Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

The article said it helps to cry to another person, we don't have anyone to cry to, if we did, we wouldn't have reason to cry, would we!  If our husbands were back, we'd be happy!

• Like 2

Oh, I get that.  

I was thinking more about crying because we have lost our partners.  I know I find it hard to cry when alone, and I really need to cry lately.  So that adds pressure.  It feels pointless if there is no one to share the pain with.  Wasn’t like this in the beginning as it was totally about losing Steve.  I’d cry alone a lot and easily.  Now there are so many things.  My health, really feeling the effects of aging alone, limitations and other losses.  

I don’t know how my counselors do it, but those are my times it happens without even trying.  I need the pain acknowledged with someone.  I have the alone time In abundance.  I hate it.  

I miss having Steve to cry with.  Losing Ally is a perfect example.  Since then I’m dealing with an anger at him for abandoning me.  Grief doesn’t have to make sense, tho it actually does, no matter what the feeling.  If he reappeared now, I would be so angry about all this has put me thru.  I hadn’t thought about til now, but I would have a lot to examine if I could forgive him for.  I love him like no other, but this hurt me so much.  I know it wasn’t his fault, but the effects are tied to him.  I can’t transfer those someplace else that I know of.  

Lets put this way , if he walked in the door, after the disbelief and absolute joy of having him back toned down, we’d be having some long talks about how this affected both of us.  And where the heck he was while this was going on.  So much to sort thru. I want nothing more than to have him back.  Would make everything I am dealing with so much easier. Like I even needed to say that.  It would for all of us in each of our situations.

• Like 7

On 1/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, Gwenivere said:

I don’t know how my counselors do it, but those are my times it happens without even trying.

I think when we know there's a safe caring place we are more able to let down, so that makes sense.

I know I rarely cry anymore but that doesn't mean I don't feel down, to me it's not necessarily an indicator but a release.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, Gwenivere said:

And where the heck he was while this was going on.

I waited a year before I got a dream of George and when I finally got it I was demanding to know where the hell he'd been!  Then I woke up, mad at myself for wasting that precious bit of time with him, getting mad at him!  Ahh but such is grief...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Last night when I layed down for my power nap, I got a memory of when Steve and I would sit on the front porch stairs after a dinner with corn on the cob and each hold one for one of the girls.  It was one of the things we did as a family.  They used to hang around when I shucked it too dragging husks and silk all over was a game. I fell asleep so easily without mental pain.  Just a longing to do that again.  Us laughing, them efficiently getting all the corn as we moved it back, forth and turning it. That was a hard nap to wake up from.  Melody was waiting for her pre dinner popcorn, but that old memory was so intense.  It had been replaced with Ally and Mel waiting for popcorn, but now Ally is gone.  Mel still gets a bit of peanut butter about 1am as that is when Ally used to have her pain pills her last year here.  

It's interesting to remember how traditions started. So many of them. Not just with the furry kids (or you with human ones), we have those times that are so unique to our relationships.  I don't think I could possibly guess a number of things that happened all the time and how.  There is obvious stuff I miss, but I hadn't thought about it in so long because I don't cook corn anymore.

It's like Mel must steal a slipper in the morning while I am dressing and a knee support when undressing.  Something that becomes a part of the routine.  You get hooked on it.    

• Like 1

With Kodie it's socks he grabs light lightening!  I have to be guarded about taking them off with him around.

• Like 1

Must be the scent.  Mel likes my stuff and she always checks out the mail when I drop it on the coffee table.  Same with the Sunday paper.  She definitely smells the delivery person.  

So we know dryers suck socks to another dimension.  Between that and Kodie, how many socks do you wind up losing?  😊

• Like 2

Kodie will grab clean socks I've laid out on my bed to put on too so not always the scent.  He just likes socks.  I had a dog who used to grab my underwear!  I had to be very careful and I have hampers with lids!

I don't lose many because I have to be very careful not to take them off and leave them lay, I HAVE to put them in the hamper!

I have to laugh.  Belle used to steal my bra every morning.  Steve would tell me it was in the back yard.  

My roommate in my 20's dog would tear the crotch out of my danskins.  THAT really annoyed me.  

