Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom

You can't have tea even if it's not black tea?  Wow!  Lately I have been drinking a cup in the evening with a bit of sweetener (not sugar, not artificial) and HWC in it.

Gallbladder is right under the liver, underneath/near the belly button, my surgeon said there's like 13 major organs there.  When they did the ultrasounds they discovered I had ulcers, liver, bronchitis, and my gallbladder was full of stones and non-functioning.  They removed the gallbladder and since I've healed everything else.

Yes, Polly has had serious problems for years because of the botched eye surgery, that's why I've opted NOT to get it!  Granted it was one of the first ones, but still!  They didn't do anything to the doctor, the patients all suffered for life.  She has to be driven, can't see to do simple things, thank God for her husband!  

Here you would qualify for the OR Health Plan (free insurance) and they would cover everything for you!  They're way better than Medicare!

9 hours ago, Tachi said:

I think the surgical ones help.

It has to be N94 or N95, the cheap surgical masks do nothing.  Omicron  seems to be able to make it's way through anything from what I've seen.  So many careful people getting it!  Thank God it's not like Delta!  I pray Peggy doesn't get it.  I no longer worry as I once did, except for those with bad off conditions like the elderly/disabled.  The news announced the other day that 40% of the deaths to Covid are related to Diabetics.

9 hours ago, Tachi said:

Your yard must be a mess. Can you save any of it to burn?

Not on my property, I'd have to burn in the back yard and it has trees near the only flat place to burn so I use my neighbor's and in return I pick up their yard to return the favor...he's disabled, she's still working.  I picked up my entire yard now except what's in the brush and even got some of that, will still have to have Jack do a sweep of my forest for fallen trees (he checks it once a year).  He's my tree and maintenance guy.  I thank God for him, great neighbor to have and very reasonably priced!  Plus he's high energy, you get three times the work out of him as another man.  I learned it doesn't pay to hire the teenager down the street, he's super slow and lacks common sense/teaching.  I now have a pile on the other side of the fence, about 12 ft. from the burn pile, and one along each driveway, it looks much neater now so am VERY happy to have it done!  Now we'll have to load the truck, take it to the burn pile (I have too many trees and am on a hillside) and off load it.  Will do in the Spring.  Right now it's snowing for the next two days/nights, not a lot though.

10 hours ago, Tachi said:

Poor Peggy. She will wait until theres a problem then suddenly need a caregiver.

My friend offered to do it, if worse comes to worse, Peggy will have to take her, I know she'd love her if she gave her a chance!  She's my bestie, along with George (but he doesn't live here), and Iris & Mike, but my beliefs align with Laurel and George, and differ from Iris & Mike.  But you can't help loving people that you know unless they're crochety!

Can you save any of it to burn?

Maybe, they'd be good for banking fires or starting them, they aren't super thick, but very long!  I'd say a good 25 ft.

Sounds like Beverly would be great working at walmart. She could stand at customer service and ignore people, she'd be great. 

That'd be too much work for her, she'd have to drive there and clock in. ;) 

I saw a post on twitter asking why men dont dress stylish anymore.

I don't think it's men, I think it's women too.  I was looking at my hats yesterday, I don't think I've dressed up and worn them since my George was alive!  He loved them!  I have no one to dress up for anymore, and frankly, I'm more comfortable in jeans, it's more fitting with my country lifestyle.  I think it has to do with where one lives and their activities.  Seems only Hollywood dresses up anymore and they look outlandish!  I mean to me it doesn't look good, it looks ridiculous!  Like wow.  And the $ they waste on these costumes, think how many poor it would feed!  My George was a dapper dresser, but he did it without spending much.  I still have his hand stitched Norwegian vest, it's beautiful!  He got it with the tags still on it for $4 at Goodwill!  His find of a lifetime.  He was so proud of it!

Kodie COULD pull a sled with firewood on it, no doubt!  The problem is corralling him to take it where you want it to go!  :D  He is as strong as Arlie, who was 1/2 Husky, 1/2 Golden Retriever and seven times his size!  But maybe it's that I've become more frail and I'd trained Arlie not to pull, he was trainable, Kodie does not seem to be.  He's good about some things, but I can't seem to get him to quit pulling.  He is full grown and already two pounds heavier than his mom and dad, not bad for the runt of the litter!  He doesn't seem a bit fat, very active.

Don't worry about your posts, I always enjoy them, you're a good conversationalist.

I regret that George didn't label his family photos, I don't know who these people are and want to pass them on to his kids.  Maybe their mom will remember them?  Although it's been so many years.  They might be able to find out from his youngest daughter, the only one that turned out normal that I'd feel free contacting, although it's been years.

I hope you remember to stick in the "as is" clause regardless of how you sell it, a friend of mine got stuck for $500,000 PLUS upwards of $300,000 in lawyer fees because she didn't.  And she got scammed.  It sent her full blown into dementia and broke.

We survived the cold. Was down in the teens a few nights but the high today might hit 60. Looks like decent temps the next couple weeks. We got some ice and snow but not much. the roads were bad a couple days.

Yep, I have a note on the refrig door 'AS-IS'. Ran across a place called Redfin that sells houses. They also advert that they will buy it from you and you dont need to do any repairs. granted theyd pay less if you dont repair but if it was a fair price it would be ok. Thinking I should be closer to looking for work before I leave the house so probably be here til summer.

I guess we never think about someone else years later looking at the pictures. I guess i'm odd because i've never been much for them. Not a big fan of memorabilia either. Altho I feel a strong melancholy when I look at the old pics from the 40s and 50s and 60s. But I dont think there's any special secrets to unlock there. 

