for my Benji. My heart has settled a bit from yesterday although the worry is still there until I get the results from blood tests. As you can see in a few of the photos he seems to be back to his happy self. Every morning and evening he goes around the entire yard and checks things out.

He actually went into the water on the first step by himself today. Maybe tomorrow we swim!

I do not even want to think of not having him in my family. I am still scared. I have grown so attached to him and him to me. Keep us in your thoughts. Anne

post-15704-0-04522600-1370486576_thumb.j

post-15704-0-91557700-1370486622_thumb.j

post-15704-0-88540500-1370486654_thumb.j

post-15704-0-36038500-1370486723_thumb.j

post-15704-0-76607300-1370486791_thumb.j