Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If You're Going Through Hell

I did that once with a black dog in the darkness.  Went face down on a hardwood floor.  Ever since then there are nightlights in every room, hall and kitchen.  I always put away anything in my path before bed now too.  Dog toys and a big pillow one carries around.   My oxygen tubing can be a tripping hazard as I hate when it gets pulled off so I try to avoid that rather than not contort myself.  

Karen, hope the damage isn’t too bad.  I don’t know what life is like without pain, but I’m sure up for trying it.  

Glad your sister avoided surgery, Marty.  Do people that wear those boots get to take them off at night?  Before bed I mean.  

Yes, Gwen, she can take it off when she isn't walking. She also has a lighter version to use when she is driving (it's her right foot). Fortunately it's a very clean break, no dislocation of bones, etc. The doc said since the break wasn't cross-wise, but rather straight along the top part of her foot, it wasn't as bad as it might have been. 

• Like 1

That’s good news, Marty. I see people walking in them alone, some with crutches and others a kind of push scooter.  Guess it depends on the severity.  What I never knew was the sleeping part.  Now I do!  A wealth of information in his place!  🎓

Wow, Karen, I hope there's no serious damage!  And Marty, that's rough about your sister, my DIL had foot surgery and had to wear one of those boots and couldn't drive for a while.  Of course it was the right foot too.

Classic example of Murphy’s Law, Kay.  I’ve noticed that happening much more in life now.  Maybe I’m just more aware of it without someone who could pivot us easily with our adaptability.  I can’t count how many times something has changed last minute and I sit, baffled, thinking......what do I do instead?  

Had a minor annoyance of mind, but big annoyance physically, trying to pick up a prescription.  I was a day early.  3 pills requires I wait another day.  Well, why hobble in and out once when I can do it twice, eh?  It kinda paid off a little tho.  Found Russell Stover individual Xmas candies for .39 each.  Scooped up a bunch for little gifts like to my housekeeper.  Enough for me too.  

My younger dog leaves balls around.  I have to watch out for those as far as tripping too.  These are mini tennis balls so not as obvious.  What does your DIL do for sleeping since hers was surgery?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KarenK said:

I NEVER fall down, but took a nose drive in the hallway a little while ago. NOT FUN! Hallway is pitch black and heaven forbid I should turn on the light. I tripped over the black dog who was invisible.

Karen:  Oh no, sorry you fell.   How about a nightlight in the hallway?  Of course, I know how we feel we don't need such a thing in our own home.  Or, maybe a lighted dog collar on your fur baby ?  LOL.  So happy no broken bones.  Dee

• Like 1

A lighted dog collar.......Now, there's a novel idea. No place to plug in a nightlight. This house is very old and wired strange. There's a switch at either end of the hall. If you turn it off at one end, it will only turn back on from that same end. Very inconvenient. For 50 years, I have always used the bedroom end. I was entering from the kitchen end, so..... I can always leave the bathroom light on with the door ajar, unfortunately it was occupied at the time. Anyhow, I hurt all over. I know poor Kay gets hurt doing worthwhile stuff and bounces back. I'm not as resilient.

Ah Gwen, dog balls and beef bones! It's a mine field. Most people have kids toys laying around, but not us.  LOL

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

What does your DIL do for sleeping since hers was surgery?

She removes the boot, she's able to drive now (w/o boot) and only wears it for walking, it's a pain to take on & off though.  

Karen, I don't FEEL like I bounce back, I got permanent injuries when I fell at the vet that time.  It seems my shoulder is finally healing though, it's been 2 1/2 months, wasn't sure it was going to.  I'm not a resilient as I used to be, not so young anymore.  That's what scares me, no one to help care for me if I need it.

I like the lighted collar idea!  Now if someone would make some!  I've tripped over Kitty in the dark, she's so little, I'm learning to turn the lights on!

I was driving home last night and saw so many houses with lights outside and trees inside.  It felt so sad to know that will not be happening here.  I went by an aquaitenances house and saw theirs.  How fortunate they are to have each other.  How stuff so pretty and bright make us so sad.  The memories of doing that hit so hard.  Hard to avoid, as Dee knows, we get dark at about 4 and it won’t turn around til January that we notice.  Dark makes me want to snuggle with my lost love.  I have an electric blanket, medic alert and heating pad instead.  😰

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

I was driving home last night and saw so many houses with lights outside and trees inside.  It felt so sad to know that will not be happening here.  I went by an aquaitenances house and saw theirs.  How fortunate they are to have each other.  How stuff so pretty and bright make us so sad. 

