Grief Healing Discussion Groups

To all my friends here

Just wanted to tell all my friends here to have as Merry  Christmas as you can.  I know that this is a very hard time for all of us.  Life as we knew it is gone.  I will have some time with my daughter and grandchildren tomorrow.  Another daughter on Saturday.   Hard to be too enthusiastic about anything, but I will do my best.  Take care of yourselves and keep posting.  Gin

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tomorrow I want to get buffet food for the 2 nights. stop and see a couple people where I volunteer and maybe my weekend acquaintance on Xmas day.  This will be a first with no decorations.  I feel ether way will make me feel more sad so picked the one with not having to put them away.  I don’t know about where Dee is south of me, but we have been pummeled with rain and darkness so that adds to the melancholy.   

Like Brat said.....many hugs to you all.  My wish is we all either 'get thru it' or enjoy the time with family If you have them.  ❤️

• Like 4

Four of us are going to make do with Taco's and Enchilada's, and Albert's hot sauce and homemade guacamole.  We have three trees up in various sizes, not big.  I'm going to leave them up all year,  just because I can.  Shirtsleeve weather.  This is the south.  Kelli is going to get Scott in Savannah on the 30th.  He is ready to come home.  He likes his own place.  You all have as good as you can of these holidays.  It will be the last one with my friend/classmate/cousin.  It came on her fast, like it did Billy.  Her brother will go before or right after her. But, none of us are promised tomorrow.

Sometimes I think the 54-years with Billy were a fairy tale.  Time seemed to go so fast and the book was not very long, but a longer story than most of you.  We had many dragons to slay, and as long as we were together it was happily ever after..

Is George okay?  Anyone heard from Cookie? 

• Like 4

George is OK.  I did worry when he was gone for a week after surgery.  He'll post when he feels like it.  You are right, Cookie hasn’t posted in a long time.  I don’t have a personal contact wth her.  Does anyone?  

• Like 2

Wishing peace for all of us during this holiday season.

The guys, dogs and I will be having meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and asparagus for Christmas. Not exactly traditional, but nothing is anymore.

• Like 2

No, haven't heard from Cookie in a long time. I am at my son's, going home and will have a lot of work to do. My daughter is coming tomorrow.

Wishing you all the best Christmas possible.

• Like 3

Oh Kay, I am so glad your daughter is coming.  My granddaughter (the 36-year-old one) has had a tough life and has two children.  We southern women sometimes have to be "steel magnolias" and I hope for a happy life for all my "steel magnolias."  Sometimes they have to kiss a lot of frogs to find their prince.  I hope I live long enough to see them all happy.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KarenK said:

The guys, dogs and I will be having meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and asparagus for Christmas. Not exactly traditional, but nothing is anymore.

Karen:  Thank you for the Christmas Wishes.  I think your non-traditional meal sounded wonderful.  I had my son, his girlfriend and her son, and my two grandkids over.  No one wanted a meal, just wanted snacks, chips, cheese and crackers, etc.  Son's girlfriend added to my spread with some more snacks.  Then we opened gifts.  Was fun having them but I am exhausted.  Out of practice with my entertaining skills for sure.  Merry Christmas.  Dee

• Like 3

My meal won't be fancy either as I did not know until Monday as I was literally walking out the door that my daughter would be coming.  So a roasted chicken stuffed, with veggies and salad and a cranberry "dessert" will be our fare.  

Dee, that sounds like a wonderful time! I was overnight at my son's, we had a good time, videoing Kodie, watching my grandkids open presents, going out to eat, and doing the light tour...came home to a 53 degree house so had to clean out the wood stove and build a fire, walk Joe, and get Kitty to eat.  I'm afraid I'm losing her soon, she's skin and bones and cranky as all get out.  :(

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kayc said:

My meal won't be fancy either as I did not know until Monday as I was literally walking out the door that my daughter would be coming.  So a roasted chicken stuffed, with veggies and salad and a cranberry "dessert" will be our fare.  

Dee, that sounds like a wonderful time! I was overnight at my son's, we had a good time, videoing Kodie, watching my grandkids open presents, going out to eat, and doing the light tour...came home to a 53 degree house so had to clean out the wood stove and build a fire, walk Joe, and get Kitty to eat.  I'm afraid I'm losing her soon, she's skin and bones and cranky as all get out.  :(

kayc:  Your Christmas Meal sounded really yummy plus your additional duties would have me more than exhausted.  You are a wonder woman!   Good that Kodie is a good traveler.  I bet the kids just loved on her.  Your Christmas celebrations sounded really fun and special.