George sounds like a very smart man. Society hes definitely loosened up and relaxed. People who work in more formal attire and are so used to it might wear it all that day. Society has fallen down alot. Since the 60's it's been 'cool' to be the opposite of the good values. Or to just not care. I havent really cared about clothes etc for many years. Even been cutting my own hair for the pandemic. I'm going to have my dad;s barber cut my hair and ive bought some nicer clothes. Now I need to figure out who dads cleaners was.

how about Beverly work from home as a customer service rep. She could just keep hanging up on people.

yard sounds in good shape. Im grateful for the little ice and snow we got, free water. Im afraid my grass wont grow back in spring but we shall see.

I can have chamomile tea, 'should' have been able to drink the lemon ginger but it was a minor trouble. I have since quieted down in the stomach noticable. near normal. So the irritation must be going away. I even had half cocoa half powdered cappuccino yesterday. And a couple sips of white wine. I'm thinking it will all heal and that i'll eat and drink carefully and in small amounts.

Years ago when we had that Birdflu scare and I worked at Walgreens. We couldnt keep masks in stock. Our Pharmacy mgr and corp mgr told us they didnt do any good. maybe catch larger globules exiting when you coughed or sneezed. Theres been so much deceit related. One example is that when someone passed in the hospitals, some would offer the family a payment if they could list the cause as covid. Family would say that person had 'symptoms'. There was so much of stuff like that going on. I dont need to go out alot and no longer go just to go. But run errands when I need to. If they require a mask i wear one so i can do my business. If its optional then i dont. What I am very curious to see is if it mutates again and what it becomes. I'm just so sick and tired of all the lies, fearmongering and heavy handed policy. Oh well, we shall see.

Hopefully Peggy will take help. Sounds like she would have someone very good. She would be blessed in that. 

Too bad you can't bottle some of Kodie's energy. You would be rich. 

Take good care and stay warm.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tachi said:

Now I need to figure out who dads cleaners was.

Could you look at his visa records or checkbook, however he paid. to find out?

16 hours ago, Tachi said:

how about Beverly work from home as a customer service rep. She could just keep hanging up on people.

:D That she could do!  I've never seen anyone so lazy that wants to get paid for it!

I just found out that the electrical will be off all day, no notice given!  Very upsetting.

Peggy may reach a point where it won't matter what she'll accept or not, she'll be going there, if she falls and goes to the hospital again, that's it.

Good idea, I can get online and check the bank records. The lady who worked there was always very good to him. I always found something odd. Dad would always brag about people being nice to him. Like when his doctor or banker helped him it made him look big and important. His banker was a good guy and took care of dad. When he gave Dad the bank phone number dad swore it was the banker's private line. It wasn't. Almost like he had a lack of something and needed to puff up and be proud from being well treated by a professional. For all the narcissism issues etc he was a pilot and flight instructor, he could do just about anything or make anything in his shop. He was very capable on his own and didnt need to borrow worth from others. 

he also liked being the sole holder of knowledge. Too bad he forgot some things later in life. Ive always believed its better to teach those around you and make them better, pull others up not knock them down. Too bad the world does not agree. 

Crazy they shut the electric like that, should give notice. Good you have the fireplace. Do you have a deepfreeze? I'm not sure how long this freezer would keep food safe. The refrigerator side is almost empty. What about people who have medical devices that are elec powered...

Lunch was bean and bacon soup with chunks of spam. I used to make fun of spam but used it again and is actually good. Tastes like ham but more tender.  I'm trying to keep food simple.

I feel for Peggy. I wonder if elderly understand the tight spot their in. Maybe to Peggy she feels she is ok and just wants to keep on as she has. But doesnt realise whats going on. And that to me is the scary and tragic part, not understanding the changes. 

Wondering about dreams. they say we all dream but dont always remember them. Since Dad passed either im dreaming alot more or im just remembering them. A few the memory lasted into the next day. most i just remember that I had a dream. Nothing scary or sad i dont think. Maybe all the stress is letting them surface.

hows the weather, more snow? 

See if you can get beverly a job in government, I think she would be perfect. Preferably in a faroff foreign land.

Keep warm. We are mostly highs in the 60s through this month. 

Take good care.

• Like 1

During the snowpocalypse the elec. was out over eight days...the freezer had a generator on it on day 3 into 4, nothing was lost.  Refrigerator and inside freezer not so fortunate.  I didn't open the freezer until it was over with.  I keep a SF Dilly bar in the top near the back where the leaky seal is, it never melted.  So I'd say probably four days anyway!  It's always full of food and that helps.

Elec. never went off here, turns out another part of town, they never put anything on their website so I called and made that suggestion for next time, doubt they'll listen, but I tried.  I told them the whole town was upset by it!

Peggy tends to ignore things until they're critical.  For instance, the calluses on her feet, they're 1/2" thick!  I told her next time she gets her toenails cut to have the gal remove some of it, even just the surface part so it doesn't build like that.  She has no common sense, never did.  She can't reach her toes so can't even put cream on her feet or tie/buckle shoes.  I hope someone shoots me before I ever get like that!  She has gained a LOT of weight in the last three years, this is why she can't reach her toes.

Weather is beautiful last week and this coming week!  Not like a February at all.  We were "past the drought conditions" last month, now considered extreme drought!  Funny how quickly that changes.  Not looking good come summer.  Right now I'm enjoying what is.

Yeah, we can think of some countries to send Beverly to!  

Here's my latitude/longitude coordinates (weather) it's been 60s all week, now I see they put the snow forecast back, but nothing to speak of... 
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-122.41158872593141&lat=43.802891161925544

17 hours ago, Tachi said:

Ive always believed its better to teach those around you and make them better, pull others up not knock them down.

I love this!  

