Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after 1 year

Today seems better.  I had the heater maintenance check done today and everything is fine.  Large snowstorm coming through Late Friday night 3-6 inches of snow expected and low temperatures going down to 15*F. , which is extremely low for coastal Atlantic area.

My Dad's shingles is getting better with less pain and itching.  The cycle of life continues day by day.  I am finally able to start my Reading daily the Bible through in a year plan.  YouVersion App and the Audio read portion helps.  I have begun the process of cleaning up and organizing my home and simplifying my life.  I need simple. Complicated wears me out.  I'm still striving forward even when I don't feel like it.  Feeling are so illusive to me and deceiving at times. The reality is I am here and my beloved wife is not present physically.  

So I will work on what I have learned from this point in my grief walk.  

1) I need to care for myself as well as I did for my wife, her mother, and others.

2) I need to pursue what gives me peace. I enjoy helping others so I will be striving to learn more about how to help others.

3) I will need to move beyond my comfort zone to seek out recreation, hobbies, activities.  (Apparently, no one has been knocking on my door asking me to join them).  

4) I will actively search for another work partner to grow my professional home cleaning business of nineteen years.

5) I am seeking to continue to lose my excess weight for better health, better eating, and better fitness.  

These goals should keep me busy and engaged for this year.  I'll keep you posted.  Stay safe through the storms of life.  - Shalom, George 

• Upvote 10

Good for you, George!  You appear to have very organized thoughts and are able to break things down into manageable goals.  
I've lost eight pounds shoveling snow...a super hard way to lose weight!  We have more coming tonight through tomorrow night and most of next week.  I haven't gotten out much this week as they aren't maintaining the roads and its treacherous out there.  I pray we don't lose electricity!

• Upvote 3

Kay,

I do not envy you with the shoveling!  We had a few snow events, but now it is only cold.  8 degrees.  I can deal with the cold (as long as the car starts).  Do not want the ice!  Keep safe and do not overdo the shoveling.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Gin said:

Kay,

I do not envy you with the shoveling!  We had a few snow events, but now it is only cold.  8 degrees.  I can deal with the cold (as long as the car starts).  Do not want the ice!  Keep safe and do not overdo the shoveling.

When I retired to be home and take care of my wife, the first thing we did was move down here to south Texas to get away from the winter sleet storms that had become such a common winter event in Okla. Where we came to (we settled in a suburb of Houston, about midway between Houston and Galveston Island) we've got a real winter going on. The high temp today was only in the 40's. Supposed to get down into the mid-high 20's tonite. (Just thought I would tease with all you unfortunates that really are experiencing the winter stuff!) Stay warm and safe, everyone

I still remember those cold winters during those 2 years I was stationed in North Dakota. BRRRRRR. The worst day I remember was one day's high temp climbed all the way to 70 BELOW zero. 

Darrel

The weatherman is calling for snow blizzard conditions in our area. 3-6 inches of snow and high winds.  Lows in the 15* for the next two days.  I worked all day today and missed the snowflakes.  I am off of work for the next three days and play to stay home and clean.  Stay safe everyone.  - Shalom

• Upvote 2

Well in my former home is snow.  It is very cold here 175 miles south.  I went outside awhile ago and it came to my mind there are people and animals that are out in this and there is nothing I can do about it anymore than I can bring Billy back.  So, I will put it out of my mind for awhile.  

We made snow ice cream when it would snow in AR.  Billy's favorite food.  Condensed milk and smooth (white) snow and vanilla flavoring.  Like biscuits and gravy, those things were reserved for him, I won't make them again.  I just couldn't.  If you have snow though, try it.  It has to be condensed milk though, sugar just granulates in the snow.  Put it in the deep freeze, it will freeze hard, but you can put it in the blender.  Billy didn't let it stay frozen long.  

