Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

We have definitely had some winter here but are currently in a break, mostly rain, cold weather, tiny bits of snow, not much, I am personally thankful as my hand could not take the shoveling, hard enough getting wood in and loading the fire.

Went to doctor yesterday, 2nd degree burns, the flesh peeled off my little finger along with the bandage, it's in a lot of pain.  Went to the pharmacy next door to them and stocked up on a roll of gauze, tape (not very good but they didn't have much to choose from), bandages (turned out way too big for finger but maybe I can use them on the skin cancer after I get it removed).

I think the East has gotten it's share of snow, my friend in PA got some yesterday..

• Like 2

Thank you, Dee!

• Like 1

We have been watching tornadoes blow above and some hit down.  The weather is not typical Christmas weather, but it is typical Louisiana weather.  Took my sister for her PET scan yesterday, my daughter drove my car, the traffic is too much for me.  I can handle the traffic in our close to 12,000 population town.  At one time on interstate a new car cut over in our lane so it could hurry up the off ramp.  Crossed three lanes.  It didn't hit us, but was close enough if Kelli hadn't slowed down.  I can feel my age, I probably slept 12 hours.  I was tired out.  This was in Shreveport where the PET scanner was.  The spot in her head/neck area was gone and the tumor itself had shrunk tremendously.  Her chemo today didn't involve the hand and feet nerve tingler and made it where she could taste her food.  She had lost one pound, but is hungry all the time and eats whatever her stoma will allow.  

I know it gets too cold for some places and sure hate your hands won't allow you to do the things you want and need to do, Kay.  Hope everyone feels some better soon.  

• Like 3

Marg, good news about your sister's scan! I know chemo plays hell with sensitivity in hands and feet. She might try Alpha Lipoic Acid(available at Walmart). Ron used to take it for diabetic neuropathy. Not instant relief so takes a few weeks to help.

I have always avoided the freeways unless we were headed out of town. Too many drivers and too little caution. Almost every day here there is a "wrong way driver" incident on a freeway, usually involving alcohol. Seriously, how can you enter a freeway against the traffic, continue for miles, and not notice?

I saw the tornadoes on the weather channel. Glad you are safe.

• Like 3

Great news about her scan, Marg!  I heard about the tornadoes, scary!  Tachi (loss of parent) mentioned that too, I think he's in TX, I could be wrong though.  

3 hours ago, KarenK said:

Almost every day here there is a "wrong way driver" incident on a freeway, usually involving alcohol.

Yep, that or old age.  We had one in the valley this week, created a huge problem.  Someone died or in the hospital.

Keep safe!!

• Like 1

I often wondered if other states faced this problem. Logical that they do as stupid drivers are not exclusive to Arizona. There have been 42 wrong way crashes in Arizona this year with amounts increasing every year. That is not counting the times that police were alerted in time to stop the driver before an accident. Just ridiculous!

• Like 2

My brother and sister-in-law, both are going through dementia.  Billy's nephew too.  His  brother-in-law got angry because his daughter (their caretaker and a school teacher also) has taken the keys away from her mom and dad.  She is not married and lives with them to take care of them.  He actually spent the night in jail.  I think he is about 86, and it was his first night ever in jail.  That, along with the dementia really aggravated him, and I feel so sorry for my niece.  He wants to go for a long ride in the morning, with her driving the countryside down close to the Rio Grande, and he is okay for the day.  He was a tractor mechanic and a car mechanic and this sitting around is very hard on him and she has to go get her mom from walking away from home.  A lot of worry on a woman, (she is my daughter's age) but I guess I still think of them as children.  He was wrong-way driving on I-25 (think the name was).  They live in one of the small towns below Albuquerque, Los Lunas, I think.  He sure was shocked to spend the night in jail.  He does not drink.  Hurt his feelings and he is very stubborn.  No more driving though, he understands.  My sister-in-law falls a lot.  So, we are thankful for whatever wits we still have, knowing so many younger than us are going through hell. 

Interstates are for those in a hurry and they usually hurry and wait because of the wrecks.  Y'all stay safe.  

