Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

• 4 weeks later...

I'm finally back, quick family visit.....all stayed in 7 bedroom house for 4 days...two blocks from HotSpring.....great visit.....Still packing and waiting for a buyer to step forward....Garden is great..../

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2089 (2).JPG

IMG_2061 (2).JPG

IMG_2062 (2).JPG

• Like 4

Okay, I've got him.  Sweet little blond too.  Know you all enjoyed yourself.  My second cousin is one of my best friends ever, we are the same age and stay in touch constantly.  We both were medical transcriptionists, she for the VA across town and me for the state hospital on the other side of town.  Never discussed it, we just were.  Our husbands worked together too.  Second cousins are good.

Kevin,

Glad you have made it home safely. Your visit looks like a wonderful adventure.

Meaningless trivia here: My second cousin is the original Gerber baby, Ann Turner Cook. Have never met in person, only conversed with her and her sisters by email. She is much older and much wealthier than I am.  LOL

Fingers crossed for a quick sale of the house.

Kevin,

What a beautiful family you have, thank you for sharing this!  Wow, seven bedrooms, big enough for everyone!  Isn't it amazing how it can start out two people and end up so many?!

I'm glad you had a good time!  Good luck with selling your house!

• 1 month later...

This has been a rough stretch.  Been to my regular doctor, Urgent Care ad then the ER two days in a row.  Complications from getting bronchitis with my lung condition.  I am not used to being that sick so had done many things BUT rest until I got to the point of feeling suffocated.  The worst, of course, was being alone.  No one to drive me or sit with me during the ER especially.  I can’t count how many times I took Steve over the years with his complications with the cancer.  Run out fir burgers if we got hungry, just be there for him.  Had to worry about the dogs too.  No big deal running home if I needed to.  It’s times like this i feel extremely challenged being alone.  Hie presence would have been so comforting.  I chose this topic listing because I am still looking for positives, but is seems to be impossible.  There are many things I handle now that are just life things but when one really needs a hand to hold and a soothing voice it hits very hard.  I’m very sick and have to keep going.  I can’t climb into bed and rest like a regular person.  No matter what and how long it’s been, I’ve never adjusted to that.  Don’t know if I ever will.  See all the people there helping their loved ones.  Hear the phone conversations telling other family what is happening.  I just plod out alone. I think it was Marita in another thread asking when do we get a break.  Guess we don’t. I know George and others get help from their religious beliefs.  Wish that it worked for me.  The only thing I can do is say this is how it is now and will be.  I wish I had someone bring me a shake on a whim when in these situations.  All I can do is ask for crackers from the staff.   Have an appointment with a doc that could be my last hope with my back issue Monday and hoping I can push thru that as it took weeks for this appointment.  I am missing volunteering because of all this too.  Haventbhave any meaningful human contact for days.  That really messes with your head, like it needs any extra help.  Not.  I did watch a feel good movie with Amy Schumer called I Feel Pretty about strength we possess  inside.  It wasn’t about issues like ours, but it was interesting seeing her find it.  

It was ironic that one of my tasks was to do list for the day I accomplIshed none of.  Addled brain over and out.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear things are so tough Gwen.  Being responsible for ourselves without the love and assistance of our beloved is 💩

I am fortunate that my health is relatively good and that my 31 yr old son lives with me.  The relatively good is because I don't have a relationship with my husband's relatives.  I'm an only and my father's family are in Scotland - my mother's family have disowned me because they believe her lies.  I am probably better off without all their drama.  This is starting to sound like a soap opera lol 🤣.  

This comment was supposed to be helpful or comforting for you... are you more comfortable?  I'm just teasing now... 

Perhaps you could feel better knowing that there are many of us out here with the same kind of struggles and that each of us wishes the others well.

May this evening provide you with some gentleness.

Marita

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I did watch a feel good movie with Amy Schumer called I Feel Pretty about strength we possess  inside.

That sounds like the only positive you've had lately.  I'm sorry it's been so rough Gwen.  I brought my sister cherries in her rehab facility yesterday...I wish I could run out and bring you something!  Seems with all the volunteering you've done over the years, you've given to so many others, it'd be nice if just one would give back to YOU!  I know it's hard being so alone, I don't have that person either and it scares me for when I get older.  I watch my sister and am reminded that if I was going through that, I'd be on my own...that wouldn't be so bad, but what do you do with your pets if you can't come home and take care of them?  Very scary.  I hope you have someone looking after yours.

Sometimes the only "task" we can accomplish is staying alive that day.  Sounds like that day was yours.

