Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Beliefs??

I know I talked about this topic before in my post "Life After Death", but I've been really thinking about the spirit world. Of course we all wonder where our loved ones are currently at right now, a spirit as great as they had must still remain somewhere....right? I have experienced certain things after my fiance passed that were just too coincidental. I also talk to him all the time in hopes that he hears me. 

I watched the show "Long Island Medium" that really had me thinking, is there a spirit world and can those who've passed reach out to people such as the woman in the show. Im just so curious about all of this, because of course we all wish to be reunited with our soulmate one day. What are your beliefs??

• Upvote 1

AB  count me as one that is inclined to believe in what you are talking about.  My wife used to enjoy watching Long Island Medium.I hate to keep repeating my same story over and over again. Have you read my other posts where I have mentioned incidents that have happened with an indoor windchime and a figurine with a motion sensor? If you have, I won't take up space by repeating it. If you haven't and are interested let me know and I'll repeat it. But I have experienced some "occurrences" since my wife's passing that would certainly cause one to be curious. 

Having said that, if you are giving thought to pursuing the services of a medium I would suggest strongly that you do some due diligence. You most likely have already thought about this, but considering your vulnerability now, proceeding with caution would certainly be a wise decision. 

19 minutes ago, olemisfit said:

Have you read my other posts where I have mentioned incidents that have happened with an indoor windchime and a figurine with a motion sensor? 

Yes I have read your post, one of the reasons I believe there is indeed life after death. Its still too early to say, but I have thought about contacting a meduim in order to connect with my fiance. Maybe later down the line I will, but for now I'll just continue talking to him and hoping for signs. 

• Upvote 1

Those incidents i mentioned with the motion sensor and the windchime have honestly happened, more than just once or twice. There is no doubt but what I want to believe it's my wife looking in on me on occasion. I don't mind confessing to that at all. But there is certainly something going on here when it happens!

When Tammy died, I had no preconceived notions or beliefs on the idea of the afterlife. Now, with all my heart, I believe that Tammy, in some way, exists and is watching over me and still loving me.

Here's something I wrote last March that may give others some hope...

Mitch

• Upvote 3

Thanks you for the article. The word hallucination was used in the article. I freely admit that i'm no expert on this subject. I only know what i have experienced. And it absolutely is NOT a hallucination. What I have described involving the windchime and the motion sensor have actually happened. More than once with each. At a time wheni was in a different room, with no one else here with me (other than my small dog). I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that i did not imagine it happening, nor was i hallucinating. What is the explanation? I'm sure i don't know. 

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

Even tho I was raised catholic, none of it made sense to me.  For a time I believed in reincarnation in my 20's.  Then I forgot about it.  When my mother died, my first big loss, it hurt but I didn't wonder where she went.  As others passed on in my life I mourned them too.  I never felt any sense of them in any way.  I thought it was lights out, they are now gone.  Now I am challenged in that because it is Steve.  He was/is the person I loved most in the world and my life, I want to think he didn't 'poof' out of existence.  There have been no signs he is here in any way.  I talk to him, but I have no idea if he knows it or not.  I also have no idea if I will ever see him again.  I wish I had that kind of faith/belief I will, but I don't.  Probably why I am having such a hard time facing the rest of my life without him and possibly after that.  I have a friend that says he is trying desperately to tell me he still is a spiritual force.  She also said he told her I was a hard sell on that idea.  He would know!  Maybe it is him because she is open to it, there just us no knowing for sure, no matter what our beliefs.  I can definitely see that those that have that belief of being reunited have more solace and in many ways I envy you.

• Upvote 3

I'm not into mediums and reincarnation but I do believe in life after death.  As was mentioned already, proceed carefully, there've been a lot of them that take your money and speak in generalities.  I've heard some whose experience was negative rather than positive, but our own Maryann (froggie) had a good experience with Long Island Medium herself, and left her reassured by it.

