Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after 1 year

The good news is I picked up another job for next Monday.  The not-so-good news is my car broke down one block from my home.  It is serious and sounds like the timing belt broke. I am fortunate that I could walk home and get my 2nd car that I just purchased.  I transferred all of my tools and supplies to the other car.  Just as I finished my friend towed my car to the repair shop.  The repair shop is back logged so will not be worked on for 2-3 days at least.  Thankfully, my car has a timing belt and not a timing chain so the repair cost will be less. 

My second car ( Buick Park Ave) air conditioning does not work but hopefully the high temperatures are dropping down in the 80's for the rest of the week.  I will be looking for an accessory fan to plug into the cigarette lighter. I don't smoke but I do accessorize! :D - Shalom 

• Upvote 4

It always seems to be something, doesn't it George? My 2003 Ford Taurus has only 33,000 miles on it.  My mechanic works on it twice a year and wants to buy it.  It was Jim's car and is still in perfect condition and I just can't think of not having it.  

Today I gave my landscaper some yard tools that belonged to Jim. They have been sitting in the garage for over five years. I do not use them. One of his helpers is just starting up in business and can really use them. One of my Italian Cypress trees has bit the dust and had to be taken down today. One of the tools they used belonged to Jim! Bittersweet.

• Upvote 3

I gave away so much stuff of Billy's.  I thought I was going to feel guilty, but I could not use the fishing rods he used.  The kids got the ones they wanted.  I'm thinking now I should have given them to his nephew Mike, and feeling some bad.  Some how or the other, you just don't think straight at times and you have to leave things behind.  I don't think about that house I left.  The truck my son took was newer and in better shape, but I keep the little Ford Ranger up and it is almost purple.  It gets me where I am going.  

I'm talking big, but I still have those 17 boxes I have not unpacked.  I will wait till after that year is up, maybe longer.  

We talk about keeping up houses, keeping up vehicles, I guess I could rent a vehicle too.  I like tiny cars.  The Ford Ranger is small, but I like smaller.  Guess if it goes out I will lease a car.  Gotta teach my granddaughter to drive first.  She is afraid.  My cousin was in her 60s before she learned how to drive.  We are a little backward sometimes in the south. 

• Upvote 3

I can't get rid of Ron's truck either.  He was SO proud of it.  It has new tires.  The big off-road ones that he wanted.  When I finally gave in and he got them, boy did he beam for a week, SO proud of them.  "Arrr, Arrr, Arr!" he'd laugh, like the guy on Home Improvement.

We had just finished paying it off.  The last resort was going to be to sell it to pay for (part of) my daughter's last year of college, but the school came through with Endowments and Scholarships because of our situation. I also found out that the $160K in Parent Plus student loans he took out on my daughter's behalf for the first three years of her college are now TOTALLY forgiven because he is gone.  I literally high fived the air above my head when I found out.  He would have loved that I don't have to stress about that for years to come.  He had no life insurance.

The truck is hard to drive emotionally.  The smell of it.  The memories.  But it does come in handy for the big pasta deliveries... the big off-island deliveries no longer fit in my red "pasta-mobile" Kia Sportage that he bought me on Valentine's Day the year before.

• Upvote 4

Such good news for you Patty!  We all deserve a break once in a while.

It is hard to drive their vehicles at first but I found a connection to Kathy doing so. I feel her when my hands are holding the wheel. I remember how she looked in it. I would always call it her car and she would constantly say "Our car" but it was hers. She just had this thing that we shared everything. One day I looked through the clothes in her closet and asked, "Do you mind if I wear one of our dresses tonight?  Silly girl.

By the way, do you think we could put out some of the pastas on the table with other object offered at the auction? I think being from you would be kind of cool.

• Upvote 3

George, I'm sorry your car broke down, and esp. sorry that it might be expensive.  BUT if it had to happen, it sounds like someone was looking out for you, 1) you were close to home, 2) you'd just bought another car, 3) your friend was able to tow it for you.  AND you picked up another job!  Maybe that will help cover the expense.  I know sometimes when the belts break it can cause serious damage, I pray that's not the case for you.

• Upvote 3

This is the week that I have to say goodbye to my horse.  He has been my goofy sidekick and riding buddy for nearly 12 years.  It breaks my heart but my Gord can look after him in heaven.

There is always something else that is like a kick in the head.  Very difficult dealing with things without our partners make it so much harder.

I'm glad no one is reporting bad news from the hurricane: I hope it means no news is good news.  

Belts and chains.... I can think a few different things hearing that combination.  

Take care all.

• Upvote 4

Oh Marita, I'm so sorry! :(  Anne, you're so right, it's hard to have a loss without that person we're used to going through life with.  

• Upvote 4

Despite my car breaking down, I had a good day.  I woke up thinking about where I could find the fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter.  I am not very good organizing where stuff goes. I prayed and was lead directly to where it was.  It makes a difference.  I called the shop to confirm they received the car.  It will be a few days before I found out if it is repairable and how much. 

The car i bought a couple of months ago was a 1994 Buick Park Ave.   I helped Rose Anne buy a 1989 Buick Park Ave in the same color; Champagne.  It is a smooth running car but the A/C needs recharging.   i just never got around to it.