Sorry to  hear your kitty is failing.  I know what you are going through trying to get her to eat.  Maddie had a change in her chemo this last appointment and has lost all desire to eat.  But, I can get her to eat by hand feeding her cooked chicken breast  and some salmon my husband had canned.  I had been saving it for awhile.  Guess this was the reason I was saving it.   Dee

• Like 3

Reading all this food stuff is amazing in our adaptability.  Not that we really have a choice.  I’m kinda drowning in food having overdone prepared meals that all sounded tempting.  I have a traditional turkey dinner, a salmon fillet with pasta and a new 'keto' pizza I wanted to try which is basically a pizza casserole as there is no crust.  I’m covered for days!  

I do envy you that got some family time.  I am going over to visit an aquiantance til she needs to start preparing she and her wife’s dinner. I was invited over to an old friends for food, but she lives about 11 miles away and I would have to drive home in the dark and my body is used to a big meal much later in the evening.  I know we’re all alone when it comes to the night, but I sure wish I had some tight connections during the day.  These are times that my inability to have children come up.  With Steve we put that energy into the fur babies and acceptance.i  Even a niece or nephew would be nice.  Steve’s remaining family don’t really include me in anything like news or just calling to say hi.  His sister did, but she died too.  

Wow, I’m sorry to post downer stuff on Christmas Day.  I’m really happy for all of you that had some warm times.  A bit green is all.  Better spent on a tree.  🎄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gwenivere said:

Reading all this food stuff is amazing in our adaptability.  Not that we really have a choice.  I’m kinda drowning in food having overdone prepared meals that all sounded tempting.  I have a traditional turkey dinner, a salmon fillet with pasta and a new 'keto' pizza I wanted to try which is basically a pizza casserole as there is no crust.  I’m covered for days!  

Even a niece or nephew would be nice.  Steve’s remaining family don’t really include me in anything like news or just calling to say hi.  His sister did, but she died too.  

I’m really happy for all of you that had some warm times.  A bit green is all.    🎄

Gwen:  Wow, sounds like you had fun choosing your food selections.  Let us know about the 'keto pizza'.  I crave pizza some days but have to talk myself out of it due to the bad calories. 

The two nieces I have stopped corresponding with me years ago.  My only brother had passed away at the early age of 40 and as long as my Mother was alive my widowed sister-in- law  kept in touch, and one of the nieces.  My Mom passed in 2000 and after that the Christmas cards stopped and we lost touch.  I did get to see my husband's sister last week which was nice but my husband's cousins are all so busy with their families I hardly get more than a Christmas card from them.  Such is life.

I am spending my Christmas Day alone in my jammies still, doing just what I feel like doing, which isn't much.  It is my gift to myself.  I found out Maddie loves deli turkey slices - hope it is okay to feed her that, but was not being successful finding dog food she will eat.  Have a Good Christmas Day - it is almost in the past.  Dee

• Like 3

This has been a tough one in some ways, as it's the time of year when Mark was just coming around from his first brush with death, awake, talking, eating a little dinner, moving around in the ICU bed.  We had a little Christmas with him in the hospital room, and spirits were hopeful all around.  Little did we know...  but while this time around was indeed tough, something interesting happened today, on Christmas.  About a week ago I was digging around in a cabinet and found an overnight bag, just a little one that is meant for toiletries, probably intended for guys. 😎  It had gotten shoved into a corner under some towels or something.  I decided to take it with me for my overnight visit to immediate family, and just shoved personal effects without really looking, stashed it in my duffel bag, and off I went.  Today I was getting ready for dinner at 1pm, and took my toiletry bag to the bathroom.  When I opened it, I found a ten dollar bill in one of the pockets.  Logically, it was always there, left behind during one of our trips in the past.  But today, it felt like a surprise gift from him, because he was the last person to touch it. I have no idea how long the bag itself was sitting under the towels, either, so across time and space, I like to think he left this for me.

• Like 5

On 12/24/2019 at 12:44 AM, Gwenivere said:

George is OK.  I did worry when he was gone for a week after surgery.  He'll post when he feels like it.  You are right, Cookie hasn’t posted in a long time.  I don’t have a personal contact wth her.  Does anyone?  

Also Mitch, I think Xmas Eve was too an anniversary for him. 

• Like 1

This has been a most horrible Xmas. My dad has recently been diagnosed with a disabling disease, my mother is drained and lashes out her anger on him and us. I had a fight with my youngest sibling for his attitude on this matter. I ate dinner without uttering a word. I left the table before midnight. Today I spent lunch at a relative's feeling so sad and alone. 

Last month I have been diagnosed with depression and I have to take medication. This news destroyed me. Five years later, I got sick.

How can I think that life is a precious thing?

I feel so so so alone

• Like 4

Xmas Eve is Mitch’s wedding anniversary.  I hope he is OK.  

Ana, I have severe depression too.  Taking meds too.  I hate that I have to also, but I don’t want to become unable to function.  I don’t know if there is a way out of this, but it beats never getting dressed or leaving the house.  