We've had a warm winter so far. But today was 32 so I stayed home, really windy. Will run errands tomorrow. 

Brother called me, first time in 6 weeks. Because he needed some information. Lol. We talked a bit and he asked about when the estate sale will be and how much money it will make, told him no idea. I could have had the sale and sold the house already but in no hurry. Will be easier to rent a place if I have a job and not even near ready yet. This is the guy who was gaslighting me on how id get a job after I finish this course. Now he admits it wont, which I told him. And i pointed out that no one will hire me as im too old and he agreed. Good thing I understood at the start. But I must have hope even if its a lie. 

Good thing you can survive if the power goes out. I have a half cord of wood and battery lamps. But i'm guessing youve seen more than 1 or 2 outages so know how to handle it. Id say the elec companies could do better but they dont want to spend the money.

Do you think Peggy is really happy? When not faced with a problem or pain is she somewhat content. I know its pointless but have often wondered if dad was mostly content or if he just sat and was very unhappy those last 4 years. He never shared his thoughts. I dont know how coherent they even were. i get these thoughts and remind myself its done with and no point. 

As well, I pray I pass before I get like that. There will be no money for a good home and no one to take care of me. I will be in a State home or on the street. That isnt living. I wonder if people dont consider the latter stages of Life because theyve never seen it. I know its not a nice subject. 

Crazy weather, we are colder than you folks but tomorrow warms into the 50s. We may get rain/ice/snow next week. I'll do my errands tomorrow hopefully then stay home for awhile. 

I decided i'd get some new clothes. was as frugal as i could be. Just some nice basics. I think it is time I am able to wear something better than jeans and T shoes and a baseball cap. I've always been very casual but should be comfortable in something more. Now I need an overcoat and considering what kind of hat to wear. I havent cared about sports for a few years and tossed out all team apparel. One of my dad's hats is nice but I dont know. Oh well. 

My best friend, like a brother. he is 40s and has met a woman in her 20s. It started as just friends and now its very obvious they care for each other. From the sound of it they get along famously. very happy for him. he had a divorce and a rough time of Life the last few years. Hoping he finds some joy for a bit. Totally unexpected and it makes me laugh.

So how is Kodie doing? Still a bundle of energy I imagine. You could get a small cam and do a Kodie-Cam and people could watch him run around the yard. 

How are all your ailments, the hand etc? easing up?

Funny to me how much I changed after dad passed. I would be up til 3 or so working furiously, get 6 and a half hours sleep and be fine. Now I go to bed at 1 and get 8 hours sleep and wake up tired. Some days i turn my alarm off and catch an extra hour. have to stop doing that. i need to change my sleep habit to where I can go to sleep at 12 and be up at 8. 

Beverly, we should be aware that wherever she is sent may declare war on the states. So maybe a poor small country. 

Speaking of which i'm going to read a bit then crash. Take good care and stay warm. 

• Like 1

Hands are the same.  Yes I think Peggy is content in her own home, making her own choices.  I could help her with the dementia/weight/diabetes but she doesn't want that.  She's very strong willed and doesn't seem bothered by what the future holds, partly because she's in denial, she's always been that way.

Kodie is great, the highlight of my life.  Seriously, he is what is good in life.  Last night I never had time to sit down and relax until after 8 (when I'm usually asleep) so sat down with Kodie and watched an interesting Dr. Phil show...he was watching it too.  It was so cute to look over at him!  Animal Planet used to have good vet shows and Arlie and Kitty would watch with me, I subscribed to it for a month and all the good shows we used to watch are gone so I canceled it.

I woke up at 1 am and couldn't get back to sleep so gave up after 2 and got up.  Maybe I can catch a nap.  Ha, I never do!  Hoping I sleep well tonight.

Peggy hasn't heard hide nor hair of Beverly, she doesn't want to work.  She just wants to squeeze what she can off the elderly.  They call it elder abuse.  I'm glad Peggy finally caught on.

I hope you can find some kind of a job that pays the bills, maybe you can file soc. sec. and continue working enough to supplement?  Maybe that combined with the sale of the house...rent is so high!  I wonder about boarding a room with someone if you could make it work, IDK.  When my daughter's husband decided to get a divorce and SHE needed to leave, she ran into the high rent situation, fortunately a friend of hers just had a roommate bail on her, sticking her with all the bills so they split the rent and she seems happy there, takes half her income but she's making it.
Snow on it's way here https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-122.41158872593141&lat=43.802891161925544

Our weather...so wierd. Today was 81 and tomorrow high 70s. then the next couple nights in the 20s and days in the 30s with possible ice and snow. Ready for Spring. I have some bulbs coming up in the yard and I hope I dont lose them.

Peggy is too late to change it seems. I hope she can be happy til the end. It is very hard for most to change. I know it is for me. Ive been sick enough I have tho. No more alcohol, coffee, black tea or cocoa. Water or koolaid. Its coming around but my stomach is messed up. I think I really did irritate that old ulcer so will take time. Just hope its good by the time they call me for jury duty again.

My dad didnt want to change either, unless it was his idea. maybe the trick is making Peggy think something is her idea. 

Hope you're getting back to sleep well. Ive done that a few times here lately. Used to have two beers before bed so id make trips. Now I quit drinking maybe once a night. But I feel bad when I wake up now, and tired. Oh well. I have definitely changed. 

Do you find that if you manage to get a nap you have trouble sleeping that night? I wonder if its the effects of winter and being inside that causes sleep issues.

I wonder if someone like beverly can be reported, so she doesnt rip off people anymore.

I had rommates most of my life and was never happy with it. now I just crave peace and quiet and solitude. Esp since I know nobody here. If I have to will start pulling SS earlier than I wish and work whatever I can get. That 'should' be enough to get by. Selling the house will give a nice cushion too. Need to figure out Medicare before September and it will be expensive. 