Gwen:  Yes, seeing all the decorations just hurts so much.  So hard to dodge all of them - My weird sense of humor...........  I was thinking today driving home from grocery shopping, due to my vision problems, I am thankful I don't drive at night.  The little community I live in are having a contest on Christmas Decorations and so many are taking part.   Just reminders what used to be enjoyed.  Dee

• Like 3

On 12/6/2019 at 11:45 PM, KarenK said:

No place to plug in a nightlight. This house is very old and wired strange. There's a switch at either end of the hall. If you turn it off at one end, it will only turn back on from that same end. 

Karen K:  I wonder if one of those lights that has adhesive on back , sticks anywhere, runs on a battery.  I've seen all shapes and sizes.  Just an afterthought.  Dee 

• Like 2

Thanks, Dee. I know they have those at the dollar store. I'll put that on my list. There are lots of neat little things at the dollar store. I get my Yardley bath soap there, among other things.

• Like 3

Dollar Stores are great!  It all depends on what you buy, of course.  But I’ve found some great deals there.  Some you get exactly what you pay fior.  I buy votive candles, popcorn, canned chicken (Tyson which is great), lighters for candles, some treats that have been awesome. I always check dog toys since for a buck I don’t care if the kids destroy them which they love to do.  

Yah, Dee.  All that pretty hurts so much.  I had tried little stuff inside but it only made me feel worse.  So no more of that tho I don’t know how I will handle the eve and the day this year.  Not going there yet tho it's hard not to.   

• Like 3

My washroom space has no light.  My sister gave me a home gift and it takes 3 AA batteries and is activated by motion.  Really helped.

Peel off back and put it where you want it and the motion of you walking down the hall makes it come on.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hurt a bunch of days afterward.  My bedroom (I took the small one) is surrounded with big plastic boxes.  I gave Bri the big one with the bath because she stays in her room a lot.  I kinda feel safe with all that stuff around the king sized bed and all I do is sleep there.  About to get the kinks out, but paying rent at two places kind of put us in a tight squeeze at Christmas.  I have always been the Grinch anyhow, Billy was the Christmas boy, and I do not even care for gifts, and they all know it.  I'm not that much fun.  I take after my grandmother who would wrap and re-give presents, wrap with toilet paper when she ran out of wrapping paper.  To give her credit though, she could not use all the presents they gave her so many holidays.  More than once one of the girls would unwrap a present and say "I gave this to her for Mother's day."  And, she did live at least 10 miles from any town.  I hope y'all have as good a Christmas as you can.  

• Like 3

It seems to me that someone who wrapped presents in toilet paper would be a hoot!  And if you're anything like her, I'd call that a lot of fun too.  

• Like 2

I wanted to be like my sweet, beautiful in her 90's, Mammaw.  She really was an Angel and her two daughters took such good care of her.  She was tiny, and prettier at 90 than at 45.  She doted on me her only grandchild for nine years.  (Mama was jealous) and hated her mother-in-law.  Grandma was fluffy, had a personality that was flat, but she was so unhappy after her husband passed she only had her country store and lived a country life.  The rugs on the floor were hook rugs, and she had plaited (braided) so many  different strips of cloth together, old clothes from many children and other family.  If you have never plaited a hook rug, it is really is a lot of fun. They kept the cold wind from coming through the single wood floors. My other grandmother made quilt coverlets for all her grandchildren, each little square hand sewn.  After all these years, I still have Scott's,, but won't use it.  Lost the others in our many moves.  My fluffy grandmother managed to leave money and land to each of her children and (I think I have written this before), had a will written out on a Big Chief tablet of paper (many will remember these), with a #2 pencil and in it she asked her children "please don't fight" and of course they did.  They all argued and verbally fought until they were all gone and I imagine in Heaven my  grandparents are saying "you handle it God, its your problem now."

• Like 2

Marty, at least you didn't get called "ditzy". That's what Michelle called me one time when I missed the curve and almost put us in the ditch in the dark.  LOL  Reminds me of those "40's" pin up girls.

• Like 3

Oh, this girl is my heart, she can do no wrong.  Now, if only we could get her through the big math test, we'd be okay.  It is like she has a curse on the test.  Does the same stuff in class just fine, knows it is the big test and knows she is going to fail it.  She does.  Freezes up completely.  Counselor trying to help..  She is college level and has passed all the other tests, cannot get past the math.  She does not give up.  This is what Billy home schooled her in.  He loved it.  Kinda think it might have something to do with it.  

• Like 1

I remember a friend of mine quoting "You's not fat, you's fluffy!"  I love that, brings back memories of my Kay...she passed about three years ago.

• Like 1