Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Kay, I can only imagine how you must have felt hearing all of this and now trying to digest it all. Hopefully you can discuss the findings with your family and be confident on the path you will take from here.

I would definitely have your record changed regarding the liver disease. When my husband passed away, someone suggested I get a copy of all his narrative medical records, which I did. All of them were accurate except for one of the radiologist's who first looked at my husband. In the patient description under his name it referred to him throughout as a female and listed a couple procedures he never had done. While none of it affected how he was cared for, it was the fact that his file was inaccurate. When I called to have it corrected, the office mgr said in her 20+ years she's never had someone read medical narratives much less request corrections. It took several weeks for her to get back with me but she said the doctor agreed to correct, and he did.

I wish you comfort and safety as you visit your family this week. Sue

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear Kay,

Woof. Talk about getting hit in the head with everything at once...

I have no words of advice--only encouragement. You'll get through this. You're about as tough as they come. Know that you are always in my heart and in my thoughts.

Be well.

Peace,

Harry

Oh My Goodness Kay...what a lot to get hit with. As for the liver thing...my Mom was diagnosed with liver disease many years ago...they also ask if she drank a lot....my Mom never drank anything in her life, she was a Baptist preachers wife, and if she ever drank anything I never knew it. They did explain that liver disease can be caused from other things, but that alcohol is usual. So sorry you are getting hit with so much. The gallbladder surgery is usually an outpatient surgery, and if you can get them right on it, you might can get it done before end of year. Just explain the reason you need it done right away. I had mine out over 30 years ago, and have never missed it. :wacko: The diabetic remark about the gallbladder makes no sense. As Anne said, I know also you will make good decisions, when you have time to digest all of this. Will be praying for you, and keeping you close in my thoughts and heart.

QMary

I got the imaging place to say they'd correct their evaluation and send it to me and to my doctor. I'm waiting for my doctor to send a referral to the surgeon so I can schedule the evaluation. I started back on Prism Weight Loss yesterday, I think I'll do well with it and it should reverse the liver problems. I'll start the three medications for the ulcer and bronchitis on Friday as it will knock me down and make me miserable for two weeks. :) I'm also going to get some Magnesium when I go to my son's Thursday as I heard that helps break up gallstones...can't hurt. Quit taking Calcium as my levels are too high. My white blood cells being too high are probably because of the Bronchitis or possibly the ulcer. I just have to tackle everything one thing at a time, like I always do. I'm amazed fae is getting results with medical personnel, no easy feat!

Kay, dear heart, I hope you know that we are praying for you, too, and hoping that all your physical problems will be addressed in the days ahead. I'm so sorry that you've been hit with so much all at once. But as is so typical of you, there you are, fighting like a trouper, grabbing the bull by the horns and taking charge as you always do. I am in awe of you. Just know that we care, and we are pulling for you ~ hard.

Thank you!

This quote from Parker J.Palmer (on his FB page) expresses my thought right now ~

As we go about our lives dealing with our own issues may we know that we are not alone. I too "love life in the company of strangers." Our light will never go out as long as one of us sends out loving kindness to another.

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." —Albert Schweitzer

Every day, when I check this page, I want to pick up the phone and make some calls to say, "Thank you!" Since I can't do that, I want to express my gratitude here, on Thanksgiving Day.

Some of you have rekindled my light by sharing a bit of your story. Some by offering observations or insights. Some by asking important questions. Some by joining me in laughter or in sorrow. Some by saying "Yes" and some by saying "No."

The 38,500 readers of this page are a wonderfully diverse group—including many who live outside the U.S.—and I've been rekindled by the collective as well as by individuals. I love life in the company of strangers, who always turn out to be kin as I learn more about their stories. In the process, I come to feel more deeply at home on the face of this wonderfully diverse planet.

So thank you for enlightening me and thank you for enlivening me. I can't speak my gratitude aloud every time I feel it. But please know how often I say a silent "Thank you!" for the company of friends and the kindness of strangers...

10172690_10152477233257078_4400120303239

So beautiful Anne, you always have the right words to say that make my heart overflow. You cannot know how grateful I am to have met you, and many others on this site, and how much you have all helped me along in this journey. "The company of friends and the kindness of strangers"...strangers here become quickly friends, and I am so grateful.

We have all lost so much, but we also have much, in each other and in our families and friends.

