Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after 1 year

I picked up the car I bought on Thursday from a client of mine.  It is a 2004 Buick Park Ave.  The same style and color of car we had before. I humbly asked and wanted for my sister and her hubby to chauffeur me from my home to the car.  I was expecting my sister to call around 10am.  After 12:30 I decided to call and see what the plans were. They finally came around 2:30pm.  I should have done more research and checked out the car.  Apparently the A/C doesn't work and there must be a leak somewhere because the windows get steamed up.  It rained hard and there was a long traffic delay to get home. 

The care rides nice but it is just not the same without my precious bride by my side.  We would hold hands everywhere.  Apparently I have some repair work to do, lights, a/c, etc... It's too hot to drive it in this heat.

Then when I get home, my home alarm system turned itself off twice within an hour.  I also accidentally set off the panic alarm when I was getting ready to leave earlier. It's another roller coaster day of emotions. " This too shall pass"  Shalom   

• Upvote 4

George, I think it is we have one semi-good day, then a trip to the dumpster day.  Meeting all my friends today was sort of uplifting.  I asked my friend I went with if she still talked to her husband.  She said she does when she goes to the grave, but otherwise she doesn't.  She told me I was still early into it.  Oh, I think I will talk to  him till my last day and then maybe get to talk to him more.  I keep thinking about that song that says "some days are diamonds, some days are coal."  I would settle for rhinestones.  I wish you peace.

Sometimes I hear a car door open or close and I have to remind myself that I live in an apartment now.  

• Upvote 3

I won't be able to be on much in the next couple of weeks or so, something is wrong with my internet.  They show I used 10% of my monthly data allotment a day I was gone all day and had my computer off.  I've been watching it the last couple of days, hardly using it, and still it's going up.  I may have to schedule a technician, they had me reset the modem, but I was told different things by different people so I don't know what to think.

Also I'm going to be gone all week this next week.

George, I'm sorry there are some problems with the car.  Maybe it's just a hose?  Is there a smell along with the fogging up?  Could be heater core, I hope it's just the A/C though, nicer to have one problem than two.

Marg, I always talk to George, if not out loud, then in my mind.  I always will.

• Upvote 3

KayC,

With your internet usage, you can check your usage each day.  Most internet providers have tools.  Make sure your  cable/router has a secure firewall and your WIFI is password protected. When you are gone, unplug the modem/router .  If there is still usage then internet provider definitely has a problem.  If you have NETFLIX change the view settings to a lower bandwidth.  We got hit with that initially because we didn't know that Netflix default was at HD (High Definition) and High bandwidth.  Live and learn.

I will check into the Heater core issue later this week.  This is my busier work schedule week.  It is a little cooler today with some rain finally.  Shalom

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Do you ever just get frustrated beyond belief?  This morning, I went to make four more hard boiled eggs and couldn't find the tray that the eggs sit on for the microwave.  I use it twice a week and thought I always put it back in the same place so I can use it again.  I spent a half hour looking for it this morning and another hour tonight.  I've looked everywhere I can imagine including the trash.It seems to have disappeared into thin air.  I know how to make hard boiled eggs without this gadget but it is very handy and easy to use. 

I have misplaced other things as well.  Like a check that I was sure i put in the office to cash and now can't find it.  The bank has no record of sending the check to me.  Was this a dream or real?  I think it is real.  When this stuff happens it really shakes what little confidence I may have had.  This grief brain fog still stinks.  ... Just needed to vent.  You watch in a few days it will mysteriously reappear. Grrrr.... - Shalom

• Upvote 3

George, you don't know how many times I have gone to do something and found I already did it.  I truly have no recollection I did.  I was looking for a spoon I needed to make dinner tonight and found I had put it away with a pan in the cabinet.  These things bother me but more so the feeling of unease that accompanies me no matter what.  The fog makes me hyper alert because I know I can disassociate easily.  Not good for driving.  Thing is, I can't turn it off when I get home.  I forget ho it feels to relax.

• Upvote 4

I don't know, George, it has to be grief brain, cuz it can't be old age! :D  I hope you find the check and the gadget!  I do stuff like that too, and it's weird because I'm very methodical and not the kind of person to just put things in random places, so you'd think, even if my brain wasn't working, I'd still put stuff in the places that I normally would!