So you don’t have a sock eating dryer?  Wow, I’m impressed!  

• Like 1

Nope but I had a new pair of socks years ago that were thick and soft and warm (black), I loved them, only got to wear them a couple of times, never got rid of the spare, hoping the other would eventually turn up, but nope!  Since I've given away my clothes since then I guess I can safely toss it.  :(  I always thought if I threw it away then the other would turn up inside a sleeve or something!

• Like 1

There was a bunny in our backyard yesterday!  In over 30 years I’ve never seen one here.  Mel gave chase but it went under the deck.  It was so cute with it’s twitching nose not more than a couple feet from the sliding back door. Have no idea where it came from.  We have rats, squirrels, possums, raccoons and moles as ground creatures.   Was a nice touch to another drab grief day.  🐇

• Like 3

I saw a Mr. Bunny on my usual walk around the basketball court on Sunday. A cute brown bunny! He was just sitting in the grass, and didn't move the entire time, but I saw his little nose moving- I got pretty close! Haven't seen here before or since. I thought it may be because of the time change that I happened to catch him, but he wasn't there today. I'd like to think that Annette sent him to cheer me up. We had so many bunnies in our backyard in Tulsa. 

• Like 2

I'm glad you got that treat!  We used to have bunnies nearby but they are easy prey for wild animals and disappeared.  Someone's pets turned loose.  Never a good idea.

That’s the one thing about rabbits that always saddened me.  They are prey animals.  Why do they have to be so darned cute?  Definitely an evolution mishap.  I don’t want to touch other critters, but I had rabbits once and they are so soft and cuddly.

• Like 1

I used to have bunnies in my yard but haven't seen any lately.  Maddie got so used to them she'd just watch them as they darted past her.  She would sniff around their usual path, but would never chase them.  Our community has coyotes, so have a feeling that is why I haven't seen them lately.  Or, could just be my lousy vision.  LOL.  Dee

• Like 2

I had friends that grew rabbits for food, I don't think I could do that.  They are very sweet animals.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love some of the Keto recipes I've been trying for casseroles, but gosh I don't think I could limit myself to three items!  I love everything except hominy and okra!  Guess I wouldn't make a very good southern girl, but maybe if I was raised there I'd feel differently?

The common things I make are bratwurst, chicken, eggs but love yogurt w/whip cream & berries, peanut butter cups have always been my favorite candy bar and I have Keto recipes for them but haven't tried them yet...I make peanut butter mousse that is really good and also a lemon whip that is out of this world (to me)!  Can't beat chocolate!  I just converted my MIL's Chocolate Marvel Pie to keto so I can make it now with a nut crust, plan to make it for Father's Day when our church gives "Pies to the Guys!"

Not a limit, just curious about ones top 3.  I just briefly looked up keto.  Are you doing that for diabetes?  I’d have a horrid time giving up carbs.  My BIL did something similar for weight loss.

• Like 1

Top three for me is anything with Peanut Butter, any type of Cake with good Icing, and Mac and Cheese.........beverage of Choice Bud Lite.......I'm low carb so these are fantasy foods, except once or twice a month I cheat....If my weight drops another 10-15 lbs(and BS co operates) may indulge tad more..Moving in 4 days, panic has sunk in......

• Like 2

Is it the house you posted here a while back?  It'll go well, it'll be behind you soon enough!

Yes I'm doing this for my diabetes, the only thing that's ever helped it.  It's also improved other areas of my health as well, unexpectedly.  Right now all the stress has my BP high so may have to switch Rxs on down the road...and I just paid for a three month supply, wouldn't you know!  
Okay, chocolate, peanut butter, coffee!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

If your had to pick 3 things, what would they be?

Ok, I'll play this game.  My Mom's red beans and rice, or a fried oyster sandwich on french bread made with the perfect Hood Canal oysters Bob used to fry for me, and lemon meringue pie..... but not in the same meal.  LOL  Dee

• Like 1

Yes KayC, same house.........All is really well, I downsized, met new partner, and we are too squeezed in with our cumulative junk......This is definitely last move until I turn 90..........(i'm optimistic)

• Like 3