But for now need to regain my health and study and slowly be fixing what I can here and cleaning house to get ready for the estate sale. I worry about it alot but keep telling myself that today everything is ok, so just work on what I need today.

I always wonder what dogs think when they watch TV. He's content just to be with Mom. He is such a blessing. I think he is watching over you.

Wish there were something to help your hands. Mom had arthritis bad and nothing helped her, not even the gold shots. You would think with all they talk about modern medicine being so wonderful theyd be able to do something. 

I think I will be here through most if not all of Summer. Considering cleaning up the flower beds as well as I can and planting flower seed and maybe a few vegetables. need to decide whether to pay someone to fix the sprinkler leak or just water the old fashioned way. Decisions, decisions.

How are your kids doing? Which one was it that had covid? Hope theyre all doing well again.

take good care of yourself. 

• Like 1

I got over 13" snow yesterday, shoveled the first 9 1/4" yesterday off/on all day/eve.  This morning I got up and did the last 4" plus knocked some of the overhang on the carport off and shoveled it and straightened up the driveway shoveling where there were bulges.  Feels so good to have it done!  My hands are killing me.  Then I cut a finger on each hand (my son sharpened them at Thanksgiving), so I'm glad the shoveling is done!

It's to get down to 12 tonight!  High of 35 today, it's in the low 20s now.

I put Voltaren on my hands yesterday evening, it helped, also took Ibuprofen which I try to avoid because it raises blood sugar but Tylenol raises BS and BP, this morning's BS was 97 so I guess all that exercise must have helped!  It raises it in the short term but lowers it later.  Definitely a knack to being diabetic and controlling it!

My kids never got Covid.  My little sister did a year ago Christmas, was sick through Jan. and has some long term effect with hair loss and left size sore but she doesn't let it stop her, she's always hiking!

I suppose I could report elder abuse but it'd take Peggy's cooperation and she never cooperates.

I never nap, can't sleep in the daytime, besides it'd just keep me from sleeping that night.  

The flower beds will help with selling the place too, impressions make a difference!

I used to have ulcers, gone now.  I posted this a couple of days ago:

I can't sing the praises of Keto enough!  I also do Intermittent Fasting (no eating 20 hours, two meals in four hour period).

·         Reversed Diabetes, off meds

·         Reversed Fuchs Dystrophy of the Corneas (night blindness)

·         Triglycerides went from 276 to 93 (normal) in four months

·         Healed Cirrhosis of the liver

·         Lowered Cholesterol, got off statins

·         Psoriasis patch for over 20 years…gone

·         Neuropathy burning, gone

·         Food Allergies 37+ years, gone

·         IBS gone

·         High WBC & Calcium (years) gone

·         Kidney Damage Reversed

·         Asthma, gone

·         I’d stake my life on Keto!  It can reverse dementia and help prevent cancer.  Had tried Weight Watchers, Prism, Mediterranean, and Vegetarian, none did all this for me.

·         Oh and I lost 75 lbs and kept it off and have more energy than ever!

Now, if it'd just fix my hands!  I am hoping in time that my nerves will repair themselves, it could take years or it could be never, but I still hope for it!

9 hours ago, Tachi said:

I always wonder what dogs think when they watch TV. He's content just to be with Mom. He is such a blessing. I think he is watching over you.

Absolutely!  We definitely love our cuddle time!  He means the world to me.  I'm so glad I got him!  

I have Medicare Advantage with United Healthcare (AARP) and do well with it, I pay copays for specialists, would have a hefty payment if I went to the hospital or had surgery but no copays for my PCP and I used to pay on Rxs but I mostly have 3 BP meds and last time didn't have to pay anything, was really surprised!  They also kicked in on my eye exam/glasses.  It doesn't cost any more than the Medicare premium and some even cover the dentist (I go to my own and pay out of pocket, been with their family all my life, third generation now!).  It's subtracted from my soc. sec. automatically.  $170.10/month this year.  It's less than Obamacare was and pays better.  Peggy pays her Medicare and another $400 for supplemental, that's a LOT!  She has the best but I'd be insurance poor if I did that, plus she gets her "deal" through retiring from fed. gov't.  Not sure that's such a deal. 

Stay warm!

9 hours ago, Tachi said:

now I just crave peace and quiet and solitude.

Yep, me too!  I've become more of a hermit lately.  The thought of going on Women's Retreat creates anxiety in me, I can't imagine spending four days and three nights with a bunch of noisy women and someone else's structure and schedule, nada!  Not good for Kodie either.  Maybe one night, but not that long!  Thinking of skipping it.  He'd be overstimulated and also no fenced yard to run in.  I'm already dreading spending three nights at my son's, wondering how we'll handle this, they'll be gone, just me, Kodie, my grandson and granddog.  Kodie can get out of their fence/gate so can't run free, that'll be hard for him.  Plus he'll me Jazzy.  I hope they don't have another dog by then.  It's in June.  I do best if I can sleep at home, they live so far away...

We are back to 50s/60s by day and 30s by night. Warmer than normal but am not complaining. You do quite a bit of work because of your winter. I do not envy your cold weather. This house is cold when its below freezing outside. Ive set it at 68 so i just bundle up. I dont tolerate cold as well now.

Walked the yard today. Those side flower beds that didnt have grass now are full of grass, go figure. And the bulbs I put in have all come up. Dont even remember what I put in. theyre coming straight up with a long green stalk, no branches. 

