Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Something Positive

I thought it might help us if we each try to post something positive that's happened to us this week. It doesn't have to be grief related, just anything good or something small that lifted your spirits.

Mine is that I surprised myself this evening by actually singing along to a song on the radio. I didn't even notice I was doing it until the song was half over. I take that as a sign of progress.

I hope many respond here. We could all use a lift!

Jennalee,

Progress indeed, we all must find a ray of sunshine in all this gloom and grief, I'm glad you have found some positive energy in your rough days, I wake everyday giving thanks to God for waking and I tell Ruth good morning just as if she were here phyiscally, my positive this week is I'm doing an item on my bucket list this weekend with my new best friend Brenda, we are going to swim with the dolphins and snorkle a tropical reef this weekend, I am learning to continue my life and grieving at the same time, I miss Ruth very much but I know she would want happiness for me so I'm keeping with her thoughts and dreams and I'm living life the best I can without her....may we all find some comfort and positive energy somewhere.....

NATS

Jennalee,

What a wonderful idea!! I'm going over to San Diego this weekend to visit our daughters and six beautiful grandkids. It is always a hard trip without Tim, but I love seeing those smiling faces and getting all the hugs and kisses.

Chris

Nats and Chris, Ruth and Tim would be so very, very proud of you!! And thank you for giving me hope that life can go on after grief. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

My something positive for today is that for the first time since this happened I woke up and felt sad but somewhat okay and didn't actually want to die. Considering how I've felt in the mornings lately, that's pretty huge!

Something positive.... hmm... Well a friend that I hadn't heard from in months called asking how I was doing. I told her I had signed up for a bible study class and was trying really hard to start doing activities with real live people! By the end of the conversation she arranged to change her schedule to make it a girls night out for dinner and bible study every other tuesday. She asked me to join her and a group of friends for bowling on monday nights. I guess they watch monday night football on the big screen and bowl at the same time. A mixture of couples and singles. Although I wouldn't commit to every monday night I agreed to go at least once. She mentioned one of the gals in the group lost her husband three years ago to cancer and had just remarried. Perhaps she would make a good sounding board for advice on how to make a new life for myself.

This is huge progress for me. My husband and I did everything together and do go anywhere fun without him would have seemed impossible a couple months ago.

I think the only positive in my week is that my dog looked like he felt a little better last night. I have been so worried about him, he's been so sick, I don't yet know what the prognosis or outcome will be, but just hearing him "talk" (he's half Husky) and smile a bit was enough to make my week.

Thanks for responding ladies, every tiny bit of something good helps!!

My something positive for today is that twice I went through the intersection where Ajay died and didn't even think about it. Each time I remembered it was coming, but when the time came where it was right there my thoughts were elsewhere. I think this is pretty good. I thought it would be MONTHS before I would be able to do that. Another positive is that while my mornings are still very unpleasant, at least I've stopped waking up wanting to die trying to decide whether or not I should end my own life today. I think that's another huge step. I'm not saying I'll never be there again, but I am trying to appreciate the days that I'm kind of okay.

Soem days are better than others, even almost six months out.

Last week I was having a really bad day. I was at work, and trying to hide it. Meryl Streep i'm not.

So my boss appears beside me with a steaming carafe and two tiny porcelain cups. "You said you've never tried Turkish coffee. I made some. Would you like a cup?"

How cool is it to have your boss make you coffee.

Some friends and I took Kailyn to the PNE (an annual 2 week exhibition and fair). I took Kailyn on her first merry go round and other rides. And I went on the roller coaster, which was pretty good. And as we walked by the concert stage area, people were all clapping for Cyndi Lauper, and Kailyn clapped away with them - very cute! Aside from waiting for the bus to go home, it was a really good evening.

Korina

It's really hard to add something positive for today cause it didn't feel really positive, but I did find something. I managed to watch two movies at home without being too distracted. That's something cause it's been really hard for me to focus on even a 20 minute TV show. I'm sure tomorrow I'll find something else positive. Each day holds a little treasure we must find and relish in I guess.

I needed to get Kailyn a rain jacket, drove to Please Mum (note Kailyn was very good for the whole trip), and found some really cute things for half price. Nice! smile.gif

Korina

I guess I had two positive things this weekend. Went to a BBQ up on the mountain with friends (did not really want to go), and met some new friends, and had good visit with old friends. Turned out to be a positive evening. ALSO, and this is big deal for me, I managed to really clean my living room, dining room, kitchen and hall floors, probably the best cleaning they have had since Mike died. They look sooo much better, and smell better also (I have animals) Washed the furniture covers, and vacumed the small rugs, and did a little rearranging. I am not a very good housekeeper, so this was a big deal for me. Made me pretty tired, but a good tired.

