Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't wait to see this at home!

and this is a dog - that God made - Benji is home... :D thanks, Mary, for the video - I am now so happy...His report card was all As - I love him so.

post-15704-0-93298000-1372792105_thumb.j

Benji is precious! Give him love for me...

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-signs-of-cancer-in-dogs-and-cat.html

Since I am the mother of a Golden Retriever and since Goldens are prone to cancer, I read about it and saw this piece on dogs and cancer. I post it for whoever wishes to check it out. I pray Bentley never has to deal with cancer.

Oh, this is so sad - I had mentioned in another thread that Julie, my HOV grief counselor, had to cancel our last visit together and reschedule for next Monday because her precious furbaby, Lexie, had to be taken to the vet. Bleeding from somewhere!

They had to put Lexie to sleep. I do not know the details. Julie will call me tomorrow!! This is so sad. She loves animals. They had two dogs. She loves Benji. Keep her in your thoughts.

Where do grief counselors go when they need comfort and support! Help me rap our arms around her at our 'fire.'

Anne

Oh Anne, that is so sad. I can tell you that my heart goes out to her. She certainly has our support here.

All I can say is that Kathy never got over Mindy who's picture is on my profile these days, and I can never have another dog. Mindy and Kathy were perfect and I will always have that.

Perhaps Benji can help Julie when she is over..

Stephen

I was just getting ready to take Bentley for a walk and the skies opened, thunder and lightning crashed and it is pouring...hard...we have not had significant rain for a few days now...just humidity.

Bentley is sleeping soundly...as he ages he sleeps more and more but when he is awake...it is play time. Time to paint until the rain subsides and until it looks like daytime instead of midnight. :)

Oh, Anne, I am so very sorry about Julie's Lexie, it is such a hard decision to have to make. I will keep her in my thoughts. Mary, my girls do a lot of laying around sleeping anymore, also. Corgis are from a herding breed, and you are suppose to exercise them a lot. However, mine have become really lazy, like me, and seem to prefer sleeping. They are almost 10, so that probably accounts for some of it. Enclosing a picture of them I took Sunday, from my desk. They have floor pillows, but were preferring the floor, guess it felt cooler to them....well going to wrap it up here, and go downstairs to work on the other side of the basement. My granddaughter and I got the garage side cleaned out last week....whoopee, here I go... :(

post-13798-0-77064100-1373388571_thumb.j

OMG, Anne, I am so sorry, that is so hard! My dog is half "Golden" too, Mary, and has a couple of small cysts they are "keeping an eye on" and I just pray nothing comes of it, they are prone to cysts too and most of them are harmless...my whippet had them too.

Mary, your Corgis are adorable, yep, I imagine they're enjoying the coolness of the floor. Arlie and Kitty LOVE the kitchen floor this time of year (it's marble)!

Queen Mary, your fur babies are so cute...and out like lights...what a life, eh? Well, Bentley, as a Golden Retriever should be out retrieving but instead he is in during this heat and retrieves my socks from the laundry basket if I forget to close the door, the towel from the bathroom at 8pm at night, etc.

Kay, Bentley has a couple of cysts also and we monitor. Tested them twice...aspiration...so I also hope and pray.

My Arlie burst through my screen door last night in an escape attempt, so now I must get a new screen for it. They can be challenging in their bursts of energy! :(

Kay, here is the raised feeder...It is a good height. Could be a couple of inches higher but the next one was too high.

post-14525-0-17363700-1374009848_thumb.j

Oh gosh, Mary, he is just so beautiful! Makes me want to wrap my arms around him and take him home! I love Goldens! But then I love most dogs. :)

Thanks, Kay. He is pretty special to me as Arlie is to you. Mary

Bentley is so sweet looking. My best friend in AZ has a golden, and she is the sweetest dog also. I am in love with my Corgi girls, but like most dogs. They are once again sprawled out on the floor, napping. I am taking Faith for her grooming and toenail trimming in about 30 minutes. The groomer was so booked, I cannot get Sassy in until next week. Faith will not be happy, she does not like to ride in the car. Oh, well, hopefully the plumber will be coming this afternoon to install my garbage disposal, and then I am DONE!! I am loving my new dishwasher....it is so quiet that I sometimes think it is not working!

Getting ready today for my first staff meeting with my staff for the play I am directing in September. Looking forward to getting started, today I meet first with set designer, and we talk about the set.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I woke up to Arlie giving me kisses this morning, it was a wonderful way to wake up!

Mary, it sounds like your "plays" are the "art" you do! I'm glad you have that avenue in your life.

Yes, Mary, your plays ARE your art. If you lived here we are surrounded by actors and directors with our American Players Theatre. http://americanplayers.org/

It is one of the major art forms here...you ARE an artist.