• Like 3

Keto will reverse dementia, but most don't want to change their diet, my sister refused.  Worth a shot!  It's an easy diet for me, hardest part was making up my mind to do it.

This just happened here in our quiet little town, the little girl was handing out candy in the parade and this driver SPED UP DELIBERATELY to hit them, he got her.  My friend, an EMT told her account, it is heart wrenching what it did to them all, but this poor little girl sustained horrible injuries through no fault of her own.  I hope they throw away the key, we don't want him back!  He lives just down the road from my church...LIVED just down the road from my church...now he has new residence at the jail.
https://kval.com/news/local/deputies-driver-charged-with-assault-after-hitting-child-with-car-at-christmas-parade#

• Like 3

I tried the Atkins diet years ago, more than once, and that was back when if you bought the expensive "sticks" and urinated on them, if they showed purple, you were in "ketosis" and the diet was working.  

Unfortunately, the low moisture diet I have to live/or die on only has the meats and fats in common.  I can have carbs, many carbs, many terribly unhealthy carbs.  I miss my fruitcake (most people hate), I miss the nuts, cereals made of corn (I can have Rice Chex, all of the wonderful vegetables with low carbs, the ones that country people eat, I can't have.  I can have a lot  of root vegetables.  I can see where fiber would make for a good elimination diet, unfortunately, it would kill me.  I have to just try to keep the diabetes at bay.  So far, it has been nine years, I've done okay, except the weight has stabilized, as "fat."  Billy would not like that, but he is not here.  I had even lost 10 pounds.  I do drink Glucerna now instead of Boost, etc.  I guess it made a difference.  Believe me, my diet comes with warnings.  I tried white chocolate with Scott telling me it was still chocolate.  I have seven crosses I pray to in front of my necessity.  I was at home about four days after eating the white chocolate, and I've promised God I will not eat it again.  I sure miss nuts and trail mixes.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Margm said:

I miss my fruitcake (most people hate)

My mom used to get me one for Christmas, I'm the only one that liked them so usually got it to myself...can't have them anymore but think of her...

White chocolate is made with a blend of sugar, cocoa butter, milk products, vanilla, and a fatty substance called lecithin. Technically, white chocolate is not a chocolate—and it doesn't really taste like one—because it doesn't contain chocolate solids.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kayc said:

White chocolate is made with a blend of sugar, cocoa butter, milk products, vanilla, and a fatty substance called lecithin. Technically, white chocolate is not a chocolate—and it doesn't really taste like one—because it doesn't contain chocolate solids.

Chocolate or not, I can't tolerate it.  Not surprised though.  Perhaps it is the cocoa bean that causes problems, with me. 

Cocoa butter, also called theobroma oil, is a pale-yellow, edible fat extracted from the cocoa bean.

• Sad 1

I have a story very similar to Marg...My youngest daughter almost froze her feet off..She was at burn unit and feet black...It was all drug related...My plan was to get her south so it won't happen again...She OD" d last summer and it took 4 shots to bring her back..(Fendenal)..........The sad part is she has a  beautiful daughter and she still won't get her act together   She is 40, definitely Skitzophrenic , such a waste.......Daughter lives up here with her Dad...Kay we have lots of shelters, but as mentioned, a lot of homeless don't want a Shelter, they prefer tents and privacy....Shelters for washrooms and hygiene...They are mentally ill...

• Sad 3

"My opinion" and I'm pretty sure I'm right, the schizophrenia comes from the amount of, and different drugs.  The fentanyl is so deadly.  My grandson has a daughter, and a teenage son he did not know about.  The family of this child does not want him to get to know of us.  His biological father, my grandson, is incapable of being a father.  My granddaughter (adopted), her biomom took drugs until she was born.  She has some problems from this, but a smarter, more beautiful, sweeter young woman (granddaughter) cannot be found.  It happens. My son was able to overcome his, and it was into the "shooting up" phase with dirty needles.  A year of hepatitis C treatment, but we were able to pull him out, with his overall help.  So many people have a story to tell of this.  It is sad.  They say addiction is inherited and my great grandfather died in a charity hospital from either stomach cancer or alcohol poisoning.  My beautiful cousin, majorette, beauty, homecoming, etc., died in her 16-year-old son's arms of alcohol poisoning.  She drank at home.  She was so sweet, quiet.  So many stories.  My son just waits for the call.  He stays depressed, thinking it was his fault, but it is the culture too. 