My best friend got diabetes in his 40s. Ate very healthy for years and now has gotten lazy. Sounds like the Keto has really helped you. Nice to have things in good shape. And good to hear something has helped the hands a bit. My bad area is my back. Thanks to a car wreck long ago it will always bother me.

Medicare...thats about what id planned on paying. Dad had Advantage and it took good care of him. I will need dental i know. Hoping that waits til im covered.

Funny how we crave our comfort. Honestly, I dont see a thing wrong with it though. 

Decided im just leaving my bro alone unless he wants to talk or I need to tell him some business. My confort zone lol. I made a roast and potatoes and veges in the crock pot he sent. Its a really nice one but a bit too big.

I tried to drink Chai mix that I have. Powdered Capucinno and even hot chocolate but I cant get by with it. Im guess the caffeine and the black tea. Going to see if I can find a recipe to make my own Chai but no black tea. 

Faling asleep so off to bed. Gone are the days of staying up real late and getting 6 or 6 and a half hours. Now I sleep 8 hours and have trouble waking up. 

Take good care of yourself, scratch Kodie on the ear for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tachi said:

Those side flower beds that didnt have grass now are full of grass, go figure.

Yeah, it seems grass has a mind of it's own, if you don't want it, it grows, if you do want it, it dies!  :D
I think the older we get, the less our tolerance for cold.  I like mid 70s now.  When it was real cold out (single digit to 20s) I'd wake up to my house being 62 with the fire going!  I can turn it up but then it'll go through the wood and go out before I wake up, so I set it to low and then try to warm the house up when I wake up, either way it'd be cold in here in the morning.  Last night it got down to 46 and my house was 75 when I woke up!  I love that.  It's tricky heating by fire in the Spring, have to leave the door open some of the time so it's not in the 80s!  Been doing this for the most part of the 45 years I've lived here.

8 hours ago, Tachi said:

Decided im just leaving my bro alone unless he wants to talk or I need to tell him some business. My confort zone lol.

I hear ya!  No need to.  Sometimes we have to protect ourselves from toxicity, my mom was challenging.  I can expect more lashouts from Peggy as her dementia worsens.  I wish she'd eat healthy, it'd prolong it.

I like Yogi Honey Chai Turmeric Vitality (caffeine free), I add my homemade coffee creamer to it. 
Homemade Creamer
32 oz heavy whipping cream
2/3 tsp natural sweetener
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
*optional: a few drops of caramel extract (or 1/4 c. pumpkin puree)
It lasts quite a while as I use about 2 T in 20 oz coffee, don't need as much for a cup of tea.  I had a cup last night, so good!  I also like Tahitian Vanilla Hazelnut (caffeine free, Yogi), and Stash Vanilla nut creme tea (decaf also).  I don't like the black tea or ones with caffeine as I like a cup in the early evening right after I eat. Celestial Seasonings Red Velvet Rooibos tea is good too, also caffeine free.
Don't need caramel extract and can make your own spice:
*Pumpkin Pie Spice:
1 Tbsp cinnamon
<1 tsp nutmeg
<1 tsp ginger
¼ tsp cloves

I did one better, scratch Kodie on the belly (he rolls over and waits for it :D )

Have a good week!

Thx for the recipes, will have a try. 

My bulbs are coming up, no idea what they will be. Theyve taken my small pumpkin patch so will need another spot. I will try and clean out the beds and do seed. 

Yes, I used to like a cold morning and to sit on the patio cold evenings. the air feels and smells so good to me. But only do that now when it hits the 70s. Our metablisms slow down among other things. My bro didnt understand why I didnt want to drop the thermostat into the 60s with dad. He wore a sweatshirt over a tshirt with 3 blankets and was still cold at times. I finally got him to try an electric blanket. he never would use one because he thought they ate $100 of elec a month. he finally tried one and seemed to enjoy it. Over the summer he said he didnt want it cause it got too hot. I told him we could turn it down. Sometimes I wonder if perhaps he wouldnt have been better off in a Home. Though I honestly think he would have hated it. 

I will be here at least through the summer and maybe Fall as well. There is just sooo much to study. reading on color theory today and making a webpage easier to gain information. Good stuff. The hard part will be doing several projects and putting them on a website as a digital resume. It's a long process and has to be precise. 

With heat by fireplace do you get that nice fireplace smell or is it just smoke smell? I guess I missed my chance for a fire here. Winter has been so mild.

Dads buddy came by to get the modelling supplies i'm donating to the club dad was in. They scratchbuilt from plans balsawood planes and flew them powered by rubberbands. He keeps suggesting nicely I keep alot because of memories and telling me they still have his dad;s house. he doesnt listen when I tell him I cant afford to do that. In fact selling the house may be all between me and the street. Funny how he and my bro who both make over 6 figures are free to suggest me going broke. they forget alot of people dont make good money. I will be thankful just to find work.

So far as ive found chamomile tea is the safe one for me. I would think lemon giner would be but it affects me a little. maybe the spice quality. Black tea is def out as is caffeine and hot chocolate. next will be these homemade chai and etc. No caffeine is promising but will see how the spice does. I'm hoping in time it will heal enough that I can have my chai again. We shall see.

Take good care of yourself and kodie of course.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tachi said:

With heat by fireplace do you get that nice fireplace smell or is it just smoke smell?

I guess I don't notice because I've heated with wood for 44 years!  That and my allergies often have my nostrils stuffed up.  I love it when they're clear, but normally wake up to them stuffed.  Makes it hard to do my breathing exercises for my BP...I have discovered mustard helps, either dry mustard just inside nostrils or I can put mustard oil in water and steam it, breathe it in (that takes longer but is kinder to the nostrils).  
I do NOT like ginger tea, just gave mine away.  Don't recall chamomile tea.  I like Honey Chai Turmeric Vitality, Vanilla Nut Creme, Tahitian Vanilla Hazelnut, Red Velvet Rooibos, but can't find any but the chai so just bought some new ones (Amazon and WM).  Didn't care for Jasmine, gave it away.

