Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Mary, thank you for sharing those links. The dog myths kind of rate in there with Spock's child care ideas. (holding a child spoils them, etc)

I have a friend who is a dog trainer in "positive command" and he would never advocate negative punishment, or anything hurtful or harmful to the dog. I have learned so much from him and any time I have a question, I turn to him, personally I think he understands dog behavior better than most vets do.

Karen, I'm so sorry about your dog, that's really hard. :( I'm glad another dog found you so you can share your life with him now. I looked at the FB link but am not sure what I'm looking for.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mary,

Thanks for adding the link. I found us! If you click on the Photos section, we are in the 17th row down(row below the Fourth of July statement), 2nd picture to the right. I'm in a blue shirt holding a picture and my son, Robert is kneeling with Tatum.

You might consider joining up with FB and follow your family. I keep in touch with my nieces on it and read a lot of great pieces on grief.

Here is your picture. post-14525-0-46978100-1374457639_thumb.j :wub:

Kay, you are welcome. I agree about the myths. i use positive reinforcement with Bentley and occasionally I raise my voice when he screws up royally...which is rare. The other day I put up a towel rack in the bathroom...moved it since bath was painted. He pulled the towel down and dragged it to the living room. His towel removal has been an issue... at night he goes in and gets the hand towel but this day...it was a bath towel... so I scolded him, then told him he was a good boy and so far no more bath towel. We shall see. :)

I do not see any funny looking old woman ;) I could not find the other pictures. Take care, Mary

Thanks for sharing the picture! BTW, I just learned today that FB made some privacy/setting changes that I don't recall them asking me about...you have to go in to your settings and "limit" the exposure to your friends, but in the future people will see what you "like" and comment on, not just your friends but anyone, at least that's the way I understand it. You have an option of going in and deleting some likes and comments from your Timeline, but that's time consuming...makes me think twice about what I write now. It feels different writing it to family/friends, and altogether different putting it out there for general public, including potential employers, etc. Annoying, FB!

That is false according to Snopes

Seriously? Did you look at your settings? They're different than they were. Well that's a relief then.

Karen, for you and your son:

From Facebook:

Gabe just sent me this picture and told me to tell you all your babies are happy, healthy and eating lots of treats. They also miss you and love you, but want you to know that they appreciate all the love you are showing to other animals now in your lives

post-14525-0-43833800-1374514364_thumb.j

Thank you, Mary, for sharing this. I will show it to Robert the next time he drops by.

We loved our "Brownie" very much and though I knew the cost would be enormous to try and save her, I could not have lived with myself if we hadn't at least tried. Last year, we had lost "Riley" at age twenty three, but it was a peaceful death. Their ashes sit side by side, as they were in life.

Karen

I mentioned early on here that my HOV bereavement counselor, Julie, had an emergency with her sweet dog, Lexie, and had to take him to the vet. I am sad to report that Lexie had to be put to sleep because of his injuries and he is now waiting at Rainbow Bridge to be reunited once again with his human family. We were able to talk about Lexie when she was here for our last official visit and she is doing ok. Benji sat at her feet the entire time she was visiting. No one can tell me that our animals do not know how to comfort us. Anne

Anne, that had to be such a shock to Julie....a healthy dog one minute and sick the next. Seeing Julie for the final session had to be a significant time for you. So glad you two connected. Mary

Anne,

I'm sorry to hear about Julie's dog, that is so hard. :(

So today I took Benji for his grooming. We get to PetSmart and Benji pushed the little door open that they go in for their baths and haircuts. He must have been in a hurry to get some of that long hair off in this 105 degree temperatures. Today he smells like tangerine - tomorrow, who knows. ^_^

post-15704-0-93866000-1375131502_thumb.j

Thank you, Marty. I happen to think that Benji is the most handsome dog ever! He is 24lbs of pure love. And his chocolate eyes just melt my heart. :D

Wow! that is a super shot of Benji! If he were any more energetic, he'd no doubt launch himself. What a great-looking, alert, intelligent fellow!

Tangerine. Chocolate.

Hmmmm.... candied tangerine peels dipped in Callebaut bittersweet. We may have a new Christmas gift in the thinking. I wonder. They would be thin, but could be wider than orange peel.

(can you tell I am working to eat a bit lighter these days??? Dreams of chocolate. Visions of chocolate. The Maya Gold order is at the PO to be picked up tomorrow. :) I highly recommend Maya Gold. Of course, for the peel confections, nothing but Callebaut. Doug was a total chocoholic. And a gourmet chocoholic. He has long been known for his chocolate adictions. :) Oh, the stories! I experimented, and I can make the torte with organic coconut oil, just must add a bit more vanilla and an extra Tbsp of sugar, if any of you want to try it.

