Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

I couldn’t take beeps either.  Tried it where they.  start soft getting louder even Nope.  Now its just finding a volume that doesn’t scare the bejeezus out of me.  I wish it didn’t have so many pills to take so I could get up when I wanted or had to.  Those days are long gone.  Great present, Karen!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Temperatures in Edmonton are above Freezing Thursday afternoon for the first time since Nov. 27. That means the city went 52 days without getting above Freezing zero and that streak ties 1978 for the third-longest on record. Only 1956 (83 days) and 1950 (67 days) had longer stretches of sub-freezing daytime highs.4 days ago.....but alas in 4 days we slip back down again..waiting for Groundhog.....Taking down Christmas stuff this week...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Our lows at night come in at 30+ all week.  We have a beautiful day today, sky is so blue, temperature in the 50's.  Maybe into the 60's a couple of days.  Enjoy that but know this is still January and we have not had winter yet.  Even had some days in the 70's.  Christmas was cold, 2-3 days of 20's at night and high 30's in the day.  Not really bragging.  We get hit with that hot air against the cold air and we are sitting ducks for tornadoes.  I dread those.  The little flower bulbs have already decided it is spring and the tree outside my mailbox has sprouts of new growth.  These weather reporters even take up my soap opera time letting us know where the tornadoes are located when we get the bad weather.  At least the greenery and flowers are not fooled where you are and come up to be knocked down.  I won't lie though, if we could have 70 degrees during the day and 40's at night, that would be ideal.  Get your fluffy blankets out and enjoy the weather, I know, you are used to, and I know it is beautiful.  

• Like 2

20-30 at night here and daytime often has a high of 30.

• Like 2

Sounds great to me, Karen! 

• Like 1

I loved that country Karen.  In Tuscon and surrounding areas, the desert just made the mountains in the distance more beautiful.  On the border of NM and AZ was a mountain name of Escudilla, in the White Mountains Range.  Billy wanted to tent camp (our RV was in Benson, AZ.)  I got one of my "ghost" feelings and could not stay there.  Scott always called me psychic, but I just claimed to psycho.  Of course, I will never go again, without Billy, but I loved Arizona and NM. Our RV club had a park in Wickenburg, but we never made it that far north.   I know it gets too hot in the summer.  

• Like 1

Your NM adventures sound like so much fun, Marg. My many NM trips were mostly to Gallup and Zuni for Native American things and to Carlsbad(as a child) to visit relatives. I faintly remember falling into a creek in Ruidoso one time.  lol  Have wanted to check out the Gila Wilderness since you mentioned it. Maybe some day.....

• Like 2

Yes, have been to both.  Scott was only about 10 or 11 one time we went and he almost backed off a mountain.  Scared me so bad.  We usually would stay at (I hope I remember this right) Wagonwheel Gap.  It was right on the Rio Grande (I think).  We went up a little road we found out was only for jeeps (in a Volkswagen) and came out on top of one of those huge mountains and looked down into a beautiful lake, Lake San Cristobal, and a quaint little town of Lake City, Colorado.  We tried to go to that area every time.  So many beautiful memories.  I have lived a full life and wish I could do it all over again.  

7 hours ago, Margm said:

we were all over those two states and Colorado. 

George and I wanted to do this when we retired, of course that didn't happen, he died much too soon.  We'll have to do our travel in heaven.

3 hours ago, Margm said:

he almost backed off a mountain.

OMG!  Would have scared me to death!  Reminds me of Luci Arnez "honeymoon" movie when they took their trailer on that single lane winding mountainous road with sheer drops, no guardrails!  Always had me on the edge of my seat!

Yesterday it got into upper 30s here, cold but beautiful.  Sunshining (but cold) all week!  Snowing Sunday.

• Like 1

I think it is 47 degrees.  May be some ice forecast, but no snow.  I used to make good mud pies when I was a kid, and that still is my skill.  Can't eat them though.  At least with snow, I could make great snow ice cream.  With my no cook status now, mud pies are my specialty.  Muddy, crawfishy Louisiana.  Got up at about 4:00 a.m., turned the fan on, woke up again with completely dry mouth.  A little Sprite, then coffee and all is good.  Stay safe Kay, and you too Kevin.  I remember our orthopedic floor at the hospital stayed busy in this weather.  

• Like 1

It was 10 at my house yesterday morning.  20 today but dropping.  Going through a lot more wood!  No more snow for a week but still have some frozen.
My friend Mike (Iris' husband) is in the hospital, they're running tests...haven't heard anything yet, concerned...

• Like 1

Good morning, had a Medical dominated week....Top news Second EKO Cardiogram on my heart showed no problem, Personal yearly check up was OK(lost 12 lbs), did a Bone scan, and was at clinic for an hour for Blood work.....Our bad weather is over for about 7-10 days.....Babysitting grandkid today, its her  7th birthday tomorrow...Her Grand mother has quite the party planned .........Watching east coast Temps today, tad chilly..