I've been keeping a close eye on the data usage and it's better than it was.  Even though the internet provider didn't think it was my cell phone using it, they said it was web browsing (I don't know how they'd know) and they seemed to think it was on my PC.  BUT I got my new cell phone right before the usage went up drastically.  My son is a computer engineer, among other things, so I called him and he said it absolutely could be the cell phone, he's going to take a look at it when I see him next and see what all is running in the background that doesn't need to be.  Right now I'm keeping it turned off at home and keeping a close eye when it's charging that I turn it off as soon as it's done.  (It turns on automatically when I charge it).  I've been closing my browsers more and turning my PC off when I won't be using it for a few hours.

My son walked me through how to check my usage on my router, to see which device is using the data up, but I don't have the password to get into it.  The Dish Network guy that sold me the router and set it up for me did not give me the admin password, only the password for wifi, so I can't get into it.  My son said there's a way to reset it but then you have to re-set up all of the settings and that sounds way over my head, I'll let him do it next time he's here, then I can have the password to check my devices' usage.

Yes I have a password on my wifi, on my computer too, and yes all of my passwords are different.  Anything sensitive has even more complicated passwords.

• Upvote 2

George, you are not alone with the grief brain.  I was always organized and everything had it's place, but now I'm finding things in odd places and don't remember putting it there.  I especially have a problem with going into a room and forgetting what I've gone in there for.  Hopefully this will get better for all of us!

Joyce

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, kayc said:

I don't know, George, it has to be grief brain, cuz it can't be old age! :D 

I've been keeping a close eye on the data usage and it's better than it was.  Even though the internet provider didn't think it was my cell phone using it, they said it was web browsing (I don't know how they'd know) and they seemed to think it was on my PC.  BUT I got my new cell phone (A) right before the usage went up drastically.  My son is a computer engineer, among other things, so I called him and he said it absolutely could be the cell phone, he's going to take a look at it when I see him next and see what all is running in the background that doesn't need to be.  Right now I'm keeping it turned off at home and keeping a close eye when it's charging that I turn it off as soon as it's done.  (It turns on automatically when I charge it  (B) ).  I've been closing my browsers more and turning my PC off when I won't be using it for a few hours.

My son walked me through how to check my usage on my router, to see which device is using the data up, but I don't have the password to get into it.  The Dish Network guy that sold me the router and set it up for me did not give me the admin password, only the password for wifi, so I can't get into it. (C)   My son said there's a way to reset it but then you have to re-set up all of the settings and that sounds way over my head, I'll let him do it next time he's here, then I can have the password to check my devices' usage.

Yes I have a password on my wifi, on my computer too, and yes all of my passwords are different.  Anything sensitive has even more complicated passwords.

Well, I sure feel old at 61 at the end of the day!

(A)  You can put the phone in AIRPLANE MODE  check under the SETTINGS. This will turn off an additional draining stuff. Also have your son check a program called ONAVO .  It is a free app that will cu your data usage in half, yet still works great.

(B)  Even thought the phone comes on, you should be able to turn it back off while charging and it should still charge.

(C)  Usually the admin password will be your WIFI password.  But I am not familiar with the DISH setup. You can do a search to find out what your wifi URL is.  I know for LINKSYS it is http://192.168.1.1   or ask DISH NETWORK support to help you.

HOPE this helps.  Shalom

• Upvote 1

Nope, I've tried every password I could think of!  I don't need my cellphone on at home, it doesn't have coverage here anyway, I just use it when I'm away from home or need to send a text.  I've tried turning the phone off while charging, it sneaks back on.  He had me enter
Windows+R
cmd enter

ipconfig enter

From there I got my PC address & netgear router address

from there I got d-link login but it says username is admin & I don't have the pw

I called Dish network (they sold me the router and set it up) and they have not a clue.  I tried everything they suggested it might be...but it isn't.  Oh well, I'll assume it's the cellphone since that's what changed.

• Upvote 2

I called the kid's name that set it up and he gave me the pw but I have not a clue what I'm looking at or for.  Waiting for a call back from my son. :)

• Upvote 2

I'm glad you got the password. You want to make sure the firewall is turned on and to turn OFF the guest WIFI.  I would also count the devices you have that can link to it and limit it to them.  Your son probably has more information than I have.  - Shalom

• Upvote 1

On 8/9/2016 at 8:05 PM, iPraiseHim said:

Do you ever just get frustrated beyond belief?  This morning, I went to make four more hard boiled eggs and couldn't find the tray that the eggs sit on for the microwave gadget.

The good news is I found it. 

I tried to make some hard boiled eggs on Wednesday but they turned out to be just soft boiled..