I got home at 5:30 pm and my Dad called and ask if I still planned on coming over???  I called yesterday and reminded him I was coming to visit and share dinner on Wednesday after work about 4:30pm.  Apparently he got busy today and got the days mixed up.  He seems always happy to see me.  I look forward to seeing him tomorrow. 

Now I need to finish the Estimated Quarterly Tax Reports and Payments that are due on the 15th.  - Shalom

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, iPraiseHim said:

Now I need to finish the Estimated Quarterly Tax Reports and Payments that are due on the 15th.

Ugh.  That's what I was trying to work on (quarterlies) at the church when the electricity went out yesterday.  Oh well, will do it next week. :)

• Upvote 3

Marita, my heart goes out to you losing your riding buddy.  Most times it is my furry friends that are my greatest support system.  People that aren't into animals (tho they forget we are ones too) do not understand the gift they pocess of being in the moment and unconditional caring and love they give.  They don't care if we are at our best or worst, they are just there unlike the many stories here of people abandoning us.  There is a give and take with them that is very pure.  That you have to face this is so cruel. I wish I knew something to say that could help.

• Upvote 3

I did one of the hardest things almost 3 months ago. I traded in Rich's Dodge Nitro and my truck for a brand new Jeep Cherokee. My truck was 10 years old and the suv was 9 years old. I had to do it. They both needed repairs and I simply couldn't keep up with both of them. I thought about it for months. Finally just decided that I needed to do it. It was hard. Almost cried when I was in the dealership. I think it helped me get a good deal though. I know Richard would have been happy for me. It was the first time ever that I bought a brand new vehicle by myself.

Marita,

I'm so sorry about your horse. (((HUGS)))

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

People that aren't into animals

My daughter has been an animal lover all her life.  We have had more animals in and out of our house than we have had human friends.  I have seen her lose her dogs and her cats and know a member of her family has gone.  I have had so much responsibility all my life, I just do not want to be responsible for an animal.  I had so many of my pets die, and I just choose not to have one.  But don't ever think I do not know the feeling of losing my animal friends.  I kept Midget for about 15 years and Daddy had brought him to me in a match box when I was a little kid.  Mama would not let me keep him in the house.  He would sit on the porch at Halloween and just wet all over the porch but he was not going to let those monsters inside the house.  He was a tiny thing.  I hate it when any of you lose your fur babies and a horse has to be a very big hurt too.  My heart goes out to each of you and I know you are hurting.  I just dread when my daughter calls crying, and it has happened a lot in her 49 years.  But, I will never have another one.  I am at the age, he would outlive me and how cruel would that be?

• Upvote 4

Marita,

I'm so sorry about your horse. I often wonder what happened to my daughter's horse, Shania after her husband lost their home. She was like a big puppy and followed Debbie everywhere.

• Upvote 4

I completed my Estimate taxes so I can pay Uncle Sam and the state Revenuers.  I am getting ready for work and plan to visit my dad and sister this evening.  It feels good to get some paperwork done. 

I still have much more to do with filing my extensions and the 3rd Quarter Estimated Business taxes.  I don't owe any amounts since I don't have any workers, but if I don't file the paper work on time there are some heavy penalties. 

We get to do all the paperwork for free so that we can earn our own income. We get to pay 15.3% taxes on everything we earn.  That does not include Federal, State, and local income taxes.  Most people don't realize that self-employment taxes are higher for us than working for someone else. 

We still live in the greatest country in the world and are blessed with much more freedoms than the rest of the world. - Shalom

• Upvote 3

Karen, do you not hear from your SIL anymore?  I'm sorry he lost their home.  It's sad to think about a pet being rehomed when someone dies.

George, glad you got the job done.  I hate doing quarterlies, taxes, etc.  A necessary evil, I guess.

• Upvote 2

Kay,

I can't remember the last time I heard from my SIL or Kentucky grandchildren "Out of sight, out of mind", I guess. I try not to dwell on it. He had moved to Tennessee where he has friends with land. I hope the little horse went with him. I can only assume my grandchildren are okay. My ex sent me a Christmas card. He remains a kind, caring friend. He had not heard from them in ages and lives in the same town.

Yet another stab to my soul.

• Upvote 3

Heartfelt thanks to all who acknowledged the depth of my sorrows now in preparing to set free my Dakota.  

For those that have never had pets I think you have missed so much joy, laughter, and unconditional love, but it comes at many costs, the hardest of which is them not being with us long enough.  

For those who have never been possessed by a horse...  It is fantastical to fly upon their backs.  And in being with them everyday we thank them for all they give and for not taking our lives.  To ride is to trust your life to a magical wild creature.  Today has been torture knowing what tomorrow brings.  Tomorrow is the final good bye.  

I trust that Gord will be waiting for Dakota at the Rainbow Bridge.  Dakota will be taking my special message to Gord, telling him that no matter what has been in the past or what will be in the future my love and respect for him shall never wane.  They can go together and join with our many other animal and human friends.  

Marty, that photo you posted is beautiful.

I have hopes that everyone will have better days soon to come.

• Upvote 6