• Like 2

WATCH: Live Look Atop Mt. Washington,,(New Hampshire Which Just Set a Wind Chill Record of -109
By Saturday at 7 a.m., temperatures had dipped as far down as -45 degrees, two degrees shy of the lowest ever, with a wind chill that made it feel like -109, a new wind chill record for the observatory.........ALL time record anywhere

• Sad 2

Kevin, those low temps scare me.  We have a two day cold snap with it getting down to 20 to 30 degrees and they are warning us about hypothermia.  My electricity bill was the highest it has ever (in my life) been.  I turned it down to 72 and am wearing sweater in the house.  My granddaughter has a weird hypothyroidism, her levels run normal with medications, but she freezes while I am sweltering.  Our apartments were built in the 1970's and some rooms are just colder than others.  I gave her the largest room with private bath and she just froze.  She is living back with her mom now and i can turn temperature down.  We saw the sun the last two days and our bayous are running over the banks into people's houses.  This happens often, but I am high and dry, and comfortable. I would be satisfied with 70's daytime and 50's at night.  Give it a day or two and we will have that.  Then the rain and tornadoes.  The poor tulip tree behind my apartment had bloomed out, the bulb flowers had started blooming, but we are not through with winter yet.  I think maybe, (I hope) that it is not our humid coldness and maybe it is a dry cold and maybe able to be tolerated more.  In my memories on Facebook, 12 years ago we lived almost 200 miles to the north and I had filled the freezer with snow ice cream.  Put into the blender and it was good to go.  Y'all stay  inside and stay warm.

• Like 1

WOW! Can't even comprehend how cold that would be. I've seen rescues in that area on "North Woods Law". Rugged and dangerous and those were in summer. Coldest I've experienced is -10 in Ky. Thought I was a popsicle.

No complaints here. In the 70's which will be nice for all the Super Bowl fans next weekend. Expecting a zillion visitors to the valley.

• Like 2

Wow, that's unreal, I couldn't take it.  Canada is gorgeous, but oh so cold!

• Like 1

Marg, 20-30 sounds normal to me...when it got down to 10 it scared me for Panther (feral outdoor cat), but was so relieved to see him come from the carport, I knew he'd made his way from car to rafters to attic about storage room where water tank and pipes are and I had a heater going in it.  He found the heat.

• Like 1

Keto and the intermittent fasting is a key to brain health....Did the Birthday party thing last night with Judi's Great granddaughter...Quite the show, Someone dressed up like Mouse and kids all singing and having great time....Sad side her Mother called us at 3:30 AM from a waiting room looking for money....it was so sad, doesn't remember its her Daughters birthday but remembered our number(used someone elses phone)....told her to call back during daytime hours....Called back two more times within the hour....Quiet now

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Wow.  And you are very correct, Keto can reverse dementia...the key is getting someone to agree to doing it.  I wanted to with my sister but she wouldn't...ate sweets all the time, Diabetic, never checked her BS.  Meanwhile the dementia worsened...
She passed before she got to stage IV like my mom.  That was her answer to prayer, she got to die in her easy chair in her own home.  She was fortunate...we were not.  :(

So sorry you're going through this, Kevin.

Keto sounds terrific.  Some stupid people let their colons rupture and many more have colon diseases that make Keto foods death traps.  Although, in some cases, I've seen it helps some. I used to follow the Atkins strictly.  Of course that was years before the inevitable radiation side effect happened.  I can have fats, I can have carbs, I cannot have fiber.  Only, one time the doc said I could start wheat bread.  The nutritionist could not believe a person could live on this diet.  I've learned though, the main thing I crave is stuffed celery.  No, I won't try it.  I won't gripe (though my stomach will), but I've lived 9 years next month on this unheard of way to eat.  I have Community Praline Pecan coffee and Pecan creamer.  Anything with coconut, even just the flavoring will have me adding another cross on my bathroom wall.  Please God, I promise not to eat.............again.  So far I am riding just below diabetic levels.  And, all this is rolled along with the dose of MiraLax each night.  

• Like 1

Keto is amazing, I'm on it for life, it controls my Diabetes, reversed my cirrhosis of the liver, Fuch's Dystrophy of the corneas, IBS, got me off of statins and diabetic Rxs, my insulin resistance is 1.1 (they want it below 1.5, mine was over 5 when I started), neuropathy and food allergies gone, reversed kidney damage, high Calcium and WBC normalized, Asthma gone, and weight normal!  I am so sorry for what happened to your system all those years ago and that you can't tolerate fiber.  It must be very hard for you to live like that!