My BS was 120 this morning, been up four days now, in the middle of the night 118 (usually 90) and it's not what I'm eating, still walking, it's stress, but never affected me this long before.  Stayed home yesterday/today, trying to relax a bit (haha, just got done vacuuming!) to me just being home is good.  I have too many clamoring for me to do things, sister wanting me to be executor, keep telling her no, at my age I don't think I'm up to it, she's pretty headstrong...of course she's leaving me nothing, let someone else do it, I've done everything for her!  Was there four times last week, also working at the church day after day, have to take Iris to Costco, etc. Thursday (Wed. is snow), 120 mile round trip, I pay for gas, her lunch (her idea) if I didn't go at all I wouldn't spend anything and I don't need anything in town!  So, aggravating, she doesn't have a Costco card, not my problem, she can afford Amazon prime, which I don't have, why not Costco!  I just feel everyone wants from me and it's never reciprocated.  That's a lot of my stress.  I try saying no and people get upset if I resist.  :(
I really wish you luck with your studies and website design/resume!  I'd never even attempt such a thing!  My brain feels tired thinking about such.  I am NOT a techie!  In my day I loved Office Mgt and Bkpg, but definitely feel there comes a time to be retired!  I'm on grief and diabetic groups, studying health, an average of 7 hours/day, that's more than full time, it's my purpose and passion, plus taking care of Kodie.  HE is my de-stressor!  

I went to my grandson's 5th bdy party Sun. out of town (poor Kodie had to stay home), it was so good to see the kids but all too brief, my daughter is moving back to her old apt as her hopefully soon to be XH moved to be with his GF (he announced to her on Christmas...always on Christmas with him!) and her roommate can no long afford to live where they've been so that worked out, I hate the location although the apt is nice, much smaller than she's been in though.  I LOVED where her and Becca were, Kodie and I enjoyed the beautiful trails, etc. there.

197970471_Vincent5thbdy-1.thumb.jpg.1da3e4eb5763dc8a7ac90f3c8d2eaeb2.jpg

I get the feeling he's going to eat the entire cake by himself in one sitting lol. Nice looking little guy, hope he had fun.

Never thought of using msutard but makes sense, will have to keep that in mind. For so many years I could only sleep on one side, otherwise i couldnt breath. But since dad passed I sleep on my back or the other side and its ok. the side I used to sleep on I now get psiatica, which i hadnt ahd for many years until dad passed. many things seem to have changed.

I was drinking the lemon Ginger tea and chamomile, which is mild and good for sleep. I had given up real coffe for the powdered cappucinno. Was having stomach issues. then went to a mix of Cjais and cappucinno and a lil cream that was so heavenly. And of course thats when my system decided water only. maybe one day i can drink it again.

It does sound to me like too many people are relying on you to do things that can be done by them or others. Im learning, you have to take care of yourself first. you just cant ruin your own health. No one will look out for you but you. It's ok to say no or present other alternatives. may ruffle some feathers but thats ok. 

Ive always been a pleaser, like my Mom, an enabler I guess. I tried to avoid conflict and so tried to make people laugh and like me. i let people walk all over me. Ever since I was a kid I only had two speeds. get walked on or fight. I never learned whats in between where you stand up for yourself in a decent way. i just never learned it. Its one thing I truly hate about myself. 

I'm guessing I wont get a job from this. They teach a very basic outline. Everything I will need to get a deeper understanding on my own. i do enjoy it very much. But along with my age I just dont see getting hired. So i'm going to plan on starting on SS at the end of the year and working somewhere as much as SS allows. I'll do my best to avoid retail. But for now I have to fix my health all around.

Going to clean up the flower beds once it gets a bit warmer. Do some pumpkins and morning glories from seed. One more summer in the yard.

Hoping it all works out for your daughter and she finds happiness. have been thru it and isnt easy. 

I bet kodie is ready for spring and playing outside. I wonder if he notices when the snow is gone? Do they wonder at the changing of the seasons. just like when it seems they are watching Tv and such. 

take good care of yourself, and kodie. he is a real blessing.

• Like 1

I think dogs pretty much take things as they come, he doesn't seem to care if it's raining, sunshining, or snowing.  It's easier for Huskies to tolerate cold than heat.  He LOVES the snow!  

We've had very high wind storms the last two days & inbetween, I picked up branches all weekend, good for my blood sugar but hard on me!  I feel so tired since the time change, I wish they'd discontinue switching it back and forth!  We voted to dispense with it and stay on DST but OR is waiting on CA to do the same and they're not.  Why wait?  Other states are different, I don't understand how that has to influence our decisions!

I do better sleeping in my reclining loveseat than laying flat on a bed.  It supports my back well and I breathe better.  A doctor told me that it's better for your heart if you sleep on the left side, but when I wake up, I'm on my right side! 

I'm enjoying my teas, not as much as my coffee but if I had to quit coffee, they're better than nothing!  Gave my sister my black teas and a friend my ginger teas, also gave away the Jasmine, just don't care for them.  Saving green teas for summer iced tea!

I have been trying to say no more often, and get my sister to do what she can, she's doing better but with dementia it's always going to flop in the end.  :(  My mom took care of herself all but the last three years and didn't get into dementia care until thee last two years, so the last year alone was scary.  We had a lot of mess to clean up, like her paying a bank instead of her insurance, or discontinuing meds even though I'd drive 120 mile round trip to put them in her "days of the week" pill container.  Geez, and I can't even get my kids to call or come here.