QMary

Our loved ones would (are) be so please we have found blessed people we can share our deepest feelings with. There is no one near me physically that I can do that with. Our daughter is too busy and anyway I don't wish to distress her. My best friend and neighbour has medical issues which make me reluctant to trouble her. But I know I can talk to people here. I'm sure I'm like many of you and still hold back often from sharing deep sadness in the hope that it will be a passing thing. My grief, always present, ebbs and flows. We are all ultimately alone inside our heads but if we can share a little I'm sure it helps.

I feel as you all have expressed, very grateful for each of you, I think of you as my friends that just happen to live far away. I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving.

Well, Thanksgiving weekend over, and after a couple of days of really nice weather (60s and 70s), it is below freezing today, and ice is supposed to happen this afternoon. burr. Had nice day with my daughter's fiancé's family on Thanksgiving day, and Sunday evening had "left overs" thanksgiving with some of my friends. It was fun. I did not have left overs to share as I did not cook for Thanksgiving this year, but I took appetizers. My friend Tom got a new 60 inch TV during the sales (a retirement gift for himself, he is retiring effective today), we watched Phantom of the Opera on it last night....very impressive.

Had a quick trip to Mountain Home yesterday. Just as I was ready to leave for church, my niece called telling me that my sister Lois had been taken to ER near the nursing home, and the ER was sending her to be admitted to Baxter in Mtn. Home. c.diff is gone (tested negative last 4 times), but now looks like pneumonia is back, and a urinary tract infection....grrr. Instead of church, I drove to Mtn. Home, and was there when my sister arrived by ambulance. She was very happy to see me. The rest of the family did not get there for an hour or so. The doctor is concerned that the antibiotics for the pneumonia will precipitate another round of c.diff, so I think they are going to try to head that off somehow. If the hospital keeps her for a period of 3 to 5 days, (not sure which), then maybe the 100 days can be rewound, and we can start over on her rehab.....we are hopeful. I had not seen her in several weeks, and of course she was having trouble breathing and was coughing, but I could not see any physical improvement at all since last time I saw her, except her talking was better, and she was mostly in the moment. I continue to appreciate your thoughts and prayers for her.

QMary

I am reading this latest news about your sister, QMary, and want you to know that she is in my prayers. I am so glad that you were there to meet her when she arrived at Mtn. Home.

QMary,

I am so sorry about your sister...I'm glad the c.diff is gone and hope it doesn't return. I hope she gets good care in the hospital and they'll see her through this pneumonia. I imagine she was delighted to see you there! You and your sister have my prayers.

Congratulations on your friend's retirement. I'm glad you were able to enjoy Thanksgiving before all of this hit. I hope in a few days you'll have good news to share and your sister can once again be on the mend and working on her rehab.

I know this is hard...know you are being held by each of us here.

Dear QMary,

I am holding you and your sister in my prayers and heart today.

I hope the hospital stay re-sets the therapy clock, and that the infections can be brought under control in a good way, and that you will see some improvement very soon.

fae

Thank you all for your concern, we are being told this does NOT reset the clock, so to speak. She would have to go home for 2 months for that to happen, and she cannot do that. My brother and I will be seeing her tomorrow.

Fae, have you had your surgery.....anxious to hear how you are doing.

QMary

• 2 months later...

OUCH! I finally went to the dentist today & had my bad tooth extracted. It had been breaking off a piece at a time starting last June the night before my flight to Kentucky. It never hurt much but caused jaw infections several times. After the last one, I said "Enough". This extraction was a real zinger. The tooth wanted to stay & it took the dentist forever to get it out. He had to cut it in several pieces & pull it a little at a time. Needless to say, I wasn't looking forward to the Novocaine wearing off & the pain & severe gum swelling is as expected. Fortunately, I have some pain meds left from the last infection which are helping some. I liken to this having my wisdom teeth chiseled out by an oral surgeon many years ago. I was asleep for that one & it took me several days to recover. I am becoming wimpy in my old age.

On another note, my grandson is much the same, but not talking suicide anymore. Mostly he is just not talking. He did manage to tell me that if I requested outside help, he would off himself on the spot. One morning I woke to his sobbing & tried to comfort him. He simply gave me a hateful look and said "Don't touch me", so I left him alone. Shortly afterward, the police were at my door asking about him. He had been online & someone sent them to my house. The only person who would have the address is his ex-girlfriend in England so I'm assuming it was her.

So many of us here just doing our best to survive. I know we will be okay, but sometimes the boulders in the road seem insurmountable. I think of Butch & all that he continues to endure. I just wish he & is family would get a break.

Off to watch TV & read hoping this crazy pain will dissapate.

Karen