Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after 1 year

KATPILOT and I were able to meet up yesterday and there is a spark in my heart and soul that I have not experienced since before my precious, Rose Anne died, 23 months ago, today. (sorry,I'm a numbers person).

Since I was a child, I have always wanted to fly airplanes.  I have been fascinated with the fancy of flight. I wanted to be a fighter pilot but because I wore glasses( near-sighted), I am disqualified.  

When I was in the Navy, I went through flight ejection school and was supposed to fly in the B/N (Bomber/Navigator) seat of the aircraft I worked on ( A-6E Intruder). I passed the course but the flight was cancelled.

In my thirties, my wife, Rose Anne, wanted to surprise me with a Discovery flight but the cost was prohibitive. I am now 61 and thought I was just too old to fly. 

I met with KATPILOT and his son and saw his plane.  I watched them taxi, test the engines, and take off.  The sound of the plane and the thrill of flying has been rekindled.  I don't know if I'm too old or too fat to fly but I'm going to find out.  It's expensive too.  But I know that if there is a will there is a way. 

About a month ago, I was looking on the internet and my phone for a Flight simulator program.  I found a couple on the phone but it is not the old true cockpit simulator. 

Yesterday, I watched videos, of many people learning to fly and I am truly bitten by the bug. It doesn't take away the fact that I still miss my wife but it stirs a passion, hope and drive for today and tomorrow that I have not had in a long time.  This really excites me.  I would rather hope and pray I can fly than talk myself out of it.

My hope and pray is through working through your grief, someday, somehow a spark will be kindled in you as this has been in me. 

Thanks, KATPILOT for the opportunity to meet up. Rose Anne would love for me to pursue my lifelong dream. - Shalom, George  

• Upvote 7

31 minutes ago, iPraiseHim said:

it stirs a passion, hope and drive for today and tomorrow that I have not had in a long time.  This really excites me

Oh George, could it possibly be, mighten it really happen, would we hope that some sort of mystical magical word like "enthusiasm" might come into your life?  You see, we know how low we all have been and when we see someone that looks forward with a little hope, it makes me think it is possible for any of us.

Thanks George and I sure hope you can maneuver things into position to make this happen.  Sounds wonderful. 

Addendum:  And just think, you got to meet the mythical KATPILOT along with his son, and he got to meet the mythical IPraiseHim also.  See, we really are real people.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Marg M said:

Addendum:  And just think, you got to meet the mythical KATPILOT along with his son, and he got to meet the mythical IPraiseHim also.  See, we really are real people.

LOL, you are very funny, Marg.  :lol: I never thought of myself as mythical...  I guess it would fit my flying theme!

• Upvote 2

Oh George, I hope you do this!  I'm behind you 100%  Isn't Steve the greatest!  We are so lucky to know him!  

It's so important to find and pursue a passion, to do it for ourselves!

• Upvote 3

On 1/16/2017 at 9:18 PM, Widowedbysuicide said:

Great news!  I'm thrilled to think you can fly George!

yeah. Just wait until you see my picture... I think I do believe in miracles.  lol

• Upvote 2

On 1/16/2017 at 2:07 PM, Marg M said:

Oh George, could it possibly be, mighten it really happen, would we hope that some sort of mystical magical word like "enthusiasm" might come into your life?  You see, we know how low we all have been and when we see someone that looks forward with a little hope, it makes me think it is possible for any of us.

Thanks George and I sure hope you can maneuver things into position to make this happen.  Sounds wonderful. 

...  See, we really are real people.

I have been more hopeful this week than I can remember.  It is so odd to be both joyous and grieving at the same time.  I never expected this so it really has caught me by surprise.  However....

Today has been a return to the former dark cloud times. The reality of not being able to start right away, some physical pain, and just emotional blahs have dampened the mood.  I know this is part of life. I've had this roller-coaster of emotions before.  My dream is still there and I have found some information to study and practice. Now I will just need to search for another way to solve the financial issue. 