This morning, I woke and resigned that I lost it and ordered another on AMAZON. I was prepping for work and found it at the bottom of my one gallon jug of water I carry to work.  Apparently it {FROZE} onto a block of ice i placed it on while I was making more ice blocks. So I needed to cancel the order before it was shipped.. The internet access for Amazon was extremely slow but eventually I did get it cancelled.

So the moral of my story is I need to be more "mindful" and awake when I am doing what I am doing so I can miss some of these mishaps.  I was thinking about this whole situation and blaming it on grief brain but as I thought about things like this happen to me when I'm not fully paying attention to what I am doing.  

• Upvote 4

23 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

I was thinking about this whole situation and blaming it on grief brain but as I thought about things like this happen to me when I'm not fully paying attention to what I am doing.  

I think it's a combination of grief brain, lack of concentration and being a member of AARP. ;)

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, mittam99 said:

I think it's a combination of grief brain, lack of concentration and being a member of AARP. ;)

Funny dude. I'm only 61.  Lol

• Upvote 4

It's rare but today I am having a good day.  I can't contribute it to anything specific.

I have been praying for a long time that God would change my heart to be willing to be willing to clean and fix my home.  I spent all week cleaning others that I am just not motivated to do my own.  I do the basics but there is so much more I could do if I had the energy, willingness, and motivation to do it.  I started a little last night and I have been doing more today than I have in many months. 

It is still extremely hot and humid and will be all week.  I was thinking about going for a walk but it is just too hot for that.

It does feel good to finally be working on getting my home squared away.  Pray that I can continue to get something  done each day.  Lots of home repair and mend projects to do.

I still have not sorted through Rose Anne clothes and other possessions.  I am still not ready to face that yet.  - Shalom

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Widowedbysuicide said:

I like a good giggle!  Thanks Mitch and George.

So 61 eh?  So George are you like a fine 55 Chevy or what?  I figure I'm a solid 57 Chevy, lol.

More like an overstuffed AMC PACER.  I was carded last year at the grocery store.  The cashier thought I was about 45.  When I showed her my ID, she said, " You get along pretty good for a 60 year old!". I said Thank you Mam ( She was in her twenties).

• Upvote 3

It's great to hear that today is a good day. 

8 minutes ago, iPraiseHim said:

It's rare but today I am having a good day.  I can't contribute it to anything specific.

I have been praying for a long time that God would change my heart to be willing to be willing to clean and fix my home.  I spent all week cleaning others that I am just not motivated to do my own.  I do the basics but there is so much more I could do if I had the energy, willingness, and motivation to do it.  I started a little last night and I have been doing more today than I have in many months. 

It is still extremely hot and humid and will be all week.  I was thinking about going for a walk but it is just too hot for that.

It does feel good to finally be working on getting my home squared away.  Pray that I can continue to get something  done each day.  Lots of home repair and mend projects to do.

I still have not sorted through Rose Anne clothes and other possessions.  I am still not ready to face that yet.  - Shalom

I too struggle with the fixing of the house inside and out.  Sometimes I get things done and it feels good until I see those things that are still waiting to be repaired/cleaned/sorted.

Best of luck on your tasks George.  Keep up the good example

Marita

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, iPraiseHim said:

More like an overstuffed AMC PACER.  I was carded last year at the grocery store.  The cashier thought I was about 45.  When I showed her my ID, she said, " You get along pretty good for a 60 year old!". I said Thank you Mam ( She was in her twenties).

A Pacer... really?  I figured you for a Buick LeSabre, stylish - conservative - lots of go with good economy :) 

George, where do you shop?  Wow, you can't get much better than that!

• Upvote 3

Hey, there's nothing wrong with a Pacer, I use to have one!!!  Yes, George, good for you to have found the energy the work around your house.  I need to do the same, but just don't have that energy yet, some day I hope. 

Joyce

• Upvote 3

Mitch, mine was a bright blue with a white top and blue and white interior with a blue design in the seats.  Everyone in town knew who I was!  It was pretty and good on gas,  but a piece of crap.  After about a year of owning it, every time I would hit a bump or pot hole in the road going 55 MPH or more, it would quit running.  No body could figure out what was causing it, finally got rid of it about a year after it starting doing that.

Joyce 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, brat#2 said:

After about a year of owning it, every time I would hit a bump or pot hole in the road going 55 MPH or more, it would quit running.  No body could figure out what was causing it...

Too bad I wasn't your mechanic back then. I guess your guys didn't know that AMC put in an "On/Off" switch that would activate on high speed bumps. :lol: Yeah the Pacer was a classic. :huh:

• Upvote 2