• Upvote 4

Kayc, I just read the post froggie wrote about her experience with Long Island Meduim which reassured me even more that I'm not crazy, that there in fact is an afterlife. I wouldn't mind going to see her myself one day if there is any chance I can connect with my love. 

• Upvote 2

I'm glad you read it, I didn't have time to try to find it before I left this morning.  I think we need to do what we can to bring ourselves comfort and encouragement in this difficult challenging journey, but I know all are not equal and hope you find what you're searching for.  Peace and hugs...

• Upvote 2

I am not sure what I believe...I read once that we are spirit beings on a human journey ....that made sense to me...

The great unknown....I do think Kev sends me signs....I believe very much in God and am a Christian...the world is so complex...life is ornate....the universe is mysterious...the search and the pondering...do good and love I guess is really the point of it all.

I know Kev wants me to move on and enjoy life the best I can. I just don't know how...to do that....

Marie

• Upvote 4

I've had definite signs that I believe could only be Tammy. Could it be wishful thinking? Maybe, but I just don't thing so.

I know some are convinced that there is no afterlife and that's their prerogative. The way I feel is that there is much to life that I don't understand. Even scientists can't fully explain how life began. I mean, think about it, if in the beginning there was nothing, how did anything come to life from absolute nothingness?

That lack of definitive explanation for the universe's beginnings gives me hope that what happens after death is in some ways just as mystifying and amazing.

You gotta have hope. 

• Upvote 5

11 hours ago, Marie Lee said:

I am not sure what I believe...I read once that we are spirit beings on a human journey ....that made sense to me...

The great unknown....I do think Kev sends me signs....I believe very much in God and am a Christian...the world is so complex...life is ornate....the universe is mysterious...the search and the pondering...do good and love I guess is really the point of it all.

I know Kev wants me to move on and enjoy life the best I can. I just don't know how...to do that....

Marie

"Christian viewpoint and comments..."

,Marie, I have people tell me I need to "move on".  Which,in my opinion means I should " get over" the death of my wife and "move on".. This grief is not life scraping my knee or breaking a leg where they eventually heal and I could move on. 

For me, it has been a slow learning process  of "moving forward" in life. I have just begun in the past month to think about how I can best live my remaining days. I pray for the energy and strength, to be willing to grow in this area.  a scripture I read recently, said that I should enjoy my food, my work, family and friends and even a little wine (paraphrased).   I have been so focused on learning how to grieve and cope with the death of my beloved wife.  Our hearts are intertwined.  I don't know what the future will bring but I do know not to make any vows to myself about the future because God holds my future not me.  For know, I ask God," what do you want me to learn today?

I started reading a daily Bible study plan that is helping me to get focused on my priority.  It has been almost two years until I could get back to daily bible study.  I could do a bible verse of the day but even that took me quite awhile to start doing. I most pray, "LORD, please help me?"  - Shalom, George

• Upvote 4

In our meeting last night, one of our directors said she knew it had been three years for her, and she was alluding to the meaning that she should be "getting over it."  I told her no, your not getting over it, you will never get over it.  She is a sweet woman and sort of a beautiful attitude and I don't mean she is hyper at all.  But, she did break down.  I will have to talk to  her.  I had a different reaction last night, actually more anger than usual and I did not hang around and "make friendly" with anyone.  I just plain left, still angry.  This is my chance to regain my faith, why anger?  I will do more exploring.  

One woman had been a member of a church for 26-28 years.  During her husband's illness no one visited or called.  She is very easy to get to know.  No one came after he passed away and she quit going.  This church the meetings are held is the biggest church in town.  I don't know.  I don't know, I just don't know anything.  I know this church has committees that handle all of this, I cannot understand why that other woman's church acted like that.  But, after my dad passed away no one came to see Mama, when she was sick after breaking her hip, no one came.  Okay, I will admit, Mama was sort of like trying to pet a diamondback rattlesnake, but Christian's are supposed to offer help..  Maybe I am old fashioned.  I must be.  