It seems almost frivolous to spend so much money for a part-time hobby but I get joy just thinking of the possibly of flying out somewhere for fun, food, and fellowship.  I am getting excited again just writing about and I've been mopey all day. 

I post this to show the reality of this grief we walk as well as the unknown opportunity that awaits us in the future.  No matter what your thought or beliefs there is always hope for the next day... new mercy.  Hang in and hold on.  - Shalom

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, iPraiseHim said:

I post this to show the reality of this grief we walk as well as the unknown opportunity that awaits us in the future.  No matter what your thought or beliefs there is always hope for the next day... new mercy.  Hang in and hold on

Words for us to live with and live by.  Thanks George.  Today has been sorta tsunami instead of gentle waves hitting.  

• Upvote 3

Well, I am starting my morning off on my little road trip.  One of my "just go" trips.  First one terrorized me.  Second one I really enjoyed.  I think I will take a Xanax before I go.  Don't worry, I've driven often after taking one.  People are safer if I have had one.  

Will see if that helps or harms. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Marg M said:

Well, I am starting my morning off on my little road trip.  One of my "just go" trips.  First one terrorized me.  Second one I really enjoyed.  I think I will take a Xanax before I go.  Don't worry, I've driven often after taking one.  People are safer if I have had one.  

Will see if that helps or harms. 

Enjoy your daytrip Marge. While i was truckin' i spent a few years driving for a company that was based in Sibley. Lots of pretty wide opens over there in your neck of the woods. Have a safe, enjoyable day.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

Darrel, Billy retired as supervisor of the lab for DOTD.  We moved to AR for 18 years and I came back trying to find an essence of what used to be our life.  I am home, but he is not down here either.  We still reach for things though. AR was home as long as he was there.  He left, I left.  Lots of flat land and water here.  Interstates being worked on all the time, must be this mudbug/crawdad mud in this part of the country that makes you truckers have to wait in long lines.  Will see how tomorrow goes. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Marg M said:

Darrel, Billy retired as supervisor of the lab for DOTD.  We moved to AR for 18 years and I came back trying to find an essence of what used to be our life.  I am home, but he is not down here either.  We still reach for things though. AR was home as long as he was there.  He left, I left.  Lots of flat land and water here.  Interstates being worked on all the time, must be this mudbug/crawdad mud in this part of the country that makes you truckers have to wait in long lines.  Will see how tomorrow goes. 

I must have either mis-read a post or made a wrong assumption.What is the old saying about assuming something...? I was under the impression you were in Louisiana. Sorry bout that. in the military a favorate saying used to be "hurry up and wait". It was every bit as true in the trucking world. UGH!!

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

No, I moved back to Louisiana as fast as I could.  My mom was ill, and  this was our old home, born, graduated, married, kids graduated here too.  Sister is here.  Nothing in AR without Billy except a house and I leased it.  Don't want to go back period.  I live in an apartment, a place Billy would never have gone to but I had to hear people all around me.  We lived in a paradise but it wasn't so without Billy.  The quiet was so loud I had to leave.  Lots of noise here.  I am as happy as I am going to be.  But, here in Louisiana is home.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

My dream is still there and I have found some information to study and practice. Now I will just need to search for another way to solve the financial issue. 

Maybe you can fly here someday, I'm sure there's a cow pasture somewhere you could land in! :)  Seriously, though, I do hope you realize your dream.  I like how you are realizing you can experience both joy and grief simultaneously...that is how it is for us now.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Maybe you can fly here someday, I'm sure there's a cow pasture somewhere you could land in! :)  Seriously, though, I do hope you realize your dream.  I like how you are realizing you can experience both joy and grief simultaneously...that is how it is for us now.

Yes.  I look forward to it. - Shalom  B)

• Upvote 2

Update...

I completed the quarterly business tax reports early (Saturday).  And it has been a very interesting week, very busy.

