Grief Healing Discussion Groups

If You're Going Through Hell

2 hours ago, kevin said:

went with the alternative.....No regrets

Me either.  Mama said she did not take calcium with me so my teeth were bad.  Well, they were bad.  From a child I kept those terrible tasting poultices (probably something you young'uns do not remember. and a hot water bottle against my jaw.  By the time I was 15 I had most every tooth filled, front ones too.  At 19 I had upper plate.  Finally had both.  Never looked back, but one of the oral surgeons left part of a tooth in and I had to have throat surgery from the infection.  Twice the oral surgeons would not do anything unless I agreed to have implants which a total was $9,000.  They would not even see me so I went to ENT.  He removed the part of the tooth that had been left in probably 40 years before.  Had to cut me at my throat.  (I asked him to stitch it up extra tight), he didn't.  I could not have the implants, they could not guarantee me they would work and taking all the antibiotics would just really kill me.  I'm good.  I think I grew up in the country, country docs and we just did not have a lot of the attention city folks had.  That was okay,  I could not get the implants.  Did not want the pain.  Had enough of that.

Kevin, hope you are doing well from the surgery.

37 minutes ago, kayc said:

My sister recently read an article that debunked it.

Yeah, heard both sides.  You know my genes run toward the Alzheimer's and the Parkinson's anyhow, so will just keep reading books instead of articles.  Not much they can do with me anyhow.  I'm okay.  

My family gets Lewy Bodies Dementia, it includes Parkinson like symptoms as well.  Yay, what I have to look forward to.  For my kids' sakes I hope I die first.

Marg....I am recovering very well, thanks for asking.....Actually spent two minutes on stationary bike yesterday...Swelling finally coming down. Doing all the exercises and motion stretches..Staples/stitches come out tomorrow......I will have some self imposed limits but within two/three months should be ready to call realtor..........

• Like 4

Kevin, I'm impressed!  Keep up the good work!  I wish you well on your impending "selling of the house", my sister is going through that right now (neighboring Portland area in the hills)...she's about done with the keeping everything boxed up, pristine, having workmen intrude on her privacy and dealing with all that goes with dealing with contractors.  Ugh.  They're looking forward to renting a couple of years before looking for their new home.

Yesterday I had to drive the 120 mile round trip to the doctor and pharmacy, I came down with a UTI.  All in all, seven stops to make and finally home to bring in groceries and walk Arlie.  My back is improving little by little...but alas snow is predicted the next week and beyond, I hope it doesn't amount to much, my back can't take the shoveling right now.  

Thank you to George, the magnesium flakes help a bit, anything that brings relief is welcome!

Kay, "drat" on the UTI! Not a strong enough word, I know. Have started getting those a couple of times a year. Hate it when our old parts start wearing out.

I am alive and fairly well. Only needed stitches for one of the extractions. Only took about 3 hours for bleeding to stop. Am still in a lot of pain, but Oxy helps some. Have managed to eat pudding, milkshake, & yogurt. Looking forward to mashed potatoes & gravy later.  lol  Never fails in our crazy Murphy's Law family. My son has an abcessed gum, but was able to get a dentist appt. tomorrow morning. I know he is in a lot of pain, but can't take pain meds because of bad reaction. I believe I have mentioned that before. I can't even be much help and drive him. Am too groggy and can't drive. Life goes on.

• Like 2

Oh, Karen, I'm so glad you have the dentist behind you.  Now for the healing. Sounds like you have a good dentist. I hope you heal quickly and that the pain eases up.

Anne

19 hours ago, KarenK said:

Kay, "drat" on the UTI! Not a strong enough word, I know. Have started getting those a couple of times a year. Hate it when our old parts start wearing out.

I am alive and fairly well. Only needed stitches for one of the extractions. Only took about 3 hours for bleeding to stop. Am still in a lot of pain, but Oxy helps some. Have managed to eat pudding, milkshake, & yogurt. Looking forward to mashed potatoes & gravy later.  lol  Never fails in our crazy Murphy's Law family. My son has an abcessed gum, but was able to get a dentist appt. tomorrow morning. I know he is in a lot of pain, but can't take pain meds because of bad reaction. I believe I have mentioned that before. I can't even be much help and drive him. Am too groggy and can't drive. Life goes on.

I've had it take from the "rest of the day" to "up to two weeks" to heal from such dental work, some are worse than others.  I hope each day shows increased healing and wellness for you.

And your son, he's getting in this morning for help...did the prescribe antibiotics immediately so he could have a head start before they work on him?  Does your grandson drive, or a neighbor?  I'm sorry you're both down with this at once!  I've had abscesses, no fun!  I'm not a violent person but I wanted to put my fist through the wall.  Good thing I didn't try.  ;)

Son made it to the dentist and got antibiotics prescribed. A gum infection, all right. Will get cavity fixed next week. Grandson doesn't drive. We have no close friends or neighbors, just the two of us for driving. He is tough like his old man though and does what he has to.

Have graduated to oatmeal. Would love a cheeseburger.  lol

• Like 1

Chicken soup for both of you!  I hope you both are feeling better soon!

Sad day today.....my loyal Cat , who is about18 years old quit eating .....I forced fed him last two days(liquids and made trip to the Vet)....we looked like quite the pair going into the office.....me limping with cane, holding Cat in my arms with  a dog leach.....Once staff saw us hobbling they lended 100% assistance.....Determined putting cat to sleep was the humane road to take. Feel relieved but some sad....

IMG_1902.JPG

• Like 4

Oh Kevin, I'm so sorry. Of course you feel sad, as well as relieved. Your kitty has been with you for a very long time, and undoubtedly a constant and well-loved companion. Do allow yourself to mourn the loss of him. It is a testament to the love you shared with him. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, kevin said:

.Once staff saw us hobbling they lended 100% assistance...

I'm sorry about your pet, Kevin.  I know you have a lot going on and probably a lot of rehabilitation.  I know your mind will be kept busy, as well as your body.  I wish you the best and hope the snowing has stopped.  I think you will be moving, (and I am known to get things mixed up), but will you be moving to a colder location?  Be careful, you are a brave soul.  

My cousins and I were writing to each other and one mentioned a letter I had written (email) after Billy's death, the day afterward.  I save all our emails.  I have all from my cousin who passed away a few years ago.  I don't go back and read his, but for some reason I went back and read the letter I wrote that was so totally raw.  People get help from writing their memories of each day that passes but that letter ripped any scar tissue away, and I won't do that again.  I feel like I have something "heavy, heavy hanging over my head" and I had been doing fairly well.  

I cannot go backwards.  I have to go straight ahead and do not listen to the footsteps, the words, the memories, cannot look backwards.  Why would people cut themselves just to see it bleed?  Sometimes we know what we can do and we do not need to test our emotions.  Just straight ahead.  Damn.  

• Upvote 1