Mary (queeniemary) in Arkansas

Hello to All,

I had a very positive weekend and a wonderful time and thank God so much, I took my trip and swam with the dolphins and snorkled a tropical reef seeing the beauty of the fish and creatures that live in another exciting world created by our God...seeing the beauty and being in there world allowed me to have a new love for my world...attached is pic I took while suspended among a school of tropical fish....

May God Bless You All...

NATS

I thought it might help us if we each try to post something positive that's happened to us this week. It doesn't have to be grief related, just anything good or something small that lifted your spirits.

Mine is that I surprised myself this evening by actually singing along to a song on the radio. I didn't even notice I was doing it until the song was half over. I take that as a sign of progress.

I hope many respond here. We could all use a lift!

Its so hard to find something positive when ones in this space, but I think its good to try as we all have blessings , daily in our lives

Swimming with the dolphins and enjoying the beauty of a tropical reef is a HUGE positive!! (I just spotted the photo, that's amazing!! Way to go Nats!) It's also great to see others finding small moments of solace.

My something positive for today is that my dog and I had a very peaceful afternoon, just the two of us, puppy & Mommy, out in my neighbor's backyard. My sweet, single neighbor has kindly offered me it's use anytime I need even though she works during the day. (My backyard is super small and I have no patio furniture.) Sitting out in her bright yard gave me a few ideas on what I'd like to change about my home. I'd definitely like to hire someone to trim some trees in the front to let in more sunshine, and paint the dining room a brighter, happier color than the dark brown the previous owners chose. I suppose I might also get some comfortable patio furniture for the back as well, and maybe put up a short fence. Just tall enough to keep my Maltese in.

Right now the thought of actually carrying out any of these plans seems too overwhelming makes me kind of tired, but at least I'm thinking of them. This means I'm starting to show just a small bit of interest in my future. I suppose that's fairly exciting, considering how dark it's felt lately. I'm just trying to take these small moments of promise and treasure them. I also hope they will start becoming more and more frequent over time.

Would love to hear more positives from today or anytime this past week!

Jennalee,

What a fantastic idea.. something positive when everyone here is sad and hurting!

I'm nearing the nine month mark and actually with much help from family,friends and cousillors, have many positive moments.

Todays happy thought is that the sun is shining again, and my heart feels open to new adventures.

I'm glad to see there are others that are finding positive things in their lives again

Hugs,

Lainey

My something positive for today is that I had a nice lunch with my aunt and a fun evening with my neighbor and a good friend. Today was not emotionally fun in the morning but I felt a lot better seeing my family and friends rush in when I hadn't even asked. God has a way of making the phone ring when all I've done is glance at it in despair.

I asked Scott last night to help me get in touch with a former business partner of his on a financial matter (this guy is hard to contact at the best of times), and today, he called!

Also, it was terribly cute to see Kailyn and one of her friends from daycare to wave at each other, and chat away, though none of the grown ups know what they are saying.

Korina

Wow, today has been rough, but I was able to find some positive in it.

My single neighbor, who has been a godsend in all this, just reassured me for probably the fifteenth time that I am welcome part of her home anytime. Her adult son recently moved out and she gets very lonely too. I'm still sure not to overstay my welcome, cause I think it's important for me not to start completely avoiding time alone cause that's just part of grieving and I have to go through it. But still, it's such a comfort to know she's right next door. She works Mon - Fri but is home during the weekends which is good cause weekends are the hardest.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I missed this post originally....maybe I hadn't been on in a couple of days when it was posted??

Anyway, I LOVE the idea of trying to find something positive in every day....and being able to share it with everyone.

My positive for the day is that I finally got motivated to go through the stacks of mail that had been piling up on the kitchen table and the coffee table since Jeff died. It feels good to be somewhat organized and on top of things, I haven't felt like that in a while!

I like the way you think Jennalee. I hope you (and everyone else here) is able to find at least one positive thing to focus on every day.

Tammy

I have a real positive post==Found the most gorgeous apartment. Actually called apartment homes. So Nov.1st I will be moving there. Closing on my house is Nov 12th. It will good physically for me to move out of the house with the steps and hugh yard. Yet will be real hard to have a new home that Ray was never with me in. All my memories, pictures etc all go to the new place too, so he will be with me where ever I go I know. One grandson said it right==First he said=Good. Next sentence--Sad. I have a gal I have known for forever living there too and she too me to check those out. She lost her husband a few years ago, and I knew him real well too. If I am moving I know this is the right place for me........