It is a very good thing dogs cannot share our chocolate. A blessing, actually.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Yes, Benji is so alert. When he looks at you with those chocolate eyes it is hard to resist giving him treats. He works me...

Cherries dipped in Callebaut bittersweet could make a succulent candied fruit for the holidays.

I make delectable homemade turtles that could be dipped in Barry Callebaut’s bittersweet chocolate! Let’s share some recipes for later. My mouth is already watering. I will taste your tangerine peels any day.

post-15704-0-96095200-1375181696_thumb.j

Making font larger for Mary...

Benji is adorable! Anne, you saw my granddoggy howling on FB...I played it for Arlie and he looked all over for her! Out the front window, back patio door, everywhere, cocking his head, he was so puzzled, where did she go?! :D

Making font larger for Mary...

Benji is adorable! Anne, you saw my granddoggy howling on FB...I played it for Arlie and he looked all over for her! Out the front window, back patio door, everywhere, cocking his head, he was so puzzled, where did she go?! :D

Kay, you make my life easier. Thank you. I have only skimmed FB for about 4 minutes today so missed the howling. I had a video of Bentley (when he was still at the breeder's with the breeder's voice on it) and Bentley comes running if I play it. He does the same with Bill's voice though I do not play that often. When Bentley sees a dog on TV and it disappears off to the side he keeps looking at the edge waiting for it to return. :)

Now I am very worried. My Benji had another seizure this afternoon! I took him right to his vet and his regular vet was not their so we saw a new vet – his history was brought up and since his last seizure was two months ago she said they would not start him on seizure medicine unless he has a seizure once a month!! She recommended a fish oil supplement, EFA1N, on his food once a day and said that I should take him to the Veterinary Neurological Center here in the Phoenix area for a work-up. I left the office with 32 pages of medical summaries on Benji for them! Our vets have checked everything on the outside of brain function now they think he should be checked for internal brain malfunction! This is all very, very scary.

The vet who saw Benji today thinks he is older than the almost six years. She thinks he is closer to eight. I asked why she would say that since Dr. Fick, his regular vet, didn’t mention anything like that and she said that you are usually able to tell from the eye examines!

So now I’ll make an appointment with the Veterinary Neurological Center and Benji may have to have an MRI – how do they keep him still – does it mean he’ll be given anesthesia, is it good for him to have to go through all this, does he have a brain malfunction, am I going to lose him??

This is just too awful to think about – I love him so and I can’t bring myself to think of anything bad happening to him. He gives me so much comfort and I know he has helped me in my own healing. So now, I watch and wait like a mother worrying over her child.

Oh my dear Anne, I'm so, so sorry! I just now read your message, and I can only imagine how worried you must be. Please try to take this one step at a time, until you have a definitive diagnosis. I have some idea of how this feels, as my Beringer began having seizures once in a great while as he got older. We never did find a cause, and he was never put on any special medication ~ but each time it happened I was terrified for him. Do make sure that you keep Benji out of that summer heat in the desert. We took Beringer on a walk one day in Scottsdale and he got overheated and had a seizure. It lasted only a few seconds, and when he came out of it we carried him all the way back home. He was fine, and it never happened again ~ but I never took him on a long walk in the heat again, either. Anne, please know that I am thinking of you and saying extra prayers tonight for Benji ~ Believe me, I do know how much you love him ~ and he loves you, too. One step at a time, dear one ~ one step at a time . . .

Dear Anne,

I am so sorry to hear that Benji has had another seizure, and can only echo Marty's "One step at a time..."

I know you are a worried Mother right now, and that until you have more information, it is tough not to jump into worry, but also try jumping in another direction, such as into art, while you await word on the tests. One step at a time, please.

Much Love and
*<twinkles>* for you and Benji, too, that bright-eyed cutie. :wub:

fae

Thank you for your kind message, Marty. My heart just sank when I saw Benji in yet another full seizure today. The price of love. Thank you for those extra prayers.

Your call tonight calmed me, Mary. You, who should be tending to your own concerns, keep reaching out - that is true selflessness and you are a beautiful human being. I have learned and grown over this year because of your thoughtfulness. Thank you, my friend. I can say these things because I know Mary isn't reading posts right now!! Hurry back to WI - safely.

Fae, Mary suggested that I eat chocolate and drink wine!!! She's worried about me and my heart rate!! Just like her...

Thank you for your message. I shall work on the tie mural tomorrow and finish some more colored artist pencil therapy. Actually, I am having fun with it.

I call the vet neurological center tomorrow. I can't imagine I'll get Benji in for a few weeks!! I can't believe they only have two places here in AZ that work on dogs with neurological concerns! I so appreciate the concerns you all have for my/our Benji.