I think there is an afterlife.  I believe that or I would already be gone by my own hands.  I just was not sure if I would follow Billy.  We are taught to believe and it is not something that I really want to question too much.  I think the (legal) amphetamines may have crystallized part of my brain back in the 70's, so I try not to think too hard on such things.  I had rather accept.  It suits me.  And, that's all I have to say about that.

• Upvote 2

Don't know Gin.  My friend went with me last time.  Her husband has been gone 7 years and she is almost completely deaf.  She would have gone with me this time, but I was not afraid to go alone.  A beautiful woman and a wonderful Christian.  I honestly have been on this forum for so long that I just feel like "I know more than they do."  Well, that is putting it bluntly.  I speak up and am not a bashful person, but last night we had a new member her grown son had been found dead in the deer hunting woods on New Years and she has no answers.  She cried and cried and just wants answers.  I feel so bad for those that have lost children and I knew this was going to be a problem with me.  

I have some ill feelings about a Baptist Church, in fact, probably Baptist in general.  It is kind of like I have picked up where I left off the last time I was in church.  I am going to finish out this grief group and maybe my feelings will turn around.  I think hearing about the church the woman had gone to so long and no one came to help her in any way.  I just don't think I want to be Baptist anymore.  I really like the Catholic faith and while I was so ill looking at the cross on the wall and the nun coming to pray over me. (No one told me I was supposed to die, so I didn't.)  I just like the symbolism of this church.  I worked for a Catholic Hospital for 10 years.

I think somehow going into the chapel at the state hospital and them stripping Christianity symbols from this room, I think my anger must have started there.  I wanted to feel a closeness and it was like God was locked out.  But, I do have to remember, there are other religions too.  They have to be recognized.  But walking into that room that day I felt defeat and somehow being in the Baptist Church again, I don't feel defeat so much as anger.  I will finish it out, I will talk to the pastor, but I have to examine myself and my feelings and I think I just did that.  Thanks Gin.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:
13 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

this area.  a scripture I read recently, said that I should enjoy my food, my work, family and friends and even a little wine (paraphrased).   I

Hi George....this is one of my faves...it reminds me that God wants me to enjoy the fruits of my labor and my family...what else is there? 

Thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Peace, Marie

• Upvote 2

Marg, I understand your feelings. I won't post my " soap box" issues with religion in general....but suffice it to say, where are the shepherds taking care of, looking for, helping the " lost sheep"?

Too many big buildings and not enough love..human interaction....

Watched the bishops wife this Holiday...always a fave ..I mean, what's not to love with Cary Grant???

The message was just that...the bishop was so focused on the  big church they wanted to erect that he lost focus on his beautiful wife and family...

Coffee time, Marie

I'm meeting with some widows in our church Monday afternoon...my pastor's wife wants me to start a group where they can talk and know they're heard and someone is there to understand.  Most people don't know what to say to grievers.  

Marg, I'm Baptist, do I need to duck? :)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kayc said:

Marg, I'm Baptist, do I need to duck? :)

Nah, for the time being I am also Baptist, just a backsliding one.

Addendum:  And, I think you will make a magnificent leader of widows.  Actually, I think we only have about 4-5 widows and the rest are there for parents, children, and accompanying other people as visitors.   

I did ask my friend why no men came to the meetings.  She very honestly told me that there were men that had lost their wives, but they usually remarried.  (Sorry guys on this forum, I honestly was hoping we would have some true blue loving men like you have been, but maybe it is a southern country redneck thing that prevails in these parts...........again, it could be because they are Baptists)  Sorry Kay, I had to throw that one in. 

• Upvote 1

Marg, I think the demographics have the Widows outnumbering Widowers by about 20%(Men just don't live as long as woman)........ ...Plus, most Men  tend to be private on their Grieving.....Don't be too hard on my redneck brothers.....

• Upvote 1