I am still enthusiastic about learning to get my private pilots license despite my obstacles. It is amazing that when we focus on a dream (goal) that excites us that we are willing to make small changes that we just could not do based on what we ought to do.  I was able, through prayer, to not stop and buy my favorite fast food meal that I usually treat myself to once a week.  On Friday, a particular food craving hit me hard and I was able to resist and just go home and eat a healthier meal.  My rationale is that if I really what to fly I need to eat even healthier to shed this excess weight.  Which did I want more to FLY or eat the food that I was craving. I have managed to lose an additional 5 lbs in the last couple of weeks.   

I have still had some down times that hit us all at the oddest times.  February 14-16 is a particularly hard time for me because of Valentines day and two days later, Rose Anne's sudden death.  All kinds of flashback scene are popping into my head which makes for an interesting day.

One Wednesday, I was able to finally visit my Dad and share a meal with him  ( I was not able to visit for over a month due to the shingles outbreak).  He is still weak with shortness of breath when he gets up to do anything.  He is not eating well, and his conversations have been worrisome and repetitive. He ate much more than even he expected because he said it was nice to not have to eat a meal alone.  He has not had an appetite for some time.  The Shingles outbreak has passed but he still has a lot of raw and sore flesh.  Tonight, my sister, invited him over to here home for a dinner and a movie. As my Dad's countenance has been changing I find my countenance towards him has changed as well.  He is not the same father that I had growing up.  Life is always in constant change.

My plan is to check out a couple of flights schools and begin studying for the ground school portion.  I am hopeful for the first time since Rose Anne's death and I sense her encouraging me to follow my dreams.  Katpilot's news report has encouraged me as well. We never know what the future will bring but I know who hold the future! - Shalom, George

• Upvote 3

George, 

Good for you on the losing weight (no easy task)!  See what something hopeful (flying) will do for you!

Valentine's is a hard date for most of us to get through, George was very romantic and we always did something special for that day.  Having Rose Anne's death date so close to it makes it all the harder for you, you're in my prayers as the day approaches.

Seeing the changes in your dad is hard, it's always hard to see them as growing old rather than the competent person we knew them to be.  You're lucky to still have him here, I wish I still had a parent left.  I wish my kids could understand this.  They go long stretches without contact, don't answer the phone or texts...there will be a day I'll be gone and they won't get any re-do, when our parent is gone it's too late to show interest.

• Upvote 3

George, I may have focused on only a few posts the past few days (always have to give my two cents worth), but have not heard from you or Butch in awhile.  I think maybe Bill is somewhere in the background, never hear from him either.  Hope your dad is okay George.  We need to hear from Butch also.  

Hope everyone of our people, I hope we are all okay.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Marg M said:

George, I may have focused on only a few posts the past few days (always have to give my two cents worth), but have not heard from you or Butch in awhile.  I think maybe Bill is somewhere in the background, never hear from him either.  Hope your dad is okay George.  We need to hear from Butch also.  

Hope everyone of our people, I hope we are all okay.  

I am doing alright.  It's been a busy work week and my Dad is doing better.  He is still very weak and some confusion. My sister and I checkup on him daily and try to visit him at least once a week.  My passion for flying has been fully ignited and I am pursuing my dream.  I plan to write more soon about it.  My plane parts cam in yesterday so I am assembling them and learning how to program the controls.  February is tough month for me emotionally.  My brother died on Feb 1st, Valentines day, I proposed to my wife in 1989 and then two calendar days later on the 16th,(2015) she died suddenly. 720 days... its hard to comprehend it will be two years since her death.  - Shalom

• Upvote 3

I can never like October again, I have all his pictures he took every year of the beautiful state in the month of October.  That was the month we traveled all around taking pictures.  It is the beautiful part of autumn.  We had just bought his most expensive camera and a lot of things to go with it including the biggest lens that brings things up close.  He used it once or twice.  My daughter has it now.  Now, all I want to do is get through the month.  I'm sorry for your sorrow this month.  You take care of yourself and I hope your dad does good.  

• Upvote 2