• Upvote 2

Good to hear George.:(  I will be heading your way next Friday to visit my son and his family since we missed Christmas together.  I believe you live in Norfolk. it would be nice to get to meet you if it worked out. By the way I hate the cold. I can take the heat of Phoenix any day. I don't even own a jacket but I think I have a sweater somewhere.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Marg M said:

Well in my former home is snow.  It is very cold here 175 miles south.  I went outside awhile ago and it came to my mind there are people and animals that are out in this and there is nothing I can do about it anymore than I can bring Billy back.  So, I will put it out of my mind for awhile.  

We made snow ice cream when it would snow in AR.  Billy's favorite food.  Condensed milk and smooth (white) snow and vanilla flavoring.  Like biscuits and gravy, those things were reserved for him, I won't make them again.  I just couldn't.  If you have snow though, try it.  It has to be condensed milk though, sugar just granulates in the snow.  Put it in the deep freeze, it will freeze hard, but you can put it in the blender.  Billy didn't let it stay frozen long.  

When I was a youngster my mother used to make us snow ice cream each winter. I always looked forward to it. She always let us go outside with the big bowl and bring in the snow. She always cautioned us to not get any of the yellow snow. Since I was just a runt at the time, it took me awhile to figure out what turned the snow yellow. DUH!!!!

8 hours ago, KATPILOT said:

Good to hear George.:(  I will be heading your way next Friday to visit my son and his family since we missed Christmas together.  I believe you live in Norfolk. it would be nice to get to meet you if it worked out. By the way I hate the cold. I can take the heat of Phoenix any day. I don't even own a jacket but I think I have a sweater somewhere.

By, Friday, The temperatures will rise back up to the 60* and 67* on Saturday.  I live in Chesapeake but both sister and Dad live in Norfolk.    Snow is light here so far. about an inch or so but will snow more today.  In nice and comfy in my warm home and no need to travel anywhere for a few days.  Just dripping the water in all the faucets tonight and tomorrow to prevent them from bursting. I'll PM you my telephone and e-mail contact info and see if we can meet up when you are in my area.  - Shalom :-)

• Upvote 1

I moved south when I retired and apparently not far enough.....Its still -10 this morning but no snow today.......Plugging in my vehicles before I go anywhere. Also have a trickle set up to prevent freezing.....Good luck all...

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, olemisfit said:

The worst day I remember was one day's high temp climbed all the way to 70 BELOW zero. 

Sure you weren't on the North Pole?!  I didn't know ND got that cold!  I couldn't do it.  It was 8 here yesterday and I'm burning through my firewood at double normal rate.  My elec. bill will be high too because I had to put a space heater next to the pipes & water tank, the building isn't insulated and has too much cold air going through it.

Today, snowing, sticking, and freezing rain predicted through tomorrow 10 am.  Snow all next week and beyond.  Sick of it.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, kayc said:

Sure you weren't on the North Pole?!  I didn't know ND got that cold!  I couldn't do it.  It was 8 here yesterday and I'm burning through my firewood at double normal rate.  My elec. bill will be high too because I had to put a space heater next to the pipes & water tank, the building isn't insulated and has too much cold air going through it.

Today, snowing, sticking, and freezing rain predicted through tomorrow 10 am.  Snow all next week and beyond.  Sick of it.

No, it was the great state of North Dakota. I loved the people there. Those hearty NoDaks were terrific people to us GI's up there. But this Okie wasn't ready for that kind of cold. I was stationed at the Air Force base at Grand Forks, ND, and i do remember that day's temp because it was so drastic. They had to close the flightline down that day. It was too cold for the big B52's to be able to take off or land.  I got orders for that stateside base after a year in Thailand during that Vietnam "thing". Then when I had all I could stand of North Dakota after 2 winters there I was told that the only way I could get reassigned somewhere else was to volunteer to go back to Thailand again. Do I need to tell you what my decision was?  Yup...back to Thailand I went. You absolutely cannot put on enough layers for that kind of cold.

Have a good'un!