I am up and down with tension. Today was busy and busy makes me agitated. I relax and get calm (pre surgery) and then today the head nurse called to go over stuff. Then she said, "Are you Father Friedel's sister?" and I learned her family is one that loves my brother (he was their pastor for years) and know my entire family. I knew this gal when she was 10. So the result is I am not walking into strangers on Wednesday. But the tears are fallling on and off.My brother has a following...no one would believe. When my mom died, her friends were all gone. Mom was almost 100 (3 months short) and my sister and I have been gone from the area for years and lost touch with a lot of friends though several showed up. But there were 800 people at the wake...vast majority were Jim's friends or as I tell them...his groupies.

In an hour I see a client who lost her mom on Monday (huge loss for her) and was laid off from a job that was her life (three months ago with 2 weeks notice) after 40 years there and rising to the top position. (cut backs). She drives 125 miles to meet with me...each way so we do two hour sessions. Right now that feels overwhelming to me. Bill and I saw them years ago. Then a gal is coming to get the lay of the land as the church kids are going to do some gardening for me while I am gone. I have two new trees in my back yard and told Evie, nursery owner, I feel like I need to have a baptism so when I get back the trees and I will have a welcoming ceremony. I am a tree nut, what can I say? They are sentinels....filling the gap where the two trees I lost last summer to wind and lightning stood.

Trying to stay calm...will be glad to see the day end. Too busy and I lose my center. I had my cleaning lady here this morning for 3 hours and a handyman doing three jobs. So I am dizzy. :)

fae, once again....I celebrate your session yesterday. Your losses are huge and deserve time...lots of time.

Kay, I love it that Arlie was awakening you today with kisses yet!!! :)

Mary, you have good company, I too love trees. During the big Columbus Day storm in Eugene, OR, I was a child and my mom found me out in the back yard "trying to hold up the sweet gum tree"! I loved it and didn't want it to come down during the storm. I still feel the same way about my trees all of these years later, and as a child, I was always up a tree, they were my friends!

Your client sounds like she is going through so much, I know it will be draining for both of you, but I'm sure it will benefit her too.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/11_2/features/Canine-Behavior-Myths_16004-1.html?s=FB071913

Interesting piece dispels myths regarding dog behavior and training. Same journal dispels the concept of alpha dog.

Hope everyone is having a good afternoon.

My post is sad, but with a happy ending. Ten years ago, my son recued "Brownie", a young lady of undetermined heritage(Lab-Shepherd?), 6 months old. She was just the best and stayed faithful throughout many bad times he had. After we lost Ron, we decided to make a trip to the cabin for cleanout. All you had to say was "Pinewood" to Brownie & she was ready to go, a true Jeep traveler. As she had done so many times before, she leaped for the jeep, but fell flat on her stomach. Robert thought she had merely knocked the wind out, so placed her inside and proceeded over here. But she couldn't get up or walk. We took her too the nearby vet where it was detemined she had ruptured her spleen. The vet operated & it was touch & go, but her heart gave out. We were devastated for another time in May.

We postponed our trip for a few weeks and discovered upon arriving in Flagstaff that they were having a "rescue event" in the park. Now, you really have to let a dog choose you and while looking around, "Tatum" chose us. She is, best guess, Lab-Border Collie-Pit. also 6 months old, & a big bundle of energy with lots of kisses. She a blessing in our lives, and just maybe, Brownie sent her to us.

Being old, my cat "Batman" would rather ignore here, but he is beginning to tolerate her. When she calms down, maybe they will become friends as he & my black lab were.

I don't do Facebook, but was told there is a picture of us there on Humane Society of Sedona.

Karen

Karen, I am on my way out the door to help a neighbor with something. I went to Facebook...here is the page of the humane society in sedona. I do not see the picture but you may. I am so sorry for your loss and I celebrate your new buddy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Humane-Society-of-Sedona/130031163694353

Hi Mary,

Thanks for adding the link. I found us! If you click on the Photos section, we are in the 17th row down(row below the Fourth of July statement), 2nd picture to the right. I'm in a blue shirt holding a picture and my son, Robert is kneeling with Tatum.

I also saw on the front page where it shows Facebook visitors(right hand side), my granddaughter, Michelle and her new husband, Harvey Pennington. Of course, I can't open the whole picture, not being a member. They are in Kentucky & I have not met him yet.

Karen

Wow! Not being a "Facebooker", maybe I am missing out. LOL I went back to see if my grandson in Kentucky, Paul Bailey was there and he is also, but I see the pictures are moving around. I saw a lot of Robert's friends I remember from school on there also.