I’m so sorry about your dad.  More sorry it sounds like your family isn’t supportive of him and you.  It’s when we need it most and assume our family will be a haven.  Hugs to you thru this tough time.  🌹

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, scba said:

This has been a most horrible Xmas. My dad has recently been diagnosed with a disabling disease, my mother is drained and lashes out her anger on him and us. I had a fight with my youngest sibling for his attitude on this matter.

Last month I have been diagnosed with depression and I have to take medication. This news destroyed me. Five years later, I got sick.

I feel so so so alone

Ana:  Your comment of feeling so alone is understandable with what you and your family are going through.  This time of the year life sometimes does not seem fair especially when we see so many people around us enjoying their Holiday Season while we are unhappy.  Please know you have support on this forum even though it is on-line support.  Keeping you and your Dad in my thoughts.  Dee  

• Like 4

Christmas day didn't go as I'd anticipated.  I stuffed the chicken and put it and some veggies in the romertopf 475 degrees for an hour like it said.  Pulled it out, inserted meat therm. into breast and it said 168 (should be 170), tried a couple other spots, lower, pulled the stuffing out, it was raw inside.  Decided to transfer it to stoneware, put it back in oven, whiich was much cooler by now.  I heard a noise and looked, liquid pouring into oven and onto floor.  Opened the door, saw the stoneware broke in half, shouldn't have.  Had a time trying to get another platter under it, had difficulty cleaning up oven and floor.  My daughter arrived...told me her husband is giving her the "gift" of a divorce for Christmas, she was crying.  She said she hasn't contacted family much this year because she's basically shut down and can't talk about it and all she does is work.  Her life is horrible and this has been going on nearly three years since she lost her baby.  That was when he decided he was "done with her."  This is someone she has loved for 19 years, been married over ten years.  I wish George was alive, he would have done something.  At the very least had a heart to heart talk with him, maybe something more drastic, I don't know what (pummeled him in a dark alley?...I've felt like it a time or two!).  Her dad has done nothing.  I only know George would not take inaction, he would have tried to get through to him.  At least TRIED!  I tried, but I think a man talking to him would have gotten further.  

I guess Christmas accentuates whatever situation we are in.  I took her around to meet some of the new neighbors and their dogs.  Wish  it could have been more festive but how festive can it be under the circumstances?  I know once she gets rid of him (if/when) she can begin the healing process and maybe her life can get better.  But right now she is in so much pain.

Ana, I am so sorry you are going through so much.  (((hugs)))  I know this is a hard time for Mitch too.

• Like 4

Ana,  so sorry to hear about your father and all the stress you are having. And, Kay, your poor daughter. I hope this guy just gets on down the road. How very unfeeling he is.

My Xmas went well. Just spent the day watching some really dumb movies on the free channel. Just another day in paradise. LOL  My son got me this Kindle as I read so much. Will take a lot of getting used to as I  do not even use a cell phone, much less a smartphone. Technology rules, I guess.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KarenK said:

My Xmas went well. Just spent the day watching some really dumb movies on the free channel. Just another day in paradise. LOL  My son got me this Kindle as I read so much. Will take a lot of getting used to as I  do not even use a cell phone, much less a smartphone. Technology rules, I guess.

KarenK:  Nice to hear your Christmas went well.  Your son's gift sounds really nice.  I am wondering if you will find it easy to use.  I will be anxious to hear how you do with it.  Since I have macular degeneration I have been noticing many on the Facebook site for MD have a Kindle Paperwhite which supposed to be easier for reading for MD folks.   I haven't been much of a reader, but thought I'd check into this now that TV can be so boring.   If my memory serves me correctly,  I think Marg says she has one she uses a lot.  Dee

9 hours ago, kayc said:

Christmas day didn't go as I'd anticipated.

Opened the door, saw the stoneware broke in half, shouldn't have.  Had a time trying to get another platter under it, had difficulty cleaning up oven and floor. 

My daughter arrived...told me her husband is giving her the "gift" of a divorce for Christmas, she was crying.  She said she hasn't contacted family much this year because she's basically shut down and can't talk about it and all she does is work.  Her life is horrible and this has been going on nearly three years since she lost her baby.  That was when he decided he was "done with her."  This is someone she has loved for 19 years, been married over ten years.

Wish  it could have been more festive but how festive can it be under the circumstances?  I know once she gets rid of him (if/when) she can begin the healing process and maybe her life can get better. 

kayc:  Sorry your Christmas Dinner didn't go as you hoped.  This meal will be one to remember for sure.  Maybe someday you will be able to laugh about it.

I can imagine your heartache as your daughter poured out her sad news to you.  Her husband doesn't sound like a very kind man to end a 10 year marriage in this manner.  When my daughter's marriage was falling apart she removed herself from us in order to keep us from getting involved similar to your daughter's removal from the family.  Sounds like your daughter by coming to spend Christmas with you is her first big step to take her life back where she might find some happiness.  If she is like her Mother, she will find her way.  Best wishes, Dee.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1