Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Health problems without our loved ones to help

Marg,

I once fell in the buffet line at Golden Corral. Loose veggie on the floor, slick boot soles and "BAM!" right on my back. Fortunately, I wasn't carrying a plate of food. Unfortunately, a handsome young man came to my rescue. I was so embarrassed. Nothing hurt except my knee and my pride. Even old mules like us are not as sure footed as we once were.  lol  Hope you are not too stiff today.

• Upvote 6

Thanks Karen.  Short legs, big behind, I was lucky nothing was behind me but stuff that softened the fall.  Didn't even hurt my feelings except I was treated like an old person.  I forget I am sometimes until they worry about me. 

• Upvote 3

Karen,

I had to get one of those (handsome young man) for my Colonoscopy...embarrassing!!

• Upvote 2

Have a stress echo tomorrow morning.  Not feeling very good about it.  Very out of breath.  I went through so much of this with Al.      He had bypass surgery, pacemaker, lots of echoes.  I think I know too much about it.  I do not want an angiogram or any of the stuff Al had.  If he were here with me, I could deal better.  I guess I am being a baby about it.  Two friends are taking me.

Gin

• Upvote 2

Gin, you will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers tomorrow.  It is not babyish at all to feel as you do, it brings back memories, none of which could be too comfortable.  I'm glad you will have friends with you.

• Upvote 2

Mitch,

the stress test was not too bad.  Had to have the chemical test where they speed up your heart.  Still have to see a cardiologist.  First I have to get a pulmonary function test and then see a pulmonologist. First available appointment is 2 weeks.  Thanks for asking.

Last night I went for dinner with 2 friends that I have not seen since Al's memorial.  Went OK until I was leaving.  The wife said, "this was nice, but it sure wasn't the same without Al".  Tell me about it.  Nothing is!  

Gin

Oh geez!  Good grief!  I guess people just don't think about the affect of their remarks.

Glad you got through the stress test, now to get through the pulmonary function test!  Let us know how it goes...

• Upvote 1

Just talked to my doctor.  Blood count low.  Need an endoscopy to check for bleeding. Have to stop all arthritis drugs...Celebrex and ibuprofen.  Only Tylenol, which does not help.  Next thing is the lung function test and then endoscopy.  These things are so hard alone.  

• Upvote 1

I'm so sorry, Gin :( ~ These health problems are bad enough already, but as you say, even harder to deal with alone. I hope you can feel our collective arms around you. Please know that we are thinking of you and sending warm healing thoughts to you . . . 

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry, Gin!  Isn't it ironic they'll always let us have the one thing that doesn't help?!  I've noticed that...

• Upvote 2

Gin, I hate Tylenol.  But, knowing what I do about the non-steroidal medications and the Celebrex, well, those are some things we just cannot take.  Tylenol is all I can have and after that study where it showed people that took Tylenol lacked empathy, well, I have almost gotten off it.  Now with this moving around, at night I have terrible leg aches so I got the Arthritis Tylenol.  Took it two nights.  Tylenol must be a frigging sugar pill.  

My thoughts are with you.  I think George knows a lot about the essential oils.  Sometimes we cannot take homeopathic medications either.  I think the one person I put my trust in for all of these homeopathic, etc. medications is a guy named  Andrew Weil, MD.  Not recommending him.  Look at my diet, white flour, sugar, tender meats, cakes.  Anything but vegetables, nuts or seeds and NO CORN.  But I can have grits.  Get on your feet and start reading about taking care of your health.  Honestly, losing our mates makes us where we don't give a good damn whether we live or not.  Sometimes, for some reasons, we have to keep trying though.  

Kevin tells us to take care of our health.  Remember water, rest, and something else, I forget.  Remember, my train switches tracks so much I never know which one I will sleep at tonight.  

My thoughts are with you.  Please let us know how you are doing.  Read George's notes about taking care of his own medicine.  And, if that doctor does not suit you, find another one.  (from what we discussed).  He might have been your mate's physician, but my mate's main physician, the one who was supposed to be our "family  friend", the one we trusted.  We never received a bill from him.  Sometimes we have to be our own doctor and pick out the one that suits us.  

Let us hear from you.

• Upvote 2

Gin, so sorry you are being subjected to these tests, especially the invasive ones.  The last thing we need are things that rob us of the little energy we have to just get thru the day much less face this kind of stuff.  My day is like a debit card with a limit.  When I hit, I am done.  Out of 'funds'.  

• Upvote 4

No big deal! I went for my followup regarding my stress and echo tests, etc. today. I knew there was nothing wrong with my heart, but you know in medicine that the doctors have to share the wealth. I have yet to make the doctors acquaintance(have seen the PA twice). Tests were fine. I can no longer run up the side of a mountain, but have no plans to. Smoking  and aging will do that to you. If I get dizzy or short of breath, I'll sit down. What do I care that I'll never be Jack LaLane? She gave me an A+ and said "See you next year." I told her that I'm too mean to die.

• Upvote 3

Wonderful news Karen.  I don't ever see the doctor at the clinic either.  I see the nurse practitioner and she can prescribe.  I don't want to see the doc, he is a man.  When I was in my 20's I could not climb mountains.  Billy smoked and he could go longer without getting shortness of breath.  I wish he had kept smoking instead of that poison smokeless tobacco.  So glad you are doing good.  

• Upvote 1

Great, Karen.  Glad that is over.  I do not want an endoscopy.  I stopped the arthritis drugs.  I figure that should stop the bleeding. That should stop the anemia.  That should stop the shortness of breath.  I have it all figured out.  At least that is my plan for now.

did they give you anything for the shortness of breath?

Gin

• Upvote 2

Gin,

My regular doctor has given me 2 different kinds of inhalers. He stressed the importance of using Albuterol at least once a day. However, 2 of the possible side effects are shortness of breath and pounding heartbeats, both of which I have already, so I choose not to use them. I am a stubborn old woman. My lungs have not been right since I got the fungal pneumonia(Aspergillosis) in Kentucky in 2014. It is one of those things that kind of stays with you forever. The so called medicine for it is not covered by insurance at about $300 per month. Way out of my price range. Of course, smoking does not help. My shortness of breath happens if I do very much physical activity at all, even pushing a damn grocery cart. No doctor I have seen can explain my blood pressure rising when I lie down.