Darrel

My family and I are all doing well. No power losses. Local schools will be closed Monday and Tuesday so I may move my cleaning job to Wednesday to let some of the snow melt off of my car,the driveway, and local roads.  I noticed the west coast also has a large storm coming through as well.  Stay safe everyone.  - Shalom

• Upvote 3

That’s cold. Though just announced, the temperature was actually recorded in August 2010, in the eastern part of Antarctica. The temperature got close to the record again this year at the end of July, when it hit -92.9C. 

On Monday, December 9, scientist Ted Scambos announced the new low at a meeting of the American Geophysical Union. Before this announcement, the previous record low had been -89.2C.

Unfortunately, however, this new coldest temperature won’t be recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records, because it was measured using NASA satellites instead of a thermometer.

Thankfully, none of us will have to brave this kind of cold any time soon. How do record lows in the United States stack up? The coldest temperature ever recorded in the U.S. was in – you guessed it – Alaska. In 1971, temperatures reached -79.8F at Prospect Creek Camp in Alaska. The lowest temperature in the contiguous 48 states was -72 in Montana. Predictably, Hawaii is the only U.S. state to never dip below 0F.

Humans can survive briefly in -100F temperatures, Scambos said. He and other Antarctic researchers know from experience, he said, because they run naked outside for a couple minutes in the cold as a stunt (hey, if you were stuck in the Antarctic for that long, you probably would too). But they have to breathe using a snorkel that warms the air, just in case they accidentally inhale the freezing-cold air. 

Still, the rest of the solar system laughs at our -94.7C. Scambos said the temperature is one you might find during the warmest days on Mars. The moon hits -153C

• Upvote 2

Well,  I tried to post this link in another section of this discussion group but got lost trying to find it. "tools of Healing"  I found it reading on of Marty's earlier posts. I tried to go back to it but couldn't find it since I already read the post... It's getting complicated just writing about it....

Anyway , here is the Article: Turning grief into good.

http://www.opentohope.com/turning-grief-good/

I find that even now, life zaps my energy in just trying to post an article in the right section.  Left shoulder physical pain.  If only I could find someone to massage my left shoulder and arm to get some relief form this pain. (I fell down a flight of stairs two and half years ago..) I went to the emergency room, X-rayed and ultrasound and they say there was no damage.  I went to physical therapy for a couple of months but then Rose Anne died and I never went back...  Obamacare Issues were not resolved for a year...  Now my deductible is $6,500 and I can not afford it. I have tried massage therapy, hot/cold therapy, DMSO, and castor oil packs.  I'm still looking for relief.  

• Upvote 1

George, my sympathies with that shoulder pain. Both of my rotator cuffs are shot, and I live with daily pain from them. I had the first one operated on and did the post-op therapy but it still never did heal properly. So, when I tore up the second one I just didn't go for the operation. I have limited use of both of them, and since they never heal themselves the pain just never goes away. I feel for ya, guy. 

George and Darrel, you may be interested in this physician's amazing success with shoulder pain relief. I referred my younger son to Dr. Carroll a few years ago. You can read about him on his website, here: http://www.rotatoreliever.com/

Below is a copy of the email message my son later wrote to Dr. Carroll:

In a message dated 2/17/2011 11:01:43 P.M. Eastern Standard Time:
Dr. Carroll:

I have been suffering left shoulder pain form a torn rotator for years.  The right shoulder was surgically corrected, but not the left.  I have been deployed to Afghanistan for some time when my left shoulder flared and ached more than usual, interfering with my necessary workouts.  Having grown up in Traverse City, my mom found your information and forwarded it to me.  With nothing to lose I ordered your product.

I followed the simple, easy to use device and instructions for the 40 days and it was a miracle.  No pain, my workouts are back to normal, I am sleeping through the night, and there is no hint that anything was ever wrong with my shoulder.  The best money I have ever spent.  If there were a way to be a spokesperson for the ROTATORELIEVER I would do it for free just so that everyone who ever suffered like I did could get the relief they deserve.  

I cannot thank you enough

Sincerely,

Benjamin Tousley

• Upvote 2

I feel for you both and hope you get some much needed relief.

• Upvote 1