I hope things work out for you financially.  Maybe if you can hang onto the $ from the sale of the house and use it a bit at a time, now's not the greatest time for investing/IRAs as everything's been taking a nosedive, but hopefully this is temporary.  I'm concerned as I'll have to start taking out of mine in a year and it doesn't allow me time to let it recover!  I think they should make an exception to this mandatory rule considering the huge nosedive we're taking!

Vincent just had one piece of cake initially, not sure what they did on the 10th, his actual birthday, but probably a little something.

My BS was 91 the last two mornings, probably because of all the heavy exertion I've done picking up branches the last two days!  I'll take it while it lasts.

My Gladiolus are coming up and one has a bud ready to blossom. Guess i forgot where i planted those. Did some clearing on the flower beds today. I need to mix in some manure or soil and then will plant seed. I love nandina but would have to get them from the nursery and no use doing that expense since im moving.

My best friend found out in his 30s he had become diabetic. he started to eat right and lost alot of weight. But now he cheats on his diet with fast food. he has a deteriorating hip he should replace but they wont because of his diabetes. 

Working in the yard is indeed good exercise and the fresh air and being outdoors is really good. I suppose thats the price you pay for living in the beautiful forest.

I guess love of cold is in them. theyre cold weather dogs. Just like cats are finicky. maybe we should learn a lesson from Kodie and not care what season it is or what weather we get. 

Do you folks get the high winds alot? We have been getting some spring gusts the past few days and a few wildfires.

I would be fine if they stopped messing with the time. I seem tired alot. But then im getting little exercise. i have to change that. used to be I slept 6 or 6 and a half a night and was fine. Since dad passed i do 8 most nights and wake up tired. 

It's hard to get someone with dementia to be consistent i think. Of course dad never really talked about his challenges and struggles so i never knew for sure what was going on. But there were times that were crazy and I never want to go through what he did. I hope and pray Peggy doesnt get too bad. I would notice that people would get me to do alot because i would. I need to change myself in that regard. 

maybe they should make a recliner specifically for sleeping. That makes sense tho, considering flights seats in jets and spacecraft are like recliners. just very expensive. I used to sleep only on my left side, but now my psiatica kicks in alot so i turn.

My thought is that i will probably need to file for SS and just take whatever job i can get that gives me 40/week. I dont think what im studying will work. i like it but theres just not enough time I think. 

Ive been looking at the estate again. i hate the idea that some things are real valuable and would sell at an estate sale for a few bucks. Theres a Limoges service set with gold trim. Ive checked the markings on the back and they check out. Mom was given those before I was born. I need to find out who to go talk to. Im afraid there are some things here that shouldnt be in an estate sale. maybe even ebay but preferable someone close.

take good care of yourself. Hopefully the good BS lasts and you get some good weather.

• Like 1

BS was up again another day (119), no apparent reason, this morning 114, I'll take that, just don't want 120s.

We've been getting high winds this winter, for sure!  It didn't help that they clear cut trees at the end of the street so the wind comes up through the canyon and blows through here!  Plus the extreme heat and drought weakened the trees so we're getting a lot of branches down. Drought is worse after February so this summer may be bad again, not looking forward to it.  The only place I have to go for fire evac  now thatt my daughter's moving is my son's, I'd prefer not as I'd be left w/my DIL.  Will see, one day at a time.

I'm pretty sure they do make recliners for sleeping as they make some that assist you getting up.  I've been sleeping in my loveseat recliner for 17 years now, it's broken on one side, getting worn out but still comfortable.  It was me and George's first piece of furniture, I hate to let it go.  If I knew someone who could fix and recover it...

You might find a specific buyer on eBay, if they know the value they'd pay more, I would try it!  I need to list my shoes/boots that are too big after I lost weight a couple of years ago.  I also need to list my cardmaking tools, some of it is worth a lot but will get a fraction of the price.  I wish I knew an eBay store in Eugene I could take stuff to as I don't have the desire/will to do it myself.  I sold stuff on eBay for years, they've made it harder since the pandemic.  To list one valuable is one thing but to do a room full of stuff is something else.

Supposed to snow today, won't be much I don't think.  

I got my wood pile burned yesterday, worked all afternoon/eve. on it, Jack lost the silver clasp for my gate, Kodie can open it without it, haven't heard back from him.  I imagine he put it in his pocket and then it fell out while moving/burning wood.  It was my husband's, very unique and worked great for the gate as well as looked nice.  I have a temporary carabiner but it's not nearly as nice or handy.

Hopefully this summer will be better as far as fires. I've read several places that we are in an overall cooling trend and a dry trend. It sure needs to behave itself and share the rain. Do they have community shelters where people can go if need be?

Sounds like your BS is pretty good overall. makes me wonder if any of the tests they ran on my dad checked for that, I assume so. Do you take medication? 

Got a lemon pudding cake at the store, very good. I cant stand the sugary icing on most cakes so havent had one in forever. Reading about color theory. Alot of the areas that i need for this UX Design also cross over into my art ive been doing. the color and design theory, the gestalt and cognitive psychology.

Today is a beautiful and sunny 82. Taking a  break in a bit and prepping my flower seed beds.

The wind there sounds like the city I used to live in. Lubbock, out in the Tx panhandle. Winds can blow down the great plains straight into town. they get dust storms and the temp can be 80 in the day and by night its 30.

I bet you could find someone to fix it, no idea the cost though. It's worth keeping I'd say.