I do have a positive to share...Jim fixed my washing machine last week and my son fixed the horn on my Volvo Saturday...I drove up there and spent the night, so while he was working on my car, I got to spend time with my grandchildren.  My granddaughter loves doing drama/reenactments (she's three) and my grandson (one) I call smiley because he just runs around smiling all the time!  Their dog, Bruno, badly tore up the pads on his paws on some rocks while out hiking with my son (15 miles in) and Paul had to put Neosporin and gauze and adhesive tape on it and then duct tape the bottom for him to walk back out, it was very painful for him and when they got home, Bruno collapsed on the lawn and wouldn't move for two days.  Paul has been disinfecting it everyday, having to bring him his food and water, but it's healing.  New pads are growing in, it's amazing, I didn't know they regenerated.  He's doing better but no walks for him while it's healing, so I had to give him lots of belly rubs and ear rubs while I was there.  I think Paul needs to have some shoes made for him!

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the words under the image.  Don’t we all wish there was some magic out there that could do this?  I know it seems a weird thing to post, but I can imagine I would feel like this if I saw Steve walking towards me in this life again.  The end of a nightmare.

Ballard Street for Aug 18, 2018 Comic Strip
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello everyone......no home sale yet but moving underway in a piece meal manner.....I have a Friend who looks after the new place for me, so it takes the worry away......The flood scared off initial home buyers so they tell me, now its the smoke/fires.......KayC, what is the smoke like your ways?....Gwen, the feeling of been in the Waiting rooms/hospital rooms alone  is something I can relate to, I hope to avoid that  again if I can help it.....My sincerest understanding.....

• Like 3

Kevin,

I can't complain about the smoke so far, it's been in good to moderate here, last year's was extreme and hazardous, made it difficult with my allergies and Asthma.  I think it's probably worse south of here and north of here, so far we don't have fires real close but I'm so terrified of getting some that I won't even watch that segment of the news.

Good luck with selling the house, maybe when everything dies down a bit it'll attract a new batch of people, I hope so!  I look at it this way, we all have something in our neck of the woods in the form of potential calamities, and our homes are still standing!  Fires are my biggest threat, not earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes.

• Like 1

@kevin  I spoke too soon...the haze is worse, they say we're getting it from Canada now!  In unhealthy range now and close to the even worse one.  Also another fire started nearby, some hot springs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s terrible in Seattle.  Need windows open and so much dust from the haze.  Visibility maybe 2 miles.  I was wondering why I haven’t felt 'clean' since I got home, same with the house.  The hospital was a clean environment.  I could see it, but wasn’t affected by it.  Supposed to start improving by Thursday.  I sure hope so.  I’ve adjusted my OCD need for a pristine house a bit, but constantly finding dust while trying to recover from a lung infection is a constant task.  I’ve seen people out jogging and the news is stressing that people refrain from any strenuous activity til this passes.  Guess they are OCD too.  🙂

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

I’ve adjusted my OCD need for a pristine house a bit,

I used to be 5'2" and think I am 5 feet now after bones settling, anything I cannot reach with my arms or cannot see I don't worry about.  Like Erma Bombeck said, it is only time to clean the coffee table if you can write your name in the dust.  Mama didn't nickname me Moonbeam McSwine for nothing.  

One time the kids had a breaking out on their skin and back in those days  they ruled out the first four diseases that would cause that and called it "the 5th disease."  I just cried and cried that I had made my kids sick with the "filth" disease.  I was never reported to the health department by anyone.  

It is bad here on Vancouver Island too. 

We are at the top of the scale for poor air quality 10+ . My bathroom is being renovated so between the smoke and drywall dust I'm not feeling too perky.  I feel sorry for anyone with breathing problems because this is not good.  My eyes are giving me trouble because of it too.

So here I sit hoping for some rain to quench the fires and wash the smoke out of the air.  Take people.

• Like 1

Marita, we’re close to each other since I am in Seattle.  I’ve just been put on oxygen and now that I’m home from the clean environment of it, I figured out it is the fire haze that makes the house and me feel icky all the time.  I thought my house keeping skills had vanished, but it’s the smoke.  Our visibility is less than 2 miles now.  I can’t imagine having a sheet rock project going too.  I’ve been going thru artificial tears like crazy.  Can smell it in the air.  Waiting the 2 days they say the ocean air will flow in and flush the place out.  

You must be a night owl too.  🙂

• Like 2

They took away the rain forecast...sunny every day.  :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Quite the week, sat down with realtor last week and dropped the price.......There is a bit of an over supply of houses for sale(lots of downsizing going on).....I got two bites within 4 days, and another showing tonight.......I have accepted an offer, just need conditions to be fulfilled......getting closer....

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

So glad for you, Kevin!  Hoping all goes well for you!

• 3 weeks later...