Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Getting On Top Of My Health

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update on our Kay. I just got off the phone with Kay. I was shocked that she called. I expected a call from her friend.

The surgery is over. She is still in the hospital. It took awhile for her to wake up. The doctors are monitoring her before they make a decision to let her go home.

She said that she is happy to be breathing on her own!!! She kept thinking about Arlie and finally she woke up.

I will hear later if she gets to go home.

She has been up once and is glad that the only pain she'll feel now is that of healing.

She thanks everyone for their prayers.

Anne

I had some complications yesterday as they almost lost me...I was over-anesthetized and my breathing kept stopping. This went on for hours as they monitored me, I couldn't get awake and breathe, it was scary. My thoughts of Arlie is what made me fight to live and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do...it was scary. It would have been easy to succumb, but I have my dog and two cats to take care of, I need to live.

My neighbor just dropped me off at home and didn't stay with me at all. I was feeling pretty low last night, having just been through such a scary experience and feeling like I didn't have family/friends to be there for me. Is it any wonder that the first one I called was Anne? You all, here, are my true friends, the ones who understand and care.

I was afraid to go to sleep last night for fear of not waking up. It was a good feeling when I woke up at 4 am and was still alive! I knew then that I'd made it through the hump. I was able to build a fire last night (I had everything right there and ready), and had a little jello and 1/2 bowl of soup, I even ate a roll later on, a little at a time, and managed to hold it down. I vomited this morning, but I hadn't taken an anti-nausea pill yet. Amazing how you can get a gall bladder removed, only eat 200 calories that day, and gain 7 lbs. in one day! That's my luck! Can't worry about it, I'm on so many dietary restrictions right now I can't worry about anything but taking care of myself and living.

Missing Arlie...

And it looks like I'll be alone on Christmas as they predict snow all week, starting today, they've upped the amounts predicted.

Kay dear, we are all very happy that you are home and we know that you will sleep and rest for the next few days. I hope you will be able to see Arlie for a little while today.

Get Well Wishes Are Sent To You!

from all of us.

Oh Kay. There will be a lot of happy and relieved friends today. I am so sorry you had such a hard time. They should have kept you overnight. That is great that were able to eat a little something. I wish I could come take care of you. Thank heaven for this place to be able to stay in touch. Do you think your daughter will be able to make it with the weather the way it is? I do hope so. I know you miss Arlie, he will back before you know it, as soon as you are ready for him. I hope your day goes well and that you begin to feel better. I will check back with you again. Get good rest.

Dear Kay,

So glad you are home. Yes, I've had that breathing problem before in other surgeries, but I can only imagine how scared you were there alone in the hospital with no one to stay with you and monitor you full time.

Sending healing, loving thoughts your way, dear one.

fae

I've discovered I have a deep bruise to my chest bone (as in thrust to my chest to get my breathing restarted)...something they did not disclose to me that they did. It's very sore and today it has some discoloration. It makes me very nervous to go back into a hospital again as I feel I don't trust them to be honest with me.

Arlie is having a good time at the neighbor's, he told me all about Arlie's "talking" to him (he uses different tones and conversation for different things such as morning conversation, chewing you out for not doing something he thinks you should have, telling you about his day, etc.). It's really cute, and he's enjoying him. Since it's supposed to start snowing, I imagine the dogs will have a ball playing in it tomorrow.

Missing George, knowing he would have taken such good care of me...sigh.

My dear Kay, I'm so sorry this was such a terrifying experience for you ~ I simply cannot imagine. We're all so very grateful that you are home, and still here with us. Please know that we are here with you, too ~ holding you close. Get lots of rest, and feel better soon.

graphics-get-well-soon-362033.jpg

I talked to the nurse that gave the chest thrusts, she told me I was screaming and writing in pain and then stopped breathing. I don't remember any of it but I don't think it was pain, I think it was the drugs, they overdosed me. It couldn't have been pain, I wasn't in pain in recovery, I was very doped up. It did take hours before I was breathing normally on my own, it kept stopping. VERY scary experience, and then to come home and be alone with no one to care for me...not good. I had a gentle but firm talk with both of my kids today. They need to know that as self sufficient as their mother is, there are times they need to be here for me...this was one of those times.

Good for you, Kay ~ I hope they listened. When you're as independent and as self-sufficient as you are, it's too easy for your kids to think you're never in a position to "need" them. They're way too used to you being in the mother role, being there for them, and it just doesn't occur to them that it's a two-way street. It's one of the prices you pay for being such a strong, independent woman (in their eyes, at least, no matter how NOT strong you may feel inside). That's why we need to remind them sometimes that we are human, too, and sometimes we need their help. Besides, it's good for them to be put in a position of being the helper once in a while. Think of it as a gift you're giving to them this Christmas: the gift of the opportunity to be there for you when you need them. It will make them feel good, too.

Kay,

Merry Christmas!!!

I hope you are doing well today, resting and taking it very easy.

It has been three weeks for me, and I am still weaker than I expected, and sleeping more than I anticipated. You take it as easy as you can, and ask others to do things for you, even if you need to ask three or four people. Honor your precious body with gentle care and lots of rest.

We are all watching you and sending healing wishes to you.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Merry Christmas Kay. I am sorry you had such a bad experience. All these drugs they dole out are not always good to us. I am glad you don't remember all of it. You just take it easy and try to have a good day. Get a lot of rest and naps. Hope your daughter will be able to make it at some point. Thinking of you.

Shalady

It has been very hard not having anyone here for me and going through this experience. All I can say to my family is SHAME ON THEM! They all "care" but have their excuses. Excuses don't do me any good. They could have lost me! And I still could use the help. I'll hobble by, sure, like my sister said, I'm innovative, but that doesn't mean I should have to be! The biggest help I needed was someone to take care of my very large dog, at least I have that. He is down there playing in the snow with my neighbor's dogs, having a ball...it'll be a couple more days before he starts really missing me and that's going to be hard because I still won't be ready to take care of him. He'll need to be there a couple of weeks. And it'll probably be another week before I can take him on walks, I'll have to take him to the truck and drive him to the neighbor's to run and play in his fenced yard another week after I get him back. There are some things I can't do, I'll have to try to get someone to bring wood up on the deck for me. I can't drive, someone will have to go to the store for me. Housework will have to wait.

I was all set to watch t.v. Christmas eve when it went out. So I went to sleep instead.

Good thing you can post here. Imagine how worse it would be without a computer. Yikes. Is your tv back?

I am also alone today, Christmas, which is hard. I do have my two dogs (hence, not "alone" - they are better than humans, frankly), and my friend who was going to her mother's for dinner brought her 2 dogs over to be with mine, so I have the four of them, all of whom are sound asleep.

Rita

post-914-0-08615400-1419569647_thumb.jpgTV is back, I think it was the weather.

Arlie is Siberian Husky and Golden Retriever...130 lbs.

Oh Kay I've been too busy with family to look properly but I jst had to send my ,ove to you and so sorry it was such a lonely ordeal and it shouldn't have been. As Marty says your family obviously see you as one strong woman but this time you needed and still need someone with you. Keep recovering. I hope you and Arlie will soon be together again. Jan