Too expensive for him tho. We almost got dad a recliner that helped him up. I worried once it got him up he would fall. We really were lucky he didnt hurt himself worse. I think sometimes about the end. What if we hadnt done the feed tube. But the swallow therapy wasnt working so I think he would have had to do the tube eventually. he couldnt stay in the hospital forever just for swallow therapy. It may sound bad but I think he was just broken down enough that it was his time. My regret was that he never got to come home. If we had more time maybe we could have let him come home to pass. But thats all moot now.

Ive looked for that Platter, and is a entire serving set. Cant find the pattern anywhere. that makes me think its rare and valuable. Thats half the battle I guess, finding out if it's worth doing. Finding which pieces are valuable. Someone suggested looking on Replacements.com but I never found it. Someone else suggested finding a broker locally to come out and tell me the things worth the time. But not to sell to them. Also check another buyer. I know they sure dont do that for free. My anxiety is that im thrown into this, dont know things and have no one I can really trust. I feel ive already sold the jewelry too cheap. But no way of knowing. Maybe I should just go get someone to come out and look. Would love to have someone buy the furniture. 

Seems nice youre getting snow. I always picture a nice quiet snowfall. When it snowed at my old house in Lubbock i'd go out and walk in the yard. love the way snow softens the appearance of the trees and bushes. I doubt the next place I live will have a yard for me. hoping a patio at least or balcony.

Did he ever fix your gate? hate when old mementos get lost. just no replacing em. 

was considering making a pot of chili but didnt know if it would kill me, even though I make it mild. You ever make a pot of homemade chili? Or is chili even popular up there?

Well, back to studying. Hope all is well. take good care and tell kodie I said hello.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Tachi said:

Do they have community shelters where people can go if need be?

No.  I'd have to go out of town and my daughter wouldn't be able to have Kodie in the apt. she's moving back to.  My son has a fence but the gates only accommodate larger dogs, Kodie can easily get out.  Also his wife doesn't allow animals on furniture (except their dog) so Kodie couldn't sleep with me.  It'd be hard.

I made this one, will make again, using the lemon option at the bottom, it was really good!

Keto Vanilla Berry Mug Cake

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon butter melted

2 tablespoon cream cheese

2 tablespoon coconut flour

1 tablespoon+ granulated sweetener

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon baking powder

1 egg - medium

6 frozen raspberries

INSTRUCTIONS

1.  Place the butter and cream cheese in your chosen mug. Microwave on HIGH for 20 seconds.

2.  Add the coconut flour, sweetener, vanilla, and baking powder. Mix well. Add the egg. Mix again

3.  Scrape down the sides of the mug, then press in 6 frozen raspberries into the cake batter.

4.  Microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds w/1200 watt microwave (more if 1,000 watt)

1.5 total carbs w/o raspberries (add 1.38 with them)
Can make without berries, add ¼ tsp lemon juice concentrate, Add a dollop of whipping cream!

image.png.4f5910c94b62773b9c06416c6e20475e.png

https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-vanilla-berry-mug-cake/#recipe

My sister died yesterday morning.  Didn't get to sit down until 10 pm (I'm usually sleeping at 8), didn't sleep much.  People bombarded me yesterday!  Went and cleaned out her refrigerator and took out her garbage.  Her best friend discovered them removing her body (Medic Alert triggered but they told me NOTHING!...they always have in the past!  Said hippa laws...)  You shouldn't get a robotic "Medic Alert" call with NO INFORMATION ON IT, no one you can talk to or find out anything from!  No way to learn of a death.  Her poor friend, I'm going to call her this morning.  She is like a sister to Peggy.  

Her 1995 will was on the table, she never got her revised one done.  I'm named executor, I'm not up to the task, nor am I up to cleaning out the place with these hands.  I will have the family come and take the mementos they want and we will spread their ashes, she's at the mortuary (sheriff got to pick the one, they wouldn't leave it to the family even though I was her contact!), will have to pay for cremation, no one is on her bank account, no one is POA.  I took her will for safe keeping.  The sheriff went through EVERYTHING in her house!  He didn't come up to my house to notify me until 3:00 pm, it was 9:30 am when she died!  By then, I'd been on the phone notifying people all day.  I need to call her friends, hasn't been time, my little sister had it all over FB yesterday while Polly and I were dealing with things on the phone...

Peggy young woman.jpg

Peggy as little girl.jpg

• Sad 1

Been down there for two days, going back today too, making a lot of headway, no family help so far but my brother has agreed to be executor, thankfully!  I'm exhausted, they lived there nearly 50 years and didn't throw anything away, there's no place local to give things too.  Getting a dumpster dropped off today.  So much to do!  So many phone calls and cleaning out...

• Sad 1

So very sorry to hear about your sister. She is at peace now. 

Glad your brother is helping out. It sounds overwhelming esp at this time. The sheriff and all sounds so odd. But much to do. Know that you are in my prayers. Hopefully some of the family will come help you. It's amazing how much stockpiles over time. Hang in there and pace yourself. Take good care of you. Good thing you have Kodie. He will take good care of you. 

Thank you for the pictures, she was a cute kid. 

And thank you for the recipe. I am in the middle of a store bought vanilla pudding cake. I should have frozen half. Made a pot of chili yesterday, crossing my fingers. used amazon fresh ground beef and it smelled different. I wonder if they slipped fake beef in on me.

Randomly picked up two Bibles in my folks closet. One was my great aunt and Uncles given to them by a relative I dont know. It has some lineages of that side  going back into the 1800s. There are many passages lined in pen. Im keeping this one.

My brother gifted me yesterday with a years membership at a website for design. They appear to have some good classes that will benefit me greatly. 

The leaves are out in most trees. Some flowers coming out. Working on prepping the flower beds and will put seed down. have to be very careful how much I water this summer. Will see

Dont worry about asking family/friends for help.

I know you're a tough lady but please take care of yourself.

• Like 1