• Sad 2

So sad, both of your stories.  My first husband (not my kids' dad) was schizophrenic and extremely violent and abusive.  Scary!

He was diagnosed at 16, way before drugs, he started them much later, then turned to alcohol, that's when I gave up, I realized it'd always be something with him.  He's a burned out drug addict/alcoholic now, pathetic, I keep track of where he lives and make sure not to go in that area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sent my daughter half her Christmas gift(money) and double checked with her Mother to coordinate currency giftsso we spread it out .....as it all goes pretty fast .She sounds not too bad and I have hopes I can get her somewhat straight for the summer...I have hope, her Brothers not as hopeful....

• Like 3

I pray you're right...

14 hours ago, kevin said:

.I have hope, her Brothers not as hopeful....

Your having an open communication with her mother, that sounds like some hope for her.  I sure hope so.  We feel your pain.    

• Like 2

Got a call from my daughter last night and she was more confused and paranoid  than usual....I agreed to send her early Christmas gift....Re emphasized that if she straightened out, stayed clean for a month these feelings would clear up....That only ended with I don't know anything.....Then I lost it and explained I volunteered for two winters at the Shelters and I do know...Long story short, she now has money from the Old man, the government, and her mother to get her through the cold snap, or they will party in the hotel for three days and it all starts again...What a life for a Child with so much promise....Minus 40 up here this morning

• Sad 2

I sympathize.  Grandson won awards for his paintings.  I wonder if he can still paint.  My son used to think he had a huge gift if he could buy the paints, wood panels and canvases.  Perhaps without the drugs, he has lost his desire to paint.  He goes to work at VA and is steady.  If his talent was fueled with drugs, I prefer him as he is, but I remember a time when he painted because he is an artist.  I can only hope and pray.  Mama used to say to my magical mind "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."  My mother-in-law said "wish in one hand and _____ in the other and see which one fills up the fastest."  Reality.  I wish your family luck.  Our temperatures for Friday are supposed to be 24 and 13.  We do not acclimate to such lows.  Y'all would think you had a heat spell.   

• Like 3

I am so sorry, Kevin, has to be the hardest thing in the world.  

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 10:56 AM, Margm said:

I sympathize.  Grandson won awards for his paintings.  I wonder if he can still paint.  My son used to think he had a huge gift if he could buy the paints, wood panels and canvases.  Perhaps without the drugs, he has lost his desire to paint.  He goes to work at VA and is steady.  If his talent was fueled with drugs, I prefer him as he is, but I remember a time when he painted because he is an artist.  I can only hope and pray.  Mama used to say to my magical mind "if wishes were horses, beggars would ride."  My mother-in-law said "wish in one hand and _____ in the other and see which one fills up the fastest."  Reality.  I wish your family luck.  Our temperatures for Friday are supposed to be 24 and 13.  We do not acclimate to such lows.  Y'all would think you had a heat spell.   

My Dad said the same phrase. It is a an extreme cold snap here as well. The lowest in twenty three years.. low 15*F. It is about thirty degrees below normal for this time of year. Merry Christmas Margm

• Like 3

My son got me a new clock radio, exactly what I wanted. My existing one is probably 50 years old. Still works, but has more static than music. Hoping a new one can actually find stations. I hate being woken up by a beeping alarm, would much rather it be music blasting.  lol  it will be nice for the few times I actually have a reason to be somewhere on time.

• Like 5

Oh how great!  I'm so glad for you!  Yes, I'm sure the new one will pick up stations better.  It's amazing how the old things keep working, if only the new would do as well!  Merry Christmas, Karen!