Grief Healing Discussion Groups

It has been 15 months since my beloved Al left this earth.  In one way it seems like he was just here and in another it seems like forever since I held him and saw him.  Can't believe I have made it this long without him.  The thought of continuing on without him is hard to conceive.

• Upvote 7

((((Gin)))) Forever and yesterday.  My truth too.  It is hard to conceive.  It comes to me, that thought, and my head involuntarily shakes  back and forth -- as if to try to shake me out of the surreal nightmare.

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, Gin said:

The thought of continuing on without him is hard to conceive.

And that my dear Gin is the rub.  Trying to conceptualize a future void of that one person who made us feel complete.  I know I need to define my new normal; the new normal I currently find myself in is not what I want.  What I want I cannot have.  So I need to either find a way to continue in solitude and be content with that; yet I miss persoanl interaction.  Or I need to find a way to open myself up for new experiences.  The trouble is the things I have always enjoyed are pretty much solitary activities.  

• Upvote 4

I think looking ahead and seeing our lives being lived alone from our lost one(s) is the thing that is hardest to explain to someone who has never lost someone they truly love.  You can't just say well imagine what it would be like .... They have no real form of reference with regard to never seeing that special person alive again; their special people are alive.

Yesterday was 52 weeks for me.  Tomorrow is the 5th of the month so that makes it a year.  

To those of you who have been widowed longer I must thank you for sharing what is in your minds and in your hearts.  I pray for peace on earth for all of us.

?

• Upvote 4

Thanks Brad and Marty, your kindness means so much.  

Everyone on here has been so much more supportive and understanding than any of my non-cyber friends.  Not only are the people here caring and truthful they are real.  We are here for ourselves and each other and it is mutually beneficial in so many ways.

The non-cyber friends/acquaintances/relatives all have their own agenda for what they can benefit from me and my 'unfortunate situation'.  

• Upvote 2

Gin these marker days are hard I hate them  it is hard to picture our lives without them but we muster up the strength to carry on, trying to find hope in all this emptiness and sadness one day we will get there.Even though it is one more day they have been out of our lives it is also one day closer to be reunited with them again bitter/sweet.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

I think looking ahead and seeing our lives being lived alone from our lost one(s) is the thing that is hardest to explain to someone who has never lost someone they truly love.  You can't just say well imagine what it would be like .... They have no real form of reference with regard to never seeing that special person alive again; their special people are alive.

?

so true.  I remember trying to imagine what it would be like before my wife died and I just couldn't face it or imagined it.  Even now at 22+ months, it is hard for me to grasp.  If I try to think beyond today my world shakes and crumbles.  I can only look at today and live as best I can today.

I'm working on living in the REALITY of Today and ACCEPTANCE of what is as it is. Some days I can pull it off and on other days it is a spiral of memories, wishes, and dashed hopes of future plans. This is another reason to come here and see how the rest of us "left behinders" are fairing on our grief walk and hopefully able to help each other who truly understand our plight.  - Shalom     

• Upvote 3

Marita,

Thinking of you today.  I know it doesn't feel any better to have a year under your belt, but at least you've survived the "firsts without".  You know what this journey is now and you've managed to survive one year.  Now just do it again one more day.  You're in my thoughts and prayers.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Gin said:

The thought of continuing on without him is hard to conceive.

Try not to think about it then.  Just get through today.  One day at a time...today.

• Upvote 2

Thank you to everyone for their kindness and understanding.

Since I don't expect life to become all sunny and warm just because I'm moving into the second year the overcast sky and -8 C weather is not a huge surprise or disappointment.  I don't know what to expect for the remainder of the day but all of the understanding and kindness given here will certainly help me with each step I take.

I don't know why my husband had to die to test my strengths.  I do know my love for him has continued to grow.

• Upvote 3

Marita,.   Wishing peace today and all thru the next year.  Our weather here is not much better, but I go out no matter what.  I have to get away from the lonely house for a little while.  I checked out a yoga class today.  I might join.  No matter how many things I join, I am still alone and lonely.

Ana...thanks.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

I don't know why my husband had to die to test my strengths.

I don't look for "reasons" why he died, it just happened.  I don't think that's why any of them died.  I don't look for meaning in it so much as how to get through it and rebuild my life into something tolerable with a measure of joy thrown in now and then.  It's all pretty unfair!

• Upvote 2